Start by marking “Wing Jones” as Want to Read:
Wing Jones

Wing Jones

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,343 Ratings  ·  391 Reviews
Jandy Nelson meets Friday Night Lights: a sweeping story about love and family from an exceptional new voice in YA. With a grandmother from China and another from Ghana, fifteen-year-old Wing Jones is often caught between worlds. But when tragedy strikes, Wing discovers a talent for running she never knew she had. Wing's speed could bring her family everything it needs. It ...more
Published January 5th 2017 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about Wing Jones, please sign up.
Angela I would add that it depends on the 12-year-old and what you're comfortable with her reading. The heroine of the story is pretty sensible, but the…moreI would add that it depends on the 12-year-old and what you're comfortable with her reading. The heroine of the story is pretty sensible, but the story contains alcohol use, some sensuality (kissing and sleeping next to each other), teen pregnancy, drug references, a gun, a few swear words, and discussion of drunk driving, depression and bullying. It's one of the most refreshing contemporary YA novels I've read in terms of showing there are consequences for taking risks, but I will probably hold off giving this one to my girls until about age 14. BUT THEN: I'd love for them to read it!(less)
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
207 books — 1,525 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renee AhdiehCaraval by Stephanie Garber
YA Novels of 2017
1,074 books — 7,273 voters

More lists with this book...

C.G. Drews
Oooh, there was a lot to like about this book. Running! Biracial protagonist! Tragic things to hurt your feels! Excellent amount of delicious food! Cute slow-burn romance! AND DID I MENTION RUNNING? BECAUSE RUNNING IS GREAT. I am a runner. Although I am a lowkey, flailing, 5am runner who probably is doing it all wrong but whatever. I really related to Wing's feeling of freedom as she ran so that was amazing.

So why isn't it rated higher? Eeep. Well I honestly thought the pacing was off. We have a
Lola
3.5 stars.

THE HEARTBEATS OF WING JONES’s diversity alone is worth praising. We do need more books with main characters who are mixed-race, like Wing Jones who is Afro-Asian. How cool is that?

Wing Jones lives in her brother’s shadow, but she doesn’t mind it. She knows Marcus is the star of the family and she’s fine with it. So when he kills two people in a car accident and ends up in a coma, she, her mother and two grandmothers are absolutely crushed.

To try to cope with the tragedy that is affec
may ❀
This book feels like one of those timeless books that can be read in any millennium and still be relevant. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

description

- Wing jones is a slow, building story of determination and sacrifice and learning from your mistakes and family and forgiveness and LOOK AT ME SAP
- Okay so let’s start with the fact that it’s taking place in like 1995 (I legit wouldn’t have known unless the book mentioned it) so it threw me off a bit bc there’s literally no telling signs as to //why// it needed to take
Warda
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
[4.5] // THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!! I had a million and one things I wanted to say about this book, but I can't remember one right now. MY FEELINGS! I loved it so much! Just the contemporary fix I needed.

Essentially it's a story about a 15 year old, biracial girl (kudos to the great diverse representation) who feels slightly overshadowed by her brother, by everyone, is a misfit, and is desperately trying to find herself and her place in the world.

I adored the main character, Wing. She's someone you a
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, friendship, running, love, consequences.

YA Shot Group Read January 2017

I saw the cover of this book revealed last year at YALC and I was like "oh, ok. It's about sport" and I didn't think much more about it. Because I am the least sporty person EVER. But then in release week it seemed like everyone I followed was reading it and loving it. And usually when there is a lot of hype around a book I'm a bit wary. But the SundayYA crowd are just the best people and I totally trust thei
Bookevin
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Full review: https://bookevin.wordpress.com/2017/0...

Initial thoughts:

Where do I begin? Oh, this book is a gem that needs to be treasured. I loved it so much.

Aside from the fact that Wing is Afro-Asian, she has a Chinese grandmother and an African grandmother. Like, dude. You should read this book JUST for the bickering between these loveable old ladies.

Wing Jones has so much heart - loved it.

Full review to come.
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya, favorites
I ABSOLUTELY loved reading this book because it felt like I was being let into someone's life, rather than just following a plot. There are the main events of the blurb that occur in the story, but a bunch of other little things that I didn't expect and really enjoyed!

Wing was such a refreshing character to read about. The number of really cool similes in this book was astounding. Normally, I don't comment on writing style, but this stood out to me as so full of voice, which I've been missing i
Lucy Powrie
Wing Jones is one of the most beautiful books I’ve read in a long time and I’d love everyone – absolutely everyone – to read it.

Set in Atlanta in the 90’s, it tells the story of fifteen year old Wing who has a grandmother from Ghana and a grandmother from China; she’s caught between two worlds, not quite fitting in like her older brother Marcus seems to do. When tragedy strikes, though, Wing takes up running and she’s not just good at it, she’s amazing. Running is a way for Wing to escape, but i
Sophie
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This was one of the 2017 debuts that I'd been interested in for ages, and when I was able to review a copy, I jumped at the chance. Wing Jones is about the main character, Wing, who has to deal with her brother being in a coma, and she does so by running. For years, she has struggled to find her identity, as her grandparents are from China and Ghana, and she's never really fit, within school. When she discov
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

This book was recommended to my by my dear GR friend Lola ! Click on her name to read her review.

The sole reason I decided to read this is because of Lola's review and the diversity. The diversity was very well done. But the rest of the book did not work for me. I found this book to portray the negative aspects of high school which never works for me. Considering the topic I understand why it was done.

But there were times when I felt that it was over done. It felt that in every
Lauren James
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
This isn't out for so long that I'm not going to do a proper review yet, but I will say that this book is perfect and lovely and satisfying and beautiful. It also contains the most slow burning endless agony of waiting for a first kiss I've EVER READ and it was PERFECTION.

Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya
Really beautiful story! I was surprised how long it sustained itself in the middle since it seemed to lack tension, but I really loved the beginning. So emotional, and the writing was gorgeous and easily readable. My only critique was that the ending came about very quickly, which I wasn't prepared for and things seemed to wrap up a bit too neatly (apart from the old man at the hospital that ball was dropped!)
Catherine Doyle
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I completely devoured this. It's the perfect blend of humour and heart, love and family, with amazing characters (Granny Dee and LaoLao have my everlasting admiration). Put this one top of your TBR pile. It is incredible.
Joséphine (Word Revel)
March 1, 2017

Full book review is up on Word Revel.

____________

February 12, 2017

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Initial thoughts: As a biracial person myself, I think Katherine Webber aptly captured what it means to live with multiple racial identies on a day-to-day basis. I loved how she noted the little things like double-takes from strangers when it dawns on them who the grand- and/or parent(s) are and that they're related to children who might not even look like them. Then there's the fusion of food
Whispering Stories
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen years old, Wing Jones has never really felt comfortable in herself. Half-Chinese, half-Ghanaian, and living in Atlanta, USA has it’s challenges. Never more so than at school and having to deal with the school bully, Heather, who finds Wing an easy target.

Wing is very family-orientated, especially after the death of her father. Since that day, her brother Marcus has been there for her, and keeps her under his protective wing.

Her life suddenly gets turned upside down when her brother is in
Kelly
Wherein the stupid, reckless decision of an older brother allows a half-black, half-Chinese girl in Atlanta in 1995 to come into her own. This is a wonderfully written story about running, about finding a way to work through grief, and about owning yourself as you are, no matter how other people look at you (deserved or not). The 1995 setting is usually something that bothers me, but it makes sense here, given that the story's setting is in the city where the Olympics would be in the following y ...more
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
*3.5/5 stars*

“My steps are in time with Marcus's heartbeat, and even though I can't stand to be close to him at the hospital, what I'm doing is helping him.”

Wing Jones has one of the most amazing, realistic and heartfelt family dynamics I've ever read about. It has a little bit of romance here and there, and some growing friendships, but the family plays the most important role in this book, and I loved that!

“I run down the hall and out of the building and I keep going until I’m at my front
K.
Trigger warnings: racism, family member in a car accident, family member in a coma, graphic discussion of an accidental knife injury.

I bought this book moooooooooonths ago and for some reason, I've only just gotten around to reading it. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a compelling story about a teenage girl dealing with the aftermath of her brother's car accident. It's a coming of age novel in which she discovers her talent for running and starts to make friends.

I must admit, I'm a little iff
Sara
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of THE HEARTBEATS OF WING JONES.

Oh, wow. This book is so beautifully written - I mean, GORGEOUS writing. Wing's story, her family, her love for them, her love for Aaron, Wing herself... when I wasn't reading this book, I was thinking about it. I'm so impressed with how Katherine Webber was able to convey such depth of emotion, the sense of loss Wing feels, the sadness, the anger, the grief- and the pure joy she finds when she finds her wings.

Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Wing Jones was easily my most anticipated YA debut of 2017 so my expectations for this book were already sky high to begin with and yet I was still taken aback by how much I loved this book – it’s seriously that good.

The story follows Wing Jones, a biracial teenage girl with a huge heart and a loveable family. With a grandmother from China and another from Ghana, Wing doesn’t feel like she fits in anywhere and is content to stand in her big brother Marcus’s shadow cheering him on from the sideli
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did. I was completely entranced by this book. The characters, the plot, the romance, and the writing kept me glued to the pages. There were times where I was on the verge of sobbing, and then there were parts where I was laughing out loud. This book had the perfect amount of heartbreak, humor, family bonds, real-life battles, triumph, and romance. I loved everything about this book!

The main character, Wing, felt so realistic. I really connected
Stacee
2.5 stars?

I will admit to requesting this strictly off of the comparison to Jandy Nelson. I've never seen FNL, but I'm all for sports and football and Jandy Nelson is an auto-buy. Needless to say, my expectations were quite high...and I think that was my downfall.

I liked Wing well enough. Her voice starts out really young and I did struggle with her inner monologue. However, as the book progresses, she grows and learns more about herself and the tone changed. I loved her grandmothers the most.
Amanda
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Heartbeats of Wing Jones values so many different aspects it's hard to keep track of them all. Grief, anger, passion, happiness, love, strength, determination, motivation, and more. We have our main character Wing Jones who always hides in the shadows of her all star brother, Marcus, but when tragedy strikes her family it's up to Wing to step up and shine. It was a truly beautiful story that kept me glued to the pages. My only issue is the ending felt rushed. We have great character and stor ...more
Maggie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
"Jandy Nelson meets Friday Night Lights" my ass. If this book was FNL, it would be JD McCoy's dad.
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I have been in a terrible reading slump for about 4 months now, where even books I have been dying to read, and am thoroughly enjoying, take me about 2-4 weeks to finish. This is from someone who usually reads a book in 2-3 days. I devoured Wing Jones in 2 days. It grabbed a hold of me and dragged me from my reading slump. I couldn't put it down. It is a beautiful and emotional contemporary, set in the South during the 1990's.

There is DIVERSITY to the fullest in this book! I loved the book and I
Lucy (TheBookBelle)
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 star perfection. WING JONES is one of those rare books that you want to rush through but savour all at once.
Kelly
Not only is this the most beautiful book I’ve ever held in my hands (those sprayed edges are GLORIOUS) but this is probably the most I have ever willed and cheered on a fictional character. I absolutely fell in love with Wing Jones.

Wing Jones is a half Ghanaian and half Chinese fifteen year old girl who lives in the shadow of her older brother Marcus. Wing finds herself at the receiving end of spiteful comments in school due to her appearance but finds comfort in the happy times she shares with
Marguerite (Lady RH) ❀
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was chosen for #OwBookClub's february theme "badass female".

Rating : 3.5 stars

Wing's big brother was the golden boy of the Jones' family. Rising star of the football team, stunning looks, popular, with a perfect girlfriend and an even more perfect best friend. She has watched her brother, loved him, supported him but never stepped of the shadows. It didn't matter, her life was nice the way it was.
But everything changed one night, when Marcus took the wheel drunk and had an accident. Tw
Carlie Sorosiak
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have so many feelings about Wing Jones. SO. MANY.

photo giphy 39_zpspd2spwum.gif

It’s difficult to distill into words how much I love and appreciate this book. I just want the whole word to read it, because of the:

Writing style: Think Jandy Nelson. This prose is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! It’s the kind of novel that makes you break out a notebook and pin quotes on your bedroom wall. It’s the kind of novel that makes you want to be a better writer, a keener reader, a more observant person.

Emotional impact: I’m not a crie
Serendipity Reviews
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite reads this year.
YA Shot 2016: "Wing Jones" by Katherine Webber JANUARY 2 11 Jan 11, 2017 04:51AM
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • My So-Called Bollywood Life
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Seven Days of You
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Gray Wolf Island
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • The Gallery of Unfinished Girls
  • Cold Summer
  • Dare Mighty Things
  • League of American Traitors
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
Katherine Webber was born in Southern California in 1987. She has lived in Hong Kong, Hawaii, and Atlanta. She currently lives in London with her husband, Kevin.

She loves an adventure, whether it is found in a book or in real life. She has travelled to over 45 countries. Travel, books, and eating out are her favourite indulgences.

Katherine studied Comparative Literature at the University of Cali
More about Katherine Webber

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“She’s got a laugh you wish you could bottle up and wear like perfume whenever you’re feeling sad because it would always cheer you up.” 7 likes
“But my happiness is a squishy kind of happiness, squeezing itself in where it can fit, pushing around all the sadness and the stress and the pressure, finding any empty spot, any crevice, and filling it. Don’t mind me, it says. I won’t bother anyone. I know this is a room for sadness, but I just need a little corner. I try to kick it out, because it isn’t welcome here, it didn’t even come wearing black, but it won’t go. It’s a stubborn guest. One that I secretly want to stay.” 5 likes