Start by marking “How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use” as Want to Read:
How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use

How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use

In How to Be Miserable, psychologist Randy Paterson outlines 40 specific behaviors and habits, which—if followed—are sure to lead to a lifetime of unhappiness. On the other hand, if you do the opposite, you may yet join the ranks of happy people everywhere!

There are stacks upon stacks of self-help books that will promise you love, happiness, and a fabulous life. But how
Published May 1st 2016 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Miserable, please sign up.
Randy Paterson Want to see a short summary of the book on YouTube? CGP Grey has recently released a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mT... (or just…moreWant to see a short summary of the book on YouTube? CGP Grey has recently released a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mT... (or just search cgp grey misery; you'll find it). Grey is a little more blunt than I might be, but it'll give you an idea and his video is undeniably popular (2.5 million views in 2 months).(less)
Randy Paterson Hi there - Sorry for the delay; I've been off GoodReads for a bit developing a new book and some web courses. I'm not familiar with The Antidote, and…moreHi there - Sorry for the delay; I've been off GoodReads for a bit developing a new book and some web courses. I'm not familiar with The Antidote, and just looked it up on Amazon. From what I gather, it emphasizes the idea that we try to make ourselves feel better by avoiding things, and that actual happiness is more likely if we approach and tolerate the things we are avoiding (forgive me OB if I am misrepresenting!). This is a central idea in psychology and psychotherapy, as well as Buddhism, and some of the content in How to be Miserable does echo the concept (especially Lessons 16, 19, 32, and 36, if you have my book). A central point that I make in my intro is that much of our behaviour is guided by the quest for short-term contentment, whereas longer-term and stronger contentment typically comes from doing the opposite. So the books may be a bit similar, but complementary. If you read both, it might be interesting to hear the two perspectives - especially given that Burkeman didn't write based on my work, and I was not familiar with his. Two independent views.(less)

Start your review of How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use
Theresa
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, self-help
This book is the most impactful "self-help" book I have ever read and after reading it I almost feel no need to touch another self-help book again. This book does something that no other self-help book I've read before has done. It empowered me to like myself just the way I am, not who I should be or want to be by reading this self-help book. the whole book is set up really well. It starts with the top things that if you do them (or don't do them) will make you the most miserable. It goes over ...more
Ana
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2017
I got this book after watching CGP Grey's 7 Ways to Maximize Misery. I recommend both the video and the book - the video is based on seven of the 40 strategies given in the book.

This book is excellent. It puts things into perspective and doesn't try to give you false motivation (that in my experience just piles onto the downward spiral of "oh another thing I suck at" when you can't just do the one easy thing that will help you feel/do/be better...). It approaches happiness through showing what
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Clever. Before you try to feel better, let's look closely at the strategies you currently use to improve your happiness. Ah, interesting. Yep, you seem to be quite the expert on misery. You know what they say...If you want to get what you've always got, then do what you've always done....
Phil
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, self-help
Forty chapters of typical self-help content masquerading as ways you are already making yourself miserable. So the trick is to try to do the opposite of everything that the book recommends to you.
Res
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Like every other nonfiction book, this one has about 60 pages of content, and the rest is padding.

I gave it two stars for the introduction, where the author went to his patients suffering from major depression and said to them, "If I offered you ten million dollars in exchange, what would you do to make your condition worse?" It's an interesting thought experiment.

The actual chapters, though, are all inverted versions of the same old advice we're all familiar with. To be miserable, don't
Kara
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

Tongue-in-check reverse psychology lists all the usual advice for life improvement in reverse, describing the opposite of advice in order to use humor to help with embracing the idea of changing unhealthy habits.
Teo 2050
2.5h @ 2x. This book was a quick listen featuring most of the ways people could (and do) worsen their situation & mindset. Some of them were shown in CGP Grey’s 7-minute YouTube video 7 Ways to Maximize Misery :(. This is a good checklist to see where you’re already acting wisely & what habits you’d best focus on to reverse.

Contents:
(view spoiler)
Dramatika
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm one of the people who are mostly miserable. In fact, when I'm happy, I already worry about later, when this good time ends. It might be part of my culture, we are not known for the happy go lucky atitude. ( I doubt you woukd be either with the horrible long dark winters we have). I suspect that I was just born this way. My mom is quite an optimist, so is my dad. Brother is a always the most outgoing and effusive. I just feel too much, worry too much, think too much. I hate smug ppl, the kind ...more
Patrick Barboun
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like the premise of this book. Figuring out how to be happy is hard, but identifying things that make us miserable is easy. There were many strategies in this book that seemed to me to be obvious routes to misery, and made me wonder how anyone might employ them, however, these moments of confusion were always quickly followed by things that I definitely do frequently. The constant referral to research that supports these strategies was interesting as well.
Greta Fedaraviciute
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
This is one of the best self-help books I’ve came across, partly because it doesn’t feel like the author is preaching. In fact, you need to do the opposite of what he’s saying, which works like a charm for my stubborn mind. After reading it as an e-book, I’ll be ordering a hard copy just so I can lend it.
Емил Лозев
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book to find your personal flaws and start working on them!
Yatharth Agarwal
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yatharth by: CGP Grey
Hey you, perusing this Goodreads. “Imagine that you could earn $10 million for just half an hour’s work—let’s say tomorrow morning between 11:00 and 11:30. All you would have to do is make yourself feel worse than you do now. Worse, in fact, than you’ve felt in the past week. How would you do it?”

Thought about it? Now, when you wake up in the morning and already feel miserable, what do you feel like doing?

Many of the same things. “What feels right when you're miserable is what feeds the misery,
Thibaut
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Thibaut by: CGP Grey
According to the author, "How To Be Miserable" (hereby shortened to HTBM) is not really a book aimed at truly depressed people. Instead, it's aimed far more at the general populace. After reading it, I agree that pretty much everybody should read this book. It should be translated in as many languages as possible and be read by as many people as possible, young and old. But while I read it, the following thought never escaped my mind:

"This book is made for people who are engulfed in flame."

And
Ziyad Hasanin
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Engaging, witty, and clever; Really amusing and helpful, his look at things and explaining style are indeed interesting..
Lisa Baggerman
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheeky and flip, but full of wisdom. It keeps coming back to me.
Nina Kennett
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars for the sarcasm, other than that, its pretty meh.
anna b
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I picked this up as a "fun" read and was greatly confused from the beginning. Of course, I read self-help and those "positivity" books to give myself some hope and fresh perspectives to face the world. Starting on this book thrown me off because it went against I want for myself (I'm an idiot). It's split into 4 parts - activities, thoughts, inter and intra personal relationships, and each has 10 chapters on how to exacerbate your state of misery. The chapters usually start with a brief on ...more
J. Nick Fisk
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. My only problems with it come from a personal dislike of the whole self-help genre of book (which Paterson does attempt to subvert in comic and sarcastic ways.) At the end of the day, though, I still couldn't get over the slightly holier-than-though tone of this self-determent book.

Setting all that aside, though, it really is a helpful book--especially for using the general strategy of thinking about how one might achieve the opposite of their true goal. Overall, I can
Jeffrey
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
Depending on your exposure to self-help books and psychology in general this book may or may not be a revelation to you. But even if it should be full of fairly well known knowledge the very act of approaching the subject from a different direction than typical can help you understand and see your own fallacy all the more. I enjoyed his overall wit and general practicality. No one excels in all these areas at once, and as you will soon find out, you shouldn't try to.
Ra
Nice and short book for the road. No huge revelations there but a few tips on behaviors that are guaranteed to lead to misery.
Saarebas
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I felt personally attacked while reading this.
Chris
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely need to revisit this one later--there's a lot here. Paterson is a clever, fluent writer who can succinctly describe many major tenets of psychological health (or ill health, as the case may be) and how to cultivate them (or not). Everyone could find a chapter or two, at least, that hits close to home. I especially appreciated the metaphor of "the theater of the mind" with its multiple screens--and a mirror. The "how to be miserable" angle slips from time to time, but since Paterson is ...more
Milan Žila
If someone offered you 10 million dollars to be more miserable tomorrow than you are now, what would you do tonight? Overeat junk food to make yourself sick? Get little sleep to feel tired and unwell?
It may not sound like a useful exercise at first but make a list of things that you would do and you may be surprised to find something that you do already, regardless of the payout.

Continuing in this spirit, the book gives you advice on how to maximize your misery and ironically points out what you
Michael Burns

For a long time I’ve been practicing being depressed and miserable as a hobby. A side thing. I never thought I could professionally despair. But this book showed me all the things I’ve been doing wrong that might lead me astray and towards contentment and happiness. Thankfully I have seen all the little things I was doing wrong. With this book, you too can become professionally miserable. You won’t make any money of course, being miserable is its own reward.

As the name suggests How to be

Susan
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A clever idea, taken a bit too far. In the Acknowledgements, Paterson notes that the "book arises from a talk I first gave at ... [a] lecture series for the public." Perhaps a single talk or a short series would be more appropriate to maintain the humor and avoid excess.

Paterson points out that his tongue-in-cheek-advice is intended for unhappy people, not for those with clinical depression. He begins by sorting the situations of life into two categories: Column A is for circumstances that we
Sean Goh
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: psych
Easy to read reverse psychology. See which of these you are doing, and stop doing them. Easier said than done.

___
Those in the deepest valley of depression often need other strategies (besides chirpy satire) and another voice.

The modern world was created based on hominid desires, not on a dispassionate analysis of what might work best. Our early surroundings have given us drives and instincts that, today, work against our best interests.

There is an interconnectedness between mood and impulse. As
Chrisel
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this books via GOODREADS giveaway. Thank you very much.
Hilarious and insightful book that uses irony to get the point across about the behaviours that makes us miserable in our quest for happiness. It is a book about what a lot of us are already doing that makes us miserable. It has even some strategies I didn’t know about and will definitely try not to try…. Very tempting though, just in case. You never know.
The tone of the book and the many examples of behaviour described make the
Lauren
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
POPSUGAR's 2016 Reading Challenge: A self-improvement book.

"But what feels right when you're miserable is what feeds the misery, not what feeds you."

This book was the oh-so-needed kick in the giblets. I worry that people will take offense for this book being sarcastic or flippant about the depths... and I can see that because it's sort of the point. So many things are beyond our control but they all add to the shit that is life. On the other hand, there are also a lot of things we can control
Victor Villas
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the only self-help book, if this is even really a self-help book, that most people should ever read.

The book is written in a fun style to listen to. It's short, well narrated and entertaining. The content is dense and packs several seemingly obvious advice and a few not very intuitive ones. Inevitably some of those will hit home, either because we identify ourselves or people close to us. The book ending was a little bit out of the mood, and unexpectedly within the usual motivational
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Despite the fact that there is no new information in this book, everything is put in a very different perspective increasing the awareness for silly mistakes that people make all the time. I found useful most of the strategies that he mentioned but others are a bit redundant and they felt like the repetition of some previous ones. Also I didn't find this book very easy to read; as a non-native English speaker I struggled to understand some of the sarcastic jokes and elaborate words. I still ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
UW Book Club: How to be Miserable 1 3 Jun 03, 2019 06:18PM
What are YOUR top strategies? 1 11 Nov 23, 2015 05:13PM

• The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
  • Healthy Habits Suck: How to Get Off the Couch and Live a Healthy Life… Even If You Don’t Want To
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts—Becoming the Person You Want to Be