Start by marking “The Strawberry Girl” as Want to Read:
The Strawberry Girl

The Strawberry Girl

Summer 1893, and the Norwegian fishing village of Åsgårdstrand is preparing for the arrival of well-to-do guests and bohemian artists from the city. Local girl Johanne Lien dutifully gathers berries for tourists and poses barefoot for painters as ‘The Strawberry Girl’.

Johanne becomes a maid for the wealthy Ihlen family, whose wayward daughter Tullik recruits her as a go-be
Published April 7th 2016 by Chatto & Windus (first published April 2016)

Start your review of The Strawberry Girl
Always Pouting
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johanne used to spend her summers selling strawberries but now that she's slightly older her mother decides she needs to get a real job in addition to her strawberry selling. Through the neighbors Johanne ends up working as a maid for an admiral's family, where she meets the Tullik, a passionate and beautiful girl who is used to doing as she pleases. Tullik takes a liking to Johanne and befriends her, often getting her out of her chores so that they can go to town or the beach.

The town Johanne
Aura
Oct 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5
Didn't work for me. Cheesy and annoying.
Diana
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discarded-shelf
I read until 30% of the book before deciding it wasn't for me. The narrative is to slow and even though things happened I felt like it was always the same. So, the Strawberry Girl, known as such because she licks strawberries on the forest and on Munch's house (he who can never be mentioned) is sent by her mother (in hopes to make her less of a rascal) to work as a servant and somehow befriends one of the Almiral's daughter. All in 30% of the book. I just couldn't find my way into this book.
Tim
a sensual and evocative novel which perfectly portrays the juxtaposition of the rigid etiquette of the wealthy and the bohemian lifestyle of some of the artists of the time.
A story of passion and nature which, for me, has brought to life the work of Edvard Munch as well as adding Norway to my bucket list.

I received my copy free via Goodreads giveaways
joyce g
I liked it.. then didn't.
Laura Paraliov
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, I totally recommend it! I had such high expectations of this book and I was a bit afraid it would not live up to them, but it surpassed them instead!

It's a book about breaking social barriers and norms, about being different in a strict society and at what cost comes not to think at every step "What is the world going to think about this?!".

It's a book about madness, love and grief, and about translating feelings intro colours, into images, and preserving them that way.

A great hi
Abby Lewis
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Goodreads win.

A brilliant book, normally see a love blossoming b one of the people, this book tells from afar. Brilliant!
Mary
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow... it has been forever since I've written a book review. Partly because I don't read as much anymore and partly because I get nervous reviewing books. What if I missed something in the book? Anyway, it's supposedly good for the author. So, here I am. Also, I'm pretty sure that you have to get the book via Book Depository and so I will just say that the physical book is stunning and has end papers that match The Scream.

Summary: Similar to Loving Vincent , this book is an ode to art. The tit
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 2.5 STARS
2016; SOURCEBOOKS Landmark
(Review Not on Blog)
AKA: STRAWBERRY GIRL

I love the North American cover! I totally chose this novel based on the artwork and it looked like a historical fiction. The novel is based on the inspiration behind Edward Munch's painting, The Scream. It is a bit like Girl with a Pearl Earring which I think is better written. I thought this was an okay read. I actually enjoyed the Author's Afterwards much better.

***I received an eARC from NETGALLEY***
A.Z. Green
So this review is also long overdue. Thank you Goodreads for crashing as I was writing it. I can't believe it took me almost a year to realise I'd still not written it. Whoopsie!

This novel centres on the artist Edvard Munch and I already found that fascinating because I always found his piece The Scream intriguing and disturbing.

The Girl Between really does something magical in creating a possible story behind his paintings, including The Scream. It's wonderfully creative and I can see that the
Lucia Ghirca
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a wonderful read! I loved the fact that, every time I searched Munch's work to see if the description in the book matched a real-life painting, I was not disappointed. It makes you feel part of the story :)
Acordul Fin
Apr 10, 2019 marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
I've gone through a couple of chapters but I'll have to stop here. The writing feels insipid and there's nothing in the plot or the characters that intrigues me, not even a little bit. Very small chance I might end up enjoying it.
Bruce Hatton
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: norwegian-crime
This is a wonderfully evocative novel about a fictional affair between an admiral's daughter, Regina Ihlen and Norway's most famous painter, Edvard Munch. Narrated by Johanne Lien (herself, an aspiring painter) who is both Regina's servant and closest confidante. In many ways it is a detailed observation of the class structures and societal mores of late 19th century Norway. There are some wonderful descriptions of the coastal landscapes and dramatic changes in the weather, especially from the v ...more
Hennie
3.5 stars.

A beautiful, yet sad story about a young woman's love for a painter who cannot be tamed and his feelings bind no matter how strong they are. His art and paintings are his everything and will always be on the first place. The story is very strong, you can experience variety of emotions with the characters, from pure joy and happiness to disappointment, despair and unimaginable pain. I definitely recommend this book to all readers, because everyone will be able to find something in this
Diana
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I've seen a piece by Edvard Munch I have been impressed by the colors and by what it makes you feel. I have to say, his paintings are far from being peaceful. Somehow, each of them transmits a tormented feeling. However, there hasn't been anybody there to explain what each piece means or what the painter wanted to express. Even though the book is inspired from reality, but keeps just a few pieces from it, the whole puzzle is wonderful. I found the writing easy, but profound. The point ...more
Lolly K Dandeneau
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
see The Girl Between same novel, different title
Bookbringer
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3,75.

Wonderfully written. Intense romance. Beautiful setting. Everything I want in a summer read.
Heather
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story! I became really invested in the characters and couldnt stop reading.
Imogen
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up in Waterstones when I was just looking around and read the blurb and it sounded good then I read the extract on the back and I fell in love. I want everyone to read it because it was amazing. I decided that I had to read it because if the whole book was a good as the extract it was going to be amazing and it was. I loved how it was written and I truly fell in love with the characters and their struggles. The journeys that all the characters go on are so different yet so intertwi ...more
Janet Whitehead
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Strawberry Girl by Lisa Stromme is going to be an all time favourite forever. The story is enchanting and I was captured from the start as I immersed myself in the emotionally charged lives of Johanne, Tulik and Edvard Munch. Lisa's writing style is one of the rare styles that has me fascinated with each sentence, often in awe at its brilliance.
There are so many layers of interest tucked inside. The connection to Edvard Munch's infamous painting, The Scream, immediately creates an interest,
Andrea
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I dont normally review a book by starting at the end, but when you reach the conclusion of the story, there is a chapter which explains the basis for the book, the facts about the painter and his connections with the local people. I thought that this was really fascinating and although the book is a work of fiction it is based around some of these details. The book is mainly a love story, which is fast moving and quite enchanting, it is based in Norway and
Raluca
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sentimental drivel, laced with metaphors that are mostly lists of colors and paper-thin internal conflict of the "should I go for the boy or my budding artistic aspirations" type. The odd poignant scenes are few and far in between. The translation didn't help - although it seemed very faithful to the text; these kinds of novels always sound overly cheesy in Romanian, or at least that's how I feel. I guess it could qualify as a beach read, but you might be better off going for a swim.

[PopSugar Re
Polly Krize
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Enchanting and dazzling, this book opened up my eyes to the art of Edvard Munch, since I really had only been aware of one of his paintings before this, i.e.. The Scream. Passion and romance, both in the art and the life of this Norwegian artist come together in this well written book.
nikkia neil
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical, sensual, lush, and wild!

Everything I love in a novel! Lisa Stromme live in Norway so the descriptions of the forest and fjord where Edvard Munch paints becomes a technicolor whirlwind of delight.
Roxana
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
slightly boring. Head to head with Outlander tv series for about a week.
Caroline Åsgård
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I read an advance reader copy in norwegian. I was a little confused, since this seems to be published as both ''The Strawberry Girl'' (UK?) and ''The Girl Between'' (US?). But it all seems to be the same book.

I was definitely interested in reading this, since it's set in Åsgårdstrand, Norway (my last name is Åsgård, and I've been there a couple of times) and Edvard Munch is in it. I'm a sucker for the victorian age, so I was definitely in!

The main character is Johanne Lien, a teenage girl who ge
Lynn
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edvard Munch, a tormented Norwegian artist of the late 19th century, is brought vividly to life in this immensely readable DEBUT novel. Munch's work expresses how he feels, rather than what he sees. "Subjects in paintings grow and change, like life. They change with our moods and the time of day. Different each time we look at them". The narrator says, "Every single picture was a piece of life. The subjects were not posing, like models, and hardly seemed aware of the painter who was watching the ...more
Thebooktrail
Visit the locations in the book The Strawberry Girl

A very poetic and lyrical novel. Each chapter is titled with a colour, words from the book of colours by Johann von Goethe which Munch gives to Johanne in the novel and which casts a colouful hue over what is to follow. The story of the painting Scream is like sitting on a sunlounger, in the sunshine, eating strawberries and looking at an artist splash colours and pastel strokes on to an empty canvas. It’s very relaxing, full of unexpected tone
Natasha Thoreson
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meghan Fletcher
I really liked this book. I wish I knew at the beginning how true the story was because reading the afterward really showed me how real parts of the story and the characters where. I appreciate the authors research that went into this book and makes the book that much more intriguing to me. Overall this was a good read.
« previous 1 3 next »