Start by marking “Off Leash (Freelance Familiars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Off Leash (Freelance Familiars, #1)

Off Leash

(Freelance Familiars #1)

When Thomas Khatt awakens to the magical world following the sudden, violent death of his elderly Archmagus neighbor, he doesn’t get the standard package of awesome power combined with a hero destiny. Nope, he trades his thumbs in for a tail, tawny fur and four feet with a very low co-efficient of friction on linoleum. His destiny as one of three talking mountain lions in ...more
Published July 12th 2015 by Fallen Kitten Productions

To ask other readers questions about Off Leash, please sign up.
Daniel Potter Actually yes! I'm looking at finding a narrator at this moment. Any suggestions? Who does Thomas sound like in your head?

Dyrk Ashton
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great wacky fun. A fresh twist on urban fantasy, fast-paced and funny as hell. I have to mention Potter's terrific ability to write what I can only describe as incredibly trippy sequences of magical immersion into other dimensions / minds of monsters. That might not make much sense, you'll just have to read it to see what I mean. Magic, a magicians guild, people getting turned into animals against their will, a squirrel buddy character, and a dragon. Nuff said!
Laura Hughes
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Off Leash was a semi-finalist in the 2nd annual Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off. Full review on Fantasy-Faction.
G.R. Matthews
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The SPFBO review will appear on Fantasy-Faction.
Joan
This started off brilliantly - clever writing, a great protagonist, some wonderful use of humour -- and I was thoroughly enjoying it for the first third.
Then it became a little too 'wordy' for me - long, complicated accounts of how magic worked etc ( I ended up skimming those parts) and at one stage I nearly abandoned it. but the humour was still there and I carried on reading/skimming.

Its a difficult book to rate. The first few chapters are s definite 5 star, some of the middle bits are 1 star
Sadie Forsythe
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5
I was charmed by Off Leash. I enjoyed Thomas' refusal to accept his given situation and insistence on doing the right thing. The magic was surprisingly well developed and there was an interesting and amusing set of characters that were largely more than shadows on the page.

However, I thought that as hard as Thomas tried to get his human self back, we never fully came to grips with him. I never missed him as anything other than an idea.

Further, I thought the plot took so long to become apparen
Lanko
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, rc2017n-e
This book has a fantastic start. Thomas Khatt (did you cat that?) wakes one day and has turned into a cougar. He can't speak or shapeshift back. He's now a feline for the rest of his life.

Just great. I lose my voice but I get to keep my spare tire? Further proof that the universe itself is a sadistic bastard.

He tries to use a computer, wash and plenty of other things. It was pretty hilarious and curious his situation that you can't help but keep reading.

One or two more days and I'd be sticking m
Altivo Overo
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: furry fans, fantasy readers
Absolutely fun read. I was reminded of Barking in the amount of humorous references and clever twists on common folk wisdom. Currently a bargain price, too.

Thomas Khatt has a disturbing experience when he witnesses the death by hit and run of his elderly neighbor. The next morning he wakes up in a new body, having been somehow transformed into a cougar. As you can imagine, this takes some "getting used to." Before very long, though, he is introduced to a mostly hidden world of wizards and mages,
Kristen
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Full review is here, on my blog!~

This was a fun book, with a very interesting premise.

Thomas Khatt is a regular guy in a regular town when suddenly his secretly-magical neighbor dies, and he wakes up the next day as a cougar. He’s in a magical world and is a familiar, an animal companion to a magus. Usually they are auctioned off and bonded to some apprentice or other, but Thomas has other ideas, because eff all that noise. He’s not bonding to anyone forever, but to stay freelance, he’ll have to
Toni Gomes
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Different

Fun and LOTS of action, unusual point of view. Not a exactly a cliffhanger but enough unresolved arcs to support a series.
Joel Minty
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
With a sizable amount of highly-toted fantasy novels on my to be read list, I have no idea why I decided to try Daniel Potter's Off Leash. I heard about it through Fantasy Faction's review during the Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off 2 and it did not sound like my sort of thing. I think part of it was that I was reading Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana at the time and wanted something a little lighter, softer and sillier.

Off Leash was lots of fun. I felt Potter had lots of carefully-considered prose at hi
Kevin
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It had shifters, intelligent talking animals, mages, and sly humor. (The toaster threatened to sing, but I gave it a stern look.) Someone wakes up one morning to discover himself in a complex magical world, and there's no going back to his old life.
I could have done with less description, which I often skimmed.
A second reading (in preparation for the sequels) was just as enjoyable. Several typos, including lightening for lightning and break for brake.
Elise Edmonds
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I thought this was a fun, fresh urban fantasy read. The concept of the main character being a familiar up for hire is great. The magic system was unique if somewhat complicated.
Phil Geusz
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most enjoyable books I've read in ages. Superb characterization, a complex twist-filled plot, a unique setting, and lots and lots of action. What's not to like?
Mary Lowd
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an extremely fun book. I plan to read the next one soon.
Margaret Fisk
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

I met Daniel Potter at BayCon 2018 and based on his pitch, gave Off Leash a try. The book took a bit to reach the top of my pile, but when I started reading, I expected to be entertained and wasn’t disappointed. This novel introduces a world in which magic and mundane exist on top of each other, the magic concealed with a veil created in early history by the Fey. The veil has the interesting property of extrapolating a mundane answer to display to those
Aelvana
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thomas Khatt is unemployed and growing more desperate for a job when the unthinkable happens. His elderly neighbor is murdered, he's somehow been turned into a cougar, and now he's expected to enter the magical society that's always existed in his town on the other side of the Veil. But Thomas rebels against being auctioned off to become someone's familiar, and he's determined to take charge of his own life one way or another . . .

This book managed to tie in a number of my favorite subjects: sha
Debra
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I rarely read fantasies that have humans morphing into animals, but this one sounded interesting so I thought I’d give it a try. Author Daniel Potter has wisely taken a light, humorous approach to his plot, and especially the protagonist Thomas, which works well.

The story is imaginative and filled with interesting rules and events on the other side of a veil that separates the fantastical from the mundane. It’s interesting that not all questions are answered about how this world came to be, but
Lori S.
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Thomas's life, not the greatest, but his, is turned upside down when he wakes up one day and discovers himself metamorphed into a cougar and that he can see magic. What's worse, he finds his life is no longer his own as strangers try to take over his life, tell him he's a familiar to be exploited (at least that's the way he sees it, others do not), and his old life no longer matters. Thomas, however, is stubborn and not willing to put up with anyone telling him what to do - within reas ...more
Mia
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a really great narration. Really brought the characters and the story to life. More importantly, it emphasized the humor which is probably the biggest selling point of this book.

This book has a great hook, an interesting foundation. Strong start--humorous and clever from the get-go. Then the tedium and inconsistencies settle in. At a certain point, the holes increasingly become difficult to ignore. There are histories left unexplained, often not even hinted upon. Characters pop in and out
Susan Otto
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unusual and unique story about a familiar.

A human helps this old man that is dying and then ends up being a cougar by way of magic. He is told that he is a familiar and he's to be trained as a familiar to warlock or witches. He doesn't want to be a familiar and tries to find a way out of it. That's begins his adventure in the World of magic.

The characters are interesting and the plot is fascinating. Highly recommended. I know I am going to continue reading the series.

bookwormsuzy
Charles Daniel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anthropomorphic Animal Fiction on par with _Watership Down_ and Brian Jaques "Redwall" series.

Though given that the primary character of the novel starts as a human being, it stretches the definition of "Anthropomorphic Animal" a bit. The point is that if you like animal protagonists, you will probably like this story.
Lorie Bilodeau
I really liked it ,kind of slow starting into the story,could have had more ending ...but a good rainy day read
B.E.
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Different. Strange. Fun. And totally awesome. I really enjoyed reading this story. Full of twists and snark and humor, but not total fluff. I picked this up as a free deal the other day, but I'm buying the next one. I'm hooked.
Derith Rolfe
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good fun

If I were to select a genre i think I i would have to create a New one. Plenty of fantasy lots of mAgic , but it a new approach.. Easy and lighthearted fun.
Sarah Whitney
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, humorous read. I was charmed by Thomas and his squirrel sidekick and entertained by the action. I took off one star because the transitions in some spots could have been smoother but overall, fantastic urban fantasy. I'll be reading this entire series.
Jane Ashford
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun story.
Natty
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the humor and writing style. It was a fun read and made me laugh out loud at times.
Penny Coleman
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Fun,entertaining

Sets off a fabulous imaginative fantasy of new friends and daring adventures. Thank you for sharing your wonderful creative gifts.
John Reimers
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What fun!

Pure imagination and good humor, lots of smart s and action - I love it! Gonna buy the rest of the series
Dionne
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story!

I loved this book. Thomas was a wonderful character and I'm looking forward to reading more of his story. The setting was great and everything. I'm going to buy the next book some time later. Again, great book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kindle Unlimited ...: Off Leash by Daniel Potter 1 6 Aug 02, 2015 07:43AM

• After Image (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #7)
  • His Forgotten Forever (Bewitch the Dark #3)
  • Bad Bargain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #5)
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • Cast in Angelfire (Mage Craft, #1)
  • Mer-Charmer (World of Aluvia, #2)
  • Shattered Girls (Broken Dolls, #2)
  • Ari (To Each His Ghost, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 9, Volume 2
  • One Thing or Your Mother (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #10)
  • Monstress #4
  • Oracle of Philadelphia (Earthbound Angels, #1)
  • Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1)
  • The Speaker for the Trees
  • The Blue
  • Blue Moon Rising (The Patroness, #1)
  • The Marquise and Her Cat: A Puss in Boots Retelling (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Accidental Bachelor
There is more than one author with this name

Daniel Potter has always been inspired by the mysteries of the world. His early interest lead him to become avid researcher as well as gamer and writer. After obtaining his PhD in vascular biology, he began exploring fictional magic and spiritualism using his own particular scientific lense. Daniel published the webcomic Walking the Lethe from 2010-2012

Freelance Familiars (2 books)
  • Marking Territory (Freelance Familiars Book 2)
“Magic appeared to be as complex as electronics paired with interdimensional physics.” 1 likes
“I didn't know the history of this world or how it interacted with the history of mine. Oric, Sabrina, all of them had tried to tell me that my rules didn't apply here, that my laws of decency meant nothing. The culture was medieval or perhaps an “enlightened” plutocracy. The wars of Napoleon could be a living memory for their elders. Their social system could be traced back to Genghis Khan for all I knew. It” 0 likes