Start by marking “It's Ramadan, Curious George” as Want to Read:
It's Ramadan, Curious George

It's Ramadan, Curious George

It's the first day of Ramadan, and George is celebrating with his friend Kareem and his family. George helps Kareem with his first fast and joins in the evening celebration of tasting treats and enjoying a special meal. Then, George helps make gift baskets to donate to the needy, and watches for the crescent moon with the man in the yellow hat. Finally George joins in the ...more
Board Book, 14 pages
Published May 3rd 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about It's Ramadan, Curious George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Ramadan, Curious George

Start your review of It's Ramadan, Curious George
Iqra M.
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely book on Ramadan.
If you're in a reading slump, I highly recommend children's books and graphic novels.
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I saw this and had to read it cause Curious George was a favourite of mine when I was a kid. I love my little monkey so much. This was such a cute children’s book. George taking all the shoes at the mosque made me cry inside. So precious.
Narges
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
We liked this book. Now that I have a preschooler, it seems smart to introduce other cultures to kids through their favourite characters such as this curious monkey.
However, this book does not have a story or even some simple dialogues or conversations. It is basically an explanation of Ramadan rituals.
We liked the illustrations as well.
Huda Fel
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
George learns about the holy month of Ramadan while visiting his friend Kareem... who happens to fast for the first time! Thanks George for your curiosity ❤️ such a good friend he is!
Muhab
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked it. It's a really good book.
Khadijah R.
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read this for four years, and I finally did, and it was so cute! George helping Kareem fast, and then wearing his little sherwani vest on Eid, and everything in between. 10/10 too sweet.
Yasmin Salahuddin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved Curious George as a kid! This makes me so happy!!!
Vicky
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking around for baby books about various religions that aren't inaccurate or super irritating. This story is adorable!
Joey Gremillion
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Random thought : Charles Schultz, the creator of Peanuts was a very forward-thinking (and I don't mean progressively political or "woke"), but someone who was ahead of his time. During segregation, he created an African-American character, Franklin. Rey's book is uncharacteristically verbose and, rather dull. Schultz would have nailed it.
Serene in Wonderland
"Later when it's lunchtime,
Kareem reaches for a piece of bread.
Wait! No food until sundown.
George keeps him busy instead."

In this Curious George book, George spends Ramadan with his Muslim friend and his family. We have the board book version of this book and it has tabs on the side for each 'chapter'. All of it is in smooth, flowing rhyme (yay!). It tells the story of George helping make treats for Ramadan, distracting his friend from the hunger of his first fast, eating iftar, helping in a clo
Zachary Johnson
It's Ramadan, Curious George is a fresh take on the Curious George series used to explain some of the practices of the Muslim faith. Through this classic series younger audiences are allowed a view into other cultures, and those who already practice the faith may see due representation in children's literature. With the signature art style of the series this is a welcome addition to the Curious George collection.
Asho
Our library had a display of Ramadan children's books so L grabbed this one because it's Curious George and it's purple, two things she likes. I hadn't planned to steer her toward the Ramadan books but was glad she picked one because I always like the opportunity to give the children a taste of different religions and cultures and get to learn something myself.
I know almost nothing about Ramadan so I can't speak to whether or not this book is an accurate introduction to it or covers enough of it
Maria
A good book for all the Curious George fans, as George helps his friend Kareem with his first fast. It is informational book along with a good story about helping a friend. It has age appropriate language and provides children information about fasting, while keeping it interesting with the familiar character Curious George. Many children will learn new things about a different culture and traditions while reading this book. I always enjoy books by Hena Khan, so I was happy to see her contributi ...more
Alex Gagliano
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: multicultural
"It's Ramadan, Curious George" is a children's book about how Curious George is helping his friend Kareem prepare for Ramadan. The boys go through Ramadan procedures such as preparing the food, donating to others, and giving gifts. George is suprisingly not as silly as he has been in his other books. This book would be good for teacher younger elementary grades because it does not go into depth about the meaning of Ramadan, it just gives the reader some ideas about what people do to prepare for ...more
Imani
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable fiction book. It incorporates a popular children's character and information about an Islamic holiday. Curious George gets to experience celebrating Ramadan with his friend Karim, a Muslim boy. The human characters are realistic, George is a cartoon character but he does not talk as a human would. A problem and solution are not applicable to this genre. The illustrations include colorful images of accurate food, clothing, and events one would see in the midst of Ramadan. They ...more
Lisa
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
George is learning about Ramadan while he shares the holiday with his friend Kareem. George helps decorate and make some of the treats, he encourages and supports Kareen through his day of fasting, and he celebrates with his friends at a big nighttime dinner. Then, he does service at the mosque, and gets a gift to help celebrate the Eid festival. George’s first Ramadan is a success.

This is a great book for learning about Ramadan. The sides are tabbed so that the child can select which tradition
Dan Marfise
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Curious George as a kid and that silly monkey was always getting into some kind of trouble. I was happy to see that it is still the same Monkey and man in yellow as my childhood in this book. Now George is learning about Ramadan and the Islamic faith in this book. Which is great for the reader who can either learn about a religious holiday they might not otherwise know about. Or for other readers to see George partake in an event they might celebrate and encourage George’s friend Kareem t ...more
Heather
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Written by Hena Khan (of "Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns" fame), "It's Ramadan, Curious George" is a simple introduction to Ramadan and Eid for the young ones in your life. I ordered a copy of this for myself, and two copies for friends. I am going to request that my library order a copy, too. This book goes a long way in making Muslims feel included by using a well-known character like Curious George in conjunction with Ramadan. If you are looking for a book that has more detail about Ramadan ...more
Amira
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One word: finally! This is a lovely story for children about the Islamic holy month Ramadan, featuring the beloved character Curious George. The story chronicles the events of Ramadan through the friendship of George and his friend Kareem. Written in narrative poem, follow George and Kareem as they learn to fast, have patience, give charity, decorate, and celebrate Eid. Thank you, Hena Khan!
KitaabWorld.com
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is little doubt that Curious George is a household favorite for most kids! In this book, Curious George celebrates Ramadan with his friend, Kareem. This book explains the key concepts around Ramadan - fasting, charity and finally feasting, in child-friendly rhyme. A must have for those who observe Ramadan, and others who would like to learn about Ramadan too!

See other books in our Celebrating Islam booklist here:
Debbie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Ramadan
A fun board book to explain Ramadan to children. Curious George has a friend named Kareem who will be fasting during the day. Curious George does not fast himself, but he helps his friend Kareem throughout the day, and he joins in with the fun after the sun goes down. This book does a good job explaining the fasting, the breaking of the fast, and sharing with others. It helps explain another faith, in this book the tradition of Ramadan, in a children-like manner.
Lee Ann
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was a cute little book teaching young readers about Ramadan through rhyme, featuring the beloved Curious George. I enjoyed the shape of the book, with the colorful tabs to help the children turn the pages. I'm not sure the book was really meant for one-to-two-year-olds (that was the age group of the classroom I was in, and the boy I read it to seemed a little impatient with the amount of words), but I enjoyed it myself and can definitely see the value in it. 4/5 stars.
Balqees
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I will say the book is average. It is a story about monkey George visiting his Muslim friend observing Ramadan and joining the Eid festival. The quality of drawings and words selections are amazing. The missing link is the spirit of fasting for a whole month. Deeper meanings of self discipline and spiritual cleansing were not touched. But it is still a nice book to read with my kids every Ramadan.
Jamie Macaluso
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book served as a mirror for me since it is about the Muslim holiday Ramadan. Curious George and Kareem are sharing the first Ramadan holiday together. The book goes through Kareem's family celebrating and what exactly they do for celebrations. I liked this book because not only was it Kareem and George's first experience with Ramadan, but mine too! I felt like I was getting to experience Ramadan with them.
Janet Luch
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: multicultural
In this cardboard book, Curious George spends time with his friend Kareem's family. Kareem even fasts for a day and George helps Kareem keep his mind off of food, even when Kareem's stomach is growling. There are tabs at the right edge of each page to help young children find the page they want to read. George does not get into his usual trouble in this book.
Sabrina
This is a cute book with a familiar character that many children may know and love. I personally love all the rhymes and details on each part of Ramadan, such waking up early for a meal, staying busy until sundown, doing a good deed at the mosque, etc. I think this is a great read aloud book for children in 1st to 3rd grade.
Shireen Hakim
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was nice to see a beloved character celebrating our holiday. The illustration of the man in the yellow fez was especially memorable because his hat is so iconic.
I like that they celebrated Eid at the end of the book, and I'd like to see a separate book, "EID MUBARAK, CURIOUS GEORGE!'
I did not like the rhyming it took away from the sentimental and epic tone of the book.
Elizabeth
The rhyming text energetically moves the reader through the story, and is a fun introduction to Ramadan for kids. It's also nice for Muslim kids to see themselves reflected in a popular children's book series (and the illustrations normalize e.g. women in hijab).
Johara Almogbel
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-the-library
There are few words that explain how happy I feel that one of my favorite childhood characters is starring in a book that talks about important parts of my faith. I absolutely can't wait to read this to the children in my family!
Haneen
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book introducing children to Ramadan and Eid. Not your typical board book as it has a lot of words but it has tabs for the different pages which is neat. So glad to see families checking out this book!

• Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors
  • Little Oink
  • More to the Story
  • I Think I Am In Friend-Love With You
  • Like the Moon Loves the Sky
Hans Augusto Rey was born on September 16, 1898, in Hamburg, Germany. He grew up there near the world-famous Hagenbeck Zoo, and developed a lifelong love for animals and drawing. Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein (who would be known to most of the world as Margret Rey) was also born in Hamburg on May 16, 1906. The two met briefly when Margret was a young girl, before she left Hamburg to study art. The ...more