Start by marking “Charmed and Dangerous” as Want to Read:
Charmed and Dangerous

Charmed and Dangerous

(Rag and Bone 0.5)

Magic takes many forms. From malignant hexes to love charms gone amok, you’ll find a vast array of spells and curses, creatures and conjurings in this massive collection—not to mention a steamy dose of man-on-man action. Charmed and Dangerous features all-new stories of gay paranormal romance, supernatural fiction and urban fantasy by ten top m/m paranormal authors.

Rhys Fo
Published August 25th 2015 by JCP Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Charmed and Dangerous, please sign up.
Jordan Price For authors who wanted to write in an existing storyverse, I asked them to create something that would stand well completely alone too. As you noted,…moreFor authors who wanted to write in an existing storyverse, I asked them to create something that would stand well completely alone too. As you noted, there's an Irregulars and a PsyCop story in the mix. KJ Charles' story is in her Charm of Magpies 'verse, and Josh of the Damned is also a series.

It's funny, though, because when I edited these stories, several of them felt fleshed out enough to be pieces of a larger whole and though I thought they were part of an existing series, they weren't. I was positive Astrid Amara's guys were already knocking around somewhere. And I think several authors will be exploring the new worlds they've created more. (less)

Julio Genao
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
wheee!

description

an adventurous selection of spec-fic deliciousness with what turns out to be the most diversity goodness i've gotten in one place since prosperity gave me a braingasm for having a rapscallion black MC.

as far as individual stories:

Dim Sum Asylum, Ford.

oh my word. what a dreadful choice to open with. kinetic and full of intriguing details, but in prose so painfully jarring it was like a sack of pots kicked down a flight of stairs. one star.

Swift and the Black Dog, Hale.

ah, now we're talki
Lila
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars

This anthology came to life when JCP picked up the phone and said...

description

Yup, this is how it went down in my head.

*****
You know that Forrest Gump/Marukami line where he compares life with chocolate box?
Well, I always thought same analogy fits perfectly for anthologies. Opening anthology is exactly like opening a chocolate box- you have variety of chocolate assortments stories and you like some and other not so much.

I'll start with a story that stood above the rest for me.

Ginn Hale - Swift
K.J. Charles
Jul 30, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so pleased to have a story in this anthology. Only massive self control has stopped me glomming the whole gigantic thing in a sitting. Well, no, it was deadlines and being super busy. And I may have read two of the stories anyway. Ahem. (Jordans Hawk and Price; they were both fantastic.)

My story, A Queer Trade, is set in a version of Victorian London. An apprentice magician finds his master dead, and his papers sold to a waste-man (a real Victorian street trade, these were people who bought
LenaLena
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anthology with really decent and even some really good stories. With one, big, glaring exception that made my eyes bleed...

Dim Sum Asylum – Rhys Ford 3.5 stars

An exciting romp through a San Francisco full of dragons, fae, and other supernatural beings. It could have done with a slower build, but that would have been difficult with the action as fast paced as it was. I would have welcomed a longer story here.

Swift and the Black Dog – Ginn Hale 4.5 stars

It is amazing how much story -and back stor
Emma Sea
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Swift and the Black Dog - Ginn Hale - 5 stars
Oh, thank fuck. Finally a story worth buying the anthology for. Praise be, Ginn Hale. I loved this; loved the world, loved the language SO SO MUCH, loved the characters - even the ones who died before the story started.

I'm quitting the anthology at this point. Everything else can only take me downhill after Hale's brilliance.

Dim Sum Asylum - Rhys Ford - two stars
*shrugs* meh

The Touble With Hexes - Astrid Amara - three stars -
Some of the backstory
Kaje Harper
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A collection of paranormal/fantasy short stories, by some of my favorite authors:

Rhys Ford - Dim Sum Asylum - 4*
Fun and imaginative world-building, and a main character who is both flawed and sympathetic. Detective Roku MacCormick, half-fae, half-human, had to make a difficult call when his previous partner went bad. Now he's assigned a new guy who is inexperienced, but willing to listen and learn. Their relationship builds fast, (although I have a bit of a prejudice against police partners who
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thanks so much for the gift, Helle!

This lineup is everything.
Adam
BR with Mishyjo. Because I won't let her read an anthology without me.

This anthology was a mixed bag, but still good enough for me to give it 4 stars. It's a compilation of a range of genres, including contemporary UF, sci-fi, and historical, so there's bound to be something in here for everyone.

Overall, a fun anthology.

'The Trouble With Hexes' by Astrid Amara
Date read: Oct. 10, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
(view spoiler)
Mir
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing these as I read them, which is not in the order they appear in the collection.
All in all, a pretty solid collection, I enjoyed most of them quite well.

I started with Astrid Amara because I've been wanting to try her work for years. This was really good and I hope there's more in this setting. 4 stars, even though this is one of those books where the characters' scruples make me wonder if I'm a bad person. You can't turn a hex back on the maker, even to save the victim's life? and
Lou Harper
Aug 05, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Needless to say, I’m the rookie in this line up—I mean, just look at those names. I was close to having a fangirl faint when Jordan invited me to submit a story for this anthology.

One Hex Too Many is so far my deepest foray into urban fantasy. It sprung from a tiny seed, a humorous take on the old trope of the narrator of a story looking into a mirror and describing himself. In my version he describes what he sees, but it’s not his own reflection.

When I originally jotted down the scene into my n
Ami
Took me a week to finish this anthology. It ranges from "I loved it" to "I don't bloody care" about it.

Favorite:
The Trouble With Hexes by Astrid Amara

Least Favorite
The Soldati Prince by Charlie Cochet

AVERAGE RATING: 3.15

--------------------------------------------------

Dim Sum Asylum by Rhys Ford : 2.75 stars
Started: Sept 21, 2015 --- Finished: Sept 21, 2015

It offers standard urban-fantasy actions, all right, but I never felt connected to the characters. Roku has tragic past (with him losing h
Tully Vincent
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall 4.25 stars

Dim Sum Asylum by Rhys Ford
Rich with description and detail, and since I’ve actually lived in San Francisco for a while, that was pretty cool for me. I felt a bit lost at first, like I’d been thrown into the middle of an action movie, and the overall fast pace made it hard for me to connect with the characters until closer to the end. The imagery, imagination and details are amazing and vibrant. A kick ass story that goes from zero to sixty in five seconds flat with a flaming h
Vanessa North
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have only read four of the stories in this anthology, and my rating is based upon those four.

I read Ginn Hale's Swift and the Black Dog, which was a standout for me. As far as I'm concerned, Ginn Hale can do no wrong. She's an exceptional writer with an exceptional vision for the fantasy worlds she creates.

A Queer Trade, by KJ Charles, was that gleefully gross sort of paranormal I can just eat up with a spoon. Icky, gross magic! Dead things! And of course, Esther Gold. <3 So fun.

Magically
Chris, the Dalek King
A group of us reviewers at Love Bytes kinda all wanted in on this anthology, so we split up the stories between all interested parties. While I only reviewed two stories for this collection, I will say that I enjoyed every single story and a few of them surprised me in how much I liked them. I would totally recommend you pick up this anthology.

The two stories I reviewed are below:

Nicole Kimberling – Magically Delicious (4 stars)

Kieth Curry has a not-so-glamorous job as a food inspector for NIAD
Tamara
Overall, this is one hell of an anthology. I'm really glad I've read it and I wish there were more stories.

Dim Sum Asylum by Rhys Ford - 3*
Interesting urban fantasy world, but the writing seemed a bit off, and I grew tired of the chase pretty fast.

Swift and the Black Dog by Ginn Hale - 3*

A Queer Trade by KJ Charles - 5*
Loved it! Now I can't wait to read the sequel.

Magically Delicious by Nicole Kimberling - 4*
This one was fun! Revisiting of the characters from Irregulars, but it can be r
Xing
Jul 15, 2015 marked it as put-on-hold
I see Ginn Hale, and that's all that matters for me!
Mónica BQ
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
EDIT October 31st, 2:12 am
I have now read everything. The ups in the anthology were great, the downs were awful lows.

October 30:
I have one more story to read and one I'll give a second shot at, and that might bump my rating, since I do believe the stories that I like were amazing.
Unfortunately the stories that I didn't like were so bad that this book took me ages to read because I kept putting it aside to read fan-fiction.

Dim Sum Asylum
RHYS FORD
2 stars

2 way too long action scenes comprises the e
Scarletine
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ARC supplied by author for an honest review.

Generally, I’m not drawn to anthologies, because when it comes to books, the bigger, the better! I love long, twisty, layered stories. I love finding out about characters histories and how the affect their present. And I get frustrated when a short story terminates, and I can feel it’s got the legs to keep going. And so I approached these ten tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy knowing I was going to be to be tantalized, and possibly left
Lori
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.8 average stars, rounded up to 4

Rhys Ford, Ginn Hale, KJ Charles, Nicole Kimberling, Jordan Castillo Price, Jordan L. Hawk, Charlie Cochet, Lou Harper, Andrea Speed and Astrid Amara.

Wow!! What an author line up! It reads like a who's who of MM paranormal authors. I was privileged to be able to read and review this book. Each story will have the blurb pasted below and I'll add my rating. I'll add reviews for my favourites. I have to say, this book is absolutely worth readin
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
I started out thinking I'd read all the stories in this antho, so I started at the beginning. That plan fell to pieces quickly, so I skipped to the ones I wanted to read and did so. At this point, I probably won't read the others because they either don't interest me or appear to be related to series I haven't read. I'll add a rating to each story I did read but won't rate the antho itself. Cheers.

Rhys Ford - Dim Sum Asylum: nope, didn't work for me. Scattered thoughts and actions that just didn
Bev

4 stars from me. I obviously liked some of the stories more than others, familiar authors and all that but a good anthology overall.
Kasia Bacon
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler free review by KASIA BB (ARC provided in exchange for an honest review)

For a serial long-distance reader like myself there is nothing better than a deliciously extensive novel, overflowing with convoluted plots and vigorous head hopping. On the flip side, however, I hugely enjoy a well executed short story. I am a massive fan of Guy de Maupassant, a master of the short story form. His writing is much about “compressing”; making every word crucial and engaging the reader’s imagination by
Molli B.
All done! Woohoo! At some point, I'll reorder the reviews to their order in the book. Soon. But not today.

As a whole, I enjoyed this anthology. The Astrid Amara is still my favorite. I have my fingers crossed for the day she writes more about those two guys. Jordan L. Hawk, JCP, KJ Charles, and Nicole Kimberling didn't disappoint. The Lou Harper (my first of her stories) was enjoyable; the Rhys Ford, less so. I found both the Ginn Hale and Andrea Speed disappointing, probably because I'd had hig
Ulysses Dietz
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful anthology of stories with paranormal themes embraces the finest writers in this genre and offers substantial, beautifully written tales of romance and magic.

I’m not a big anthology fan, mostly because I like long works – but these are no mere snippets. Each story is a fully developed narrative, rich with all the things we readers care about. The bonus, of course, is that they all feel connected to each other by their shared paranormal themes and characters.

Rhys Ford’s fast-paced
Elena
Rhys Ford - Dim Sum Asylum - DNF

Read a few pages, couldn’t get into it.
Rhys Ford doesn’t seem to be the author for me.

Ginn Hale – Swift and the Black Dog - 3.5 stars

The world-building was a little confusing at the beginning and it took more than a few pages for me to really sink into the story. Once that first stumbling block was dealt with, though, I really liked the magic and vaguely dystopian feeling of the world Ginn Hale created. The MC, Swift, was a really interesting character, with an
farmwifetwo
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
I've finished Rhys Ford's book and I suspect the rest will be along the same "theme". There are 2 problems with writing paranormal shorts... 1 - world building and 2 - emotion. I will comment on each story as I read them.

1. Rhys Ford - world building for a paranormal story is something that Rhys forgets rule #1 - KISS. She remembers it for her RS books but I think she has big visions in her head and a team that doesn't like to tell her it's too much, too soon. So, as usual, I ended up a combinat
Didi

An assembly of seasoned M/M paranormal authors with variety of tales; some I really enjoyed and some were… okay, I guess. As a whole, this is a pretty entertaining bundle. ;-)

Dim Sum Asylum by Rhys Ford – 2 stars
The Soldati Prince by Charlie Coc
Macky
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars overall star rating

Absolutely LOVED this anthology, they can be hit and miss but this is one of my favourites up to now. Great line up made up of some amazing authors and stories. A winner for me.
For full review on each seperate story follow Link->http://bit.ly/1JvmdKy

GRBanner
Love Bytes Reviews
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rhys Ford – Dim Sum Asylum

4.5 Heart Review by Donna

By the time I’d finished reading one chapter I’d already sent a message to a friend, telling her that although I was only just starting the first story, she totally had to buy this book. I’d also scrawled across the top of some note paper – I want a dragon.

This story throws you into the action from the moment it begins as the author skillfully builds the picture around our main character, who is barreling through the streets of Chinatown in purs
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Jordan Castillo P...: Charmed and Dangerous 10 41 Feb 25, 2017 07:06AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Charmed and Dangerous edited by Jordan Castillo Price 7 27 Oct 15, 2015 01:36PM

• Another Place in Time
  • Hell Cop
  • Irregulars
  • Devil Take Me
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Hunting Under Covers
  • The Firebird and Other Stories (Beings in Love, #5)
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price writes paranormal sci-fi thrillers colored by her time in the Midwest, from inner city Chicago, to various cities across southern Wisconsin. She’s settled in a 1910 Cape Cod near Lake Michigan with tons of character and a plethora of bizarre spiders. Any disembodied noises, she’s decided, will be blamed on the ice maker.

Jordan is best known as the author of

Rag and Bone (1 books)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
“While Keith negotiated the large, echoing room and over-sized elevator buttons, Carrot Top tagged along behind him, staring up at the ceiling and occasionally picking his nose.
“Stop that,” Keith said.
“It’s part of my character,” Carrot Top replied. “It’s what boys do.”
Keith watched Carrot Top twist his hand around to get what appeared to be a deeply satisfying dig on. Then, as if possessed by some innate reflex, he dope-slapped the leprechaun in the back of the head.Carrot Top whipped around, furious, but before he could speak, Keith said, “It’s what fathers do.”
4 likes