Start by marking “1924: The Year That Made Hitler” as Want to Read:
1924: The Year That Made Hitler

1924: The Year That Made Hitler

The dark story of Adolf Hitler's life in 1924--the year that made a monster

Before Adolf Hitler's rise to power in Germany, there was 1924. This was the year of Hitler's final transformation into the self-proclaimed savior and infallible leader who would interpret and distort Germany's historical traditions to support his vision for the Third Reich.

Everything that would co
Published January 26th 2016 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about 1924, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1924

Maria Espadinha
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deconstructing Hitler - a monster is born

I must confess that knowing about the hitler before Hitler always stimulated my curiosity.
I wanted something that could explain (if possible ?!), the hedious monster everyone knows about!...

Did he once fall for a jewish beautiful girl that broke his heart into pieces?
Has he ever been a bullying target for some strong jewish boy that couldn't bear the sight of him?
Has he been one of those kids that set dogs tails on fire and pulled insects legs just for fu
Maria Espadinha
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hitler - A Génese do Monstro

“Como foi possível Hitler chegar ao poder é ainda a questão mais importante da história alemã dos séculos XIX e XX, senão mesmo de toda a história alemã”

Confesso que saber um pouco sobre o percurso do hitler que precedeu Hitler, sempre espicaçou a minha curiosidade!
Sempre alberguei um forte ensejo em descortinar algo capaz de explicar um mínimo que fosse, o maior assassino da História!...

Será que quando jovem se perdeu de amores por alguma beldade judia que o rejeitou
Jill Hutchinson
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved what another reviewer said about this book...."it is about the year that hitler became Hitler". He was a young man who could not seem to find his way in post-WWI Germany and whose anger at the defeat of his beloved (and adopted) country knew no bounds. A believer in the "stab-in-the-back" school of thought which posited that the German military never surrendered and was betrayed by the politicians and the Jews, he began to drift into political circles which held those same beliefs. By th ...more
Jerry Tutak
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can't help but to mark the similarities between 1924 in Germany and 2016 in the pursuit of the Presidency.
Mikey B.
Page 40 (my book) Dietrich Eckart,1923

If [Hitler] lets his Messiah complex run away with him, he will ruin us all.

This book is excellent denoting Hitler’s Beer hall Putsch and his subsequent imprisonment in Landesberg Prison. The author is most persuasive in convincing the reader of this crucial time period in Hitler’s rise to political power.

In one book I read of Germany it indicated that law enforcement, between the war years, was far more lenient on “right-wing” groups than on the left-wing,
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
My mind can't concentrate on writing a real review thanks to the election going on tonight. It's just insane, while listening to this, how many connections I could make to Hitler's rise to power and Trump. It's very disconcerting to see that. The refusal to give up and concede to the results. Hitler basically did that and look what happened. So, on this election day, with Fox news blaring at my work, it was a horrifying listen but very good. All of this is still completely relevant to politics t ...more
Pramodya
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve always had a curiosity in knowing how exactly Adolf Hitler became the man he was. How he became the man who emanated the single greatest human-made disaster in world history? What influenced him in his views and beliefs of racial superiority, anti-Semitism and violent based authoritarian rule?

It’s widely believed that the year 1924, in which he was imprisoned, was the year that affected his ambitions and altered his path toward his dictator-like role In the third Reich.
It changed hitler f
Kate
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, wwii
Peter Ross Range focuses down on a period of Hitlers life that usually merits 2-10 pages in the average book about Hitler. It was very informative because I knew 1923 was a year of angst and upheaval in many of the German states, but did not comprehend the full picture of disillusionment, fear and anger that prevailed.
Also he covers the way Hitler honed his rhetorical style drawing larger and larger crowds, which allowed him to take over the German Workers Party and turn it into the German Natio
Pat
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amazing I did not know about this year Hitler spent in prison and how he wrote Mein Kampf
Bfisher
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
In 1924, following a failed coup d’etat in Bavaria (the infamous Beer Hall Putsch), Adolf Hitler was tried for treason and sentenced to five years imprisonment, with parole eligibility after 6 months. This book describes how Hitler was able to turn what would ordinarily have been a career-ending failure into the opportunity to grow from a minor Bavarian nationalist party leader into a national figure, due to the exposure provided by coverage of the trial, and the performance he mounted at the tr ...more
Steve Peterson
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful and comparable to the 2016 Election
Carol Storm
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant book -- really captures the hidden agendas and dark motives behind the events that were dramatized so effectively in the American miniseries "Hitler: The Rise of Evil."
Ben Craik
With the Bavarian government’s chokehold on Mein Kampf set to run out this year, a book entitled 1924 (the year of its conception) seemed in serious danger of being sloppy and opportunistic. But its convenient timing and dramatic subtitle – The Year That Made Hitler – belie the book’s genuine merit.

Peter Ross Range follows Hitler through a transformative period in his life, beginning with a botched coup attempt and a trial for treason and ending with the production of what would become the holy
Jim
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Range looks into the year--1924--that, as he says, "made Hitler." In 1923, Adolf Hitler failed in his putsch, his attempt to take over the Bavarian state government in Munich. Along with the revered General Ludendorff, he had led his followers on the march from a beerhall to the center of Munich, where he was met by a line of police. Shots were fired and four policemen, thirteen of Hitler's men, and one bystander were killed--and Hitler was almost killed. It looked like the end of the short car ...more
Patrick Gendron
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading this book during the current presidential election has been an interesting experience. I really enjoyed reading about not Hitler the leader, but Hitler the man who becomes the leader. There was much time spent talking about peoples doubts surrounding Hitler early on, which I enjoyed because it shows the human aspect of "turning a blind eye" and the willingness of inaction. If you are on the fence about reading this, I would say don't, but if you are at all interested in the turning point ...more
S
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly researched and well-written.
Jill Meyer
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are two types of historical biographies. The first is the sweeping look at a long life. The second type is a small, shortish look at a particular part or event in a life. Adolf Hitler's life and the 12 Year Third Reich is closely examined, for instance, in William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". A smaller segment of Hitler's life, though, is examined quite thoroughly in "1924: The Year That Made Hitler", by Peter Ross Range.

The year 1924 was quite important in Adolf Hitler
Valkyrie Franco
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for history especially this Era much to my families chagrin.

Incredibly smooth read about a point in Hitler's history very few even talk about. I even learned a few things! Anyways I enjoyed seeing how and what made the Hitler everyone knows more commonly. A monster allowed to gain control before the country even had time to fully heal, taking full advantage of the desperation of its people. This monster was still just an uneducated man who was good at his speeches.

There are alrea
Becky Loader
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
My background on pre-WWII Germany and Hitler is scant. I found it very interesting to read about Hitler's personal background and his struggle as a young man. I did not know he was an artist and actually had to support himself by drawing picture postcards for a period of time. He was pretty much homeless and drifting until he joined the army. It wasn't until he discovered how he could use his voice that he moved forward in politics. The disastrous putsch he attempted put him in jail, where he ha ...more
Kate
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of this and wrote a feature article about it for the Historical Novel Society. It's a lucid, clear and engaging account of the time Hitler spend in prison after the failed Munich Putsch.

With excellent use of contemporary sources, this really brought Hitler vividly to life: covering in detail his rise to prominence, his arrest, his trial and subsequently the months he spent in prison writing Mein Kampf.

Would highly recommend.
Melissa
“During this time, he later said, he acquired enough knowledge and understanding ‘to provide my philosophy with a natural, historical foundation.’ In short, he found the ‘facts’ to support his prejudices and to convince himself that he was right about everything; his self-belief no longer ‘could be shaken by anything.’" Hmm, why does that seem so familiar to me?
Bruce Biggin
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Didn't know that much about Hitler and the history leading up to WWII. Read this book for my book club and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't like a text book. The author did some great research and was able to chronicle the year without boring me to tears.
Nicole Marble
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable book, brilliantly written, brilliantly read in the audio book.
Highly recommend.
Randy McCollum
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Range provides a deeper understanding of Hitler's hope for Germany in the aftermath of WW1. An excellent read.
Lola
When you're a tired college student faced with midterms, there isn't a lot of time for pleasure reading. There is, however, a bit of time between the time I take my night meds and when I start to fall asleep. That time, over a week or so, allowed me to read 1924 on my phone. Thank God for iBooks and sleep meds. What would we do without them?

1924 does not cover particularly new ground for me. I know the story of Hitler's early years: his artists attempts in Vienna, the time he served during WWI,
Mary Keen
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
(I gave this 4 stars --not because I "really liked it" but because it is well written with a lot of information I hadn't known.) It took me a long time to read this; I finally finished the last few pages with a CD audio version. Knowing the horrific conclusion, it was very painful to keep going n I kept putting off reading more.

The book did pretty well explain the terrible mystery of how Hitler was able to grasp control of Germany and conquer other countries. His start was difficult, making it
Crys
I would rate this a 3.5

First let me say I really enjoyed it. It was an interesting read, but it falls into a trap of "let me tell you all these things you may not know before I tell you about 1924" - if that makes sense.

It was interesting to read about the trial and the writing of his manifesto while in prison, and this is where I'm sad that the author did not put as much focus as I was hoping.

With that said, it was a good book. I learned a lot of interesting tidbits I didn't know before, and it
Lori
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics-history
Read this if you want to know how hate gathers political momentum and gets into a position of power. You will be astonished at the similarities to today's environment.
Tim
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book. Range covers the failed putsch and how it influenced Hitler's notoriety and his creation of a belief structure. I have read a lot about WWII, but this book gave me an entirely new perspective on the evils on National Socialism and how it started and grew.
Aloysius
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A look at the attempted coup, the trial, the prison stint, and the infamous book that turned Hitler the reactionary demagogue into the monster that menaced the world.
  • The Women Who Flew for Hitler: The True Story of Hitler's Valkyries
  • The Franco-Prussian War: The German Invasion of France, 1870-1871
  • When Paris Went Dark: The City of Light Under German Occupation, 1940-1944
  • The Reluctant King: The Life and Reign of George VI, 1895-1952
  • The Gestapo: The Myth and Reality of Hitler's Secret Police
  • Never Surrender: Winston Churchill and Britain's Decision to Fight Nazi Germany in the Fateful Summer of 1940
  • Strange Victory: Hitler's Conquest of France
  • Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45
  • Swastika Nation: Fritz Kuhn and the Rise and Fall of the German-American Bund
  • Hostage to History: Cyprus from the Ottomans to Kissinger
  • The Devil's Diary: Hitler's High Priest and the Hunt for the Lost Papers of the Third Reich
  • The Ghost Army of World War II: How One Top-Secret Unit Deceived the Enemy with Inflatable Tanks, Sound Effects, and Other Audacious Fakery
  • The Charisma of Adolf Hitler
  • King Arthur: History and Legend
“He painted a rosy picture of prewar Germany in contrast to its current “disgrace and defeat.”8 He made complicated things simple. “Political agitation must be primitive,” he said.9” 1 likes
“Unmarried and single-minded, obsessive, consumed with his own sense of mission, Hitler had no other life than politics. Hitler’s” 1 likes