Start by marking “James Joyce: Portrait of a Dubliner?A Graphic Biography” as Want to Read:
James Joyce: Portrait of a Dubliner?A Graphic Biography

James Joyce: Portrait of a Dubliner?A Graphic Biography

A dazzling, prize-winning graphic biography of one of the world's most revered writers.

Winner of Spain's National Comic Prize and published to acclaim in Ireland, here is an extraordinary graphic biography of James Joyce that offers a fresh take on his tumultuous life. With evocative anecdotes and hundreds of ink-wash drawings, Alfonso Zapico invites the reader to share Jo
Published May 3rd 2016 by Arcade (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about James Joyce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Joyce

David Schaafsma
This is a fanboy's introduction to Joyce based on his reading of Richard Ellman's definitive biography, which I highly recommend. To me Joyce is the greatest novelist in English, the pinnacle (and no, I haven't yet climbed Finnegan's Wake) (yet). So this is a kind of way into Joyce as you begin reading, I guess, but I was disappointed because anything about Joyce I will check out. The text is simple and more straightforward than a writer like Joyce deserves. But I haven't read it in the original ...more
David Lentz
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have devoured every major work that James Joyce ever wrote, including "Portrait", "Dubliners", "Finnegans Wake" and in the case of "Ulysses" have savored it half a dozen times. Joyce may well be the greatest novelist who ever wrote in the English language. Consequently, I have also consumed a bevy of books about his life as such an understanding informs an appreciation of the creative process and his overcoming the high hurdles of the track of his life. For example, I have read and reviewed on ...more
Auntie Terror
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Four point something stars, actually.
I liked the style of drawing, and it fit the general flow of Joyce's life which could almost be summed up as "the luck of the Irish". Only almost, though. It is an interesting biographical graphic novel and makes Joyce's life easily accessible, but being that, there is only so much credit the creators can be given for the "story", I think.
Julie Ehlers
This was disappointing. The art was nice, but the text was simplistic, often juvenile. If it weren't for the occasional nudity and constant talk of drinking and "whoring," this could be given to an 11-year-old with no fear they couldn't comprehend it. I also found the portrayal of Joyce's publication history extremely confusing and kept having to go back and reread parts--and I was already pretty familiar with Joyce's publication history, so I can't imagine how it would be for someone who's new ...more
Nafsika
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Στη βία υποκύπτει μόνο το σώμα μου, το πνεύμα μου, ποτέ!"
Εχοντας πρώτα διαβάσει το βιβλίο "Γράμματα στη Νόρα" κατανοώ και γνωρίζω τώρα σε μεγαλύτερο βαθμό τη ζωή του ΤΖΕΗΜΣ ΤΖΟΥΣ. Δε θα μπορούσα να βάλω λιγότερα αστέρια, διότι τον συμπαθώ ιδιαίτερα.
Η γραφή του ΑΛΦΟΝΣΟ ΘΑΠΙΚΟ μου φάνηκε απλοϊκή αλλά όχι βαρετή. Οι εικόνες που τη συνόδευαν συνέβαλλαν σε αυτό.
Georgina Koutrouditsou
Ίσως ο καλύτερος και κυρίως ο πιο ξεκούραστος τρόπος για να διαβάσεις την βιογραφία ενός σπουδαίου συγγραφέα!Ευχάριστο ανάγνωσμα,ωραία προσωπικότητα ο Τζόυς.
Pedro Alhinho
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma biografia bem escrita e desenhada que dá de Joyce uma visão depressiva e deprimente.
Sobram em detalhes de bebedeiras e dividas o que falta de aproximação à obra.
Katy
I received my copy free through Goodreads Giveaways
My daughter took this one to enjoy
Ismael Alonso
"Dublinés" de Zapico es una correcta pero en exceso lineal biografía de James Joyce. Su autor se conforma con acumular datos, fechas y anécdotas sobre el autor irlandés de forma que parece que estemos leyendo un trabajo escolar más que una biografía con cierto ánimo crítico o innovador. El libro, entretenido y bien ilustrado por lo demás, se limita a compilar en lugar de a crear. Me parece muy excesivo el Premio Nacional de Cómic que se le concedió.
Tabuyo
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ilustrada
Un libro editado como un cómic con unas ilustraciones preciosas en el que se narra la vida de James Joyce. Me ha gustado mucho pese a que Joyce no me ha caído nada bien. http://contandoteunlibro.blogspot.com...
Lauren
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Dublinés es la lectura conjunta del club de lectura de este mes y no defraudó. No suelo leer muchos cómics, aunque me gustan.

Dublinés podría resumirse como una biografía hecha cómic del escritor irlandés James Joyce. Ha sido una lectura distinta, entretenida y didáctica. Es verdad que es un libro que no se puede leer del tirón porque puede llegar a ser algo pesado y "aburrido". No es una novela, sino la biografía de un escritor con sus altibajos.

Recomiendo leerla por capítulos, algo que ayudará
Derek Royal
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this graphic biography on Joyce more than I thought I would. In many ways I feel at a loss, in that I wasn't well versed in Joyce's life story to begin with, only his writings. There's the Ellmann biography, which, from what I understand is a classic, but I haven't read this. But even though I have nothing to compare it to, I'll take Zapico on his domain and assume that he's as accurate as possible (and he even provides a list of references in the back of the book). A limitation of a c ...more
Kait
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-comics
The beginning is a little rough, as the author gives a family history of Joyce without much story narrative. I also found Joyce as a person to be very egotistical.

However, as a comic, this was great. It contains a whole lot of information that very rarely felt condensed. The art is grayscale ink wash, and the aritist did a wonderful job of distinguing people from one another. Since there were a ton of characters, many teamporary in Joyce's life, that's very impressive.

Even with the rejections an
Asun
A lovely, heartfelt, illustrative, humorous and overall beautiful comic biography of James Joyce. Though it may not be 100% faithful with certain details, it gives the reader an amazing retelling of his life.

P.S.: JAMES JOYCE WAS LITERALLY SUCH A BRAT THOUGH
Marina Alonso
Es una biografías muy completa, pero quizás demasiado completa para un cómic. Aún así una obra fantástica para conocer al dedillo a Joyce.
Ian Forsyth
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quotes:
He had to come to realize that a heretical lifestyle was more manageable, and lot more fun, than constant pangs of guilt.

Gluttony is English. Pride is French. Wrath is Spanish. Lust, contrary to appearances, is German. Sloth is Slav. The Italian sin is avarice. And of course, for the Irish, I've reserved envy. / And the Jews? What is the sin of the Jews, Joyce? / The Jews? They have none, unless it's the one that is always pinned on them: the deadliest of all. You know, crucifying Jesus..
Ije the Devourer of Books
I thought this was a brilliant depiction of the biography of the author James Joyce. The art was good and the story was not overwhelmed by text. It is a good introduction to the life of James. Joyce and to his writing. I haven't read anything by James Joyce but now I am intrigued enough to do so.
Liz Yerby
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is clearly very well researched. I found it more telling than showing, but still it kept my interest. While the drawings were very detailed and charming I felt the reading of the book wasn't as intuitive as I would've liked.
Vera
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very nice biography of James Joyce in the form of a graphic novel. The author tells about the life of the Irish writer in beautiful images and with much humor. I am still anxious of reading Ulysses, but I'm even more curious now, as well :)
Jan
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent biography. Balanced and critical and utilizing the opportunities of the graphic novel to the fullest. Should nearly be required reading for anyone taking on Joyce's works.
Alex
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european-comics
Πολύ αμφίρροπο αυτό το κόμικ, μία κρύο μία ζέστη. Αυτή τη φορά, σε αντίθεση με το "Ολυμπία ντε Γκουζ" είχα προετοιμαστεί κατάλληλα για βιογραφικό κόμικ και είχα διαβάσει το κατιτίς μου από πριν. Λέω κατιτίς γιατί με τον Τζόϋς μόνο λίγο μπορεί να είναι, με βάση το πόσα έργα έχει και κυρίως τι έχει γράψει. Μόνο να ξύσεις την επιφάνεια μπορείς.

Ο ίδιος έλεγε πως "ό,τι γράφω, το γράφω για να κάνω τον κόσμο να γελά" και αυτό βγαίνει και στο κόμικ. Παρόλο την τραγικότητα του, την λυπηρή και ταραχώδη ζ
Mari
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book, because I like James Joyce's Dubliners and I wanted to learn more about this author.
The design is really nice and the story is entertaining and really interesting.
I'm just not sure if everything is "real", because the facts are presented in a different way in Joyce's Museum in Sandycove and in Dublin... (i.e. the fact that Gogarty shot above Joyce's bed in Sandycove because he didn't appreciate to be called a snob in one of Joyce's poems wasn't mentioned, it was just said that
Helena
I enjoyed reading this as a light introduction to James Joyce’s life and it has made me more interested to read Ellman’s biography on Joyce. I’m not sure if the graphical novel format is the best one to capture such a complex life as Joyce’s seem to have been. For example there are so many different people that are mentioned that Joyce meets and I assume they played some part in his life, but sometimes a box mentions maybe 5-10 people and occasionally it feels more like name dropping than contri ...more
Sasha Boersma
Visuals were stunning and interesting. But the written part was over simplified and had terrible spelling and grammar (fault of the translator and English publisher, not the original author). Was it an attempt at a literal translation but failed because Spanish is more expressive of a language? Or just sloppy? Why was there no copy editor?

It took away from a potentially interesting presentation of Joyce's biography. I wish I could read Spanish so I could have the opportunity to review the origi
Jota Houses
Un libro ilustrado, me niego a llamar comic a lo que como mucho se podría clasificar como romance de ciego -escenas ilustradas con un texto al pie- que nos introduce muy dignamente a la biografía de Joyce. Lo mejor, el dibujo de Zapico, con un estilo vivo y un domino absoluto del blanco y negro. Una ilustración cinematográfica en su composición con una pasión milimétrica por la arquitectura y el ambiente, que se disfruta a cada momento. Lo peor, la falta de guión y de profundidad dramática que l ...more
Matias
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Me encanta esta idea de moda que es novelizar gráficamente las biografías. Es una manera muy amena de instruirse acerca de las trayectorias de personajes fascinantes, biografías a los que de otra forma da a veces cierta pereza aproximarse. Claro que tampoco se puede esperar el colmo del rigor o la profundización exhaustiva, así que este tipo de biografías pueden ser una iniciación antes de explorar las investigaciones más tradicionales.
Kate
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Очень трогательная история жизни гениального писателя. Множество перипетий, перепитий (в смысле алкогольных), болезнь и запреты на публикации книг. Незамысловато, комикса как такового нет - картинки просто иллюстрации, просто к маленьким кусочкам текста. Но в конце сердце просто сжимается и от прочитанного остаётся очень приятное чувство на душе. Сложно оценить вклад Запико в историю Джойса, так что оставим это.
Lisa Macklem
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated book and quite text heavy. It is quite anecdotal, so while extremely amusing, interesting and fun to read, I'm not sure how historically detailed it is. It also reads like a who's who of the literati of the times - which of course, it should. Even if you are not a fan of Joyce's work, if you are a fan of the time period, well worth the read.
Melissa Forehand
James Joyce

Interesting to see how Joyce’s life intercepted with history and other historical figures. But not much character development. He was kind of an ass. And it seemed his only life long attachments seemed to be with Nora and his children.
Barbara V. Vaughan
Clever Biography

The language in its book is very concise. World history and the itinerant life of James Joyce are enhanced by Zapico's line drawings and comic book drawings.
This is an honest look at the topsy turvy life of a literary genius.
  • Memorias de un hombre en pijama
  • The Murder of Abraham Lincoln
  • Like a Sniper Lining Up His Shot
  • Dieu, le sexe et les bretelles (Titeuf, #1)
  • Coquelicots d'Irak
  • The Story of My Tits
  • ALPHA…Directions
  • El Eternauta II (El Eternauta, #2)
  • Bumf Vol. 1: I Buggered The Kaiser
  • Saints: The Book of Blaise
  • Adventures of a Japanese Business Man
  • Athos in America
  • The Secrets Come Out (Aya, #3)
  • Apollo's Song, Part One
  • A Family Matter
  • The Bug Boy
  • Congress of the Animals
  • Animal'z
Nacido en Blimea, un pueblo de los Valles Mineros asturianos, Alfonso Zapico es diplomado en Ilustración y Diseño por la Escuela de Arte de Oviedo. Como freelance realiza trabajos gráficos de carácter infantil/juvenil para editoriales nacionales y regionales (libros de texto, dibujos animados, páginas web, ilustraciones…), y ejerce de ilustrador en un proyecto de la Consejería de Educación del Pri ...more