Start by marking “A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods” as Want to Read:
A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods

A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods

A Maine Literary Awards Finalist, A Good Man with a Dog follows a game warden’s adventures from the woods of Maine to the swamps of New Orleans. Follow along as he and his canine companions investigate murder, search for missing persons, and rescue survivors from natural disasters. This is a memoir that reads like a true crime novel.

Roger Guay takes readers into the patie
Published April 19th 2016 by Skyhorse (first published April 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Man with a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Man with a Dog

Start your review of A Good Man with a Dog: A Game Warden's 25 Years in the Maine Woods
JoAnn Plante
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn more about becoming a warden
I loved this book. It was based on the real life adventures of a Maine warden. More importantly, the warden told stories that not only contained the facts, but he added an emotional element to his stories. As you read this book, you can feel the pain, anxiety, frustration, and sadness of the warden as he tried desperately to save someone or apprehend them. It is an eye-opener, because television only shows one side of the warden's job. There is so much more to it. The physical and emotional toll ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please read, very heartfelt and meaningful

I am a very proud of what people do to help absolute strangers that they have never met. I have always wanted to be a game warden. My mom got me this book so that I would actually start to read for once. It is a very faithfully, and factual book. I shows where in the darkest time of your lives, you can't always do it by your self.- hope this was helpful it was a very humorous, and sadly realistic book about the things that can happen to you, and how to a
Barbara
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book. Great storyteller. Moves from one interesting story to another of game enforcement and life and death rescues. I can really appreciate the life of a game warden and all the dedication that it takes...and the tolls it takes on one's life as well. Living in Maine and having a son who has hunted in the Greenville/Moosehead Lake area, I especially related to the stories. I recommend this for anyone who may be curious about the job of a game warden or just wants some great true stori ...more
Becky
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting and educational read about the life of a Maine game warden. The writing is sometimes a bit repetitive but I think it captures the Maine storytelling personality well. I also appreciated that the author was honest about his PTSD. It made me believe all of the other stories as well, not that I had any doubts about their authenticity. I also think I enjoyed it more because I went to school in Maine and have first hand knowledge of some of the locations he talked about.
Carla
Mar 30, 2020 added it
This was a simply written memoir of a Maine game warden. It was quite a surprise. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that game wardens just flash bright lights at drunks out on boats and reprimand vacationers for fishing/hunting without a license. Nope - this was a very interesting and sometimes intense series of anecdotes over a period of 25 years documenting the scope and depth of the work they do to try to protect the beautiful natural resources in Maine. Well worth reading!
Cinda
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t stop reading

I had no clue to the dangerous lives game wardens experienced and the importance of being in excellent physical shape. Searching for lost individuals, dead or alive, and having to assist or carry them out of the forests or from ravines they had fallen into in all kinds of weather garnered from me the most respect and admiration. Greatest respect for their dogs and their training. Can’t say enough good things about this book.
Jennifer Morefield
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DH and I read this book together and loved it. Maine is an interesting place because of its amazing fishing and abundant wildlife. Loved the stories. Enjoyed his stories about his service dogs and how he used them to facilitate his work as a game warden. Game wardens have a tough job and do a good work. If you loved the outdoors, you'll love this one. It made us want to go to Maine to see the amazing wildlife that it holds. A great read!
Susan
Interesting stories, but I found it didn't keep me up all night reading. I could put it down. Guay did have a collaborator who is credited on the book cover, but it is a memoir of Guay's 25 years as a game warden in Maine. I had no idea how varied the duties of game wardens are, nor do I know if it is the same in other states. It's interesting reading if not compelling.
Linda Marciniszyn
Absorbing read

I'm from Maine, greatly respect the service of the Maine wardens and I've read a number of books by Maine wardens but I found this one the most compelling. It reads like Warden Guay is sitting across a campfire from you, sharing stories of his 25 yr career. Highly readable, highly recommend if you want to understand what it's really like to be a warden.
Vida
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything You Want to Know About Game Wardens!

What a wonderful book. Inspiring and sad at the same time. Should be on the mandatory reading list for scouts, military, and anyone who wants to spend time in the great outdoors. Would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't had a required interruption.
John Flaniken
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotes from a Maine Game Warden

This is a memoir told through anecdotes of a game warden who loved his job as a game warden. It may not be high literature, but it is very interesting and informative.
Beth
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational

Story of a good man doing his best to make his part of the world a better place. He also admits his difficulty with PTSD after years of stressful situations including extremely difficult conditions searching for cadavers after Katrina.
Carolyn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
What a great read--absolutely riveting! This book was very educational and informative while also providing entertainment - - I didn't want to put it down. Game wardens are unsung heroes. This will appeal to a wide variety of readers, highly recommended.
Crystal Toller
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Game Warden

This book details Roger Guays years as a Maine Game Warden. The book talks about the early years, the years of snowmobiles and ATVs and the years he spent as a K9 handler. This was a great read. I highly recommend this book.
Jean Bailey
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book! I have a new appreciation of our game wardens and their dog! Very informative!
Alex Fox
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book of a Maine game warden and tells his adventures of his life and his experiences as a warden.
Sherrie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting stories from a Maine game warden.
Deborah
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this but my download expired and I never finished it.
Dean Turcotte
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved all the stories that Roger told and never imagined a game warden doing all the things that they do as part of their job.
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Great stories, but seems unedited -- as if it's transcripts of an interview.
Sheryl Tennent
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Many familiar areas and headlines, great storytelling. I could not put it down.
Gary
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read.

The book keeps you engaged from page 1. It gives you a great insight into the life and job of a game warden. Highly recommend!!
Joani
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
John Clark
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Roger Guay's recollections of events, both humorous and serious will pull readers into the world of a Maine game warden in ways other memoirs can't. His careful retelling of events like his time in New Orleans, as well as in 'Buried Babies in Baxter Park' will stay with readers for a long time. His willingness to share the personal and emotional toll certain events take on members of the warden service make this a stand out book. Definitely worth adding to ANY library as well as making a good gi ...more
Nathan Robert
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and fast read. I particularly love the language, as it seems like you can hear him telling you this story. This book satisfies those who like adventure, mysteries, and the human-dog bond, while giving you an understanding and appreciation of game wardens.
J. Guay
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I might be biased since I'm related to the author, but this really is a great book. There's a great mix of humor, gravity and inspiration in each chapter. Anyone who loves the outdoors, Maine, or law enforcement will love this book.
Bruce Coffin
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Humorous, sad, terrifying, and fascinating. Written by Roger Guay and Kate Clark Flora, this book is an honest and deeply personal portrayal of Roger's life as a Maine game warden. Highly recommend!
Linda
Dec 10, 2017
Stephen Langridge
Apr 30, 2018
Richard J.
Sep 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Rural Diaries: What Moving to Mischief Farm Taught Me About What Really Matters in Life, Love, and Making Dandelion Wine
  • Joy Unleashed: The Story of Bella, the Unlikely Therapy Dog
  • The Sandcastle Girls
  • Breakdown (Alex Delaware, #31)
  • The Voiceless
  • I'll Take You There
  • Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse
  • Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions
  • Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn #1)
  • Vengeance (The Debt Collector, #2)
  • Panic Attack
  • What Hurts the Most (7th Street Crew #1)
  • A Place Called Fear (Maggie Novak Thriller #2)
  • The Other Child (Maggie Novak, #3)
  • Crossing Over Easy (Eastwind Witches #1)
  • An Ace and A Pair (Dead Cold Mystery #1)
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found