Start by marking “Those Who Went Remain There Still” as Want to Read:
Those Who Went Remain There Still

Those Who Went Remain There Still

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Heaster Wharton is dead, and his passing might mean an end to hostilities between the Manders and the Coys. If the the elderly patriarch showed the kindness and foresight to split his land cleanly between his feuding descendants, then a truce could be arranged.

But his final request is a strange one, delivered across the country to the straggling remnants of his tribe. Repr
Published December 1st 2008 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Went Remain There Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Went Remain There Still

Karl
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Explore a cave that is known as the Witch's Pit in Cherie Priest's book "Those Who Went Remain There Still" . This a short fireside ghost story about a monster with big nasty teeth dripping with gore, arrives early in the book and scares you through out with this story based in central Kentucky.

The story begins with Daniel Boone cutting a road through the woods and wilderness. Something is stealing food and and spoiling the rest of their supplies.

This is not a part of the Clockwork Century serie
Miriam
Jul 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: library-lack
Having ordered this book three times and not received it, I decided to actually drive to the branch that owned it, since it was listed as on the shelf. It was not on the shelf. It has been missing since April, they just hadn't bothered to change the information in the catalog. Thanks a lot for the 30 minute drive, Valley Hi Library!

Moral of the story: if you can't get it from the Internet, don't bother.
Nikki
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't get on with the first Cherie Priest book I read (Boneshaker), but I enjoyed Bloodshot and Hellbent enough that I'm starting to try her other stuff. It seems like she can be a bit hit and miss, with me: I wasn't a big fan of Four and Twenty Blackbirds, either, but I enjoyed this short horror novella. It's mostly the atmosphere that works, the fact that she invokes her three narrators' voices well, brings to life the valley and the simmering resentment between the two halves of the family ...more
Chris
Did you watch History Channel's ratings breaking Hatfields and McCoys mini-series? Did you read a book about the famous feud? Then you might like this book. Two feuding families must send members to get a will that will relieve who gets the valley.

Of course, there is something in the cave. Something nasty.

The book's weakness is the second half which doesn't feel as scary as the sections told by Boone, who was one of the men who first discovered the monster.

Mike
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I’ve been waiting quite a while to read Those Who Went Remain There Still which I ordered for the library earlier in 2008. It was on backorder with B&T for a while and we only received our copy a week or so ago. I’m glad we finally did as the story (novella?) was a brisk entertaining read that cast a straightforward monster story in a fascinating light. In a sparse 175 pages Priest manages to craft not only a cast of believable characters, including the historical Daniel Boone, but a surpris ...more
Brooke
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2010
Cherie Priest seems to be able to do anything well. This novella is a creepy little monster story; it's sort of what the movie Jeepers Creepers would have been like if it was set in 1775 and 1899. The descriptions are vivid, the characters are interesting, and Priest does a good job creating a sense of foreboding and dread.
MG
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In 1775, Daniel Boone and a cast of hearty axe-men are busy chopping their way through the Cumberland Gap to clear the land for a road. These frontiersmen encounter a predator more powerful and cunning than any you might expect in the deep woods. Night after night, they encircle the campfire as members of their band are picked off one by one. Finally they overpower the monster, leaving the beast for dead in a nearby cave.

More than a hundred years have passed. In that same area a different fight
Chris
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
1775. Daniel Boone and a team of lumberjacks cut the Wilderness Trail through the wilds of Central Kentucky, finding themselves harried every night by a nefarious winged beast... 1899. The feud between the Coys and the Manders may well be over, as the progenitor of their lines (and their town) has passed. He's left in his wake instructions for six men -- three from each family -- to head into the local cave, the Witch's Pit, to collect his last will and testimony. But inside they find nothing bu ...more
MB Taylor
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I finished reading Those Who Went Remain There Still last night. It’s a short horror novel (170 pages) set in Kentucky in 1899 with flashbacks to 1775. Beyond that it’s a monster-in-the-dark romp.

The 1899 story concerns a feuding, somewhat inbred, Kentucky family, the Manders and the Coys, both descended from the recently deceased Heaster Wharton, Junior. Heaster is not only the local patriarch, but also the richest man in town (although that’s not saying much given the local squalor). In an app
Lyn
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
"A creepy little monster story" -- that's how author Cherie Priest describes this delightful 170-page tidbit of a novel.

Set in 1775 and 1899, the story alternates between Daniel Boone's adventure in building the Wilderness Road and two feuding families brought together over a patriarch's last will.

Although I felt the story started slowly, ponderously heavy with the baggage of exposition, once the assembled party got underway, the action developed with the crackle of an oil-fed wildfire. With the
Elizabeth
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very strange tale of an inbred family and how the their leader (Hester Jr) decided to choose his inheritor, combined with a tale of Daniel Boone and his men trying to clear a trail, 100 years before, through Kentucky, and the monster that brings them all together.
Kat  Hooper
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Thomas
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, e-book, 2016
Imagine a story like the Hatfields and McCoys, where two families feud over the course of generations. Imagine further that the patriarch of the two families has died, calling all of his family back to read his will. Six men -- three from each family -- are to descend into a nearby cave where he hid his will. That in itself would make for an interesting story, but Priest does it one better by setting Those Who Went Remain There Still against the backdrop of a monster story, as what the men find ...more
Angela
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, ebooks
One of the big reasons I've picked up everything Cherie Priest has written is her propensity for taking established SF/F tropes and finding not only new ways to look at them, but actively odd ones as well--and in a run of intriguingly odd books, Those Who Went Remain There Still stands out as particularly strange.

And that's a good thing. I haven't read very much non-steampunk fantasy out there set in the early history of the United States and to find this one was a pleasure in no small part beca
Fantasy Literature
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Those Who Went Remain There Still is a short Southern Gothic horror novel by Cherie Priest which I listened to in audio format. The story follows two plotlines told in alternating chapters. One is excerpts from Daniel Boone’s Reflections Upon the Wilderness Road which he wrote while leading a group of trailblazers across Kentucky. Every night, Boone and his men are being stalked, picked off, and eaten by a huge bird-like monster.

The second plotline follows the history of Daniel Boone’s descendan
Mary
Well this one is definitely weird. Cherie Priest calls it a monster story, and it is, but it is two stories tangled together from two times long ago. To my mind it is a variation of King's novel It. Two men, related but not close, come back to a cursed territory in Kentucky to settle a will after the mean, ancient family patriarch dies.

I am unsettled about the book. It ends abruptly, which I did not like, and some story threads (to my mind, anyway) hang unresolved, but the abrupt end may be exa
Vladimir Ivanov
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
У Чери Прист истории "про мистику" всегда получались лучше, чем стимпанк, и Those Who Went - не исключение. Это коротенький исторический хоррор от лица трёх рассказчиков из трёх поколений американского фронтира (один из которых, кстати, Даниэль Бун). Рассказчики всё время чередуются: то Бун со своими лесорубами натыкается в лесных дебрях Кентукки на гигантскую сову-людоеда, то опустившиеся потомки первопроходцев делят наследство умершего дядюшки, то священник разговаривает с духами умерших... По ...more
Orrin Grey
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
In her acknowledgments, Cherie Priest calls Those Who Went Remain There Still a "cheesy little monster story," and the best part is that she's not kidding. There's a seemingly unkillable bird-monster, there's Daniel Boone, there's spiritualism, and tons of weird adventure to be had. Plus the book is short, attractive, and illustrated. What more could you ask for?
Slmstanley
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Priest's Southern Gothic novels so damn much.

This one is told in two lines of narrative: one by Daniel Boone, and one by descendants of a Kentucky hill family who are imperiously summoned home after the passing of their family's hateful, violent patriarch. There, they are told that each branch of the family must send a representative into a dark cave in search of the will. Dark and evocative, this brought memories of my extended family back to my mind. Just brilliant.
Neil
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
first person narrator changing between chapters was very confusing, but it started off with an interesting premise (totally made me think of "The Upstream Tanbarks" from a recent session of my gaming group ;).

but one character "seeing dead people" felt a little played out, and the situation revealed at the end was pretty obvious halfway through. then it ended, without any resolution. just a mess of implausible action that felt like the spelunking horror film "Descent".
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Priest's strength lies in historical fiction set in her native Tennessee and it shows in this great story of a final, vindictive treasure hunt set by a man just as evil as the cave dwelling monsters he sends his family - without warning - to meet. Whether this is just one final malicious swipe from the grave, or an attempt to save future generations is not answered until the very end of the book, making this an entertaining read.
QuesterMark
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Gripping. So may parts written in a way that perfectly expresses frantic activity. Other parts written in a way that really sets the tone of the year in which the story is set. I saw an interview of Ms Priest on Sword and Laser, and she said something about this story being inspired by a cave in her family's folklore. Hey, did this come out before or after that monster movie ... darn, can't finish the question without including a spoiler.
Catherine Siemann
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Spare, vivid, and effective monster story set during Daniel Boone's road-building expedition through Kentucky and then again at the turn of the twentieth century, among a feuding Southern extended family. Every detail counts for something (for example, why a character is first encountered in Lily Dale, N.Y.) and the story has a cinematic quality that makes it vivid reading.
Alysa H.
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was a fun historical horror piece! Cherie Priest has a sardonic kind of attention to detail that I'm really coming to appreciate, as well as a cinematic way with descriptions. This piece, which is more of a novella than a full-on novel, would make a great movie -- maybe of the Quentin Tarantino variety.
Ignatz
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book very much. It rattles along at a good pace, and ends, I think, much too quickly. And I was thoroughly creeped out. Be forewarned: I am fairly easily creeped out if the story is good. If the story or writing is bad, I'll drop out of a book in a heartbeat. This one kept my interest so well I listened to it at home on a Saturday, instead of during my long commute.
Wendy
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this on the plane to Paris. It was short and somewhat violent but kind of interesting. It is about feuding members of an extended family having to go down into a cave to find a will that was hidden there. There is a silly-sounding, but viscious, monster down there. The author has a way of making the situation scarier than other authors could.
Les
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A quick read. Althought he start seemed somewhat hesitant at first the book quickly came together for me and I really developed a feeling for the environment the characters had escaped and were being drawn back to. The action is well paced and the ending left me in an oddly sober mood of contemplation. A monster story well done.
Maria D'Isidoro
This book is like a SyFy original movie if a SyFy movie were actually GOOD. It's a short, scary monster book for people who want their scare fix quickly and without atrocious acting. I could've asked for an extended ending, but I'll take what I've got without fuss.
Joanne
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am quite a fan of the author so was not surprised I loved this book. Every rereading adds to this haunting southern story's charm for me. I believe it is her best in many ways, and own both the hard to get print version and the equally gracious Audible version.
Daveski
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A fun and short monster story set in 1899. The creature is pretty unique and the story is engaging, but the ending was abrupt and super disappointing. Overall I did enjoy it though, enough to recommend it if you are looking for a quick creepy read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Alabaster
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
  • Seven for a Secret (New Amsterdam, #2)
  • Lot No. 249 (Fantasy and Horror Classics)
  • Blue Magic (Astrid Lethewood, #2)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • Futures from Nature
  • Scenting the Dark and Other Stories
  • Academic Exercises
  • Gravelight (Light, #3)
  • Softspoken
CHERIE PRIEST is the author of over a dozen novels, including the steampunk pulp adventures The Inexplicables, Ganymede, Dreadnought, Clementine, and Boneshaker. Boneshaker was nominated for both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award; it was a PNBA Award winner, and winner of the Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Cherie also wrote Bloodshot and Hellbent from Bantam Spectra; Fathom and the ...more
More about Cherie Priest...