Start by marking “Drive (The Expanse, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Drive (The Expanse, #0.5)

Drive

(The Expanse #0.5)

Read "Drive", a Prequel to The Expanse series.

The Expanse, premiering in December 2015 on Syfy, is based on The New York Times best selling book series by James S.A. Corey. Set two hundred years in the future, where man has colonized the outer asteroid belt, The Expanse follows the case of a missing girl that brings together a hardened detective and a rogue ship captain in
Published November 27th 2012 by SyFy

Start your review of Drive (The Expanse, #0.5)
Kemper
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Geez, Solomon. You’d have to be nuts to do a solo space flight testing that experimental engine you developed.”

“Hold my beer.”

This is a free short story set in the The Expanse series that tells us about how a Martian engineer named Solomon Epstein developed the drive system used by all the space ships. That sounds like it’d just be nerd bait for the kind of hardcore fans who look for schematics of fictional starships on the interwebs, but this actually has a couple of really solid hooks that ma
Petrik
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Mini-review

3.5/5 stars

Drive is a great short story about Solomon Epstein and the invention of Epstein’s Drive.

Epstein’s Drive, despite its lack of discussion in the main series, is a very important foundation in The Expanse universe. I mean, it’s pretty much what allows the possibility of space travel in the series, and unlike Gods of Risk, which in my opinion was just awfully boring, Drive was more or less up to the standard of storytelling provided in The Butcher of Anderson Station short stor
Lori
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very nice short work. The man that started it all with the Epstein drive.

He met her ten years before. The research center at Dhanbad Nova was one of the largest on Mars. Three generations after the first colonists dug into the rock and soil of humanity’s second home, progress had pushed the envelope of human science, understanding, and culture so far that the underground city could support five bars, even if one of them was the alcohol-free honky-tonk where the Jainists and born-again Christians
Dennis
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
2021 reread:

Looking back at my review, I see that apparently I tried to read this series three times already. Wow, I didn't remember that at all. But it's clear that I really suck at sticking to a series.

This short story/novelette here is chronologically the first Expanse story, but was published between books two and three. Having (re)read the first two books as well this year, I can now tell you that it doesn't matter if you start with this story or with the novels. However, the authors recomm
Bradley
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

This IS *almost* the exact same story that was aired on the second season of Expanse about the discovery of the ever-burning propulsion drive. :)

Without it, too much handwavium occurs.

Thank you, guys. :) Poignant and sweet and scary in 30 pages. :)
Trish
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a companion short story for the book series and was actually part of an episode in the TV show as well. Therefore, I already knew what would happen but the writing style is nevertheless superb and I found myself on the edge of my seat, completely forgetting that I already knew how this would end. *lol*

The story is about how a certain drive technology, the ever-burning propulsion drive used in the space ships we know from the books, was discovered. Without the discovery of this kind of dr
Daniel
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice little story about the creator of the Epstain Drive. Lots of feelings and a bit lyrical writing. For the fans a nice addition, for the rest not so much.
Tudor Vlad
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually read this last year but never added it to Goodreads. Seeing as today's episode of The Expanse is going to adapt this short story made it feel like a good moment to do so.
I was initially considering to give this a 5 star rating because even if short, and telling a story that is already (part of it) present in the main series, that ending made me cheer for a future I know I'll probably never see.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Wow. RTC
Rob
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a free short story, marketed as a "prequel" to the Expanse. It is available here: http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/

As a prequel, I don't really find this very useful. It gives a bit of background on the Earth and Mars division and the creation Epstein drive. If this is meant for people unfamiliar with the series, this won't really give them much of a background.

However for fans of the series already, this offers some nice little tidbits of world building.

Overall this is well written
Aaron
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very short story from the Expanse series (located here) detailing Solomon Epstein's invention of the Epstein drive, which by the time of the first novel of the series, Leviathan Wakes, has allowed full colonization of the solar system.

Solomon's story is recapped in brief in LW (view spoiler), but reading more details of his experience is tragic, a shot of pa
César Bustíos
"He could go to the Jovian system and be the first person to walk on Europa and Ganymede. He isn’t going to, though. That’s going to be someone else. But when they get there, they will be carried by his drive."

Much better than the previous novella. This is the story of the Epstein drive, the end of Solomon and the beginning of Solar System colonization beyond Mars.
Ashley
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
"He’s sorry that he won’t be able to see Caitlin one more time. To tell her goodbye and that he loves her. He’s sorry he won’t get to see the consequences of his [space ship] drive. Even through the screaming pain, a calmness and euphoria start to wash over him. It’s always been like this, he thinks. From when Moses saw the promised land that he could never enter, people have been on their deathbeds just wanting to see what happens next. He wonders if that’s what makes the promised land holy: th ...more
Pallavi
Feb 23, 2021 rated it liked it
***3.0***

We do have a mention about Solomon Epstein and Epstein Drive. We also know that it helped humanity to travel outside earth and colonize on other planets.
This novella gives a background on how it happened, who was Solomon etc. A very needed short novella which acts like a prequel to Expanse series.
Happy Reading!!!
Carrot ♡
Jun 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2022, t‿t
3.5 stars.
This book was fun to read. We already know about the creation of Epstein drive in book one though we get a short story from Epstein’s pov. I didn’t care for Epstein/Caitlin stuff. There wasn’t much to the plot, to be frank.
Karen’s Library
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Good short story about the invention of the Epstein drive.
Justine
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-read, novella
Here we get a little backstory on Solomon Epstein's invention of the drive that ultimately makes interplanetary travel realistic. ...more
Kevin Kelsey
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Terrific and tragic short story set in The Expanse universe about Solomon Epstein's invention of the Epstein drive. ...more
julia ☆ [owls reads]
May 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, novellas
Pretty sweet and pretty sad to read about how it all Began.
Jason
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
5 Stars

What an amazing novella that really kicks off this amazing series. I loved it.
Peter Tillman
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good prequel to the series, with none of the weird early protomolecule stuff that almost had me give up on it. Slice-of-life story on colonial Mars, with fraying ties to Earth. Drive engineer Solomon Epstein comes up with a good new one, way better than he was expecting. Good enough to open the System to humans. Too bad Solomon won't be there to see it....

Good old-fashioned SF. Here's where to find a copy:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ai...
The old link at the Syfy site doesn't work now.
Quintin Zimmermann
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The prequel to The Expanse series where Solomon Epstein single-handedly developed the Epstein Drive which revolutionised space travel for mankind.

This is juxtaposed with the brewing conflict between Earth and Mars that ultimately plays out in Leviathan Wakes.

A quick perspective of the man behind the Drive with all his hopes and dreams.
Glitterbomb
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't say one bad thing about The Expanse series, and this prequel is no exception.

Drive is an excellent short story about Solomon Epstein, and his development of the Epstein Drive. The drive that was pivotal in the colonization of the solar system. The story flips between the past and present. The past being Epstein's memories, his hopes and dreams, and his love for his wife, and the present... he's testing his new drive and is hurtling through space at unimaginable speeds. And its going to k
Julie
I've finally started catching up on all The Expanse short fiction in preparation for Cibola Burn: this is the first one, a lil short story covering the invention of the Epstein Drive (although it took me a bit to remember its name and therefore place the context for the story while I was reading it). It's a nice little vignette from life on Mars, dipping into the life of Solomon Epstein, hopping back and forth chronologically with a far more tragic context than I ever would've guessed. It's surp ...more
donna backshall
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. All of this. Especially this:

“No, sweetie. I’m not angry,” she said gently. “Angry is yelling. This is resentful, and it’s because you’re cutting me out from the fun parts. Really, I look at you, and see the happiness and the excitement, and I want to be part of that. I want to jump up and down and wave my arms and talk about how great it all is. But that money was our safety net. You’re ignoring the fact that you spent our safety net, and if we both ignore it, the first time somet
Alan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Sigh, I understand I'm being picky but these so-called novellas are really short stories. I'm mean if you're going to hit the series' fans with digital only stories, the fans deserve a little more for the money.

Now, despite the above this, I think, the best of the bunch so far. In a very brief piece the reader gets an opportunity to get to know the inventor of the Epstein Drive, and some of those around him. The ending is easy to figure out from page one, but that shouldn't derail most readers f
Brandon
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction, ebook, syfy
This is a short one - only 30 pages, but it's a good read. Drive tells the story of Solomon Epstein, the creator of the aptly named "Epstein Drive", the engine that allows humanity to explore the solar system.

If you're a big fan of The Expanse series and are hungry for more material, this is for you. However, I wouldn't say this is at all necessary in regards to the full scope of the series. Interesting and tragic nonetheless.
Bram
This is a short story in the Expanse series that tells the story of Solomon Epstein, and the origins of the Epstein drive.

Well, it's interesting backstory, but not much else. The writing is the same, meaning good, but the story itself isn't much to look at. It isn't bad per se, just not very thrilling or exciting. It's really short though, so I'd recommend reading it just to learn a little history.

3.5 stars.
Lata
Apr 04, 2022 rated it really liked it
2022-03: 4 stars.
Tightly written, with a lovely, melancholic ending, and a great description of how Solomon Epstein’s revolutionary ship drive came to dominate the move outwards into the solar system.

2015-11: 4 stars
Scott  Hitchcock
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, expanse
3.5*

I love how DA, Corey if you must, does his usual character building here in the sci-fi/SO genre. The story was well executed for one so short. Nice primer for the main series.
Beyond Reality: The Expanse--Drive, Expanse #2.75 Short Fiction 6 17 May 19, 2018 07:22PM

• The Kaiju Preservation Society
  • Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory (The Murderbot Diaries, #4.5)
  • The Expanse Roleplaying Game
  • Eyes of the Void (The Final Architecture, #2)
  • A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk & Robot, #2)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)
  • The Magic of Terry Pratchett
  • Eversion
  • The Quick Fix: Why Fad Psychology Can't Cure Our Social Ills
  • Evershore (Skyward, #3.1)
  • The Jade Setter of Janloon (The Green Bone Saga, #0.5)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Ogres
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Shards of Earth (The Final Architecture, #1)
See top shelves…

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Leviathan Falls (The Expanse, #9)