Start by marking “Assassin's Creed: Underworld (Assassin's Creed, #8)” as Want to Read:
Assassin's Creed: Underworld (Assassin's Creed, #8)

Assassin's Creed: Underworld

(Assassin's Creed #8)

*Brand new tie in book to the new Assassin's Creed: Syndicate*

A disgraced Assassin. A deep-cover agent. A quest for redemption.

1862, and with London in the grip of the Industrial Revolution, the world's first underground railway is under construction. When a body is discovered at the dig, it sparks the beginning of the latest deadly chapter in the centur

Published November 5th 2015 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Assassin's Creed, please sign up.
Heather Yep, this one is already out on PC, PS4, and Xbox One, it's just called Assassin's Creed Syndicate. :) Been out since late October if I recall correct…moreYep, this one is already out on PC, PS4, and Xbox One, it's just called Assassin's Creed Syndicate. :) Been out since late October if I recall correctly.(less)

Start your review of Assassin's Creed: Underworld (Assassin's Creed, #8)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Assassin's Creed: Underworld (Assassin's Creed, #8), Oliver Bowden

Assassin's Creed books follow various time periods and revolve around the Assassins at war with the Knights Templar.

Assassin's Creed Underworld follows Henry Green and Detective Abberline six years before the events of Syndicate, eventually ending with the game's final missions in Evie's perspective.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز پنجم ماه ژوئن سال 2018 میلادی

عنوان: فرقه اساسین ها: کتاب هشتم: دنیای تبهکاران؛ نویسنده: اولیور باودن (بودن)؛
Carly
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, read-in-2016

Well, that was emotional.

As a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed and Victorian London, I HAD to buy this book. After finishing the game a month or so ago, I needed to fill the hole that it had left in my heart.

The book is essentially split into three halves, starting before the events of the game and focusing on the character of Henry Green (or Jayadeep Mir/The Ghost/Bharat Singh) and how he became an Assassin. It later focuses on the Frye twins and follows the story of the game exactly.

As much a
Marjolein
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

When I first got this title my initial exited was tempered by the fact I'd not before seen such a mess of an ARC. There were random numbers everywhere and broken lines. I contacted Netgalley and a little bit jokingly asked them if AC releases their ARCs like their games, half finished and full of glitches. It however turned out that it was not easy to solve this problem, but since I really wanted to read it at that time, and my
Kasey
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was difficult for me to rate because I liked the characters a lot and the story was interesting, but it was written poorly. There was very little detail, and this made it difficult to properly follow what was happening. There were a lot of gaps and jumps in detail and story, and a lot of it felt more like a summary from a bystander than a story about the people experiencing it.
Emily G
I enjoyed the first part of the book with Jayadeep becoming the Ghost and his relationship with Maggie. I wish that she had featured more, as she was an interesting character who had obviously survived a life full of experiences, good and bad.

The second part where the Ghost becomes Henry and meets the latest Assassins, Evie and Jacob Frye, children of Ethan, he loses his confidence in his amazing abilities, which is a shame. Mainly because if his father had listened to Ethan at the beginning, He
Ai Xiao
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I read AC 2, 1, 3, 4, then 8. They're all written by Bowden, and I am disappointed to come to my own conclusion that he had either decided to inject some British flavour (of the no-flavour kind), or he has tired from writing so many AC novels. Where he used to write with such depth as to the environment, he no longer does. Subtle details to draw the reader into the cultural setting, quite none. Where he does attempt to elaborate something, it sounds just like that - an attempt.
Plot-wise, the bu
Carleen Hyatte
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
finished this and loved it 5 stars. Assassin creed books always pull me in and this was no exception.
Grace
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
I feel like I owe Mr. Bowden an apology. I went in with very low expectations, expecting pulp fiction. I didn’t get that. Not at all. I’m actually quite happy to be proven wrong. So, thank you, Mr. Bowden.

I’m going to give you a little bit of backstory about me before continuing on with this review. It’s not necessarily needed, but it may help knowing where I’m coming from after I read this.

I played Assassin’s Creed: Unity and that’s about it. I don’t recall much of the plot and the characters
ضحى الحداد
This book is the finale of the Oliver Bowden series, I still have two more books to go in this universe :)

So in this book we go to London during the great depression years and we are introduced to The Ghost ( aka Henry ) and the famous twins Jacob and Evie .. I loved those twins so much and they are such a good team, I liked this book and it had a certain charm to it, the ending was so adorable, I wish if we can get a book for Syndicate I think it will be epic :)
connie
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3/5 stars

Assassin's Creed: Underworld is the companion novel for Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, the latest (and my favourite) Assassin's Creed game.

I guess I'll start off with the big negative with this one that brought it down the two stars, and that's the editing. There is a big problem with repetitiveness- at one point an entire section was repeated, as well as small phrases being used within paragraphs of each other. There were a lot of grammar mistakes and some sentences were written as if
Agnieszka "Aeth" Jędrzejczyk
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: game-tie-in
As weird as this sounds: 5 stars for the first 70%, 3 for the last 30%. This was a really engaging story that enriches both the character of Henry Green and the Assassin's Creed mythology, which was a real pleasure to read at that, but only up to the point when it turns into a quick and messy recap of the events from the game. I've played the game and I loved the game - and I loved that the book did not, at least at the beginning, try to become a summary of the game's events and instead attempte ...more
Helene
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-books
Give me a medal, I finished this in 1 year and 2 months omg....
It was not that I didn't like the book subject, the happenings and stories.. It's just written in a way that just didn't capture me at all.

I am a huge Assassin's Creed fan and especially Syndicate which may be my favorite game of all time. It's so interesting to see the back story from some of the characters and because of that it makes a lot more sense the way they act in the game. It also just confirms that I want the imagination
Kati
If Evie isn't the most inept Assassin, she's very close. Her brother does all the work while she devotes all her time to looking for artifacts she never gets anyway, and she doesn't seem to care at all that in the meantime, people are suffering under the Templars' rule - she's all words, no do, but she scoffs at her brother who actually makes a mark, and accuses him of doing nothing but killing. Funny how throughout the book he's the only one who actually achieves something, all the others - Geo ...more
Ling
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded off to 4.

I enjoyed three quarters of the book which focused more as a prequel to the game. It was lovely that the author chose to focus on Henry, who remained enigmatic throughout Syndicate. To my dismay, however, the transition from Henry to the Frye twins brought about a major change of pace (although understandable given the circumstance of cramming everything into 400+ pages, I still ruminate on the possibilities) and my only major complaint is that more effort could have b
Ekaterina
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
What I really liked about this book was the historical background, and the facts about the construction of London Underground are really interesting. The Assassins vs Templars theme was boring, inconsistent and mostly unimportant. I think, the more recent the period of history they choose, the duller would be all the chases and secret weapons and stuff... Who would need those, when everyone has a gun? At least, the author of this book failed to answer that.
Bibay
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-etc
After such a great gameplay, this book was disappointing. The emotions fell flat, and the romantic part made me cringe so hard. While enjoy the learning more about Henry Green in the beginning of the book, there were so many holes in the part that were covered in the game. Perhaps it's intentional?
Roman Egorov
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story, very well put together. Until the last part, where the game supposedly begins... I love the game, but it's a lousy story. Everything before that though, absolutely amazing.
LJ Maccers
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really solid book up until the point where it turned into a mediocre retelling of the game.
That sounds really negative, but I actually quite liked it. The first two thirds or so really added depth to the character of Henry Green, and built up the events leading to the story in ways that changed my perspective on things and added to my enjoyment of the game. Even the few chapters from younger Evie's perspective were cute and I felt like they complemented and added to her characterizat
Wayne
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OK so I love Assassins Creed. I've played the games, read all the books, am looking forward to the movie.

This book however was brilliant. It gave a.backstory to the game that was so interesting and something knew to me.

The AC books have always been written as if they are in the same world as the games but from a different perspective, Oliver Bowden has written all the tie in books and has always done a brilliant job. This time however he has excelled himself. This book was outstanding.

The writin
The Cats’ Mother
This came from my Book Club friend, not our typical fare, and she didn't like it either, but I like to at least try different genres. I'm not into video games of any kind, had only heard of AC because I saw a movie trailer, and had no idea what it's about. I got 120 pages in to this before realising I really didn't care, and am none the wiser for it. A young Indian boy, trained since childhood to be an assassin, but who failed his first kill, is sent to London to work undercover for an establish ...more
Alistair
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Overall I really enjoy the Assassin's Creed books, however this one took an interesting turn.

It was all going very nicely until 100 pages from the end when the Frye twins turned up as adults. At this point the detailed explanations that have surrounded events seem to disappear and large periods of time are jumped over. Additionally, conclusions are reached without explanation - one can make assumptions about why they occurred but it leaves the reader feeling unsatisfied. Unlike the first 3/4 of
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is the first book in the series that I have read. The characters and setting really leapt off the pages, and at times I couldn't put the book down. haven't played Syndicate, the game this book is based upon, yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how or if the story lines overlap. The book felt a little long but other than that, it was enjoyable. When I have time I want to read the previous seven.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for a fair and honest
Sara
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a 2.5 not a full 3 mainly because of the last part of the book that was rather rushed. Let's be real, the vault scene was pretty terrible. I liked the first two, the story of the Ghost and Fred Abberline, but I would have liked more focus on the twins. They could have been great, but Evie came out as an obsessive little girl and Jacob appears just a couple of time while he's talking with his sister and nothing more.
Laura Kinch
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
First two parts of this book? Yeah, pretty good. I enjoyed them. Part 3, I don't know what happened. It was like the editor quit or something. Part 3 read like a draft copy. This would've been good if I'd stopped reading after part 2, but I'm going to assume the content of part 3 had something to do with marketing the game. If so, it really didn't work.
Evie
Nov 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book paled in comparison to the other books in this series. It would be an insult to even compare it to the game. Massive quality drop in this book.
Massive plot holes, characters nowhere near as charismatic as they should be and terrible world building. It takes a lot to make Victorian London seem dull, somehow this book did it.
Victor Frankenstein
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was quite disappointed by this book. While I like Oliver Bowden's writing style, I feel like this story was not adequately developed. I expected to see more of the Rooks, more of the Frye twins and more of Jacob's relationship with Roth (one of the most interesting aspects of the game, in my opinion). Other than that, it was a pleasant enough book, even though I wasn't fully immersed in it.
Liana
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
Being one of my favorite Assassin's Creed games, I was excited to get to the retelling part of it in the book, but surprisingly I found much more interesting the first part, the "prequel" part of the book. The retelling seems almost written by someone else. Overall I really enjoyed being in the world of ACS again and loved to know more of Jayadeep and Ethan's story. The ending was really cute <3 ...more
Mohammed Algarawi
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm starting to get sick of this series. Writing is good, but the story is flat.
Mrs Nicola Robertson
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
love this series so close to the game yet a very detailed back story to the characters within the game. can actually be read as a stand alone series game play is not essential. I love this series
Julius Slighterman
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Someone tell the author about "show, don't tell", please...
« previous 1 3 next »

• Last Descendants (Assassin's Creed: Last Descendants #1)
  • Assassin's Creed: The Official Movie Novelization
  • The Invisible Imam (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Tomb of the Khan (Assassin's Creed: Last Descendants #2)
  • Fate of the Gods (Assassin's Creed: Last Descendants, #3)
  • The World of the Witcher
  • Assassin's Creed: The Chain
  • Assassin's Creed: The Fall
  • Assassin's Creed: Reflections
  • A Causa das Coisas
  • Enquanto Salazar Dormia...
  • Cinco homens que abalaram a Europa : biografias cruzadas
  • No Dream Is Too High: Life Lessons From a Man Who Walked on the Moon
  • The Art of Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Artemis Fowl Collection (Artemis Fowl, #1-7)
  • Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
  • The Myth of the Andalusian Paradise: Muslims, Christians, and Jews under Islamic Rule in Medieval Spain
  • The Story of Silver: How the White Metal Shaped America and the Modern World
Anton Gill (aka Oliver Bowden) has been a full-time professional writer since 1984, and in the course of the last 27 years he has published 35 books. Gill was born in Ilford, Essex, the son of a German father and an English mother, and grew up in London. He is an acclaimed novelist and Renaissance historian currently living in Paris, France. Bowden has written novelizations of several of the Assas ...more

Assassin's Creed (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Assassin's Creed, #2)
  • Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade (Assassin's Creed, #3)
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Assassin's Creed, #4)
  • Assassin's Creed: Forsaken (Assassin's Creed, #5)
  • Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (Assassin's Creed, #6)
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity (Assassin's Creed, #7)
  • Assassin's Creed: Heresy
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey (The Official Novelization)
  • Assassin's Creed: The Complete Collection (Assassin's Creed, #1-8)

News & Interviews

“we’re all in the business of selling ideas to the masses, and we all think our ideas are the ones to save the world,” 5 likes
“Oh, like I say, I've seen you in action, it's the others who should worry, but..."
His head dropped. "But...?"
"But I also saw you hesitate when you had that murderous little toff bang to rights, and I saw the fight drain out of you, just as surely as you'd been uncorked. I saw someone who's very good at dealing death but ain't got no heart for doing it. Now, I've met lots of evil bastards with a sadistic streak long as your arm, who would go knocking your teeth out of your mouth just because they had too many ales and fancied swinging their arm. Evil bastards who loved dishing out pain but only to those weaker and more vulnerable than themselves. Christ only knows, I've been married to two of them. And what's more, I've seen men who was good at fighting and could handle themselves if a brawl broke out, and who would do what they had to do given the circumstances, and maybe take a grim pride in their work, and maybe not. But what I ain't never seen is a man so good at fighting as you, who had so little stomach for it. [...] I wondered about that an awful lot, young man, believe you me. I've wondered if maybe you was a deserter from the army but not out of cowardice, oh no, I've never seen a man so brave, but because you're one of them, what you call it? Conscientious objectors. Well, the truth of it is, that I don't know, and from the sounds of what you're saying now, it's probably best I don't know, but what I do know is that you've got a big heart and there's no room in this world for people with a heart like yours. This world eats up people with hearts like yours. Eats them up and spits them out. You ask if I worry? Yes, my boy, I worry. You ask why? That's why.”
0 likes