Start by marking “The Here-and-Now Habit: How Mindfulness Can Help You Break Unhealthy Habits Once and for All” as Want to Read:

Bad habits can take a hefty toll on your health and happiness. In The Here-and-Now Habit, mindfulness expert Hugh Byrne provides powerful practices based in mindfulness and neuroscience to help you rewire your brain and finally break the habits that are holding you back from a meaningful life.

Have you found yourself doing something and thinking, Why do I keep doing this? W
Published March 1st 2016 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Here-and-Now Habit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Here-and-Now Habit

Start your review of The Here-and-Now Habit: How Mindfulness Can Help You Break Unhealthy Habits Once and for All
Swaroop
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a good book, was a delight to read. Practical and Simple guide to be HERE and NOW. A must have and to be included in the re-read list.
MaterialAmbition
this book + MBSR sessions + therapy = healing, hope, and a path through the darkness💚
Sheryl
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: truth-be-told, 2016
I want to know more about mindfulness. This book provides a good introduction. Although, I somehow felt that most practices are redundant. I'm not sure if it just seems that way due to my ignorance as I have yet to try the actual meditations. What stuck with me and what I found valuable that was highlighted in this book was the importance of always bringing yourself back to your core intention and purpose and in so doing be able to make your actions aligned to it. Being in the moment and focusin ...more
Jessica
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The chapters seemed a little repetitive, but that’s also part of the path to retraining your mind and developing mindful habits. I especially found one of the earlier exercises to be particularly helpful, where you ask yourself questions about how your habits affect you or others; how they make you feel before, during, and after; what the underlying feeling or cause is that makes you want to do this habit; etc. Really helped me rationalize and find my motivation for changing my habits. The book’ ...more
Luis A.
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Here And Now Habit is not just another book on dealing with unwanted habits, whatever they may be. This book clearly explains how mindfulness works and how it can be used to end unwanted habits. It also mentions scientific studies of changes in the brain resulting from mindfulness. See page 35, where Hugh talks about how mindfulness changes the brain neuroplasticity; and page 40, where he talks about mindfulness and smoke cessation. Who would have thought that mindfulness, the simple and yet ...more
Carly Rietschel
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. Dr. Byrne writes with an incredibly authentic voice and speaks very directly about habits that have become very common and that harm us, including over-use of the internet, over-eating, and anxious worrying. I'm very inspired by this book and Dr. Byrne has given us a true gift. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking to work with habits that are no longer serving them. Dr. Byrne writes with a very compassionate voice, and the book is also very straightforward an ...more
SerialReader
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Is it me or the Self-Help Section in my bookstore is growing bigger and bigger?
Discover how to let go of what holds you back, create new healthy habits and start living your life Here and Now.

Read more on The Serial Reader Blog.
Mary Piekarski
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT BOOK

This book was a God send to me... I will refer to it over and over until I reach my goal of habitual mindfulness! I'm so grateful for this amazing book on changing habits...
Karen
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audiobook, narrated by a vibrant American-accented man and suitable for x1.75 speed, though I took it slower.

I liked the flow of the book and how lots of concepts were touched on and dabbled with, in a way that perfectly complemented my commute. It’s not rocket science but you will uncover a few truths you’ve been hiding within yourself, if you let yourself open up to it.

There are lots of guided meditation practices that are discussed in detail, so no more excuses! Sometimes you
Steph
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for readers who want meditation examples and guided instructions on the art of mindfulness.

Byrne takes the process of mindfully changing habits from a broad look to closer perspectives on changing habits, looking for the good around us, and making a positive impact in our relationships. Each chapter includes lists of scientifically proven benefits of mindfulness and specific meditations related to the theme of the chapter.

While I enjoyed the beginning of the book a lot, as each chap
Peyton Stafford
Byrne is a meditation teacher and social activist with a law degree and a PhD. He lays out a simple approach to developing mindfulness (awareness of what one is thinking, feeling, and doing in real time) in order to deal with and break habits you don't want. He goes beyond conventional advice to watch for triggering events (which often overtake one without one's being aware of them until it's too late) and shows how to develop the mindfulness necessary to pause when triggered and then use the SO ...more
Ally
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I remember enjoying reading this book, however, it was very similar to the recipes for improvement presented in most other mindfulness books- the only idea presented here that really stuck with me is that it's okay to be 'lazy' and to do 'nothing' sometimes. I think this is a good message to send out to the world as many people are obsessed with productivity and identify strongly with their output. This book might be helpful for people like this who haven't read many books related to mindfulness ...more
Diego
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to mindfulness. It contains practices at the end of each chapter to make it easier for the reader on how to apply the topic of the chapter into a meditation. It shows an approach on how to stop worrying of the past or future. Just remember to breathe and take in the experience now.
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
I listened to the audio book. It has some great information on habits and tips on how to break bad habits. My biggest takeaway was that practicing meditation can be a great resource for reducing stress, improving mindfulness, and improving your habits.
Zoltan Orban
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best Practical Book on Meditation

I read many books on meditation and mindfulness, but this is by far the best practical book out there. I highly recommend it to both beginners and advanced meditators. May this book deepen your knowledge and wisdom!
Kathy Heare Watts
A way to break unhealthy habits and gain control.

I won a copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it to my local library.
Nancy Currie
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas for mindfulness practices in this book. It was well-written and clear. I enjoyed it. It also inspired me to start a regular mindfulness meditation practice.
Elaine
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book which gave good ideas and rationale on the how and why of mindfulness and habit breaking
Shana Garrett
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book! Great application of mindfulness and psychology centered around how we create and can change habits.
Teresa
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Highly recommend this book to anyone interested in mindfulness. An excellent resource
Fullfaun Faun
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great suggestion about sitting in traffic, watching feelings rise and ebb away, etc.
Marlena Kalafut
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, zen
I enjoy mindfulness books such as this one, and I enjoyed that this one specifically addressed how to use mindfulness to curb habits that are not healthy or helpful.
Sabrina
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Succinct and to the point, this book offers concrete steps to discovering the root causes of unhealthy habits. Being able to sit with unpleasant emotions is a key take away for me.
Karen
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Filled with great info!
Sandra VonniessenApplebee
Some parts very useful and thought provoking others not so much for me. Worth reading take the gems that real are with you and leave the rest behind.
Caroline
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I agree with all of this.
Robin
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good summary of mindfulness techniques and practices. Not huge on detail, but points to other teachers and sources
Kara Marziali
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
We all have unhealthy habits that prevent us from being the people we are meant to me. There are lots of books out there on mindfulness and meditation, and this one is an easy read.
Grospierre Jill
This is an amazing step by step guide for anyone looking to change unhealthy habits and develop new heathy ones. I love the way that Hugh takes the reader through the different categories of habits and helps them to understand how these habits develop and get entrenched in our automatic responses to certain life situations. Reading this book has helped me identify habits of procrastination or resistance to certain experiences in my own life when I feel overwhelmed. I greatly appreciate that Huge ...more
Celia
I found this book a very helpful. It helped that I knew something of mindfulness before I started the book so I could focus more how it could help break habits that are holding you back from obtaining your goals(one of the author's suggestions is not to call the habits you want to change as being bad). As a was reading the book, I became more aware about how I was sitting(I am currently in physical therapy and need to change some old habits).

The book was also helpful in providing techniques of a

• Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN
  • 23 Anti-Procrastination Habits: How to Stop Being Lazy and Get Results in Your Life
  • This Is Your Brain on Depression: Creating a Path to Getting Better
  • Stranger in the Lake
  • The Seven Deadly Sins, Vol. 13
  • The Seven Deadly Sins, Vol. 12
  • The Little Book of Calm: Tips, Techniques and Quotes to Help You Relax and Unwind
  • True Refuge: Finding Peace and Freedom in Your Own Awakened Heart
  • History of Bourbon
  • No Visible Bruises: What We Don’t Know About Domestic Violence Can Kill Us
  • The Seven Deadly Sins, Vol. 14
  • Last Train to Kingston
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • The Senses
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist