Start by marking “Flying Frogs and Walking Fish: Leaping Lemurs, Tumbling Toads, Jet-Propelled Jellyfish, and More Surprising Ways That Animals Move” as Want to Read:

A red-lipped batfish waddles across the sea floor on its fins, searching for small sea creatures to eat. Other animals may fly or glide, or jet-propel themselves to get around. These creatures come equipped with legs, wings, or tentacles, and they often move from place to place in surprising ways. In the latest eye-catching escape into the kingdom of Animalia, Caldecott Ho ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Flying Frogs and Walking Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying Frogs and Walking Fish

Patti
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have you ever heard of a walking octopus or tiptoeing bat? A crab that can climb trees or a jet-propelled fish? Caldecott honor-winner Steve Jenkins and co-author Robin Page have once again found fascinating and unusual elements of the animal world to share with the youngest animal enthusiasts. Flying Frogs and Walking Fish focuses on animals that move in unusual ways. Written in expository nonfiction, Jenkins uses his signature torn- and cut-paper collage illustrations to bring each animal to l ...more
Annie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Steve Jenkins can do no wrong. Ever.
Barbara
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I keep wondering if Steve Jenkins is ever going to run out of ideas for his amazing nonfiction picture books, but he shows no sign of stopping. In his most recent title, he and his wife Robin Page have teamed up to explore the many ways that animals get from one place to another. The book is organized according to the way animals move, starting with walking and ending with jetting with brief stops along the way to meet animals that leap, swim, climb, fly, and roll. Choosing to begin with walking ...more
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really don't know how Steve Jenkins does it - this guy is a nonfiction book making machine!
Edward Sullivan
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great nature study for younger readers from these consistently excellent collaborators.
Megan Chan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Category: Informational

Flying Frogs and Walking Fish is an informational book about animals that walk, fly, swim, roll, and etc. This book teaches about the different animals that we would never think flies or swims but they do.

Overall, I really liked this book and I actually learned a lot about animals that I never knew could do certain things. I loved the vocabulary that it used like not just crab but it called it the coconut crab. These are things that can really teach children and personall
Nicole
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I absolutely loved this book. I use it with my preschool class when we are talking about animal movements and they love being surprised by things like a flying snake and a walking octopus. The mixture of more common animals with the more uncommon or not as well known animals is fantastic. It gives kids an opportunity to be exposed to things like a red lipped bat fish or a sea butterfly. I got this one form the library and immediately purchased the book after returning our borrowed one.
Nikki
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My 6 yr old and I both learned new things about many animals from this book! Even though I don't think it was the intention of the book - it seemed like a good reminder that things aren't always what they seem and everyone has different talents too.
Mary
An accessible nonfiction picture book by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page that uses striking collage illustrations and a highly informative narrative to explore animal mobility. A great addition to science units looking for accessible overviews on animal locomotion.
Nole
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This book is a great source for use with younger students and exploring many of the different features of our worlds creatures. I would love to use this book as a source during a science or biology lesson with my students.
Kelly
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great non-fiction picture book about unusual animal abilities.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book full of fascinating facts about how different animals and fish move around. Great illustrations and lots of great information at the back.
Seema Rao
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nature’s more surprising animals and their locomotion methods are described in simple text and finely-wrought collages.
Rani
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely lesson in locomotion.

#unusual #animal #locomotion #childrensbook #STEM #science
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical high-quality nonfiction by this duo!
Dolly
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are big fans of fun science books and we love to learn about new animals. This book nails it, showing how myriad animals manage to transport themselves in order to survive and thrive.

We had never even heard of several of the creatures included in this book and we were transfixed by the artful depictions of the creatures.

The short narration throughout the main pages is augmented at the end with a two-page spread which adds a short paragraph (in very small font) for each animal.

Steve Jenkins
Becky B
A survey of animals who employ some unusual forms of transportation like walking on fins, hopping amazing lengths, being secret swimmers or unusual climbers, gliding through the air, rolling around, or using jet propulsion in water.

A fascinating book including animals both well-known and rarely seen. All of them employ some unique transportation method, it may just be something they do occasionally or it may be their primary transportation method. The book is organized by transportation type. Th
Clare Rossetter
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book. How animals move intrigues students and the authors of this book do an excellent job of presenting how some animals move in surprising ways. The first pages draw the reader in with great pictures of a flying squirrel and a text that introduces this book with excitement. The last sentence" Have you ever seen..." sets up the reader to want to turn the page. The first animal is a common octopus who uses two legs to walk on the sea floor-who would have suspected this mode of movemen ...more
Margie
Walking past the glassed doors leading out to my deck and backyard Wednesday evening, I was greeted by an unexpected sight. Lying as peaceful as milk cows in a grassy meadow were two large deer. The closer of the two seemed to be in charge, ears and ears alert. The smaller deer was positioned in one of my raised gardens as if it was its own personal resting place. I imagine all the plants there have been consumed for a snack. The entire yard is surrounded by a chain link fence. When they leap ov ...more
Christy Bennett
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
1. No awards
2. K-3
3. This brightly illustrated informational text uses torn and cut paper collage to depict how much of the animal kingdom moves and gets around. Steve Jenkins brings his previous Caldecott honor talent to this book.
4. I absolutely loved all of the surprising ways that the animals depicted in this informational text moved around. Kids of all ages will love to learn how some fish seem to walk, and octopuses can hop! Steve Jenkins never disappoints.
5. This text could be used in a s
Erin
The cut paper illustrations manage to depict the detailed, beautiful animals in a stunning and realistic way. I tend to believe that Steve Jenkins could illustrate just about anything and it would be worth looking at. The information appeared in chunks of appropriate size for young listeners and the facts were engaging. It held the attention of my almost-three-year-old, whose favorite animal was the goat in the tree.
Nikki
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book packs a double-whammy. The first whammy is the way it presents information about animals, organizing them into groups, according to how they move. The second whammy is the illustration for each animal. Wow. I was really struck by the elephant swimming partially underwater, and how a strip of mossy green paper was used to convey the line of water. Genius! This book should be an essential title for every K-2 classroom library.
Sunday
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great for PreK-1 interactive read aloud that expands students' vocabulary. Animals that "walk" also tiptoe, waddle, stroll, and march. Animals that "jump" also pounce, spring, rocket, bound straight up, vault, flutter, burst. And more. So much potential fun and learning. The kind of book kids will want to hear read again and again. For older students, this book might launch further research or serve as a mentor text for layout and design as well as focused content.
Holly Mueller
Steve Jenkins and Robin Page keep finding new ideas about animals and nature to write about and illustrate. In this one, they explore unusual ways animals move. I love the "Whirling, tumbling, somersaulting..." pages. I also enjoyed seeing the tree-climbing goat. I had just watched a t.v. special about the tree goats of Morocco and Argan oil: http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/th... Fascinating!
Laura G
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Impressive that Steve Jenkins and Robin Page continue to come up with new topics for informational animal books that work! This one focuses on the different ways animals move. Their research into little known, specific creatures is amazing, as usual. Great for fascinating animal facts but also for building vocabulary, especially verbs having to do with movement.
Jesse
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would swear that several of these creatures don't exist except that they do! I'm inspired to do further research, especially on the hoatzin, a bird with an extra set of claws on its wings! Jenkins' illustrations are great, as always. I truly enjoyed this one.
Jennifer Heise
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My first-grade science fan pronounced this a five-star book. This a fun overview of many different animals and many different modes of movement, with clear, colorful illustrations. Could also be an inspiration for an animals-move activity.
Gps
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
an excellent instructive children's book on animals, and how they propel themselves.

informative illustrations. and i like that the animal s are divided by types of motion, rather than other characteristics.
Karen Arendt
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great nonfiction text by Steve Jenkins and his wife, Robin Page. This book would serve curious readers will and be a great launching off point on movement as well as animal research.
Miss Kelly
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this JNF book for NatureConnect program we do at the library. Great informational book. Easy to understand. Fun facts that kids would love.

• Hippos Are Huge!
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • Coyote Moon
  • Trapped!: A Whale's Rescue
  • Grand Canyon
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation
Steve was born in 1952 in Hickory, North Carolina. His father, who would become a physics professor and astronomer (and recently his co-author on a book about the Solar System), was in the military and, later, working on science degrees at several different universities. We moved often. Steve lived in North Carolina, Panama, Virginia, Kansas, and Colorado. Wherever he lived, he kept a menagerie of ...more