Start by marking “Into the Dim (Into the Dim, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Dim (Into the Dim, #1)

Into the Dim (Into the Dim #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,121 Ratings  ·  863 Reviews
When fragile, sixteen-year-old Hope Walton loses her mom to an earthquake overseas, her secluded world crumbles. Agreeing to spend the summer in Scotland, Hope discovers that her mother was more than a brilliant academic, but also a member of a secret society of time travelers. Trapped in the twelfth century in the age of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Hope has seventy-two hours to ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Into the Dim, please sign up.
J. Ford I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm not one to usually read historical fiction. The characters I found very believable and merged so well with the…moreI thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm not one to usually read historical fiction. The characters I found very believable and merged so well with the historic ones that I began to think they were all real. You know how Rowling made Little Winging and Hogwarts feel like they really existed, and all the characters real? That's what I felt with this book, and that is rare for me. Fantastic escapism at its best!(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,234 books — 9,569 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
261 books — 1,439 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jul 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, arc, 2016
In my sixteen years on this earth, no guy had ever, ever flirted with me. The redneck boys where I was from preferred girls like my cheerleader cousins. Size two. Blond. Busty. Brainless.

This book is being marketed as Outlander for teens. It isn't. It's a serious insult to teens to say they're incapable of appreciating anything beyond this cliched, slut-shaming drivel.

Time travel doesn't even rear its head until the poor reader (me) has sat through pages and pages of innate, inexplicable speci
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
When the “thees,” “thous” and “wherefores” sprang naturally from my lips, I felt a pang of gratitude for my mother’s insistence that I master all those archaic languages.
What's with all the time travel books lately? Is it because of the popularity of Outlander? Is time travel the new vampire or something? It's a tough subject around which to write a book, and it can go wrong in many ways. This book is an example of how time travel can be fucked up.

To be clear, I do not expect this book to be
Cait • A Page with a View
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why there are so many time travel books based in Scotland. Pretty sure I need to start roaming the highlands (but with a backpack full of antibiotics and/or something to cut a fever because I PLAN AHEAD, CHILDREN). Anyways, I could probably write both a 2-star and a 5-star review, so I'm going with 3.5 stars.

What I *think* was the plot: Hope is a girl who has a lot of anxieties, so her mom kept her out of the loop about her time traveling. When her mom goes missing (presumed dead),
Regan
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5

Review soon!
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this 10 stars?? I freaking LOVED this book! First I want to thank HMH for sending me an advanced copy to read.

Ok so my review have you ever seen the movie Timeline with Paul Walker and Gerard Butler? No? Here's the imdb link check it out! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300556/?... well this book reminded me of a mix of Timeline and a YA version of Outlander yes there's a hot Scott lol there's also a hot Brit as well and before you say "oh crap there's a love triangle" I will tell you th
Carrie
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Hope Walton's mother was believed to have been killed in an earthquake eight months ago. Her father has moved on with his life and met someone new but Hope still believes there's a chance her mother could be alive.

After the service for her mother Hope receives an invitation from her mother's sister to come for a visit while her father travels. Not wanting to be left with her grandmother that has never accepted Hope into her family since Hope was adopted, she battles her anxiety and boards a pla
Nicklein Mae
His mouth came down over mine, stopping my words, crushing me to him in a kiss we both knew would have to last us for a long, long time.

I AM BEGGING YOU CAN I HAVE ZE NEXT BOOK LIKE RIGHT NOW?

I AM ABOARD THE MOST FANTABULOUS SHIP IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD

AND

THIS BOOK GAVE ME ENDLESS CARDIAC ARREST BECAUSE OF THE PALPITATIONS I FELT EVERYTIME BRAN'S NAME WAS MENTIONED;

THIS BOOK MADE MY EYES ITCHY AND PROBABLY WORSENED MY ALREADY HORRIBLE VISION;

THIS BOOK GAVE ME TONS OF WHIPLASH BECAUSE OF THE
Lori
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh, this was so much fun. Henry II & Eleonor of Aquitaine are my favorite historical figures and the chance to travel back to their world was thrilling. This is similar to Outlander in that the 'present' time period is set in Scotland along with the traveling through time, but that is where the similiaries end. Obviously, the main difference is that this is geared toward YA audiences, so it's language is lighter and more modern. The time traveling, also, in this had more of a purpose. I real ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group and NetGalley.)

“All the air whooshed from my lungs as I stared into my mother’s face, woven into an object that was nearly nine hundred years old.”

This was a YA sci-fi story about a girl who had to travel back into the past to rescue her missing mother.

Hope was a strong character in this book who never gave up. It was quite interesting to learn about h
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at the BiblioSanctum

While Into the Dim is not without its flaws (like calling it “an Outlander for teens" might be a bit of a stretch), there’s still no denying this book has its charms. The story is impressively robust for a YA time traveling book, and what it lacks in world-building and logistical explanations, it makes up for with pure entertainment and plenty of fun twists along the way. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed myself.

Most of this story actually takes p
Stacee
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I will admit to being a little wary of reading this book because of the tag line comparing it to Outlander. Not that Outlander is bad, but I'm slightly afraid of the historical aspect.

I really liked this cast of characters, especially Hope. She's quite possibly the smartest person ever and sort of awkward and it was entertaining reading her figure everything out. I always love when someone who was totally underestimated rules everything.

The overall story is quite interesting and I was instantly
Lucia
Aug 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-2-stars-read, ya
What aspects should a good novel have? My list consists of relatable and in detail developed characters, intriguing world-building, emotional moments, addictive plot and preferably a twist or two. Into the Dim had none of these. What it did have was insta-love, boring plot, shallowly written one-dimensional characters and stupid narrator (who in their right senses would not question why stranger is stalking you and secretly taking your pictures just because of pretty eyes of said stranger???). N ...more
Anatea Oroz
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

Into the Dim is one of those books that left me absolutely confused and I had no idea at first if I liked the book or if it was just another book in the sea of other books that I will forget about in a month. Writing the review usually helps me sort out my thoughts. It was the same with this one. There were a few elements that I liked, but there were like waaaay more ones that I didn't like. Time travel books are usually complex and to
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
DNF at 12%

I'm not in the mood for this.

I'm sick of protagonists hating "Size two. Blond. Busty. Brainless" cheerleaders. This girl have never even been to a school, never met actual people her own age. Who the hell is she to judge ANYONE?

I am not in the sort of mood to read self-important speshul snowflakes.
Taylor Knight
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I'd seen quite a bit of hype around this book so I was super excited to start it. I was a little put off by the fact that it sounded so much like Outlander (time travel and Scotland) and that it's marketed as "an Outlander for teens" but I still wanted to read Into the Dim.
First off, I love Outlander with very ounce of my being. Outlander means so much to me. So the fact that Into the Dim pretty much copied the concept of Outlander upsets me. It's so similar to Outlander and I couldn't stop com
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Just so you know, Eleanor d'Aquitaine = Alienor.

Of course I'm interested, this historical period always fascinated me.

I'll still wait for reviews to be posted, though. Historical/Time Travel YA can be so annoying. Please tell me she isn't a special snowflake. Please.
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
Into the Dim is such a lush and enjoyable book! The story takes place in two interesting locations, Scotland and London, and the main character is flawed and relatable. As if the book isn’t already phenomenal, it is written in such a captivating and lyrical way that makes the reader never want to put the book down! Into the Dim is a definite must read.

This book has one of the most unique settings that I’ve seen in YA. The story begins in Scotland, which gives it such a romantic and exciting back
Ashley Blake
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: speculative
Action and history-packed, I loved this time travel tale! Hope is a real, interesting and badass heroine and the twists and turns of this book kept me turning the pages. Such fun!
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Nov 07, 2014 marked it as lost-interest-or-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc, dnf-or-skimmed
DNF @ 21% + light skimming.

I felt absolutely nothing during this story, nor did I like the main character very much. It read like another one of those special snowflake stories when the awkward girl doesn't know how pretty or talented she is. It's hard not to compare to other books that have made time travelling and ley lines much more interesting. The romance, too, was boring, and a love triangle in the future seemed imminent. Not for me.
Traci Chee
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early copy of INTO THE DIM as part of an ARC tour. The setting is lush, the conflict compelling, and the science and magic of time travel is fascinating. But my favorite part of this book is the wealth of complex female characters. Hope is flawed and full of fears, but she's smart and strong when it counts, and her friends, mother, and aunt represent a diverse range of ways to be kickass (at any age!). And of course, there's Eleanor of Aquitaine, whose sharp-tongued ...more
Michelle Madow
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it -- especially when they were back in twelfth century, London! Janet did such an amazing job bringing the time period to life. I truly felt like I was time traveling with the main characters, and I enjoyed the historical details. Can't wait for the next book!
Lela
I expected good things from this book, and I was let down BIG TIME! Honestly, I’m creating a Disappointing shelf because of this book….Aaargh. Only about 20-ish pages in and I was already considering DNFing it, but luckily for the book I had decided from this month onward to completely finish any book I read. However, unluckily for me the book did not get better and it was a struggle to complete even though I did finish it in two days, mainly because I wanted it over and done with.

I’m a big fan
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
The very first sentence of Into the Dim is "Everyone in town knew that the coffin was empty," and it was love at first line. I devoured this book and could not believe it when I reached the end. Into the Dim has everything that I look for in a Historical Fiction novel: actual historical facts twisted into a new and fun plot. It actually left me wanting to know more about the history of the book's setting and of the the actual historical figures—particularly Eleanor of Aquitaine. Seriously, if yo ...more
Stefani Sloma
SCOTLAND AND TIME TRAVEL. Could there BE a more perfect book for me?
Rebekah
Uh oh.... Unpopular opinion. DNF
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Not gonna lie: I had some high expectations for this book, especially as it being lauded as the Outlander for the YA set. It definitely did read a lot younger than I'm used to, even for a young adult novel. But Outlander it was not. For one thing, I was almost 40% into the story before the time travelling became an actuality.
Emily France
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-ya-debuts
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of INTO THE DIM. What drew me to it were the promises of time travel and vivid glimpses into history, and it delivered on those beautifully. But there was something in this story I wasn’t expecting… the voice! The heroine has one of those voices I could listen to (or follow to any point in time) for another 500 pages after the story ended. It’s strong, unique, and rings so true. I was able to suspend my disbelief and follow the author through this amazing act ...more
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
This was ok.. The cheesy romance ruined it for me though. Also the main character is not likeable enough
Lonna | FLYLēF
FLYLēF Book Reviews

Original Post: Into the Dim at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com)

AT THE RISK of sounding like a cliché, books truly are the most versatile and economical means of traveling—transporting us from real to imaginary worlds, and even piercing the veil of time. Into the Dim, by Janet B. Taylor, takes reader to 12th century London in the time of Eleanor of Aquitaine. I'm not too sure on the historical accuracy of this book, though, I thought Ms. Taylor richly detailed the beauty and darkness of this period. I f
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Are you in the mood for a fast-paced, whirlwind adventure to the past? If so then "Into the Dim" is the book for you.

Quirky and eidetic memory-wielding Hope Walton is thrust into the world of time traveling after her mother, Sarah, goes missing when really she's stuck in another century. Hope and two other time travelers are tasked with rescuing Sarah. They are her last chance, and if they can't save her she will never be able to return to her proper time period.

"Into the Dim" has a slower star
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Ivory and Bone (Ivory and Bone, #1)
  • Future Shock (Future Shock, #1)
  • Stone Field
  • Vicarious (Vicarious, #1)
  • A Drop of Night
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever #1)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Where Futures End
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Once Was a Time
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Return Once More (The Historians, #1)
  • Traitor Angels
Janet Taylor lives in such a small town in Arkansas that if you happen to sneeze when you pass by, you'll totally miss it. (Cause, you know, you can't sneeze with your eyes open. For real--try it--it's impossible)

Her first novel, INTO THE DIM, (which debuted 3/1/2016 from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) is about a 16 year old girl who travels through time. Totally on purpose and stuff.

Her second book,
More about Janet B. Taylor

Into the Dim (2 books)
  • Sparks of Light (Into the Dim, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)