Start by marking “Mirage” as Want to Read:
Mirage

Mirage

Seventeen-year-old Ryan Poitier Sharpe is a gutsy, outgoing girl who spends her summer days hurling herself out of planes at her parents’ skydiving center in the Mojave Desert. Fiercely independent and willing to take risks, she challenges those around her to live life fully. But after a brush with death, Ryan is severely altered—she’s not the same thrill-seeking girl she ...more
Published July 5th 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mirage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirage

Heather Petty
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, friends, ya, owned
Here is where I will list some of the things I love about this book:

1. Ryan is this amazingly complex character. We get to see her as a fearless badass one minute and a wounded little girl the next...like we all are. She reads so real to me, and I love her.
2. Nothing is tidy in this story. There aren't any shiny red bows on anything, no easy answers.
3. Maybe because this is set up as a stark reality, the supernatural pieces feel as real and true as the rest of it, and that feeling compounds t
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

My feelings about this book are complicated because while I thoroughly enjoyed it, Mirage walks a thin line between dealing with mental health and being a thriller and the two don’t overlap in a way which allows both things to be explored and established completely.

What the book does do well is teenagers. Teens who have sex, who make bad decisions, who drink and party, have sex, take risks, fall in love, fuck up friendships, everything. T
S.E. Green
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A psychological thriller that will blow your mind and leave you questioning what you really do see when you look in a mirror.
MadOnReading
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book! A great, action-packed thriller with a deep message...
Ryan was such a great character--a strong, likeable girl who was soooo believable. And the writing in this book is beautiful. Sooo beautiful. My head's kind of mush after reading this one as it was so good and I can't stop thinking about the ending. All the characters were well-written, rounded, and had flaws.
This is the first book I've read by Tracy Clark, but I'll definitely be picking up another!
Megalion
This is one of those books that is hard to write a review for. What makes the book so interesting and worth reading is something that would be a spoiler to include.

The synopsis does a good job of setting the scene. Also of relevance to the story, there's a great deal of pressure on the family as the business is in danger of going belly up.

For those who like stories about sky-diving, this is definitely a book for you as it is an integral part of the story.

Go along with Ryan as she revels in adr
Chris Ledbetter
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“…trumpets and neon and hot sauce.”
That about sums up this book. Psychological. Thriller.

This story is a whisper that strikes like a velvet hammer. It defines the universal struggle to be unapologetically oneself, and to be truly seen.

Gutsy sky diver tests the limits of her mortality while being both an inspiration and a cautionary tale, simultaneously. What she finds as she draws ever closer to the precipice is truly haunting. The narrative hurtles toward a final few chapters that left me brea
Dr.Mandi Fessler
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mirage took my breath away! What an incredible book, so beautifully written and haunting all at the same time. I literally felt like I had experienced a mirage after reading it. The very definition of a mirage is something that appears real or possible but is not in fact so. That is exactly how I felt after I read the last page of the book.... Kind of like all mixed up inside, a little confused even though I know what occurred. I was left with a lingering experience of a mirage like did that jus ...more
Sara
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Your reflection is your own."

I have been following Tracy Clark on Facebook since I read Scintillate about a year ago, and as a stalker fan, I’ve witnessed the process she’s gone through to write Mirage. I’ve seen the skydiving pictures, I remember the questions about respectfully creating ethnically diverse characters. I know how much of herself she pours into her stories, and this is why I treasure her books. She is nothing if not the definition of authentic.

Mirage is a departure from her Lig
Stephanie Ward
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
'Mirage' is a young adult contemporary thriller where the threat doesn't come from someone else, but from inside the main character herself. I was excited to read this book from the moment I read the description, and I wasn't disappointed. The concept of fighting a battle within oneself isn't necessarily a new one, but it hasn't been used in this way in a long time. The book is written in the first person point of view - from our main character's perspective - which made the entire story much mo ...more
Fallon
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mirage was an adventure into the mind where some dare not take a closer look. Tracy took every aspect of people and amped the question of insanity, humanity and vulnerability. I was completely wrapped up in Ryan and what was happening to her throughout. The story is so fast paced you will fly though it. I love the fact that if you read this over and over again you would find new details every time.
Jacci
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It had a memorable protagonist, an intriguing family and an unusual setting. The story line kept me turning pages!
Dayzhana Yates
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this book, it brings you on edge to what comes next. And the main character is very bold and brave. She is very determined and want allow anyone to get in her way. She thrives for skydiving. She wants to be apart of the X games, but her dad doesn’t want her to be in it. She pulls off this stunt that for which her father grounds her. Angry at what her dad dictates for her to be she hangs with the wrong crowd and something unimaginable happens that changes her life.

Ryan chang
Izzie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mirage is about Ryan Poitier Sharpe a teenage girl with a love of all that is dangerous. Whether she is jumping out of planes at her parent’s skydiving center or taking other risks, she challenges everyone around her to embrace life to the fullest. However, after a LSD trip gone wrong, Ryan is no longer the same. She is afraid of the things she used to embrace and her relationships begin to fall apart. Ryan must fight for her identity before it is too late and the new Ryan destroys everything.
O
Holly
Wow. What an absolute rush this book was! It’s fitting that a book starring a girl who has jumped from airplanes dozens of times would create an adrenaline surge in the reader, I suppose. I certainly felt my heart racing as I raced through this book! I felt like I didn’t just read it, I devoured it. And it was spectacular!

Tracy’s characters all felt so real, despite the fact that I only spent about 4-5 hours over the course of 2 days reading the book. They each connected with me from their first
Madeline Dyer
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book! A great, action-packed thriller with a deep message...
MaryClaire Boucher
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Tracy Clark's Light Key Trilogy, Scintillate however, this book takes it to a whole new level. The characters are beautifully diverse and believable. She puts the main character, Ryan, in real world scenarios, like potential loss of the family business and a retired soldier Dad with PTSD, right along side a front row experience with the super-natural. It is hard to tell where realty begins and ends. The pace is an adrenalin rush on par with the skydiving so beautifully describe ...more
Lynndell
Thanks to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the arc of Mirage by Tracy Clark! Ryan loves skydiving and she does it often because her parents own a skydive business. Ryan starts seeing another reflection in the mirror along with her own and she sees eyes looking at her in random places. She feels as though someone is watching her. Ryan loves adrenaline so much, it's almost like a death wish. Something changes and Ryan is not the same, she has to struggle for her identity amid confusion, ...more
Hilary
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Seventeen-year-old Ryan Poitier Sharpe is a gutsy, outgoing girl who spends her school break jumping out of planes at her parents’ skydiving center. Complex and independent, Ryan enjoys taking risks and embraces life fully. But after a brush with death, Ryan changes and battles a mental slide that leads to psychosis. As her relationships crumble and her life unravels, Ryan must fight to become the girl she once was in an atmospheric and gripping contemporary thriller. The theme of self-versus-se ...more
Briana Morris
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. It makes you want to love life more and not take it for granted. This book will have you wanting to cry, laugh, and be angry throughout the book. Definitely a recommended read!
Connie (hoot reads books)
Wow this story is an eye opener and with a powerful message in the end. This is a must read folks!

*******

Stop what you're doing right now and go get this book! Buy it, borrow it, trade it, do what it takes to get a copy as long as it's legal because this is a story I think everyone must read! Not convinced yet? Then check out my full review at hoot reads books
Taiyanna Sims
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked this book!!!! Ryan who's an adrenaline junkie and lives life in the fast lane, has a near death experience. Afterwards she starts having paranormal things happening to her. Hallucinations and the like. Very good! Real rating: 4.8
Kaitlyn Abshire
Jun 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was won through Goodreads giveaways.

While this book did have some good potential, I was not a fan of the paranormal aspects. I will not be finishing this one. DNF at 53%.
Joana
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-reviews
This book make my day because the author gives justice about what happening inside the head of main character Ryan. I will recommend it to those people who like a good psychological thriller.
Eboni
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
If this book was supposed to be based on the supernatural, it missed its mark. Meet Ryan, a spoiled bratty adrenaline junky that gets her high by jumping out of planes at her dad's business. Her military dad is a hard ass that shows little emotion to his daughter and with every breath proves that he'd wished she wasn't is. Her mom is a pushover who spends most of her time berating her daughter for annoying her father then opening up her eyes to see that her daughter is suffering from the lack of ...more
Anne
I love that there is a strong, ethnic, female protagonist in this book, clearly featured in the cover art as well.
Ryan is 17 and she is addicted to adrenaline, especially in the form of skydiving. Oh, and getting her thrills with bad boy boyfriend Dom as well. Due to this relationship, there is some sexual content and innuendo that is better suited to high school and older audiences.
Ryan is thrilled that her parent's skydiving center is on the short list of places to host a competition that co
Janine
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Read up to chapter 15 but just couldn't go any further. Wasn't enjoying the caotic and neurotic ness of this plot and style of writing the main character's storyline even though this is probably exactly what the author intended to portray. No doubt others would say this is what makes it a good book, just wasn't my cup of tea.
Lucy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
really interesting story, i wasn't sure what was happening near the end
i loved the complexity of our main character and this was such a pleasant surprise
Hannah Florczak
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
confusing in the end but did Ryan die or not
Jasmine Isabella  Climer
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book
♡
Nov 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2017
1 ⭐ ...more
Play Book Tag: Mirage by Tracy Clark - 4 stars (sky diving!) 1 12 Aug 13, 2016 07:29PM

• Holding Court
  • Alpha (The Infinity Division, #3)
  • When Penny Met POTUS
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Rebecca Tree
  • The Wishbone Wish (Judy Moody & Stink #4)
  • Hiding Lies (Eleanor Ames, #2)
  • Chasing Midnight (The Dark of Night, #2)
  • The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes
  • Smash & Grab
  • Crash Alive (Haylie Black #1)
  • War of the Wilted (Garden of Thorns, #2)
  • Vessel
  • The Reaper's Daughter
  • Tracing Shadows (Scout, #1)
  • Strings
  • Never Apart
  • Project Pandora (Assassin Fall, #1)
Tracy Clark is an award winning writer of novels for young adults and runs the Moxie Fruit blog for midlife women. Basically, she has one foot in the teen side of her brain and one in her midlife side.

She recently relocated from the cold part of the Sierras to the sunny and looks forward to being warm for once. Her college-aged kids are a continuous source of great dialogue and keep her young.

Th