Start by marking “A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods” as Want to Read:
A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods

A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods

A Maine Literary Awards Finalist, A Good Man with a Dog follows a game warden’s adventures from the woods of Maine to the swamps of New Orleans. Follow along as he and his canine companions investigate murder, search for missing persons, and rescue survivors from natural disasters. This is a memoir that reads like a true crime novel.

Roger Guay takes readers into the patie
Published April 19th 2016 by Skyhorse (first published April 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Man with a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Man with a Dog

Start your review of A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods
JoAnn Plante
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn more about becoming a warden
I loved this book. It was based on the real life adventures of a Maine warden. More importantly, the warden told stories that not only contained the facts, but he added an emotional element to his stories. As you read this book, you can feel the pain, anxiety, frustration, and sadness of the warden as he tried desperately to save someone or apprehend them. It is an eye-opener, because television only shows one side of the warden's job. There is so much more to it. The physical and emotional toll ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please read, very heartfelt and meaningful

I am a very proud of what people do to help absolute strangers that they have never met. I have always wanted to be a game warden. My mom got me this book so that I would actually start to read for once. It is a very faithfully, and factual book. I shows where in the darkest time of your lives, you can't always do it by your self.- hope this was helpful it was a very humorous, and sadly realistic book about the things that can happen to you, and how to a
Frode
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger Guay was a game warden in Maine for 25 years. He was encouraged to write a book because he had so many stories to tell. Along with the help of another writer, Kate Flora, he put together a series of those stories into a book about his life as a warden, A Good Man with a Dog. It is a very personal book since he is telling about situations in which he was personally involved. He doesn’t just retell the incident; he adds in his thoughts and feelings about it, both at the time and in reflecti ...more
Neal Marcus
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much.
The author described his life experiences growing up with all the natural beauty of Maine,(rom his perspective. .Having gone through the tragedy of his father’s death (while on a fishing trip)and receiving some comforting from a Maine Game Warden(whom he felt were the police of the fish and wildlife of Maine.
He then decides that HE WANT’s to become a Maine Game Warden.According to the author,EVERY Man in Maine carries a handgun and/or a rifle.
After completing his tr
Mary Vogelsong
I'm not sure how long the TV show North Woods Law has been around, but this book, published in 2016, could have been the genesis for the show. Retired Maine Game Warden, Roger Guay, writes of his experience catching game law violaters, making rescues, and finding the lost and dead with his K9. The Maine weather and terrain are some of the harshest in the lower 48, and Guay worked rescue and recovery of victims of falls, hypothermia, loss of direction, and foul play.
Guay goes a step farther than
Barbara
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book. Great storyteller. Moves from one interesting story to another of game enforcement and life and death rescues. I can really appreciate the life of a game warden and all the dedication that it takes...and the tolls it takes on one's life as well. Living in Maine and having a son who has hunted in the Greenville/Moosehead Lake area, I especially related to the stories. I recommend this for anyone who may be curious about the job of a game warden or just wants some great true stori ...more
Heather Yoell
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye-opening and true

A fascinating look into the work and life of a game warden, with anecdotes ranging from funny to heart-wrenching as he covers his roles of poaching prevention, search and rescue, and recovery of remains. Maine, with its rugged landscape and its deep-rooted culture, figures prominently, with a side trip to New Orleans post-Katrina. The tone is colloquial - you feel like you’re sitting in his living room as he spins tales - but there’s a depth of wisdom that goes far beyond th
Jennifer Morefield
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DH and I read this book together and loved it. Maine is an interesting place because of its amazing fishing and abundant wildlife. Loved the stories. Enjoyed his stories about his service dogs and how he used them to facilitate his work as a game warden. Game wardens have a tough job and do a good work. If you loved the outdoors, you'll love this one. It made us want to go to Maine to see the amazing wildlife that it holds. A great read! ...more
Becky
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting and educational read about the life of a Maine game warden. The writing is sometimes a bit repetitive but I think it captures the Maine storytelling personality well. I also appreciated that the author was honest about his PTSD. It made me believe all of the other stories as well, not that I had any doubts about their authenticity. I also think I enjoyed it more because I went to school in Maine and have first hand knowledge of some of the locations he talked about.
Cinda
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t stop reading

I had no clue to the dangerous lives game wardens experienced and the importance of being in excellent physical shape. Searching for lost individuals, dead or alive, and having to assist or carry them out of the forests or from ravines they had fallen into in all kinds of weather garnered from me the most respect and admiration. Greatest respect for their dogs and their training. Can’t say enough good things about this book.
Carla
Mar 30, 2020 added it
This was a simply written memoir of a Maine game warden. It was quite a surprise. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that game wardens just flash bright lights at drunks out on boats and reprimand vacationers for fishing/hunting without a license. Nope - this was a very interesting and sometimes intense series of anecdotes over a period of 25 years documenting the scope and depth of the work they do to try to protect the beautiful natural resources in Maine. Well worth reading!
Vida
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything You Want to Know About Game Wardens!

What a wonderful book. Inspiring and sad at the same time. Should be on the mandatory reading list for scouts, military, and anyone who wants to spend time in the great outdoors. Would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't had a required interruption.
Susan
Interesting stories, but I found it didn't keep me up all night reading. I could put it down. Guay did have a collaborator who is credited on the book cover, but it is a memoir of Guay's 25 years as a game warden in Maine. I had no idea how varied the duties of game wardens are, nor do I know if it is the same in other states. It's interesting reading if not compelling. ...more
Linda Marciniszyn
Absorbing read

I'm from Maine, greatly respect the service of the Maine wardens and I've read a number of books by Maine wardens but I found this one the most compelling. It reads like Warden Guay is sitting across a campfire from you, sharing stories of his 25 yr career. Highly readable, highly recommend if you want to understand what it's really like to be a warden.
Crystal Toller
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Game Warden

This book details Roger Guays years as a Maine Game Warden. The book talks about the early years, the years of snowmobiles and ATVs and the years he spent as a K9 handler. This was a great read. I highly recommend this book.
Beth
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational

Story of a good man doing his best to make his part of the world a better place. He also admits his difficulty with PTSD after years of stressful situations including extremely difficult conditions searching for cadavers after Katrina.
Carolyn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
What a great read--absolutely riveting! This book was very educational and informative while also providing entertainment - - I didn't want to put it down. Game wardens are unsung heroes. This will appeal to a wide variety of readers, highly recommended. ...more
John Flaniken
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotes from a Maine Game Warden

This is a memoir told through anecdotes of a game warden who loved his job as a game warden. It may not be high literature, but it is very interesting and informative.
CAROLYN
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The life of a Maine Game Warden

A history of such a variety of challenges for a game warden. Tales of lost children , stories of fishermen and hunters breaking the law and tales of discovery of murdered victim. An assembly of many of the tasks for a Maine game warden.
Dean Turcotte
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved all the stories that Roger told and never imagined a game warden doing all the things that they do as part of their job.
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
Great stories, but seems unedited -- as if it's transcripts of an interview. ...more
Jean Bailey
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book! I have a new appreciation of our game wardens and their dog! Very informative!
Gary
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read.

The book keeps you engaged from page 1. It gives you a great insight into the life and job of a game warden. Highly recommend!!
Sheryl Tennent
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Many familiar areas and headlines, great storytelling. I could not put it down.
Alex Fox
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book of a Maine game warden and tells his adventures of his life and his experiences as a warden.
Sherrie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting stories from a Maine game warden.
Deborah
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this but my download expired and I never finished it.
Amy
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Linda Wismer
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Enjoyable, informative, and entertaining. Good read, with many interesting stories. I could have read more. A sequel would be great.
Suzi
Mar 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and informative. Katrina chapter the saddest.

• The Rural Diaries: Love, Livestock, and Big Life Lessons Down on Mischief Farm
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival
  • A View to Die For (To Die For series, #1)
  • Max the Miracle Dog: The Heart-warming Tale of a Life-saving Friendship
  • The River Wild
  • The Twenty-Ninth Day
  • The Woman in the Moonlight
  • If I Live Until Morning: A True Story of Adventure, Tragedy and Transformation
  • Craig & Fred: A Marine, A Stray Dog, and How They Rescued Each Other
  • Butcher, Baker: A True Account of a Serial Murder
  • Arms Wide Open: A Midwife's Journey
  • If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)
  • Come Fly the World: The Jet-Age Story of the Women of Pan Am
  • The One Thing You'd Save
  • Seven Kinds of People You Find in Bookshops
  • Panic Attack
  • A Place Called Fear (Maggie Novak Thriller #2)
  • What Hurts the Most (Mary Mills Mystery Book 1)