Start by marking “The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder (Herringford and Watts, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder (Herringford and Watts, #1)

The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder

(Herringford and Watts Mysteries #1)

In 1910 Toronto, while other bachelor girls perfect their domestic skills and find husbands, two friends perfect their sleuthing skills and find a murderer.

Inspired by their fascination with all things Sherlock Holmes, best friends and flatmates Merinda and Jem launch a consulting detective business. The deaths of young Irish women lead Merinda and Jem deeper i
Published March 1st 2016 by Harvest House

To ask other readers questions about The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder, please sign up.
Rachel McMillan Carissa: sorry I missed your question. You do not have to read the prequel novella at all. The novella drops you into the action and fleshes out a…moreCarissa: sorry I missed your question. You do not have to read the prequel novella at all. The novella drops you into the action and fleshes out a case the girls have but you can start directly with the novel and learn everything you need to know :)

Hope that helps :)(less)

Rachel McMillan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Super biased, of course, but that Italian reporter is a SUPER dish! ;)
Alyssa
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Original Sherlock Holmes tales and Fans of Sherlock (BBC)
So I first heard of this story over a year ago (I can't believe it's been that long already) when a friend of mine, I don't remember who, posted a comment on a photo of Rachel McMillan signing her book deal for a Sherlockian novel. The word Sherlockian was all it took for me to get excited for this story. And that story is now out in the world, well at least to those of us who got to read it early.

The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder set in 1910 Victorian Toronto, Canada is the story of amateur
Staci
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun debut!

In The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder, Jemima and Merinda are both single in early 1900s Toronto. They are unconventional for the time period and dress up as men to help solve mysteries. This novel is full of calamities the two main characters get involved with. There is also a blossoming romance in the pages. One of my favorite parts of the novel was the end of each chapter which provided additional information or foot note for the chapter.

I look forwar
Kara
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
After enjoying the pleasurable read that was A Singular and Whimsical Problem, I was so ready to spend an entire book with Jem and Merinda. And what a ride it is! I surely do love these ladies, with all their quirkiness, confident posturing (Merinda), and doubtful wonderings (Jem), as they go barreling headlong into trouble. They are determined to make a go of their detective business, but it's 1910 and lady detectives are simply unheard of! This does, of course, not deter them. (Naturally.) Whi ...more
Rissi
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my weaknesses is historical settings set in or around the 1900s. I know the blame for this lies squarely on the shoulders of Julian Fellowes and a little drama called Downton Abbey. This is partial reason why the debut novel of Rachel McMillan rose up to be one of my most anticipated reads of 2016. Never mind its premise being completely different, it became the one novel I was 99.9% sure of 100% adoring. Helping to sell this educated guess of mine was the beautiful and swirly cover art t ...more
Jocelyn Green
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot remember the last time I had this much fun reading a book! I fell in love with all the main characters, but especially Merinda Herringford, who had me laughing out loud more times than I can count. What a delightful, charming excursion into mysterious Toronto, 1910. The city itself was a character on its own, and the author's love for it came through in her boisterous and colorful rendering of it. Rachel McMillan is an author I can definitely binge read.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Jem and Merinda make me smile.

Some reviews I’ve read said that Merinda is difficult to love, but I found her absolutely delightful. In fact, I enjoyed her even more than I did Jem (whom I also adored). Merinda is, admittedly, a little rough around the social-propriety edges but she is also after all inspired by Sherlock Holmes. Her eccentricities and obvious enthusiasm for crime solving endeared her to me right away – as soon as page 13 in fact when she whips out her magnifying glass
Carole Jarvis
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/1NQqavH

From its ingenious cover to the charm, wit, and wonderful historical detail that fill its pages, The Bachelor Girl’s Guide to Murder is a fascinating and highly entertaining read. This story is different – quite different from anything I’ve ever come across, in fact – and in this case, different is very good.

The Bachelor Girl’s Guide to Murder is the first full-length novel in the Herringford and Watts series – mysteries set during 1910 in Edwardian-era
Hannah
A fun romp of a story, with two irrepressible heroines who are determined to solve some crime, against the better judgment of two guys who, in more official roles, also have an eye on those crimes. It's a lighthearted story with a fun mix of clues and was a really fun one to read.
Galaxy Adventurer
OH MY STARS THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD!!! I NEED THE NEXT BOOK *GRABBY HANDS* I NEED MORE OF JEM AND MERINDA AND RAY AND JASPER
Courtney Clark
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This story is fun and sweet, with just enough action and mystery to propel story while the characters worm their way into your heart in-between the exciting moments! The unique setting and era alone are vivid and memorable. Rachel has combined meticulous research and her imagination resulting in a setting with both historical significance and imagined whimsy (like fictitious public figures and morality squads).

Eccentric is the perfect word for Merinda, while Jem is the romantic and g
Amanda Tero
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whether or not Jem is in, she's in with Merinda and her detective scheme. Though Jem's last name is Watts, she doesn't at all think she compares to Wattson--even though Merinda is determined to be a Sherlock Holmes and refuses to let two mysterious murders go unnoticed in political unrest.

Seriously, who would NOT laugh at the title of this book? It just entices you to the humorous account of two bachelor girls as they get into the detective world. This story had me laughing aloud--an
Chantel
This book was just flat out fun!! Perfect for summer! I had such a great time reading this story. Merinda Herringford and Jem Watts have become one of my favorite crime solving duos!

photo 249cc1e3-5469-4a15-88cb-2a8f4dda0259.jpg

While most bachelor's girls in Toronto, 1910, are finding husbands and polishing their domestic skills. Miranda and Jem decide to launch their detective business. We follow Jem and Miranda on a wild ride, filled with disguises, sneaking around, and danger, as they try to solve the death of a young Irish woman. Whi
Peggy
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
NOTE: Received as an ARC from Netgalley.

Frothy vintage story of two girl detectives who always get their man. Subtle faith elements balanced with feminism, a swoonyworthy leading man, and a "Morality Squad" (based in fact) that will make you furious.
Hayden

This was a book I've had my eye on from the first moment it appeared on Goodreads-- two lady detectives? In Edwardian times? Inspired by Sherlock Holmes? Obviously, I'm in. While at times bending history to suit its needs, The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder was a fun, quirky romp through 1900s Toronto. And the footnotes. I loved the footnotes. Easily one of my favorite aspects of the book.

I do have a few issues from a theological perspective, as there are a few times that I felt there
Amy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Crackerjacks, this book was bad. I kept peeking at the cover, just to make sure my library didn't have some weird, pre-edited version. I can't believe this book got past an editor. I'm so baffled. I definitely missed the appeal here. Maybe it would have been better if I had known going in that this was Christian fiction? I didn't mind that aspect of the plot but I would definitely have lowered my expectations.
Where to begin? This book is full of weird, switching POVs and a mystery that takes ba
Alicia
What fun! An exciting mystery, dashing gentlemen, strong heroines who aren't afraid to take a stand, and a good dose of humour- what's not to like? No crime is too big or too small for Merinda Herringford and her crime-solving partner, Jem Watts (at least, that's what Merinda thinks. Jem's not so sure), who open a consulting detective agency. With the help of friends, including Detective Constable Jasper Forth and newspaper reporter Ray DeLuca, they tackle a case that high society seems to want ...more
Kerry Johnson
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just writing this review makes me smile.

What a fun read! Jem, Merinda, Ray, and Jasper are a quirky, loveable mix of characters searching for answers and battling bad fellas (and discovering love) in this feisty Sherlockian romp through early 1900s Toronto.

There's a lot to love: gorgeous writing, humorous banter (funny footnotes? Check.), mystery, and warm affection between the heroines. Strong-willed Merinda is the leader of this capable detective team, but Jem is her big-hearted, faithful si
Cara Putman
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Toronto is one of the cities on my bucket list that I haven’t visited yet. After reading this book, I feel like I’ve been there — at least a century ago :-)

The characters are fun and quirky with Merinda diving into all kinds of chaos and more than a little uncomfortable in her own skin, and Jem following along because she just can’t say no to Merinda. Together with the help of a demoted police investigator and a reporter, they set out to solve the murders of two young women. The Bach
Sandra Orchard
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fun historical romantic mystery set in 1910 Toronto, featuring two female sleuths who aspire to be like Holmes and Watson, with personalities to match. There are so many unique and whimsical things about this story that made it engaging. The mystery didn't draw me into the story as much as the girl's lives and historical information. I especially enjoyed the unique extras that added to the historical feel of the story, from the cleverly constructed quotes of imagined how-to books of th ...more
Kristen
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I SO wanted to love this book. I'm very sad to say I wasn't able to do that.

The book has some terrific components to it, and for some readers, those may make this a better fit than it was for me.

I did love the view of my city, Toronto, as it was in the early 1900s! It was fun to see my city in its early days, and get a sense of what life was like way back when. Hearing about familiar places and locations was neat and that was a definite plus.

I am also always p
Mikal Dawn
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts:
Jem, Merinda, Jasper, and Ray. Four characters who personify independence, joy, love, wit, and charisma.

This book, on the surface, is a rollicking good time. Lots of smirks, laughs, intelligence, and a bit of romance. What’s under the surface, however, is what makes this book so fascinating. You have two independent women who are “past an age” for proper society. These are women you’d love to know in real life and have on your side. They’re not trying to fit in with
Karen R
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Put on your detective's hat and hang on for a fast moving murder mystery! Toronto, Canada in 1910 makes an interesting backdrop for the slightly awkward pair of women, who are Holmes and Watson wannabees. Breaking most of the social mores of the day to achieve their goal, the pair try to solve the mystery of two murders, with the help of a few faithful friends. Things really heat up the closer they get to the truth, and danger lurks everywhere they roam.
It took a few chapters for me to get into
Beth Vogt
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rachel McMillan's debut novel was a perfect take-along for spring break. It was a fun read, and the author wove in equal parts history and mystery, with a nice thread of romance and a touch of humor that had me smiling. Merinda and Jem are the best of friends, which doesn't mean their friendship is perfect -- but no friendship ever is, right? But they are loyal to one another, and their relationship has room for their differences. I'm looking forward to McMillan's next books.
Christen Krumm
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd give this book a million stars if I could. Love all the characters and can't wait for book two!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THE BACHELOR GIRL'S GUIDE TO MURDER was an absolutely fantastic read! The characters, setting, suspense, and romance were all spot on, blending into a highly enjoyable read. Recommended to readers who like Sherlock Holmes, women who go against societal norms to be detectives and even dress as men to do so part of the time, a fabulous but honest Edwardian historical setting, adventure, suspense, witty banter, some seriously fabulous chemistry, and superb writing.

Want to know more why
Natalie
Mar 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2016
If you want a story with intelligent female characters who solve crimes and who have a strong female friendship....then put this book down immediately.

Ugh. Where to begin?

First off, this is the second book with completely random footnotes that added nothing to the plot. I think they were supposed to add humor...? Well they didn't.

I put this book on my to read list because I thought it would be about two single women who are content to be single and happily solve crimes. I was expecting the "b
Cassie
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-review
Our leading ladies, Jem and Merinda, are all quirks and curiosity. They burst onto the scene of mystery solving with an unparalleled enthusiasm and the insatiable desire to discover the truth. But their severe disregard for danger in the pursuit of that truth proves foolhardy at times.

Suffice it to say Jem and Merinda are quite the handful for their male counterparts. Jasper and Ray are obviously smitten with the ladies, and I wanted to see them on the pages more often. They also pro
Katie
This was a delightfully quirky ode to Sherlock Holmes. I'll be honest, I guessed "whodunit" as soon as the character was inteoduced, but I loved the voice of the narrator and the story. There's just enough dry humor and sarcasm to keep things rolling without overwhelming the story. McMillian mixes mystery, romance, and Sherlock Holmes to create Merinda and Jem. It was an enjoyable read, I am very impressed and am looking forward to the next book!

Thanks to Netgalley and Publishers for/>
Jennie Webb
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute story. Different than what I have been reading. Hope to read the next one soon!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Dressed for Death (Drew Farthering Mystery #4)
  • How a Star Falls
  • Whispers in the Reading Room (The Chicago World's Fair Mystery, #3)
  • From Cairo, With Love (Timeless Romance Single #1)
  • I Really Do Miss Your Smile (Christiansen Family, #0.5)
  • Here to Stay (Where Love Begins, #2)
  • Love Gone Wild (Reality Show #2)
  • Playing the Part (A Class of Their Own, #3)
  • Fetching Sweetness (Love Unleashed, #2)
  • Whispers of Warning (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #2)
  • A Respectable Actress
  • A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England, #1)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • Midnight on the Mississippi (Secrets of the South Mysteries #1)
  • The Thorn Bearer (Penned in Time, #1)
  • Timeless Love: Romantic Stories that Span the Ages
  • The Governess
  • Hawk (Quiet Professionals #2)
Rachel McMillan is the author of The Herringford and Watts mysteries, The Van Buren and DeLuca mysteries and The Three Quarter Time series of contemporary Viennese romances. Her next work of historical fiction, The London Restoration, releases in Summer 2020 and takes readers deep into the heart of London's most beautiful churches. Dream, Plan, Go (May, 2020) is her first work of non-fiction. Rach ...more

Herringford and Watts Mysteries (3 books)
  • A Lesson in Love and Murder (Herringford and Watts Mysteries, #2)
  • The White Feather Murders (Herringford and Watts Mysteries, #3)
“For what is religion if not a great mystery? It is nothing if not a series of clues, a key to unlocking the greatest secrets of the universe. The careful detective will spend as much time pondering the spiritual mysteries as he does on whatever singular problem has crossed his path on any given day. Guide to the Criminal and Commonplace, M. C. Wheaton” 6 likes