Start by marking “Black River Falls” as Want to Read:
Black River Falls

Black River Falls

In a town without a memory, there’s one who can’t forget.

When a mysterious virus tears through the small town of Black River, it spares residents’ lives but takes something just as precious—their memories.

Six months later, the people of Black River are quarantined, surviving on rations, and policed by government forces. With their memories erased, they’ve all been
Published July 5th 2016 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Black River Falls, please sign up.

Start your review of Black River Falls
Ms. Yingling
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Black River Falls, New York has been beset by Lassiter's Viral Retrograde Amnesia and is quarantined. The National Guard is keeping the infected citizens inside a boundary, but sending help in the form of food and clothing. When the virus first hit, there was a lot of violence and confusion, but things have settled down. Sadly, anyone who caught Lassiter's has no memory of their previous life, although skills and general knowledge seem to be little affected
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.

This one was a bit of a letdown. The premise sounded awesome: a town under quarantine because of mysterious illness that wipes away your memory, a mysterious girl . . . it sounded very exciting. The problem was that everything was just blah. I have been saying that about a lot of books lately. Maybe it's them or maybe it's me. Who knows?

First of all, the mysterious girl didn't really move the plot along like the premise would
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Well, that was a little disappointing. This book and I got off on the wrong foot from the beginning and it picked up a bit but then crashed back down. I thought the premise was so interesting but the execution was lacking SOMETHING (like a more defined plot). I would suggest this one to people who don't mind following someone around without much purpose.

I requested this one based on premise because hello, science
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Review to come soon during the blog tour.
Christa Maurice
Aug 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really enjoyed it until the end. I had to suspend disbelief in how the quarantine was enacted (i.e. backward-the healthy were removed and the sick were left behind), but once I got past that I was really enjoying it…

Until the end when the wheels really fell off. The last chapter made no sense. Property issues were just dropped even though that was one of the main drivers to move the amnesiacs out of the town. The main character was just going to "take over" his father's ongoing series and
Austin N
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this book is awesome because it is very suspenseful and has you at the edge of your seat the whole time. A virus sweeps through a small town that is a very horrible virus it also takes away all their memories. It is a great book for those of you who like suspense because you don't know what's going to happen next and what the virus is going to destroy next. If you have read books about horrible things that wipe out tons of people then you would love this book. And one person has a ...more
Mary Ann
The town has become a place where groups roam trying to get dominance, the one kid who is uninfected and a group of other children who were infected are all hiding up at a camp, to be away from the predatory adults. The government came in to try and help but turned over everything to another group.

This book was assigned to my girls for their book club and at first, it seemed interesting, but as the time went on, I just couldn't get into and stay in the book.
Interesting and different sci-fi premise. Who are you when you forget who you are? What if you remember but no one else does? Great love given to libraries and comic books. Enjoyed the "Cardinal" sections.
Rebecca Weir
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the plot and the cover, I did not expect to go through the emotional journey that that I did. This book is literature disguised as popular fiction. Truly impressed. One of my favorites. I'm really surprised the reviews are so low. There are so many worse books with better reviews.
Michelle Hauck
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Review to come during the blog tour.
Brandon Moore
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Black River Falls is an enjoyable yet somewhat slow book. Cardinal, the main protagonist, is a teen who lives in a town called Black River Falls. The town was devastated by a plague that causes its victims to lose all memories. Cardinal is one of the last remaining “survivors” of this plague, yet stays in Black River Falls with his new friend Greer who used to be the school bully. After a while, a mysterious girl shows up who is given the name Hannah. Cardinal has to take extra precautions from ...more
Emily
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
♡ Neeka ♡
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely an interesting concept, rather than the entire world or country being included in the "dystopian" event, they narrowed it down to a single town cut off from the rest of the world. I enjoyed this book but it won't make it into my top list. I liked Card, he seemed like he had a more realistic view of the situation in Black River than most other people did, especially for being a teenager. I feel like the author could have done a better job including the fact that the main character was ...more
Emily
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
While it has been quite a while since I’ve read The Eleventh Plague, I instantly felt a familiarity to Black River Falls.
While it wasn’t the best book, it definitely isn’t the worst.
The writing, it felt like a haze, but not in a bad way. Like I was there and not. Like I was living the book and just reading it. It made me feel Cardinal, see what was happening, believe it.
The characters were interesting and I loved Card. He will stick with me for a long time.
While the ending was a little too
Patrick
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Young At Heart Reader
Typically I'm not into the whole slight dystopia, virus spreading kinds of book and this one isn't an exception. There were good ideas here, and the tone and style is very competent. It just wasn't the genre I'm usually interested in. Again I found myself liking the side characters more than the protagonist, who was very underwhelming.

It also took more than 2/3rds of the book for the plot to really get moving and that really is too long to wait. The majority of the book has such meandering pace
Drucilla
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: h
Hirsch takes a different angle with this book in that he focuses more on what memory is and the absence of it rather than a survival/conspiracy plot. It ends up working very well. I also liked how everything played out, mostly because I agree with the message. I probably wouldn't have like the book as much if it had ended with (view spoiler)
Nathaniel
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to read this book. I got it for a couple dollars and it revolves around a setting that appeals to me a lot. The reviews were very eh so I wasn’t sure if I would like it but this story was so full of heart that I couldn’t help falling in love. Amazing characters, heartbreaking flashbacks, and a strong plot all pulled together in this book. I can’t wait to read more from this author.
BluJade
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sickness, library, poc
Tammie
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I think this is a great young adult and adult book alike. There is happy moments between the characters, and sad ones you are not sure if you want to keep reading, but decide that you want to know what happens next. I thought this was a great twist on the subject of losing one's mind. Learning to be someone now from what you used to be!
Christopher Ottinger
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really did like this book it was very intriguing to me. The suspense gets you on the edge of your seat and I like that feeling. I felt like it was a easy read and that I could follow along very well. The only thing is that the beginning of the book is just a little slow but after that the book is really good.
Karrie Stewart
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book for my libraries "YA for 21 and older book club".

A different take on the quarantine story. Finally, a "zombie" story without flesh eating zombies! A bitter sweet story that makes you question your own actions when a memory erasing virus hits town.
Kirsten Dickerson
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
This one just wasn't for me, but I could see a young teen liking it who is into comics and Avengers and all that jazz.
Riley
Oct 16, 2019 added it
3/5 I didn't like the structure of the writing.
Alice
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay. Some parts it got really confusing like the girl who was infected and the creepy dude slightly confused me. Overall it was good but i did get bored. Nice idea for a story.
Ashley
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Told about a future that could happen.
Jan
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Everything came together in the end, but it was a long hard road to get there. And seriously, how many times can this poor kid pass out at the end of a chapter?
Chuck Ledger
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty solid, but nothing special. It reminded me of playing an alpha test of a game. Interesting but didn't feel finished/polished.
Krista Stevens
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting premise that virus infects a town and takes away its memories. Lots of holes (no one is going to let some adolescents care for "orphaned" kids because the shelters are too dangerous - this is still America) - but really nice writing - this is not just a plot story - lots of layers for characters (Cardinal's back story is well-told). Kids who like the Marvel world will most likely enjoy this book.

Possible Summer Reading for Grade 9 - Why do our choices matter?
Beth
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the concept of this book. Unlike a lot of dystopian YA novels, this is not the entire world, but just a quarantined portion impacted by a virus outbreak. While I found the overall resolution of the characters predicament predictable, I enjoyed the fact that 1) the main character was bi-racial and 2) it successfully wove present happenings, flashbacks and the protagonist's visions of his father's comic book heroes into the story. I also liked the parallel universes of the comic ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect title 3 165 Apr 05, 2016 05:32AM

• Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science
  • Creatures of the Below
  • A Wolf Called Wander
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • 48 Hours
  • Takeoffs and Landings
  • Arabella of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #1)
  • Nightmare Academy (Veritas Project, #2)
  • The Disasters
  • Down with the Shine
  • Inkling
  • The Passion of Jesus Christ
  • Mars One
  • The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth
  • Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls
  • The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows (Dam Keeper, #3)
  • 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
  • The Cage (The Cage, #1)
Here are some things about me.

I live in an extremely Brazilian section of an extremely Greek neighborhood—Astoria, Queens, which is just to the right of Manhattan. (That's as you face Manhattan. If you were, say, lying on your back in the middle of Central Park with your head in a northerly position, we would be to your left) I live there with my wife who has a blog and our two cats who do not.