Start by marking “Snow Job” as Want to Read:
Snow Job

Snow Job

Nick has created the perfect list of rules for remaking his life. His loser friends may be graduating from high school and going nowhere fast, but Nick is determined to make a fresh start. All he has to do is stick to his list.

Enter dark-eyed Dawn, tough and troubled. Meeting a girl like her is nowhere on Nick’s list. Neither is hanging out Zod, a teen thug who is back on
Published March 1st 2016 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Snow Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Job

Bryan Cardenas
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is worth mentioning that I was a little naive and did not understand the title until half the book haha.

But hey, Snow Job tells the story of Nick, who is tired of living in the same way in which he has done all his life. So but now he wants to change his life based on a list that has written with four basic things to carry out his plan. But what he did not know was going to meet some people who perhaps would ruin his attempt to change.

The story seemed very well write, since despite being sub
Deena Lipomi
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read
Nick is trying to turn his life around senior year, but he meets a girl who's in trouble, a guy who he owes, and a drug dealer who promises cash, which could change his path around again. Anyone who has lived through an upstate NY winter will appreciate this setting, and anyone who enjoys an imperfect main character trying to make things right will appreciate this narrator. A fast-paced, crime-ridden read.
Cynthia A
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: won-books-read
Nick has decided to set up new rules to change his life. He changes his style of clothes, but when he meets Dawn his next steps didn't go quite as planned. He gets involved with Zod running drugs etc., plans to leave town with Dawn, and someone tries to set him up to take the fall for some missing drug money.
Quick easy reading. Moderate to good story.

I won this book free on Goodreads.
Agha Haider
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wow. The ending was shocking and horrible. This book was just not my type. Drinking, girls, drug dealing...It was a complete meh, boring, pathetic, annoying... I wouldn't recommend this to anyone under the age of 14.

Pam
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
YA book. Drugs and sex. High school age or older. Can Nick change his whole life by changing the clothes he wears? Seems to work -- but he gets involved with drug runners, a girl who pretends to be his girlfriend, etc.
Anjanette
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is a good thriller type of book. There is language and lots of drugs throughout the book. I would say it would be good for high schoolers but I would not recommend any younger.
Sammi
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, somehow I went into this book completely oblivious to the whole cocaine thing. So that was a pleasant surprise. Everyone in the book is kind of totally a loser, but some of them are amusing losers. Dawn was nearly insufferable until the end. Nick's parents are heartless robots programmed to say the same idiotic sentences every time he interacts with them. "About time you showed up" or something. Like why do you even care? You barely even count as parents, shut up. I actually ended up kind ...more
William
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Aurora Dimitre
|4.5 Stars|

This was fun. That's probably one of the best ways to describe this - it was just. Fun. I enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as I normally like Benoit's books, but it was still really good, just not good enough for the full five stars - I still really enjoyed it. The characters were good, the '70s setting was REALLY well done (seriously - you can tell that Benoit grew up in the '70s), and overall, I really enjoyed it.
Kathy Heare Watts
Just when you think you have it all planned out and in order, life happens!

I won an advanced uncorrected proof copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am donating it to a senior assisted living facility.
Teddy
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
dnf @ p123
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Benoit, Charles Snow Job, 274 pages. Clarion (Houghton Mifflin), 2016. $18. Language: R (50+ swears, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: R (drinking, weed, drug dealing); Violence: G.

Nick is a senior in high school and it looks like his life is going absolutely nowhere. Just as he tries to change things for the better, or at least a different nothing, he gets lured into running drugs for an old adversary. Not only is his life looking worse – he could also be looking at dead.

This book says that it is set in
Chelsey
Nick is tired of living the life he's expected to, so he decides to redefine himself. His new mantra: Stand out, Stand up, Stand by, Stand fast. So when a pretty girl walks into his job at the Stop'N'Go and cons him out of $10, and a guy Nick once testified against in court gets out of jail, he knows his life is in for a change. Suddenly thrown in with drug dealers, Nick must make a choice. Will he follow his mantra and get himself out clean, or will he give in to temptation?

I don't tend to like
TwentySomethingReads
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Young Adult
This story has the following: life revelations, dysfunctional families, miserable jobs, and relatable characters. Overall, if you have a quick moment then this is an enjoyable junk food read.

Spoilers
When I first picked up this novel, I truly didn't know what to expect. At first I thought this was about a kid messing up and having to shovel snow to make money and a bunch of hi-jinks thrown in. Nope, I was absolutely wrong. Snow Job meant cocaine job. Which seems obvious after the fac
Stephanie
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nick is a guy's guy and an inwardly secure guy growing into his ideals and his goals. He might remind you a little of Lloyd Dobbler in "Say Anything". Nick's parents fail him, Nick's sisters fail him, Nick's friends fail him and yet Nick finds love, which also can somewhat fail him. Caught in a spiraling web of deceit and danger, Nick holds on to his convictions and fights for his true love. He learns some valuable lessons. Set in the late 1970s, this story has character, excellent dialog and a ...more
Sharon Thurnell
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was the lucky winner of a copy of this book from a Goodreads Giveaway. I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me that no matter what year it is, past, or present, kids will always be kids. Every generation faces the same set of problems. It brought back memories of high school. Ugg. If only I could have been as smart as Nick. Nick had a list though. The LIST. Following it was the key to helping him map a path that leads him through a series of dead ends and false starts. Did he get there in t ...more
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Love the cover, and the details about life in 1977 were spot on (Except wearing jeans. We were not wearing jeans all that much at that point, since blue ones were only allowed in 1976). There was just too much drinking, pot smoking, and cigarette smoking for it to be middle school appropriate.
Read InAGarden
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think I need to be in the right mood to read noir and when I read Snow Job I wasn't in that mood. I've read all of Mr. Benoit's previous books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I've recommended them to my students and his book You is even one of the books I use in my book club. Snow Job just didn't spark my interest or draw me in.
Carmen Gordon
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a giveaway. This book is easy to read, and from the beginning you find yourself rooting for the main character. His intelligence is unappreciated by family and friends, and the reader comes along for the ride as he grows in maturity. Slightly suspenseful, contains a surprising twist that caught me completely off guard. I highly recommend this book for readers ages 16+.
Great Books
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-15-18
It's the late 1970's and Nick, in his senior year, has decided to reinvent himself. Nick has developed four statements to change his life. But is crushing on a drug dealer's girl friend and planning a double-cross part of the plan?

Reviewer 17
Hayley
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A noirish not-quite-a-thriller set in late 1970's upstate New York. Good evocation of time and place, with smart lead characters. See my full review here.

Elizabeth Castro
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Snow Job is an easy read, taking me only a few hours. I admit I was intrigued and didn't expect anything that happened. I would recommend this book only for mature audiences.
Laune
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
It is a satisfying and thought provoking book about a boy, Nick, trying to change his life with a list of things to do. It is a crime-ridden book but it is easy reading.
Shadow
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good. Makes me want to improve myself. Though some parts seemed a little random, and made some parts of the book hard to understand.
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2016
Elizabeth
Mar 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Confederates Don't Wear Couture (Pilgrims, #2)
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • Red Heart Tattoo
  • Escape from Baxters' Barn
  • Tower of the Five Orders (The Shakespeare Mysteries #2)
  • Game Over, Pete Watson
  • The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root
  • Painting the Black
  • Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl
  • Milo Speck, Accidental Agent
  • Guile
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • The Greatest Zombie Movie Ever
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • Turn Left at the Cow
  • Your One & Only
  • The Suburban Strange
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
When he's not traveling around the globe in the search of exotic, tax-deductible settings for his mysteries, Charles Benoit spends his days pumping out subliminal-laced advertising.
Nominated for an Edgar and a Barry, Relative Danger won the Franklin award and was the darling of fans and critics alike. Out of Order (2006) is set in modern India while Noble Lies (September 2007) takes place in Thai