Start by marking “Angel With Steel Wings (Women of Courage)” as Want to Read:
Angel With Steel Wings (Women of Courage)

Angel With Steel Wings (Women of Courage)

DESPITE THE DANGER At a time when most people in American have never flown in an airplane, spunky Mandy McCabe test-pilots repaired war planes as part of the Women Air Force Service Pilots. If the Army Air Corp shuts down the WASP program, she must return to life in her hard-scrabble home and face her past. DESPITE THE OPPOSITION Army Air Corp Major Harvey Applegate lost h ...more
Published May 15th 2015 by Elk Lake Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Angel With Steel Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel With Steel Wings

Meagan Myhren-bennett
Angel with Steel Wings
Women with Courage series
By Anne Greene

At a time where women were venturing it the realm of men, Mandy McCabe dares to enter the skies. World War II has come and Mandy answers the call of service for her country by being a test pilot of repaired planes for the WASP program.

But flying the skies is the least of Mandy's worries as she deals with opposition in her everyday life as some feel the dangers and stresses that these women face is too much to ask of them. Mandy is als
Betti
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mandy McCabe wants nothing more than to fly airplanes and eventually own half interest in Skeeter’s Flight School. Growing up in Hangman’s Hollow, Tennessee in the 1940’s did not give many options to a young lady – get married, have a bunch of kids and be stuck for the rest of your life! This was not what Mandy saw as an option for herself. Joining the WASPs (Women Air Force Service Pilot) was just the ticket to get her out of that world.
Once in this new world, she had to deal with all the prej
Victoria
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angel With Steel Wings by Anne Greene is a historical romance set in WWII. It tells some of the history of the WASP program. The book is very well written. The main character, two main and two almost main, were very well depicted and developed. The sub-characters were interesting also. She did a good job of bringing them all to life. You felt like you had, at least, actually met them if not knew them. The story line moves well and goes back and forth between the main characters. I did have troub ...more
Deana Dick
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I have read by this author and it will not be my last. The author writes a story that captures the period during WWII with accuracy. I learned many things about the war and especially about the WASPS. This group of women have courage, loyalty and love for their country. The author has given us very strong female characters and I could not put this book down.

Mandy has taken on the task of testing war planes that have been repaired. It is a dangerous job but she has co
Texas
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angel with Steel Wings - This is my first read by this author and I enjoyed the story. While I expected more about the WASPs actually flying the planes in detail, this is mainly a love story. It was interesting about the planes, just not what I expected.

The love story and the war fought in England and Germany by the male pilots were interesting and made the pages go by rather quickly with a constant moving pace. The characters ran the gamut of personalities and experiences. The emotions felt by
Michelle
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angel with Steel Wings is a historical romance novel by author Anne Greene. This novel is the first of the Women of Courage series.

In this romance novel it’s up to Mandy McCabe to date Major Harvey Applegate and pretend to like him so he will not close the WASP program on their base. The author wrote the flying and landing of the planes particularly well.

I appreciated seeing the Plan of Salvation written in this story, as well as mention of Reverend Billy Graham and his wife Ruth.

I recommend thi
Barbara
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will have you thinking these women put in their time and they were not honored then. This book describes WWII and the WASPS. This book tells you of what these brave women did to make sure the planes where safe to use again. I enjoyed reading this well written story that kept me turning pages. This is the first book by this Author that I have read.
Melissa Henderson
The story took me to a time of women flying military airplanes, danger in war, the grit and determination of WASP's and a love story for the ages. I wanted to read this book because of the time period of the story. I enjoy stories by this author. Great read.
Derinda Babcock
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ANGEL WITH STEEL WINGS is a well-written story that takes the reader into the skies of the 1940s with Mandy McCabe, a Women Air Force Service Pilot (WASP).

Mandy is tired of being treated like a child by her domineering, hillbilly father. Though he wants the best for her, she doesn't want to remain at her dad's junkyard. She doesn't want to marry early and start raising a houseful of babies as everyone expects her to do, or to continue living her stagnant life. She dreams of becoming a pilot and
Victoria
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Barrett
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angel with Steel Wings by Anne Greene
Liked the idea of the storyline and within a chapter we were looking up information about Camp Davis as we had not heard of it. Which also got us to look up the WASP, women pilot program to see what it was all about.
Mandy is stationed at Camp Davis, NC and she helps fly repair planes and other jobs. She loves being in the air and knows her machines. The women have been grounded and they gather together and Mandy is the one who might be able to change all that
Cindy
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating WWII romance with a touch of mystery

Mandy McCabe loves her job as a Women Air Force Service Pilot (WASP) testing repaired planes during WWII. Major Harvey Applegate lost his wife when the plane she was test flying crashed. Mandy and Harvey are set up on a blind date with mutual friends. Mandy’s friend wants her to date Harvey so he will use his influence with the base commander to keep the WASPs on the base. Harvey’s commanding officer wants him to try to keep Mandy out of trouble as
Jocelyn
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It seems that heroes are made of a different fabric during war time. Men are wired to step into the line of duty and die for their country. The ultimate sacrifice.

But what of the women? During the World Wars, women's roles changed significantly. The story of Mandy and Harvey trace the work women did during the second World War. "Angel with Steel Wings" brought to light what some women did to help with the war effort. These angels flew planes, as test pilots and for target training. Safe flying?
Donna McGinnis
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction and have read several books lately regarding WWII. This story is set in 1943 at Camp Davis, N.C. Well researched Anne Greene has done a fabulous job in writing this story with likable and believable characters. I have heard about the WASPS but never knew about the women pilots who served in WWII and the contribution they made in the war effort. What courageous women
The main character is Mandy a member of the Wasp team who loves to fly. Her faith is a big part of her lif
Pat
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Historical Christine Romance set during WWII. Well researched and well written. Anne Greene will keep you turning pages.

Mandy joined the WASP Program and is one of the women pilots that test fly planes that have been shot up from the war. Some look like they are put back together with chewing gum and tape. One of the planes doesn't return and the WASPs have been conducting a search. Mandy steps out of her plane is taken down by the new Major Harvey Applegate. He chews her out for being late retu
Billie Conrad
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Set in 1943 at Camp Davis, North Carolina, Anne Greene’s Angel with Steel Wings is a WWII story that needed to be told. It is about the WASPs (Women Air Force Service Pilots) who flew test runs of repaired planes and pulled targets for training of other pilots in order to free up men to go into combat. When someone says to Mandy McCabe, the main character, “You don’t get paid much, you don’t get any glory, so why risk your life?” she replies, “I fly for God, country and the thrill of it.” In add ...more
Kimberly
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Women pioneers of WW2
What a wonderful, gripping story of pioneers that paved the way for women to be successful in a man’s world. The time setting is World War 2, and the main characters are WASPS – women pilots during the war. The story grabbed me right from the start and the drama kept me reading page after page. The story is rich in historical details that made it easy to lose myself in the time period of WW2 and I felt the stress of living through it. I loved the strength of the main charact
Joan
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel of women pilots in the WW II effort. Members of the WASP group, the women flew repaired airplanes, testing their worthiness. Their dangerous work freed up male pilots for combat. But there were many who felt no woman belonged in any cockpit. I learned a great deal from this book, such as V-mail, the role women played in the war effort in England, and about the planes of the era and flying them. There is a good strong Christian witness in the book too.
I recommend this
Karen
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and had a hard time putting it down. This book takes place during World War II when the main character Mandy puts her life at risk serving as a WASP pilot. The WASP program is uncertain, so she "pretends" to fall in love with the Major Applegate to keep this program and her dream alive. Anne Greene does a great job adding facts about WASP program and takes the reader on a roller coaster of emotions.

There were many times in this story that I could picture myself right along wit
Reeds
Did you ever find yourself just liking a story even though there were some issues?
It was the Army Air Corp during WWII, not, the Army Air Force. The letters he wrote to her would have had practically every word redacted; he gave away far too much top secret information in the letters. Some parts were nicely written, but other parts were abrupt and choppy. She does also name-drops, and adds information dumps of historical info.
However, I still liked the characters, plot, location, era, and I de
Lori Weller
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angel with Steel Wings is an exciting book. It describes WWII and the WASPS. I found the whole concept and information interesting. It is a part of the war not talked about much. The characters and storyline were engaging. I found it easy to follow and the romance and handicap son added the perfect touch. I look forward to reading more from Anne Greene.
I received the book from the Book Club Network in exchange for my honest opinion.
Janice Sisemore
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Angel with steel wings

Always love a good war story. Mandy and Doreen are women pilots testing planes out during the war. They meet their husbands but Harvey and Mandy a little longer to get together. Harvey has a very sweet handicap son and Mandy just wants to be a pilot. This is the first book I have read by Anne Greene but definitely have to read more. I received a copy of this book from the book club network in exchange for a honest review.
Joan Arning
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rereads
Angel With Steel Wings introduced me to parts of World War II that I knew nothing about. These female pilots were unbelievably brave to fly planes in such bad shape! The story was very well written and I felt I learned a lot from it as well as being entertained! I recommend this book for it's historical value and romance. I look forward to reading the other books in the Women of Courage Series.

I received this e-book from www.bookfun.org in exchange for my honest opinion.
Jeanie
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed ‘Angel with Steel Wings’! There are several elements that make it interesting. It includes a bit of espionage, fighting in WWII Europe, romance, and women learning to do what they really enjoy, all during a time that changed America. Faith in the Lord is woven through the fabric of it. This the first book I have read by Anne Greene and it will not be the last.

Mandy is from the Appalachians, a large family with hillbilly ways. She wanted to pilot airplanes when most people hadn’t
Amanda
Tia Harmon
Mar 25, 2017
Jackie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angel with Steel Wings by Anne Greene is a novel in the Women of Courage Series. This is an extremely interesting World War II romance that lets the reader experience the challenges and excitement of the WASPS who supported the efforts of the fighter pilots during wartime. These brave women rose to the challenge of test-piloting repaired war planes so as to free up the men to fly combat missions.

Mandy McCabe loves to fly and lives to make her dream of logging enough flying hours and saving enou
RABT Book Tours: Angel With Steel Wings by Anne Greene 1 1 Jan 16, 2019 05:28AM