Start by marking “Outbreak (The Fringe, #3)” as Want to Read:
Outbreak (The Fringe, #3)

Outbreak

(The Fringe #3)

When Harper and Celdon escaped to compound 119, they thought they had a chance to start a new life away from Constance. What they found instead was a desolate wasteland ravaged by death.

Now, they have no choice but to return to their home compound, where things have never been worse. The drifters are plotting a large-scale attack out on the Fringe, and Jayden is speeding u
Kindle Edition
Published July 14th 2015 (first published July 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Outbreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outbreak

Catherine Chestnut
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This series started off great. I loved the concept of the Compound vs the Fringe. Harper and Eli are HOT. This author keeps things moving. I finished the book in less than 24 hours. The author actually researches a lot to create the futuristic circumstances and world in this series. I love her discriptions of technology, medical ventures, and political setup of the compound.
However book 3 was filled with the same sequences of events. Jayden threatens, Eli lies, make out scene, Harper acts wounde
Audrey Ainsworth
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to receive a copy Outbreak and continue the Fringe series. I hated the cliffhanger at the end of the second book. I had so many questions and no answers but that just meant another book had to come out and explain some of these questions. Outbreak did not disappoint. It took me a little over 7 hours to complete the book and of course it ended with a cliffhanger and more questions but that's okay for me.

Tarah Benner pulls the reader along with vivid descriptions of the people an
Shelves: favorites
Mollie  Smith
Confused about timelimes

I like the premises a lot. The story has great bones and lots of action. I have some complaints though... (Spoilers)

How old is Eli?? The first book mentioned him seeing Harper in the maturity ward as a baby. He joined the compound at 14. The age difference is only weird because it hasn't been mentioned, IMO. Its like the author has tried to change the timeline somehow. He is supposed to be a young training officer, right? But the Recon turnaround plus he isn't supposed to
Adam Palmer
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outbreak is the third book in the Fringe series. The writing and story line seems tighter then the second book and it kept my interest throughout. Outbreak takes up where the second book left off. Eli and Harper work to save the life of Owen (Eli's brother) after they are sent out to kill him. While on the fringe they discover a plot that could be the end of the compound. I recommend this book and series. I still have a slight problem with the kiss me don't kiss me element but maybe that just ad ...more
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This was probably my least favorite in the series thus far. I'm feeling underwhelmed at events outside the compound and events inside are becoming stale and repetitive. There's only so much I can take of a villain who constantly gets up to the same old evil deeds yet never gets what's coming to her.

The actions of Harper and Eli are also starting to become annoying. Lie to each other, obtain hurt feelings, stalk off, make up, make out, lather, rinse, repeat....

I'm ready for a big event. Hopeful
Angela
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Storyline

The story and the characters I LOVE! I get all caught up in it! I gave 4 stars bc I started skimming alot through this book, felt like there were alot of paragraphs I didnt need to read and skimmed until it got back to the heart of the story. As soon as I started tk thi k I was losing interest however I found myself completely sucked back in lol! Again, I enjoy this series, am downloading the next book, I just felt there were alot of details I didnt want.
Shannon Heck
Getting old

I'm knocking this book down a star because it start to get repetitive. Eli and Parker keep things from each other, they fight, they make up, repeat. I'm on the fence about reading book 4.
Sheila gullick
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book

Pretty good book. This series is really good. Great story line. Always something happening. Full of twist and turns. Ready for the next one
Michelle
*3.5

There was a lot of action and plot twists. I like that this book is not predictable. It would have been a 4, but it was too slow at times.
Dodiegregoire
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I am enjoying this book series. Will read other books by this author.
Destiny Ciera
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could look up and write down every good word in the dictionary in every language and it would not be enough to describe the amazingness that is this series!!! By far hands down my FAVORITE series I have ever read. I started it for the first time in October 2015. It is now June 2016 and I have read through the entire first four books a total of 3 times already and am on pins and needles waiting for book 5 to release in two weeks!!!!

There is a lot of profanity in this book and I don't like profa
S Lewis
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outbreak is the third book in The Fringe series, and while we get to find out what really happened at Compound 119, we also see that Jayden suddenly doesn't seem to have any teeth--even though Eli still believes she does. She seems almost "nice" compared to her previous behavior. Everybody else is so caught up in what they believe is true that they have a hard time seeing what is really going on. I'm starting to get to the point where I am shouting at the characters 'don't do it!', like when you ...more
Vtveganmom
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read the first two books in The Fringe series from Tarah Benner, I strongly urge you to get them. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of Outbreak (book 3), and it definitely did not disappoint -- it is a heart-pounding nail-biter of a story.

Tarah's writing pulls you in from the start; her descriptions of environment and physical surroundings are so detailed that you can really envision the world she is creating. Be sure to read her "Author's Note" at the end of the story,
Kathi Kelley
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best of the three books so far! The story flowed smoothly and continues to be full of many twists and turns. Ms. Benner continues with great descriptions of the environment and physical surroundings such that you have no difficulty envisioning the world she has created. All of the characters have become three dimensional. The chapters alternate primarily between Eli and Harper with an occasional chapter of Celdon or Sawyer. Eli and Harper are still struggling with their emerging relationship ...more
Patricia Thomas
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Gah! This series... book 3, Outbreak, started off exactly how I wanted it too. I find it less enjoyable when an author decides to get others up to speed on what has already happened in the previous books. I understand why they do it, it just makes me want to pull my hair out. ha ha Tarah Brenner does NOT do that in Outbreak. Thank you, gurrrllll!

cliff hangers...they are bittersweet to me. I love the anticipation of the next book, but at the same time, I want to cry. I LOVE HARPER RILEY. She is
Stacey
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this 4 stars (would give it 3.5 if I could) but definitely considered making it 3 (I stopped myself because this was still miles better than the 1st book for me). I feel Jayden's threats and Harper's butt hurt attitude and annoying decisions are getting a little tiring. But I did like the introduction of Celdon as a narrator. I still think all the POV voices sound too much alike but it's not as monotonous as it could be. Celdon and Eli are my favorites, though even Eli was getting annoyi ...more
Donna
Shelves: dystopian
If you have read the first two you must get this one. If you haven't, go get them now! This is one of the better dystopian series out there.
Very exciting, action packed. Out on the Fringe together Eli and Harper look for his brother among the drifters, trying not to get found out and killed. They want to tell him something important for all their lives. But brother Owen has something to surprise them with too.

The writing is so good, filled with excellent dialog. The fear is real, within the comp
Jessica
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best in the series so far! So it took me a little while to get into Book 1. Book 2 was easier. Seriously, this third book is amazing. It's so very well done. There were points where I thought it was going to turn into wondering if Harper and Eli would stay together and annoying fights every five seconds, but it blew past them. I wasn't rolling my eyes and I was excited to see how they progressed. I hope maybe in the next book that Harper gets thrown out into the Fringe on her own. Not to die or ...more
Vindya Donahue
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible wild ride. I enjoyed this beautiful sequel to Reckon and Exposure . Once I started this book, I could not put it down.
What made this book for me.
1. The Realistic approach to this beautiful distopian story.
2. The heart pounding suspense throughout this book
3. The twists and surprises, Celdon???
4. The fuzzy wuzzy love story between Eli and Harper
5. The relationship between Owen and Eli.
One would think why the hell do these two still remain in the compound after being condemned
Cindy Woods
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After receiving an advance copy for review, I can honestly say this is one of the most exciting, action-packed, intelligent, edgy books I've ever read in this genre. This series by Benner is so creative I couldn't put it down. This is a must read series....the chemistry between Riley and Eli is palpable! There are no dead spots in the writing....It flows while telling this gripping story with twists and turns you will not expect. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Wouldn't be surprised if it became a movie.
Fragmentage
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read the first three books of this series (Recon, Exposure and Outbreak) in less than a week and enjoyed myself immensely. The Fringe series blends elements of other post-apocalyptic and dystopian novels (Divergent, Wool to only name two) I've read into a convincing (at least most of the time, it has some issues in terms of logic and plausibility) tale that has it all: tough guys, brave girls, true friendship, forbidden love, corrupt leaders and a terrifying outside-world. I'll definitely b ...more
Karen Wolf
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tarah Benner does it again and I can't wait for book number four! The third book in the Fringe series is just as suspenseful as the first two, but she still manages through all that action to really develop all of her characters. I love that Sawyer and Celdon get to tell their points of view, yet the main focus is still on Harper and Eli. And I am serious, I don't want to wait too long to see what happens, the ending is a real cliffhanger...I hope you are writing Tarah ;)
Theresa Rogers
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where to start...First of all, Tarah Benner is a phenomenal story teller. I easily get lost in her books and end up staying up way too late. Outbreak was no different. I was instantly transported to Eli and Harper's world. Their "maybe" love story is one I am obsessed with. without spoiling it for everyone, let's just say they are exactly the type of characters I root for.

Love this book and I am already ready to see what book 4 has in store!
Michelle McPherson
Outbreak Fringe BK 3

Wow! The twists and turns are sure to keep you on your toes. Real issues in tunes of crisis could very well define our main characters love story. The issues are believable and a real treat is to read the author's rearward notes and opinions at the end of each book. That is some scary stuff! Although this is but just one possible scenario of what could happen, I think it would be worse than what is presented here. Book 4 here I come!
Michele Porter
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great, but I thought it was the last book in the series. There are so many trilogies out there I just assumed. I was about 3/4 of the way through it when I came to the realization that there was no way the story was going to be wrapped up by the end of this book. Now I have to wait for the next one to be released. Ugg! I can't wait to see how things are going to play out in the next book.
nicole watson
The best

By far one of the best reads! I found myself wondering what was going to happen while I was at work, and once I was clocked out I was reading non stop, now what will I do until the fourth book comes out????
Tarah Is a wonderful writer who knows how to captivate her audience and keep them wanting more, I read the defector series in 3 days and fell in love.
I can't wait to find out if Eli & Harper can mange their love and be together #TeamTarahBenner!!
Crystal Rogers
Awesome Series

Anyone and everyone should read The Fringe series. I expected it to be a trilogy like The Defectors trilogy (also a must read), but Tarah Benner is continuing on leaving us hanging for a fourth book. Anyone who likes post-apocalyptic stories should read this series. Often there seems to be a clear right or wrong side to be on, but in The Fringe series nothing is black or white. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. Totally worth buying!
Kayla
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than I expected!!

I loved it!!! I waited anxiously for the release of Outbreak (today!) and read it in one sitting. If you loved the first two books in The Fringe series, Outbreak will not disappoint!!! I was really happy with the turn Eli and Harpers relationship took. We really get to see a different side of Eli and that was refreshing! I cannot wait for book 4!!
Alesha
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series! I was so excited when the third book came out so as to get all my questions answered. What came as a surprise is that there is yet another continuation!!! Love the characters and story line. And it definitely ends with a huge cliff hanger!!! Can not wait for the next book in the series! This one had me reading from beginning to end without a break. Just couldn't put it own!

• The Future Without Hope (The World Without End #3)
  • State of Chaos (Collapse, #2)
  • Ordinary (Exceptional, #3)
  • Severance (Linx, #2)
  • Denounced (Exalted, #2)
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Surge (Wheezers #1)
  • Eden's Root (Eden's Root Trilogy, #1)
  • Save Me (Life After the Outbreak #1)
  • Dissidence (Dissidence, #1)
  • Radicals (Blood and Fire, #2)
  • Love in the Time of the Dead (Dead Rapture, #1)
  • Safe
  • Backs Against the Wall (Survival, #2)
  • Love and Decay, Episode Two (Love and Decay, #2)
  • Driven (The Warrior, #2)
  • The Girl Who Punched Back (Death Fields, #2)
  • Tent City (Tent City #1)
Tarah Benner is the author of The Fringe, the Elderon Chronicles, the Lawless Saga, and other dystopian novels for adults. Her specialties include badass heroines, tormented heroes, and totally binge-worthy end-of-world stories. Contrary to popular belief, Tarah does not transmit her books from a secret underground bunker. She lives and writes in Colorado Springs with her two dogs, a cat, and her ...more

The Fringe (5 books)
  • Recon (The Fringe, #1)
  • Exposure (The Fringe, #2)
  • Lockdown (The Fringe, #4)
  • Annihilation (The Fringe, #5)