Start by marking “Teologia de La Liberacion” as Want to Read:
Teologia de La Liberacion

Teologia de La Liberacion

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,540 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
This is the credo and seminal text of the movement which was later characterized as liberation theology. The book burst upon the scene in the early seventies, and was swiftly acknowledged as a pioneering and prophetic approach to theology which famously made an option for the poor, placing the exploited, the alienated, and the economically wretched at the centre of a progr ...more
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1972 by Ediciones Sigueme (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Teologia de La Liberacion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teologia de La Liberacion

Crab
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredibly scholarly but also radical kick up the backside for Christian ministry and the Church. It was written in the 70s and embedded in latin american politics and religion, but has huge relevance today with the increasing poverty of the poorest in the world, the complete dominance of capitalism, and the necessary Christian response to such oppression and political injustice. It is the church how I wish it to be. It champions the struggles of the oppressed, and urges utmost solida ...more
Natalie
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only 5 stars? 6 stars! 10 stars!

Finally, FINALLY, a worldview that matches my own. It was indescribably sweet to read a book that blends my views on faith and on society so wonderfully. It took me some time to read this one. I paused frequently just to think and reflect on what the author was saying. I felt like I was savoring the powerful statements sprinkling every page, rolling them around in my mind like some delectable treat. I can't even imagine how amazing it would be to see this book fro
l.
I started reading this with basically no knowledge of catholic theology and emerged with a glimmer of understanding and respect for Gutierrez' arguments so I'll count reading this book as time well spent despite the fact that I just could not follow some of Gutierrez' lines of thought. (His lack of clarity? My unfamiliarity? Probably both)
Jane Van Hof
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to pair his thought with Freire's theories of liberation for education.
Luke Hillier
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading theologians associated with liberation theology for the past six years, and it wasn't until this point that I began to engage with one of the forefathers of it all. Early on, it was striking to me how distinctive Latin American liberation theology was from the predominantly African American strand I've grown much more familiar with. Within Gutiérrez's context, race is almost never mentioned and class is at the core of each argument and point. This obviously makes perfect sense ...more
Jabbott
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe that "A Theology of Liberation" by Gustavo Gutierrez is a prophetic call to change for Christians in the 21st century. The systems of injustice and oppression which are sustained by those in industrialized countries is a deeply embedded sin. Gutierrez writes that the love of God can liberate the world from those systems so that a "qualitatively different" society can be constructed based not on the importance of the privileged, but on the precepts of the Kingdom of God.

Many will say t
Ryan
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Por fin he leído este libro y como me he encantado! Hace tiempo que mis ideas estaban yendo en la dirección de la teología de la liberación sin saberlo. Ahora que he cumplido el libro la primera vez tengo tanta gratitud por el trabajo y desempeño de Gustavo Gutierrez y todas las personas que han contribuido a la creación de la teología de la liberación, que es una gran bendición para la Iglesia y el mundo.
Markie
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic!!! I agree with it and I think our new Pope is also a proponent of this Theology!!! If he would just open up the discussion of Women's Ordination!!! I am hopeful that women deacons may be in our near future!!!
pplofgod
I really enjoyed this. The prose becomes a bit... 1960s-ish throughout the book. But altogether it provides a well thought out argument for a revolutionary and militant Catholic theology.
Andrew
A useful primer on Liberation theology, the material is dense, and can be overly repetitive at some points, but the primary tenets of Liberation Theology are explained as well as some of their basic hermeneutical presuppositions. Liberation theology is eclectic taking some elements of Marxism and Catholicism that influence their interpretation of scripture, and it can be difficult to define their beliefs since Gustavo isn't very consistent throughout the book, often contradicting his earlier sta ...more
ben adam
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-logy
This book was excellent. I attempted to read it 2 times before finishing it on my third try. It is dense. It is difficult. It is beautiful and grand. I had two major critiques of it. For being about the people who need liberation, it is extremely inaccessible. I have a degree in Christian The*logy and found it difficult to follow. People who are poor and do not have a lot of time to read in general will struggle immensely with this book. That is too bad, and I wish he had made it more accessible ...more
Glesnertod
A very difficult read. Long winded at a almost every point. As well, I needed a lot more context for what he was talking about. I needed more stories and concrete examples. I found it very difficult to enjoy. I thought, interestingly, that he was at his best when he was applying liberation theology to individuals living out their faith. The section on God as Creator-Redeemer was excellent. It should have begun where it ended, in providing a framework for poverty. I needed his overall line of thi ...more
Kevin Fitzsimmons
This is an incredible book and, in my opinion, is a necessary book. I think that Liberation Theology is the ultimate expression of where the church needs to go. It seems that with the current pope that Liberation Theology is being placed in a better light than it has been in the past twenty years.

It is impossible to sit at a computer and write a few sentences summing this book up. This is a book that demands to be read with a group, whether that be in a classroom or with folks who are willing t
Loyd Harp
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, although magnificent, is hard work to read for a Protestant/Pentecostal man from the 1st world. His context is so different from anything I am used to, even as a sympathizer with liberation theology. In some ways, A Theology of Liberation is the theological equivalent to the historical fiction of War and Peace--not in length, but in scope. Both take long periods of concentration and focus to work one's way through, but there are nuggets every so often that make the whole book worth it ...more
Mark Franklin
This is the handbook of liberation theology, containing the early history of the movement and the clearest statement of what it really is from the beginning. I first read the book in a political science class examining Gutierrez as a political revolutionary, and recently read it as a work of revolutionary theology. After the second reading, I wonder if Gutierrez would recognize the movement he helped give birth to.
Kate
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Marx called religion the opiate of the people, the opposite can also be said--it can be the benzedrine of the people. This decidedly leftist take on Christianity shows how faith and activism can take hold of marginalized people and help them find their voice. It is historically important work for anyone interested in the effects of Vatican II, Central America or Christian Movements of the 20th Century.
Gretchen
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants a scholarly intro to lib theo and is willing to put in some work
After reading both Boff and Boff Introducing Liberation Theology and this book I am still confused about what exactly a "preferential option for the poor" is. Does it just mean that given the choice between helping rich people and helping poor people you choose poor people? I am also confused about what we in the first world can do to further the goal of liberation. Maybe I needed this to be a "mediated read".
Dwight Davis
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant treatment and an attempt at reorienting theology to be a discipline that speaks and acts with the oppressed in history for the sake of liberation. God is fundamentally for the oppressed and will liberate history through the oppressed. This reading flips on its head classic Western conceptions of power and authority in a helpful and challenging way.
Harrison
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, favorites
What is the role of Christianity in the world?

Behind this seemingly simple question is a rich topic of prayerful inquiry that Gustavo Gutierrez explores fastiduously. Although overly academic at times, many passages of this book are richly challenging to people of faith. A must-read for anyone trying to understand Christianity's role in social justice.
Timothy McCluskey
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I read this book for the first time while working on the Altiplano in Bolivia. Gutierrez is in the tradition of James Cone, among others. A hard lesson for americans is that Pastor Wright is in the same tradition - one of the few religious leaders in the states that is truely grounded in the biblical traditon.
Melanie Stand
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is hard-going but worth sticking with. Gutierrez makes his case for a focus of theology on the poor. Those that think Gutierrez misguided in this need to read the OT and NT; for both are littered with examples of Gods passion and concern for the poor and oppressed and our response to that. This will be challenging but ultimately worthy of our attention.
Hank
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a non-catholic, I couldn't enjoy this book as much as a Catholic who is familiar with the edicts of the Church. The general message of Liberation theology is there, but I personally think James Cone presents it in a clearer manner. Otherwise, I definitely think this is worth reading for someone who doesn't know of or doesn't understand Liberation theology.
Ryan
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinarily important for those who wish to be Christians or social activists. Gutierrez has read the books and has also walked the walk. A truly amazing man of God with a perspective on scripture that is vital to discipleship in this age.
David Holtkamp
I guess I should have paid better attention while reading this book. I got the gist of it, but a lot of it went over my head because my mind tended to wander because I'm not a theologist. But good insights nonetheless.
Brent Fernandez
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok, i should give this 5 stars, i know. but i feel as if i give way too many. yes, this is THE lib theo book, and without it, who knows what theology wouldn't have happened, but i enjoy others more.
Tom Webb
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The father of liberation theology who despite the controversies promoted by conservative interests in the church today remains a leading and respected theologian for his defense of the poor against the on-slaught of corporate and nationalistic interests round the world.
Michael Heredia
This book has change my Christian perspective! It has rocked my world. It has made a mess of my faith, but what a beautiful mess it is! I'm looking forward to diving more into the world of Liberation Theology.
Terri
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
Finally finished! This book is excellent, though very slow going for me. I am sure that I missed more than I got form this book. But I at least have some understanding what Liberation Theology is. I feel challenged but what I read and learned.
Maria
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This is a challenging and difficult book. For those seeking to understand the basis of liberation theology, this is must-reading. It is not "wordy," it is dense--in the fullest, deepest sense of the word. Very much worth the effort.
Paul Deane
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too specialized for me. With help from theologian friend Donna Teachau I have beginners understanding of the book. The concept is important. I would love to see this idea explored in a book for the general public.
  • A Black Theology of Liberation
  • Introducing Liberation Theology
  • The Crucified God: The Cross of Christ as the Foundation and Criticism of Christian Theology
  • She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse
  • Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • The Powers That Be: Theology for a New Millennium
  • The Politics of Jesus
  • Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony
  • In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins
  • The Prophetic Imagination
  • The Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New CreationA Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethic
  • Dogmatics in Outline
  • Christ and Culture
  • Dynamics of Faith
  • Binding the Strong Man: A Political Reading of Mark's Story of Jesus
  • Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women's Liberation
  • The Violence of Love
Gustavo Gutiérrez Merino, O.P. is a Peruvian theologian and Dominican priest regarded as the founder of Liberation Theology. He holds the John Cardinal O'Hara Professorship of Theology at the University of Notre Dame. He has been professor at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru and a visiting professor at many major universities in North America and Europe. He is a member of the Peruvian Ac ...more
More about Gustavo Gutiérrez...

“If there is no friendship with them [the poor] and no sharing of the life of the poor, then there is no authentic commitment to liberation, because love exists only among equals.” 26 likes
“[Neighbor is] not he whom I find in my path, but rather he in whose path I place myself, he whom I approach and actively seek.” 24 likes