Start by marking “M is for Autism” as Want to Read:
M is for Autism

M is for Autism

M. That's what I'd like you to call me please. I'll tell you why later.

Welcome to M's world. It's tipsy-turvy, sweet and sour, and the beast of anxiety lurks outside classrooms ready to pounce. M just wants to be like other teenagers her age who always know what to say and what to do. So why does it feel like she lives on a different plane of existence to everyone else?

Wri

Published July 1st 2015 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers

To ask other readers questions about M is for Autism, please sign up.

Start your review of M is for Autism
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Thank God awareness of Autism and Aspergers Syndrome in girls and women is spreading. For years it was believed that only makes were able to be on the Autism Spectrum, this has led to a tidal wave of diagnosis in females as it's recognised that traits can be very different between the two.

I am a woman, a wife, a mother, a friend, a Top Ranked Book Reviewer and have my own Book Publicity business...

I also proudly have Asperger's Syndrome.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 41. The main voice in th
Lily
Historically, autistic girls and woman have been a misunderstood and rarely explored minority. Fortunately, recent years have seen increasing acknowledgement that there are many autistic girls and women (often underdiagnosed and unrecognised) and that autistic traits in these individuals often vary quite dramatically when compared to their male counterparts. 'M is for Autism' provides a much needed and important glimpse into what it means to be part of this underrepresented group.

This book was w
Lindsay Williams (Bibbidi Bobbidi Bookworm)
I have definitely been on a middle grades fiction kick lately, and more importantly, I have been on a books about autism kick. When I did a quick search for middle grades fiction about autism one day, most of the books listed were books I had already heard about, but there was one book that grabbed my attention that I had never seen on any other similar lists--M is for Autism. The description of the book said that it was written by a group of students at a school for girls with autism, and I fou ...more
Leanne
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Gives insight on how someone with Autism sees the world, and what they need and don't need from other people.
D.J.
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My 12 year old's review:
I liked this book because the character and what happens to her describes me a lot - for example having her own little world to escape to when things get too much, and her anxiety about things which I struggle with a lot too but I am also autistic.

My review:
I liked the way this book was written from both M's view point and that of her mother's. As a person with autism who is also a mother of someone with autism I found this book describes what I go through fairly accurat
Janneke
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autism
"I am autistic. What the hell does that mean?"

This is a quote from the book and is also why I'm reading books about autism. I'm reading books about autism to figure out what the hell it means to have autism and to be able to identify myself with characters. I, personally, couldn't identify myself with M. The book didn't help me with giving my autism a place as much as I had hoped. These are the main reasons why I'm only giving it 2 stars. There is however one quote that does comfort me:

"You have
Sara
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has so much going for it:

-the character with autism is FEMALE (why is this so rare in lit.?)
-it is based on the real experiences of young women who have autism
-the art and text is eye-catching
-the story is great

I think that sums it up. This is a must have for a high school library, especially if paired with complementary nonfiction about autism.
Jenny
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Love it !
B Madison
This is a diverse literature book. M is for Autism provides a focused lens into the world of M, the main character, who is autistic. She dreams that she could be able to act like her other peers, but inside she feels like she lives in an entirely different "world". I chose this book because it provides very informational insight (being written by the Limpsfield Grange School, a school specifically for girls who have autism) about the mannerisms and thought processes that are common with autism.

T
Jane
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found out about this book via a newspaper article and thought it was interesting because of it being a collaborative effort by schoolchildren.

It was easy to read (I know, I'm not the target audience) and M is well described. As are the counsellor, the mother, and the other incidental characters.

My hope is that it describes the kind of feelings that people with autism have. I don't have autism. I don't have a child with autism. I do have a friend whose child has autism. So I have an interest
Lesley
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A teen with autism, Beth noted that there were no books to help teenage girls like herself, and so the students of Limpsfield Grange, a school for girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder, in collaboration with writer Vicky Martin who lead creative writing and drama workshops, wrote and illustrated M is for Autism. This book, the fictional story of M, provides a mirror so that these girls can understand themselves, but also a window so that others can understand them and how they perceive the world. ...more
Evalangui
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit short but the authors are kids so obviously still pretty cool accomplishment. I loved the bits o recognised (why would anyone ruin a song by remixing it? :s I had a friend who sang a song for me for the first time. I absolutely loved it... as long as she sang it, I couldn't stand the original or any other versions. Even slower/faster versions by the same artist grate) and the criticism at medical and school professionals. Yeah, I bet even a kid can tell they are useless! Anyway, will check ...more
Corinna
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is an easy read that gives you some perspective into what it's like to be a teenage girl with autism - both before and after an official diagnosis. This is a great starting point or guide for those who know girls on the autism spectrum, who can then look into further research with some level of empathy behind them.
Gretel
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, accessible read, albeit with a garish colour scheme and an abrupt ending. A realistic portrayal of female autism, but some further proofreading could have been beneficial, as breath is written instead of breathe on more than one occasion. The parts written from the perspective of M's mother were particularly compelling, even more impressive when you remember this was written by teens.
Myleah
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must Read! I am a middle school teacher who often works with autistic students. This book gives insight to the beautiful mind of autism. I loved that the book also shared family insights. I think this book would be entertaining and enlightening to anyone that loves teenagers whether they are autistic or not.
Stephanie
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intensely compelling and compassionate #ownvoices book about an autistic teenage girl (and her mum) going through the diagnosis process, written and illustrated by autistic teenage girls (with the help of their creative writing tutor).
Colleen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and moving. From the foreword: a book "written and illustrated by teenage girls with autism for teenage girls with autism."
Can't wait to share with my students.
Kat Pennylegion
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written by a teenage girl with autism, about having autism as a teenage girl. Very insightful. I gave it to my 11 year old daughter with autism to read.
Stevie Thomas
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly easy to relate to.
Jess
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who works with people with autism. I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick, easy read. I connected to it strongly.
Nudge
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book, could be better, but for two students.
Jenni McReddie
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great to see the process of being diagnosed with autism from the girls point of view, and how the teachers could have dealt better in helping M rather than dismissing her symptoms.
Stephanie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quick read- great peek into what it may be like for a young girl to experience and find out she is on the Autism Spectrum.
Bec
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a parent of a girl with autism I found this really enlightening. Well worth the quick read.
Mathilda
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book it completely describes our world soooooo accurately! I can relate so much I love this book!!
Ann Sawyer
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A real eye opener of a book.
Sophie Mary
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written by teenage girls with autism, a glimpse of how sensory overload feels and some of the difficulties these teens face.
B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)
~Size Does Matter: The book is really short, too short, and it only covers one type of narrative. Even though I know that multiple girls collaborated on this book with writing and drawings, it only felt like one girl's experience. Especially since the Limpsfield Grange School teaches girls within the 11-16 age bracket. That is not to say the book isn't enjoyable to read, I did enjoy reading this and I feel it addresses a very important topic, however it felt like more of an introduction or a sho ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
M is for Autism is a book about a teenage girl with Autism written by teenage girls with Autism. This is an amazing book that shares daily trials of a girl with autism to give us a realistic understanding of what she feels and is trying to deal with. If you've ever wondered about the struggle someone with autism is dealing with, take a peek into the thoughts of M.

With complete honesty, she narrates the daily trials of desiring to be normal, feeling overwhelmed and anxious about unexpected situa
Lisa Green
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, ya
A really superb, easy to understand, and factual insight into life with autism as a teenage girl.

• Can You See Me?
  • The Double Comfort Safari Club (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #11)
  • The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #12)
  • I Go Quiet
  • The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
  • Education Exposed: Leading a school in a time of uncertainty
  • Grown Ups
  • The Heart of the Matter
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Three Hours
  • Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age
  • Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir
  • The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #13)
  • The Good Doctor of Warsaw
  • The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #14)
  • Here Lies the Librarian