Start by marking “Resurgence (Heritage Universe, #5)” as Want to Read:
Resurgence (Heritage Universe, #5)

Resurgence

(Heritage Universe #5)

Hans Rebka, interstellar trouble-shooter, had solved the mystery of the gigantic Artefacts and defeated the warlike Zardala - but that was only the warm-up for the main event. In one arm of the galaxy, something is destroying whole stellar systems, Rebka and his motley crew discover a battle beginning.
Published March 30th 2004 by Baen Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Resurgence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurgence

Maddalenah
Okay, I stopped reviewing the individual books and I'm going to give a review of the entire series since I've read it all at once and it seems to make more sense this way.
These are not my favourite Sheffield books. The characters have managed to stay little more than archetypal caricatures (the pampered scientist who doesn't know what the world is really like; the stoic but loveable troubleshooter; the slaves that REALLY WANT TO REMAIN SLAVES; the comedic duo of mischief that are always scheming
Matt
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A really weak ending to a series I otherwise really enjoyed. Hard Sci-fi for the most part with adventure and some humor thrown into the mix. I wish I knew if this was how Sheffield planned to end the series or if his untimely death left it unfinished. I suspect the latter. So much is left unsaid, and a really unsatisfying ending with regards to the characters themselves. That being said the series as a whole is great but its the characters I'll remember.

The scheming, untrustworthy Atvar H'sial
John Loyd
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Orion arm of the Galaxy had many builder artifacts, none less than 3 million years old, until a new artifact appeared and not too long afterward all of the artifacts disappeared. Read Summertide, Divergence, Transcendence and Convergence, the first four books in the Heritage Universe. Back with us are the characters from those novels. Troubleshooter Hans Rebka, Darya Lang who literally wrote the book on builder artifacts, E. Crimson Tally an embodied computer, ethical counselor Julian Graves ...more
Paul Silver
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The fifth installment in Sheffield's Heritage Universe series. I was surprised to discover this book existed, as I thought the fourth book tied up most of the loose ends and given at least a bit of a resolution as to what had happened to the mysterious Builders, creators of artifacts that have existed in the universe for millions of years.

I wish I had stayed in ignorance. The book isn't bad, but it isn't great either, and is probably the poorest Sheffield book that I own. It takes quite a while
Skolia
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Overall, this is a good exploration science fiction series.

Having said that, some of the series mysterieres are never resolved/explained. I don't know if Sheffield planned to do more with it later or not but if you are a reader that needs all the i's dotted and t's crossed, you may go crazy.
Mark Baller
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
another good one in the series hope to get into the next book soon
Jefferson Burson
Alan Parsley
rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel

Heritage Universe (5 books)
  • Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1)
  • Divergence (Heritage Universe 2)
  • Transcendence (Heritage Universe 3)
  • Convergence (Heritage Universe, #4)