Start by marking “Bowl: Vegetarian Recipes for Ramen, Pho, Bibimbap, Dumplings, and Other One-Dish Meals” as Want to Read:

Flavorful vegetarian versions of America's favorite one-dish meals: ramen, pho, bibimbap, dumplings, and burrito bowls

A restorative bowl of vegetarian ramen sent Lukas Volger on a quest to capture the full flavor of all the one-bowl meals that are the rage today—but in vegetarian form. With the bowl as organizer, the possibilities for improvisational meals full of seasona
Published March 8th 2016 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Bowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bowl

7jane
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is about making vegetarian meals gathered together in one eating bowl. Bowls are basically: grain + veg + protein + condiment(s). This book mainly focuses on Asian-end recipes, so it's probably good to have another bowl-meals book to have more variety. Eggs are featured in many dishes, but I feel you could replace it sometimes with soft or firm tofu (if tofu is not already included), or just leave it out.

There are photographs for many of the recipes, and tips and smaller recipes scatte
PorshaJo
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Biggest peeve....not enough pictures in a cookbook. Many times we eat with our eyes. Personally, I think cookbooks should have a photo for every single recipe. But I know that can be a bigger cost. There are pictures in this book, but not enough. Sometimes a recipe sounds quite good, but reading the details it seems so overwhelming and I see myself in the kitchen for many hours. I decide against it. But if there was a picture....I would stick with for many hours because it LOOKS so mouthwatering ...more
Yodamom
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan, cookbooks
Vegan
Beautiful photographs of delicious looking meals. The recipes are clear and easy to follow, all vegan.
I made 6 different recipes, all were good but not great. They all lacked flavor for my family's palate. I double and tripled the spices in a couple and it was perfect. I'd recommend it as a basic book as long as you know it is under spiced.
Erin
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alright, so this dude has a little bit of the organic hipster Brooklyn sickness, but that doesn't take away from the quality of this cookbook's concept and execution.

1. Errything in a bowl
2. Asian/ish
3. Vegetarian
4. Seasonally focused.

I'm particularly down with his choice to have a spring/summer/autumn/winter version of most of the main recipes (ramen, pho, bibimbap, dumplings) - it's a good way to try to teach readers about variations on a theme. Having a basic recipe down and improvising bas
Ambur Taft
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Awesome cookbook. Great motivation for easy and delicious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners - all year round.
Ellen E. Baldwin (Quest Reviews)
Itadakimasu!

Ever since I was little, I've been obsessed with Asian food. It started out with a love of Americanized Chinese cuisine, but my tastes have grown to encompass Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Korean, Filipino, and Japanese foods and more.

I love the variety of rice, noodle, and protein-centric dishes available throughout these cuisines, but soups also have a special place in my heart. Ramen... Pho... Tom Yum... Khao Soi... Egg Drop... Miso... *sluuuurp*

So when I had the chance to pick
Elizabeth  Leonard
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It makes me so sad to have to give this book such a low rating, it really does.

Bowl is a beautiful cookbook with unique and inventive recipes and photos, that entice the eater from the get-go. Thumbing through its pictures the author makes eating vegetarian look so tantalizing that you find yourself thinking, "Yeah, I could totally go veg."

Unfortunately, for me, that was where the book's appeal ended. I wanted to love this book so much. I love meals in bowls, I love Asian cuisine (which is most
nikki
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
i totally got suckered into this cookbook by the photography, which is stunning.

the recipes in this book just have too many ingredients and steps for me to realistically achieve. just flipping through this book overwhelmed me. i would definitely order a lot of these in a restaurant - they look very good - but my personal cooking skill level is just not up to par with the recipes in this book. (but then, bizarrely, conflictingly, there are tiny recipes for poaching and frying eggs? what?)

i copie
Tish
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
It's beautiful--love the pictures. I was looking for ways to get healthier meals on the table, with less reliance on processed and prepackaged foods. And this book sounded perfect for my half-Asian family. However, too many of the recipes called for 20+ ingredients, several of which had their own recipes elsewhere in the book. I need something a lot quicker and easier than that. And hydroponic lettuce? I've never even seen that in any of my local grocery stores and I doubt that it would be in my ...more
Renee Sands
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting recipes for a bored cook. A great introduction to 'bowl' eating with authentic tasting recipes and fresh ideas. We use it frequently now, especially in the summer when we are overflowing with fresh veg. It isn't just 'soup', it's much more. I really like having it all in one large bowl, easier to eat, easier to create, easier to clean up and it melds the flavors together in a way that you cannot get with a '3 squares' on a plate.
The Summer Ramen broth recipe has become my go to broth
Sally
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an array of flavours

Whilst the dumpling folding is a bit tricky if you want more than a half moon or triangle, the flavours of the finished dumplings are divine. I bought the book after noticing the beetroot and tahini dumplings and have also tried the pumpkin with fennel and ginger. I'm looking forward to trying the kimchi ones next... The dumplings freeze perfectly and steam from frozen in 5 minutes so are perfect for quick fix dinners.
Susan Bryson
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've made lots of these bowls, and used his ideas to create many of my own.
Viriam
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This cookbook brings forward asian based recipes that are simple and delicious. Bowls, bipinbap, pho etc are gaining in popularity and this book shows you how to make them. Great resource.
Simonew
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loving this cookbook - has inspired me to make a few Bowl meals lately.
Reagen Ward
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the better ones I've tried recently. I'll be buying the paper version (I read this via Kindle Unlimited).
Ash Albinson
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really awesome and most recipes can be veganized! A great book on just fun foods.
Maria Taggart
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Great for techniques and basics of ramen, especially for vegan soup base.
Clivemichael
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Creative lesson with excellent illustration. Wonderful.
Lisa
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, nonfiction
great inspiration for veggie noodle dishes
Jen Johnson
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I really don't know how to rate this one. The recipes sounded great, and I am very glad for more vegetarian cookbook options. And like others, at a restaurant I would order all of these dishes in a snap. But the ingredients and prep are way too complicated for me - and I say this feeling pretty comfortable as a shopper in Asia-focused markets. What good is a cookbook that sounds great but that you know you will never use? Two stars, I guess-I am not the target audience for this, but I wish I wer ...more
Katy
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, work, 2017
This is one beautiful book. I read it through a 2nd time for cookbook club, and this time I attempted the 'Autumn Ramen'. From making my own dashi to roasting mushrooms, and much more, it turned out pretty tasty. It was many more steps than i'm used to, but worth it in the end. Also tried the wonton soup which was great. May try a few other dishes.
Ady Grafovna
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no cookbook like this! I do not know how frequently I will use these recipes, but my daughter and I are eager to try out some. Also, basics and tools are heavily discussed which is a big plus too.
Cook These Books
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
In 2016 we all rediscovered that bowls are good for more than just soup, cereal and haircuts. Bowl gives you a convincing argument for throwing away your plates and embracing a bowlful lifestyle.

Read our full review here: http://cookthesebooks.com/bowl-lukas-...
Daniel M
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed his boon because it taught me a few things that I didn't know before, which now help me make quicker decisions in the kitchen. I still haven't been able to make dumplings, ramen or several of the recipes, but the basic instructions in many, if not most, of the recipes are very good at being templates on which to build my own variations. Volger's recipes have taught me, among other things I am probably forgetting as I write this, that I can make any dish work well by simply knowing how ...more
Kym
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Volger has put together a cookbook filled with vegetarian recipes served in bowls. For the most part, the recipes are Asian in nature and style. There are a few non-Asian exceptions. He is quite thorough when it comes to the ingredients and offers several recipes to make things from scratch. Things like sauces, spice blends, oils and even ramen noodles. Beautiful photos are sprinkled throughout and I can see how this book would encourage anyone to up their veggie intake. I'm looking forward to m ...more
Christy
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: publisher-arc
made the rutabaga fried rice, chickpea dumplings and the springtime pho....all very tasty, but a lot of work for someone who doesn't know how to cook this kind of stuff. i guess now that i know some of the basic techniques and ingredients it could go smoother. would i make more? eh...probably not. i'd rather go to the restaurant and pay someone else make this kind of stuff for more.
overall, nicely done well written, but needs more photos.
Amy
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vibrant, nutritious, and packed with flavor, these recipes will wow vegetarians and carnivores alike. I look forward to cooking my way through this book and benefitting from the technique tips scattered throughout. One note: I used the recipes as a foundation, often tweaking ingredients and spice level to suit our tastes.
Tamara
Unique vegetarian recipes that I would order every day in a heartbeat from a restaurant, but am less inclined to cook on my own with unfamiliar ingredients that require packaging and processed foods. May try to tackle one someday, nonetheless.
Itismyrealname
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative - Delicious- Healthful - Varied

Great buy. Exactly what I hoped for. The recipes are clearly explained. I feel confident enough to switch ingredients for my own inspired creations.
Wendy
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I would happily go to this restaurant, but not very interested in collecting all of the ingredients myself...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
  • Vegetarian India: A Journey Through the Best of Indian Home Cooking
  • Whole Bowls: Complete Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Meals to Power Your Day
  • Asian Tofu: Discover the Best, Make Your Own, and Cook It at Home
  • Zahav: A World of Israeli Cooking
  • Naturally Nourished
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Made in India: Recipes from an Indian Family Kitchen
  • Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck
  • Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey
  • Cook Food: A Manualfesto for Easy, Healthy, Local Eating
  • Mangoes  Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
Lukas Volger wrote the cookbooks Veggie Burgers Every Which Way and Vegetarian Entrees that Won’t Leave You Hungry. His accessible, whole-foods based approach to vegetarian cuisine has been featured in national and local print, radio, TV, and online media. He’s appeared on The Splendid Table, has been featured on the New York Times “Diner’s Journal” as well as in Martha Rose Shulman’s New York Tim ...more