Start by marking “The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton” as Want to Read:

Audrey Vernick and Steven Salerno have again collaborated to bring us a captivating picture book about a compelling but little-known piece of baseball history. Beginning in 1922, when Edith Houghton was only ten years old, she tried out for a women’s professional baseball team, the Philadelphia Bobbies. Though she was the smallest on the field, soon reporters were talking ...more
Published March 29th 2016 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Kid from Diamond Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kid from Diamond Street

Start your review of The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton
Linda
Considering that females still cannot play much baseball, this is an extraordinary story as the title says. The youngest of ten children, Edith says she was born with a baseball in her hand. Illustrations show young Edith playing every chance she got, and wow, she was talented! At the age of ten she tried out for the Philadelphia Bobbies, a women's team of older teens and those in their twenties. She made the team, at ten, was called The Kid, and didn't stop playing for a long time. The most exc ...more
Jenn Bishop
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing true story! I'd never heard of Edith Houghton and now, well, I sort of want to be her. What an incredible adventure she had playing baseball in the first half of the 20th century. A great role model for girl athletes. Beautiful illustrations as well. A home run!
Barbara
For those that think sports such as baseball were games intended for males only, this picture book offers a counterargument. Featuring Edith Houghton, who grew up playing baseball and tried out and made a professional women's baseball team at the age of ten, the book follows Edith after she joins the Philadelphia Bobbies and becomes their starting shortstop. Most of the story describes how the team traveled by train across the country in 1925--yes, almost a century ago--to play various teams on ...more
Margie
It was summer. We were all rookies. Coach Wadsworth was patient to a fault. He really understood the skills of the players on his softball team, enhancing our abilities. He knew as a whole we were only as strong as the weakest link.

So he worked with all of us, hour after hour, game after game. If you weren't a powerhouse hitter but a fast runner, he made sure you bunted with the best of them. If you were quick on your feet with honed reflexes but could not throw great distances, he placed you in
Jana
This is a great picture book biography about a young woman who was an outstanding baseball player during a time when not many women played. Edith Houghton claims that she must have been born with a baseball I'm her hand. When she was ten, she earned a spot on the Philadelphia Bobbies, a women's professional team. As the team's shortstop she had the opportunity to travel to Japan and tour the country, playing men's teams. This book shares the fun and exciting details of that trip. The illustratio ...more
Samantha
A picture book bio about Edith Houghton who grew up loving baseball during a time when girls didn't play baseball. She was a gifted player so much so that at the age of only 10 she tried out for a professional baseball team, the Philadelphia Bobbies, and made it!

Her love of the game took her around the world and earned her a place in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

An author's note including pictures of Edith makes up the back matter and reveals the many ways Houghton stayed connected to the sport af
Christina
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know nothing about sports figures so I'm always intrigued by just how many more famous (or not famous til now) baseball players can have a picture book written about them. Haha! But I really enjoyed this one because it was about a GIRL becoming a great player, and I wished I'd heard of her before now. Edith Houghton grew up in Philadelphia, one of TEN children, played baseball even though girls weren't usually expected to or asked to, and she joined the Philadelphia Bobbies, an all-girl team, ...more
Lisa
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edith Houghton was an amazingly talented baseball player! As a child she played with her brothers in Philadelphia, and at age 10, she tried out for an adult women’s team, and made it! She was so young her uniform didn’t fit, but her skills were so good, she was starting shortstop. She traveled with this team in 1925, and at the age of 13 competed against men’s teams in Japan, winning more than they lost!

It’s wonderful to find a baseball story about a girl! The illustrations are perfect for the
Matthew
For me, this book was particularly interesting since Edith Houghton is a bit of a local, but even if she weren't, I'd have loved this book. It's interesting baseball history and though it focuses predominantly on one piece of her baseball career, the end note covers the rest of her life rather nicely. In all, this book would have broad appeal in my library from the sport readers to the history buffs to the fans of boundary pushers. The book is appealing and well-presented, very thorough and easi ...more
Zach Stp
This is a great story about Edith Houghton the great american female baseball player. Audrey Vernick gives us great insight of the life of her and her incredible journey starting off as a 10 yearold pleaying up almost twice her age and ending up as Major League Baseballs first female scout. Vernick shows children and all of us that if you really put your mind to something there is nothing that can stop you. This is a great book for children pre-school through 3rd grade.
Tegan
I had no idea about Edith Houghton. Such an inspiration to young girls that want to play sports and maybe feel like they can't. I'm disappointed though that the MLB is still all men, despite these amazing women players that beat men's teams across the world! Read for Info Books for Youth for grad school.
Jessie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
This was mainly about Edith Houghton's childhood, her years playing pro baseball with the Philadelphia Bobbies.

Her love of the game really comes through, and the story of the team getting to go play in Japan surprised me a lot; it was cool! But the story also didn't feel like it *went* much of anywhere.
Candace Worrell
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gscba-2018
Tells the story of Edith Houghton, a female baseball player. Engaging and touching. The description of the trip to Japan loses the focus a bit, but humanizes Edith since she is just a little girl. Good choice for people looking for inspiring stories of women, feminists, baseball lovers.
Kris Dersch
The great Audrey Vernick with another wonderful baseball picture book biography, this one on Edith Houghton, a story that should be told much more often than it is. Delightful story and wonderful book.
Ashley
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I was unaware of a professional all-female baseball team that played against the male teams in MLB. And especially a professional all-female baseball team with a starting elementary school-aged player! This was a great book to read and the story was phenomenal.
Melissa Nikohl
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Do you know Edith Houghton?⁣

Well, she was so good at baseball, the Women's league let her join the team even though she was only ten years old.⁣

Her nickname was The Kid, and she traveled the world doing what she loved.
Laura Hodgins
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, history
You can learn something new every day in the children's section. A fun look at a real women's baseball team and their youngest member in the early 1900s.
Zack McCurry
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story was about an influential woman who did things that were unprecedented. This book could be presented to show importance on the woman's rights movement.
Casandria
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great non-fiction book about a girl who loved baseball!
Angela
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
If your a baseball fan, you will love this book about a true sports legend.
Maureen Tully
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Inspiring story with additional information included in the Note from the Author at the end.
Tiffany Hough
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Another home run from the winning team of Audrey Vernick and Steven Salerno. I am not a baseball fan, but I love this just as much as I loved Brothers at Bat.
Miss Erica
This tells the amazing story of 10 year old professional baseball player, Edith. She plays against men teams all over America and in Japan as well.
Melissa
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, kids, sports
A girl who can play pro baseball at age 10? Awesome!
Heather Jo
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meggie-list
Kelly
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good but really long for a picture book
Julie
Great story about a person I had never heard of.
Tam Newell
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful picture book about the true story of a 10 year girl playing professional baseball in the 1930s. Great vocabulary words and conclusion.
Felicia
Beehive Nominee 2019Beehive Nominee 2019
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, sports
The story of Edith Houghton's life from birth through age 13. She played pro baseball beginning at age 10. At age 13, she traveled to Japan with her team and spent months there.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear
  • Barbed Wire Baseball
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • Maybe Something Beautiful: How Art Transformed a Neighborhood
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille
  • Another
  • Radiant Child: The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat
Audrey Vernick is the author of books for young readers.

Forthcoming titles:

After the Worst Thing Happens

Scarlet's Tale, illustrated by Jarvis

All-Star: How Larry Doby Smashed the Color Barrier in Baseball, illustrated by Cannaday Chapman