Start by marking “Treat” as Want to Read:
Treat

Treat

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  462 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
In this hilarious and heartwarming companion to the Geisel Honor-winning picture book Ball, there's a new dog in town and he doesn't want to play ball, he wants a TREAT.
Published March 1st 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Treat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treat

Kaethe
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love that dog. That is a good dog. Mary Sullivan really gets at the essence of dog/child relationships. Don't miss Ball by the same author.

Library copy
Jillian
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cute, but it lacked the magic of Ball. While every pet owner knows the struggle of a cat or dog who's bound and determined to get people food (and has probably had a discussion with a small person about teasing said pet with food you don't intend to share!), I feel like the gag went on a little too long here. Some of the pages - especially during the dream sequence - were too busy, and I found myself just wanting to skip them.
That said, the illustrations were really cute, and I just wanted to gi
Jillian Heise
I'm a fan of one word stories, especially to use in the classroom to show kids the power of how a word is used, storytelling, and illustrations. I loved Ball, and this next story from Mary Sullivan, Treat, is a delight.
Beth
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Sullivan's picture book Ball is a favorite of mine, so I was elated to discover she had another one-word story, Treat, and it is just as charming as her first. I especially love that both Ball and Treat say "Word and Pictures by Mary Sullivan." That just makes me giggle every time I see it.

As you would imagine, Treat is the story of a highly food-motivated dog who thinks of nothing but where he can find his next snack. As he begs several different members of his family and is teased mercil
Barb Middleton
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
You could work on expression with this book. It has one word and a dog's many ways of asking for a "treat." It got a bit repetitive but the KA students liked it as a read aloud.
Dolly
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2017, childrens, pets, humor
With a single word, this story conveys a multitude of emotions, desires, responses, and reactions. The illustrations are cartoonish and the puppy is adorable, reminding us of our own treat-motivated hound dog.

Our oldest and I read this book while browsing through The General Store at Kimball Farm in Westford, MA during our late summer vacation trip to go back home. We really enjoyed the book and contemplated purchasing it, even though it would only be for the comparison to our beloved pup.

I agr
Kate Petrocione
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Precious puppy.
Jessica
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable. If I were a dog I would be this dog.
Eyehavenofilter
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes I went on to this next book immediately....I was hooked. The illustrations and the prose just sucked me right in. It’s simple and sweet. Something that I need to soothe me right now with what’s going on around me in this world today.
Margaret
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this story, which is told using only one word. It could be useful in the classroom to help students understand how graphical elements convey meaning as the font changes often. The illustrations could also help students look critically at how authors and illustrators convey the idea that the character is dreaming. Plus, the way the dog is searching long and hard for a treat reminds me of my dogs!
Maggie Mattmiller
Mar 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Cute idea, but it went on wayyy too long. I think kids would get bored with this one. Or would want to jump to the end. At times it's even visually a bit much to try to analyze what's happening in each picture/part.

Yes, I know many dogs like this one, so I think people will relate/connect. But again, it's just too much for me.
Anie
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rec-pic-books
This is an adorable picture book for anyone who likes dogs!
Franki Sibberson
One word book
Margaux
With a nick-nack, paddy-wack, give a dog a...TREAT!
Lauren Kramer
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mary Sullivan is back with more fun stories about dogs in her second book: Treat. The reader is introduced to an adorable Frenchie who longs for a treat. First, he tries scamming cereal from his youngest caretaker. Then he begs for hot dogs from the older sister. Grandma and Grandpa prove to be no help in the treat giving department either.

Even the baby is unwilling to help the poor pooch out. Will this friendly Frenchie ever get the treat that he longs for?

I am a huge fan of Mary Sullivan's wor
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sullivan, Mary Treat. PICTURE BOOK. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2016. $15. 9780544472709

In this one-word picture book, all this puppy wants is -- you guessed it -- a treat. Unfortunately, none of the humans around seem to find feeding fun stuff to the dog all that important.

This is a cute story with very expressive illustrations. Because it has exactly one word repeated over and over throughout, any read-alouds with it would need to be pretty dynamic in order not to bore. All in all a fun explora
Becky B
A dog is searching everywhere for a treat, but no one seems eager to give him his heart's desire.

I picked this up with Sullivan's Geisel-winning Ball. The books are completely separate stories, but similar in style. The only word in this is "treat." My four and five year old nieces are super excited that they can read it all by themselves, and the older one was able to learn how punctuation changes how you read a word through this book and Ball. The graphic novel format was easy for the young on
Chloe A-L
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-work
I'm trying (and failing) not to hold this books "one word" gimmick against it, but man, I really don't like that archetype of kids books. I understand the appeal for kids to read on their OWN, and lord knows I love plenty of sparcely-worded or wordless comics meant for adults, but as someone whose job is basically "reading books out loud to toddlers for money", nothing sucks more than reading a book that only uses one word. Even wordless books feel like they leave space to describe what's happen ...more
Lindsay
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
My daughter wasn't a fan of this book, but my son was. He loved the cute dog and how he kept trying to get a treat in any way possible. The good thing about the book is it is in comic book form and the only word you need to know is the word "treat". My son is not familiar with stories that look like comic strips so this was also good for him to learn how to read it and understand the telling of the story through pictures. Such adorable.
Pug Cake
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another adorable doggy book by Mary Sullivan! Much like "Frankie" and "Ball," "Treat" took the reader to the depths of despair (why won't anyone give this fat Frenchie a treat!??!)... which was really quite sad, when you consider that this is probably just what your dog thinks about all day... it's very guilt-inducing. But of course the book turned around at the end when someone finally did give him a treat (a huge treat!, and he was happy again!
Camille Rickis
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
With very simple text but illustrations that say it all, this fun and entertaining picture book follows a dog who just wants a treat. With graphic novel-style illustrations, the reader is taken systematically through the plot, which textually and thematically consists of just one thing: "Treat". ALthough it may not be the right book for a read-aloud, the simplicity, hilarious illustrations, and smaller size is perfect for any age child to curl up and read to themselves.
Rachel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the creator behind the hilarious Ball, comes another dog-delight. Treat follows the same winning formula as the first, utilizing a single word throughout in various fonts, sizes, and colours to create a story. In this case, the little dog is desperate for a treat, she dreams about treats, she begs for treats, but no one in the family gives her one. Fortunately, in a rather sweet conclusion, it all ends well for the dog. Sullivan's cartoonish style is so expressive that the story could be un ...more
Donna Mork
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: repeats
One word through the whole book, TREAT. Dog wants treats. Tries to get them from every member of the family. Then thwarted, he goes and takes a nap. He has awesome dreams and terrible nightmares about treats. Then he wakes up and his owners have a lovely treat for him. Illustrations are adorable.
A Allen
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Similarly to "Ball" by Mary Sullivan, this book only uses the word "treat" and pictures to convey a story. I like the repetition of "treat" throughout but I personally think this story is not as clear.
Kristen
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
While repetitive (the word "treat" is now weird to me), it completely captures the one-mindedness that dogs seem to have when it comes to treats. I always love her art. Gosh darn it, it is too cute to handle!
Mely
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
this is one of those books that only uses one word. as a read-aloud, it challenges the reader to vary voices and intonation. however, just lacks the spark that other books of this type do. this is very similar to a graphic novel, but in picture book form.
Lindsay Niebuhr
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
In the story there is a new dog in town and all that puppy is after is a treat. I would give this book one out of five stars since it is appropriate for emerging readers but it lacks a lot of dimension.
Paige Smith
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This I believe was the very first book that I have read where the only text in the book is one word, treat. I felt very sad for the poor dog throughout the book because all he wanted was a treat and no one would give him one. The style of the book reminded me of a graphic novel layout and the illustrations as well. For being such a simple book, I loved everything about it.
Bethe
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #72. All the things a dog can try once the aroma of a treat floats by his nose.
Roseanne
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Treat????
  • Worm Loves Worm
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • Float
  • Mother Bruce
  • The White Book: A Minibombo Book
  • Coming Home
  • Bear and Bunny
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Piano to the Beach, Don't!
  • I'm Trying to Love Spiders
  • Spot, the Cat
  • The Typewriter
  • Everyone Loves Bacon
  • Poor Doreen: A Fishy Tale
  • Cowpoke Clyde and Dirty Dawg
Mary Sullivan received a BFA from the University of Texas at Austin but considers herself a self trained illustrator. Her childhood memories are of the many hours she spent perusing books, devouring poetry and studying very closely each and every illustration. She has shown her work at galleries and coffee shops in Austin and Dallas. More recently, she has begun channeling her energy into illustra ...more
More about Mary Sullivan