Start by marking “Gretchen Over the Beach” as Want to Read:
Gretchen Over the Beach

Gretchen Over the Beach

On a breezy summer day, Gretchen and her family head to the ocean. Gretchen wants to swim with her older brothers and sister, but everyone ignores her. When the wind steals her new sun hat, she catches it by its ribbon and is lifted into the sky, far, far above the beach, where a friendly seagull is happy to play. This ode to imagination is one of four small books each fea ...more
Published March 8th 2016 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Gretchen Over the Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gretchen Over the Beach

Jillian
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what I didn't love about this book, but there was something. Maybe the way the older siblings were "allowed" to just ignore Gretchen instead of spending any time at all with her, or how the only visible adult in the book is hidden behind a newspaper for the whole story.
I did like the point that it's possible to make your own fun.
Kimberly
May 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hmmm. This one didn't do much for me. I gather there are books about Gretchen's siblings so maybe I would like this one better if I had read those? Not sure. This one just seemed very dull.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Alley, R.W. Gretchen Over the Beach. PICTURE BOOK. Clarion Books, 2016. $14.99. Content: G.

Gretchen's siblings and parents ignore her when they go to the beach, so she realizes she has to make her own fun. When her hat blows away, she barely catches it and is lifted up into the sky. Thus begins her adventure.

This one was okay, but really nothing more than that. It felt forgettable, unexceptional, while my seven-year-old described it as "boring" and "annoying." If on the library shelves it might
Cristy
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gretchen is headed to the beach with her family on a windy day. She wants to play in the Ocean with her older brothers and sister, but since she is the youngest in the family no one pays attention to her. Her new hat blows away, and she must chase after it and so begins the adventure of her life. The story is a sweet tale about a little girl trying to find her place in the world amongst her older siblings. The author does a great job of depicting the characters and the illustrations are in earth ...more
Chelsea
I feel as though this book could have had a better beginning. I do not feel as though Gretchen's family would have ignored her completely, as it happened in the book. While I did appreciate the adventure that Gretchen went on with her roly-poly's (flying high in the sky, gliding through clouds, and meeting seagulls), I believe that the book would have been more enjoyable if the beginning of the book was altered.

+Book
-List
Caroline
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
When Gretchen goes to the beach, her siblings won't wait for and her hat gets picked up by the wind. But when Gretchen grabs the ribbon of her hat she gets swept up in the sky and flies up high in the clouds.

Colorful illustrations and simple text make for a fun read.
Debby Baumgartner
Gretchen is left alone on the beach by her brothers and sister. Then the wind blows her hat away and the adventure begins.
Ellen
Ahna
Nov 03, 2018
Robyn Bronson
Jan 31, 2018

R.W. Alley has illustrated more than one hundred children's books, including the popular Paddington Bear books by Michael Bond.

In 2010, he received a Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Award for Pearl and Wagner One Funny Day by Kate McMullan. In 2008, There’s a Wolf at the Door by Zoë B. Alley was selected as a Washington Post Best Book of the Year.

Mr. Alley’s newest books include: