Start by marking “Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales” as Want to Read:
Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales

Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales

The actress, comedian, media darling, and New York Times bestselling author picks up where she left off in Ali in Wonderland, dissecting modern lifeand this time, on a mission of self-improvementin a series of laugh-out-loud comic vignettes.

Moved by a particularly inspirational tweet one day, Ali Wentworth resolves to live by the pithy maxims she discovers in her feeds.
Published March 1st 2016 by Harper Paperbacks (first published June 9th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Happily Ali After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happily Ali After

Start your review of Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales
Suzanne
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this Ali book even more than I did her first book. There were some very entertaining stories and I love how she does not sugar coat and how she tells her stories in a manner than does not always paint a perfect image of her. Its refreshing to read. Cant wait to read her third book. ...more
Mediaman
Wentworth has a problem--on paper she is neither funny nor interesting, yet she is a spoiled rich kid who married a famous guy and now gets to publish books about a rather dull life that few of us can relate to. The woman is just not fascinating enough to have a second book about her life. Much of this book (especially the opening chapters) could have been written by anyone about anything, because Wentworth isn't funny enough to pull off a humorous memoir that has interesting anecdotes. Most of ...more
Victoria
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Ali Wentworth is my sarcastic sister, the blonde, upper-crust upbringing, WASP version of brunette, immigrant, Cuban-Catholic me. I only wish I could write a monologue like Ali can, because yes, these essays read like a comedy act. I love that this woman pokes fun at herself, shares awkward moments and farcical situations that made me wish I was reading this rather than listening so that I could highlight her very clever similes. On top of being hilarious, Ali writes memorable metaphors.

At the
Teresa Mann
Meh. Goodreads needs a "meh" star rating. Not very funny and not very interesting. It is books like this that frustrate me because I think that some of my life moments are WAY funnier, WAY crazier and WAY more relatable to the commoners such as us, in the real world - not in DC, NY or LA. One chapter was about her forgetting to renew her daughters' passports so (GASP) they couldn't leave for a fantastic Spain trip until the next day (after her famous husband "pulled some strings" to get the ...more
Neri.
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has some laughs but it isn't that funny as it imagines to be.
Vivienne Strauss
Mildly humorous tales by a slightly self-deprecating somewhat celebrity. Difficult to relate to someone privileged enough to jet set to Iceland and Spain (complain about both places) and whine that her parents never took her to Disneyland or any other tacky theme park.
David
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
slightly better than the horrible Jen Lancaster book i picked up at library a while back, but I have to add "people who use their name in silly titles" to my new list of warning signs that a purportedly funny book is not that funny.

occasionally made me smile (e.g., when her tween daughter dramatically protests some disciplinary move with "I hate you, Ali Wentworth" and she corrects her with "It's, 'I hate you, Mom!'") but mostly tedious anecdotes -- the time i got a spray tan, the time I got
Maureen Flatley
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the beach book of the summer! Make yourself an icy gin and tonic and stretch out on that beach chair. You will laugh out loud and identify more than a little w/ Ali's hysterical insights. Hilariously wonderful! A summer reading list must!
Ani
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many negative comments about this book in the reviews but I do t understand why? It's a comedian writing about her life. I enjoyed it for what it was.
So it's fair to say I have a crush on her husband, George Stephanopoulos and decided I wanted to see what she was all about. I cannot believe that they are married - seem so different. This had a few laugh out loud moments - she reads the audio book.
Nancy
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ali is funnier than I knew. Mostly because I'd only seen her on Yahoo and knew she was married to George Stephanopolas. Most of the fairly true tales were fairly family friendly and enjoyable. There were a few times she bordered on crass which is what brought my interest level down. The first 75% is hilarious and utterly enjoyable. So much so that I decided that, if a movie is ever made of my own fascinating, suburban life, I choose Ali to play me. She makes middle age and aging okay by me.
Joanne Rodrigues
If you are looking for something frivolous to read, look no further than this book. There is no story that you need to follow. Just a lot of mindless ramblings about inconsequential things like Botox, exercise or a lack of, children and men. The only thing going for it is that Some of it is actually quite funny.

Amy
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed my way through this book on a rainy afternoon. As a woman of about the same age I could really relate to her stories (although I would trade my husband of 20+ years for George Stephanopoulos so she doesn't have it too bad). Definitely a recommended read for those of us approaching the big 50.

I received this book as part of a goodreads giveaway.
Christina
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ali so much. She's witty, honest, and totally relatable. I want to be friends with her. I breezed through this short book in a hour and a half and laughed out loud numerous times, though I felt like it was lacking in content.
Karen
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grown-up, nonfiction
I really wanted to like this. I like her! Shes a comedic train wreck! She just doesnt write as well as she performs. What comes off as delightfully Lucy-ish on the screen does not translate to the page. (Should have seen it coming, since I found it at Family Dollar.) ...more
booksandcarbs
3.5 stars. Laughed aloud many times! Quick and funny read by a seemingly grounded celeb.
Ash
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cathy O'Neal
I like Ali Wentworth. She's mostly funny, although sometimes I think she tries too hard at being funny. I enjoyed her first book. This one is random funny things that have happened to her, like an adventure vacation to Iceland that the kids hated, getting Botox and a commencement speech she had to do four "performances" of in one day. Her funniest musings are those about the indignities of aging. (Note to Ali: Wait until you see what happens in your 60s!) I particularly like when she tells ...more
Tamara
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So my friends are fond of saying something is "mind candy". Well, in my world "mind candy" can be a good thing. This book is full of short little stories of a working mom living in Manhattan. It is full of funny stories in the world of show business all told with great humor. There is no moral enlightenment from reading this book. In the end, I just feel happy and soul is lighter from the hours of laughter.

There is a bloody incident that required a trip to the emergency room. Of course anyone
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
This book started off really good: great life lessons such as not to judge folks and the story of how she met her husband after setting her lover (who read political books while they were on beach getaway) free. It then turned into random Ali stuff, which might have been fine had I not just read some of these in her most recent book. Lots of repeated stories such as her daughter asking if they had anal sex (only for jewelery). A so so read, not as good as her other two though.
Renee
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on audio, Happily Ali After is the author's quest for self-improvement which include parenting, relationship, fitness (or lack thereof), and dieting advice.
I've been a long time fan of Ali Wentworth and it seems her humor and wit sharpens with age; she is so very funny and I loved everything about this book.
My favorite part is when the author quickly lists the 20 plus types of exercise and the hysterical reasons why she cannot partake.
Colleen
Funny and entertaining and not too long. OK, she is a spoiled, rich woman who really should be happy and delightful every day of her life, but has complaints and whines just like the rest of us. But her tales of woe and jokes about having to have sex, exercising, and parenting won me over. Basically a hoot and someone you would enjoy having as a friend to commiserate with.
Leanna
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I had fun reading this book, I just waited a little longer than I should have to write a review and I started another book right after it, so my detailed memory on this is already buried. I do remember that I wanted to read her previous book and I will definitely read this again and will jot down something better for the review.
Julie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ali Wentworth is hilarious...but her books aren't. Not sure where her comedic timing and personality get lost, but they don't make it to paper. I had read one of her other books a few years back and saw this one in the dollar store, so I picked it up. My mom loves Ali Wentworth (and George Stephanopoulos) so I partially picked it up knowing that she would want to read it, too.
Linshu Wang
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ali's books always give me good laughs. I started reading them out of curiosity about her class and all that Hollywood glamour. I did not expect them to be this delightful and lively. I love her books!
katy marcotte
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

With the world seeming to go insane this past week, with children behind barb wire and parents separated from their children I picked up my kindle and read this book. What a soul saver! Laughing until my sides hurt, I can only say, thank you, thank you Ali Wentworth!!
JustKate
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ali narrates the audio book and I think I laughed so hard i peed a little (more than once).
I find her brand of humor hilarious and her working mother/aging woman stories relate able, even if I can't relate to the famous husband/NYC/Hollywood parts ;)
Lyndsey Ritz
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good laugh

This book was a great break from the seriousness of life. Ali has a great sense of humor and by being able to laugh at herself your able to do the same! I had many laugh out loud moments and can definitely say it helps put life in perspective.
Ouida Foster
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. Wild to think she is married to George Stephanopoulos and has her WASP-pre-life to Hollywood and then "real-life" as mom. It somehow makes all of her anecdotes have some angle of relate-ability, besides just being funny.
Barb
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
While I didn't think this was quite as funny as her previous novel, the part on menopause had me nearly rolling on the floor. Overall it was funny and irreverent and totally worth the time to read it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Let's Just Say It Wasn't Pretty
  • Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
  • Fairytale Interrupted: What JFK Jr. Taught Me About Life, Love, and Loss
  • The Fenton Case (Markham Sisters #6)
  • This Is Really Happening
  • Snotgirl #5
  • RWBY (2019-) #13
  • RWBY (2019-) #10
  • RWBY (2019-) #5
Ali Wentworth is the author of the New York Times bestseller Ali in Wonderland. She made a name for herself on the comedy show In Living Color and has appeared on such television shows as The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Seinfeld, Head Case, and The Oprah Winfrey Show, for which she was a correspondent. Her film credits include Jerry Maguire, The Real Blonde, Office Space, and Its Complicated. A ...more

News & Interviews

“The triumph was mustering up the courage to believe in the value of my purpose and myself. For lunch I treated myself to a Philly cheesesteak hero; after all, it was a big day for me: I had grown a pair of balls. Marriage HERE’S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MEN AND WOMEN: WOMEN ARE CRAZY, MEN ARE STUPID.” 1 likes
“Even though inspirational quotes can nail it in a sentence or two, sometimes one needs to live the lesson to understand it. Okay,” 0 likes