Start by marking “How Women Decide: What’s True, What’s Not, and What Strategies Spark the Best Choices” as Want to Read:

So, you’ve earned a seat at the table.
What happens next?

From confidence gaps to power poses, leaning in to calling bias out, bossypants to girl bosses, women have been hearing a lot of advice lately. Most of this aims at greater success, but very little focuses on a key set of skills that ensures such success — making the wisest, strongest decisions.

Every day, in every
Published May 10th 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about How Women Decide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Women Decide

Start your review of How Women Decide: What’s True, What’s Not, and What Strategies Spark the Best Choices
Cindy
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Data shows that when women are under a lot of stress, that they tend to go to the known solution. Men will go for the risky option.

Things to say -
I strongly believe we should do this -
This is going to be the plan -
Is there anything that we haven't heard yet before I make a decision?

Notes:
Having strong social networks help women stay and move into high leadership roles

"There's a popular misconception that women are indecisive by nature, that unlike men, women continously review their options,
Nadinastiti
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Found it when I browsed all those shelves in Big Bad Wolf, then searched for its own pile because I would like to have the one with better and smoother cover (lol), but couldn't find any so I have to be satisfied with this one. No regret, because this book is somehow fits my need, because currently I am in a personal crossroads.

From this book, we will learn more about decision making from both genders, how men are more risk-taking and women are risk-alert; how it also applied not only in human,
Kristin
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book was fantastic. I learned so much about how cultural expectations play into the way women decide, and the way men and women perceive those decisions. Her book applies in all aspects of life, regardless of career.

The most refreshing part about this book was that the book was based in solid research. She highlights the fact that women often have better judgement than they realize. I took notes (because unlike many other self-help books, this book actually gives you solid advice of how to
Allison
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book, not just about how women's minds work, but about the science behind how all our minds make decisions.

My notes to self:
-When facing a stressful decision, force yourself to come up with at least 2 more options than the first one that comes to mind in order to avoid being forced into believing "desperate times call for desperate measures" is the only strategy.
-Remember, if you pay a lot for advice, you'll be way more likely to take it, even if you know it's bad.
Nicole Wagner
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn't just another girl power pick-me-up book. Nor does it pander to the manly men's business world as norm and say "play by their rules if you want to win their game".

This book contains solid science, real strategies, and a healthy dose of optimism. I really surprised myself by enjoying it, taking notes, and recommending it. Most of us can use help making important decisions -- I do!

This book's great for women but will also be interesting for male managers who want to improve their
Veronica Feliciano
One of my problems with non-fiction is that some of them are super boring, they are not able to keep my attention for long enough. However, this one was very interesting . The way the author was able to provide researched data and helpful examples that made me want to continue reading and learn more about the information she was explaining. Also, I really enjoyed that, even though the title suggests that is book is only for women, this book was able to provide example on the difference between ...more
Wiebke Kuhn
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting examples that are chosen to make it easy to recognize myself linked with data, research projects and compelling insights have made this a useful read.
Some of the points to take away -- we still live in a work environment dominated by masculine preferences; if women want to be successful without the constant doubt and stereotype threat, we need to change the physical work environment. Do pre-mortems to think through major decisions. Support each other when we take risks, even and
Karen
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important and informative book. Huston speaks directly to women and men about decision making, leadership, and unfolding careers. I have way too often been the only woman on a committee and felt the double binds women are entangled in from stereotype threat and traditionally male ways of knowing and acting, which results in lowered self-confidence and cognitive overload. I wish I had had a guide like this 30 years ago, but I'm glad it's available now.
Bradley Bartholomew
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well articulated arguments of gender discrimination that occur in society, focusing on the unconscious judgments and decisions made by individuals. Taking from the principles talked in detail in Thinking Fast and Slow, as well as other modern psychological, Therese applies them to how women make decisions and how they are viewed for those decisions.
Paigez
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I translated this book into Chinese last year. Like all books I have translated, I have mixed feelings toward it and cannot possible give it a fair enough critique. Therefore, I’ll refrain from doing that.
Kimberly
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I learned some interesting tidbits which I think will not only help me but also help how I relate to other women in the workplace. I definitely plan to start keeping a 1 sentence journal.
Alisa
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book... with many examples and studies.
Frances
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book, has strategies to not only help you decide but to keep your from questioning your decisions in the future.
Arlene Kropp
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This had so much unusual and helpful information! What a fascinating subject.
Amber Roberts
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, would recommend to everyone!
Polly
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EVERY WOMAN should read this book! Content is supported by research but written in an accessible style. Each chapter ends with practical applications. Can't stop talking about this one.
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid insight as an introduction to psychology in sexes. Would recommend.
Lynn Weber
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Really great Malcolm Gladwell-type book detailing research on gender issues.
Michael Silverman
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely terrific! It was like going back to a graduate school cognitive science seminar (albeit with no discussion). The work is solid and based on quality research - I'm not saying that simply because she references one of my Harvard University mentors. Dr. Huston does a terrific job tying decision-making theory to real-world examples and then pointing out the implications. She does it masterfully.

As a clinician, I work with very successful women. Indeed, I have gotten to know some of the
Nan Narboe
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The writeup interested me and reading the book convinced me. There are gender-based differences —and it's freeing, not limiting or insulting, to call attention to them.

In this case, the discovery one more time that "It's not just me," is more than a relief: It's a tool kit.
Cyndie Courtney
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Goodreads
An extremely important book about society often forces women to consider decisions in different ways because of the expectations placed on them, how this honestly can make them very helpful in making group decisions for companies, and how we can both take advantage of this and think about women in leadership to help create a more fair world. A wonderful book.
Warren
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
Lost a star for using Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos as a good example.
Emily Davenport
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is geared towards women in a business setting. I had hoped for more examples of making personal decisions, but a lot of the information still rings true. One thing I will use instead of pro-con lists is the idea of the "look back" where you ask yourself to imagine in one year, what is something you wish you had done or that you would be glad you did. For example "Looking back, I'm so glad I ____" or "If I hadn't _____ this year, I would really regret it."

The idea of a one-sentence
Katie Bruell
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the minute I started reading this book, I wanted to be friends with the author. She writes very well--none of that annoying non-fiction style of spelling everything out ad nauseam, but at the same time, she doesn't make points that have been supported by only one small study--she makes sure that she finds multiple studies that reach the same conclusion. The title sort of turned me off, and some of the more business-related examples weren't all that relevant to me, but I still learned a lot ...more
G.G. Silverman
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read many, many business books in my lifetime, and few have hit me as hard as this one. Exceptionally well researched, with tons of data, this book will open your eyes toward the deep-rooted bias against female decision-makers in the business world, and shares strategies for both women and men to counteract these biases, and how women's decision-making style can ultimately be tools for positive change. Everyone should read this book—managers, world leaders, workers, parents. You will be a ...more
Chris
May 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: bookclub
If you read the excellent Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead and Thinking, Fast and Slow still want more…
Tai Tai
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Retitled: How Women (Should) decide is another read that tries to fit social-scientific/behavioral economic studies to add meat to a boney, self-help premise. Only until the near end does the author cite concrete evolutionary science as the underlying root for women's choices.
Sally Kenney
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I am highly skeptical about sex differences, Huston simply presents the data from neuroscience and psychology. Very readable and practical. My students loved it.
Deb Salamon
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thought the gender differences were interesting but the gender neutral "bad decisions" chapter was my favorite.
Author did a good job surfacing some newer research. I especially liked the recap at the end of each chapter for things to remember and things to do - likely a handy reference in the future.

• Letters From An Astrophysicist
  • The 12 Week Year
  • The Lion King: The Novelization
  • Breaking Bailey
  • The Secret Treasure of Oak Island: The Amazing True Story of a Centuries-Old Treasure Hunt
  • Six SIGMA Revolution
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Managing the Millennials: Discover the Core Competencies for Managing Today's Workforce
  • Design a Better Business: New Tools, Skills, and Mindset for Strategy and Innovation
  • Zarządzanie projektami krok po kroku
  • Scrum Guide
  • Oh, the Meetings You'll Go To!: A Parody
  • Whiskey, You're The Devil (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #4)
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #5)
  • Whiskey and Gunpowder (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #6)
  • Whiskey for Breakfast (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #3)
  • Whiskey On The Rocks (Addison Holmes Mysteries, #4.5)
  • Candidate experience. Jeszcze kandydat, czy już klient?
THERESE HUSTON, PH.D., was the founding director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning at Seattle University and has spent the past fifteen years helping smart people make better decisions.

She has written for the New York Times, and her first book, "Teaching What You Don’t Know," was published by Harvard University Press. Her second book, "How Women Decide: What’s True, What’s