Start by marking “Do You Talk Funny?: 7 Comedy Habits to Become a Better (and Funnier) Public Speaker” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Public speaking can be terrifying. For David Nihill, the idea of standing in front of an audience was scarier than cliff jumping into a thorny pit of spiders and mothers-in-law. Without a parachute or advanced weaponry. Something had to change.

In what doesn't sound like the best plan ever, David decided to overcome his fears by pretending to be an accomplished comedian ca
Published March 8th 2016 by BenBella Books (first published January 11th 2015)

Start your review of Do You Talk Funny?: 7 Comedy Habits to Become a Better (and Funnier) Public Speaker
Amy
Lots of useful, funny tips for public speaking.

The book strongly relies on TedTalks and occasionally feels like a developed research paper, but overall worth it. I definitely want to come back to this one.
Anastasia
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
An entertaining guide to public speaking.
Ron Hogue
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a trainer who has taught others how to present, I thought this book would offer very little for me to learn. To say I was hugely mistaken, is no exaggeration.
David magically weaves business, humor, tragedy, and action into this brilliant read. He draws from marketing masters like Seth Godin and Gary Vaynerchuk, comedy masters like Jerry Seinfeld and Matt Groening, and literary masters like Mark Twain and William Shakespeare to show you how to deliver your message - regardless of the topic.
Of
Kent White
useful and intelligent

I'm feeling funnier, telling better stories, and some third thing. David Nahil gives a great primer on how to get to the funny and improve public speaking. I'm already using lots of his tips.
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
"A guy joins a monastery and takes a vow of silence. He's allowed to say two words every seven years. After the first seven years, the elders bring him in and ask for his two words. He says, "Cold floors." They nod and send him away. Seven more years pass. They bring him back in and ask him for his two words. He clears His throat. "Bad food," he says. They nod and send him away. Seven more years pass. They bring him in for his two words. He goes, "I quit." One of the elders looks at him and says ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First let me say I am sooo not the intended audience for this book. However, I thought it was just wonderful. The book is written for anyone who needs help with public speaking though Nihil does make frequent reference to the business presentation. He started off as your normal scared-to-death public speaker who went on a journey and ended up becoming an award-winning speaker and storyteller. The evening of the day I finished this book, I actually went to a teaching lecture and the professor was ...more
Frederic Kerr
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book covers a lot of ground at limited depth. Author Nihill sounds like a lively speaker. He doesn't really do justice to presentation skills in much detail. His suggestion that humour could galvanize a lot of moribund business presentations is very welcome, but he's not totally credible with some of his comedy references.

For example, he talks about pro comedians generating 12 to 20 laughs per minute, which is wildly high. That's a laugh every 3 to five seconds, which is impossible to sust
Fernando Suarezserna
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read a few books on public speaking, and this one's the best, by far. David Nihill is full of great stories and practical advice. Reading this one alone would be enough to get to stage, either to do comedy or public speaking.
Srikantadatta Tagadur
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Being a Toastmaster and a public speaking enthusiast myself, I can personally vouch for all the tips given by the author to be authentic and genuine. The author David Nihill has done a fabulous job in chronicling his journey of overcoming his fear of public speaking. Throughout the book the author gives valuable tips and also actionable items to put them in practice.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking to overcome their fear of public speaking and aiming to be the funnier person
John
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, business
Not a bad book by any means, but I expected more. There are a couple truly useful chapters, but most of the information here feels like common sense (i.e. People enjoy humor! Eliminate unnecessary words! Be relatable!). The book tackles theories behind proper story-telling, joke-writing, and presentation methods, but it isn't a very deep dive, and author David Nihill spends as much time distilling other authors' ideas as coming up with his own. The book is intended to help people infuse more com ...more
Kim
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
David Nihill went on a wild ride to become a good public speaker, to perform and make people laugh. DYTF shares his excellent story. The real gem of the book is the delivery of lessons learned in the form of a simple and clear map for us to follow to do the same.

DYTF shares exercises that can be taken step by step to craft a speech that incorporates laughter. Humor makes it easier for an audience to follow along, enjoy what you are sharing, and absorb it. He shows us how to identify and evaluate
Julie H.
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
You may not know this, but I'm a recovering college professor, am now a federally-employed archaeologist, and I won a copy of this book as a Firstreads giveaway. While the third fact has in no way influenced the content of this review, the first two have definitely informed why I was initially drawn to this book and what I ultimately found most valuable within its pages.

Terrified of public speaking but required by circumstance to host a fundraising event for a friend who had suffered a spinal c
Jurgen Appelo
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-speaking
Great collection of tips for public speakers.
Dennis
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very actionable, great tips. I was able to apply lots of what I've read to a new talk I'm presenting. And I think it quickly became the best talk I ever delivered!
David
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book breaks the wall that I often hit with other business books. The knowledge here is actionable!

If you follow the worksheets as you read you will walk away with better stories, funnier intros and a better sense of how to speak in public. A solid understanding of the basics leads into practical and useful tips that can be used right after reading.

You can tell that David has really struggled with this subject and has discovered a deep insight in the techniques of stand ups. True to his ow
Silent P
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book for public speaking. He does an excellent job of walking through the preparation necessary to become a better public speaker while not sugar coating the hard work that goes into the effort. I constantly reference this book while coaching others and when I am preparing to speak.
I cannot recommend this book enough.
Chad
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun listen with great tips to being a better, funnier speaker
Liang Gang Yu
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book on a difficult topic - being funny in business conversations. It is entertaining and practical, suites my appetite very well.
Nikhil
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short book but full of useful and immediately-applicable methods, tips, and exercises to improve one's presentation skills. This book is staying in my personal reference library.
Demetrius Rogers
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homiletics
Now here's a great book that teaches its reader the value of humor in creating connection. I don't often think about what goes into being funny, but, after reading this, I'm inspired to do more. I'm kind of surprised, and even encouraged, that it requires professional comedians lots of effort to look so natural in the moment. Both an encouraging and equipping read for those who care to connect more deeply with their audiences. And I really appreciated the author's down to earth and friendly styl ...more
Lorilin
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
As a stay-at-home mom and writer, I am definitely not the target audience for Do You Talk Funny. But I still somehow, amazingly, found this book to be relevant to my life, and I ended up really enjoying it. I think a big part of the book's appeal is that it is written with the novice in mind. I am pretty much terrified of public speaking, as Nihill was, so I could easily identify with his situation. Moreover, I absolutely appreciated his willingness to put himself out there so he could overcome ...more
Jeff Mcmahon
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Modern-Day Storytelling Is Joke Telling”

The premise of David Nihill’s Do You Talk Funny? is that while we all can’t be professional comedians we can, and should, utilize the comedians’ techniques for public speaking in order that we make more powerful connections with our audience. Whether you work in business, the arts, or education, Nihill’s comedy primer is designed for you.

Nihill correctly points out that the secret to comedy is not the one-liner or the punch line, but the personal story or
Jean-Paul Popoff
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a member of a local Toastmasters club, completed my CC and working on a double DTM (if you're into TM, then you know what I mean). I was raised on PBS, British comedies, and have a highly idiosyncratic sense of humour - meaning that, generally, only long-time friends and family members get my humour. I'm fairly adept at academic, inspirational and informational speaking, but felt that I could use some humour training. I found Mr. Nihill's blog very helpful. That's how I ended up getting to r ...more
Drew Flynn
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
If your thinking about getting into standup, this is the book for you. The book literally outlines at the end 80 steps to practice and use to be great at it. While I'm not looking to head in that direction (yet), the advice greatly spills over into the art of public speaking.

The bottom line of this book is that if you want to be engaging as a speaker, you have to be funny. And the cool secret is that anyone, even those with absolutely no experience, can give a very funny talk.
Christopher Kokoski
Short Practical Tricks To Make You Funny

Pros:

- Good solid advice from an obvious expert on public speaking.
- Practical tips from joke structure, storytelling and how to continuously improve your funny
- Just as importantly, what to avoid that can kill your funny and speech

Cons

- Short (although to some this might be a pro)
- This book seems aimed at the novice presenter or comedian. Someone more experienced would likely know most of these points.

Since this book is for presenters who want to a
Allan C Lane
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If your worst nightmare is standing on a stage naked giving a speech, this book will put you in your underwear. In fact, this book is a little bit like a reverse striptease. Each time you read a chapter and put the exercises into practice, you'll get to add another piece of clothing to your nightmare, making it a little less scary. By the end of the book, you will have your audience laughing with you, not at you.

David Nihill understands where you're coming from, because he's been naked, too. Do
Nick
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! This is an awesome read and a must for everyone trying to level up their presentations (it will even help for conversations)! I've studied the art of presenting for years and have a large library on the subject. This book is unique. It is a long-awaited, how-to on a powerful component to a great presentation: how to to be funny. Most people hate presenting; I myself have had horrible fear of it, but got over it. The one thing that helped me was when I happened to make people laugh. Eve ...more
Gaurav N
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A very practical guide to becoming a humorous speaker. I specifically loved the recommendation to keep the joke book by observing the events during the day. Funny incidents happen around us all the time if you see them from a humor lens.
Luz
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a phenomenal read! Not only is it well written, packed with TONS of great information, but it's also really funny! One day I was listening to the audiobook while flying back from a business trip and I kept cracking up to the point that the person sitting next to me had to ask what I was reading. I love the information that David provides in the book- not only are they great insights, but it's also easily implementable. I recall taking notes like a mad-woman as I was reading (well...list ...more
April
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pure gold! THE book and bible in my library for public speaking. Period.
What a fantastic read, chock full of instantly usable information and techniques; and not just for comedy. This is the only book you'll need to help you succeed in front of a room. The best part is David's easy going style; he's a pure pleasure to read. Reading this book is like hanging out with a good friend who wants to tell you his every last tip and secret to make sure you shine, shine, shine like the bright star you are
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
  • The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia
  • How to Write Funny: Your Serious, Step-By-Step Blueprint For Creating Incredibly, Irresistibly, Successfully Hilarious Writing
  • How to Talk Dirty and Influence People
  • Mastering Stand-Up: The Complete Guide to Becoming a Successful Comedian
  • Digital Transformation Playbook: Rethink Your Business for the Digital Age
  • Rich Dad's Prophecy: Why the Biggest Stock Market Crash in History Is Still Coming...and How You Can Prepare Yourself and Profit from It!
  • Impact Pricing: Your Blueprint for Driving Profits
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • The Messengers
  • Writing Great Fiction: Storytelling Tips and Techniques
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • Adiyogi: The Source of Yoga
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Scientific Secrets for Self-Control
Born in Dublin, Ireland, David is the Founder of FunnyBizz, a community, writer platform, and conference series, where business meets humor to abolish boring content. His work has been featured in Inc., Lifehacker, The Huffington Post, NPR, The Irish Times, Fast Company and Forbes. A graduate of the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School he wears a tie, but only to bungee jump.

News & Interviews

“Think back through your experiences and make a bullet point list of funny stories that have happened to you or your friends. Travel, school, college, parties, work, interaction with parents/in-laws, embarrassing situations, etc. Looking at old photos will help to jog memories.” 3 likes
“The end of laughter is followed by the height of listening.” — Jeffrey Gitomer” 2 likes