Start by marking “The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)” as Want to Read:
The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)

The Scandal at 23 Mount Street

(Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)

When an unwelcome figure from her past turns up unexpectedly, Angela Marchmont has no idea that she is about to become the most notorious woman in Britain. Forced to reveal secrets she has kept to herself for many years and which she had thought were safely buried, Angela faces a fight for her very life which she looks almost certain to lose without the help of the man she ...more
Published July 11th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Scandal at 23 Mount Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scandal at 23 Mount Street

Start your review of The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)
Elisa
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Angela Marchmont's adventures. Everything about them, from the tight plots to the wonderful descriptions of the lives of wealthy people back then. This one is my new favorite, because Angela gets to be involved in a whodunit in a role that she has never known. Now, the stakes are raised and there is a payoff besides guessing the culprit. Secrets about her are revealed. Some, I kind of guessed, others were surprising. I am sad that there is only one more book after this. This is ...more
ShanDizzy
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy! Angela on trial for murder?!?! I thought she put them away! Of course, we know that she didn't do it but the telling of it was riveting and un-put-downable!!!! And now, the truth comes out about Angela's past. Boy! What a doozy!
Damaskcat
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angela Marchmont finds herself on the wrong side of the law in this exciting story in which someone she definitely doesn't want to see reappears in her life and threatens her security. Unfortunately the one person who could save her is unlikely to want to do so and she has no means of contacting him. It is a race against time in which Angela's friends looks certain to lose and the book keeps you on the edge of your seat until almost the end.

This is the penultimate volume in the Angela Marchmont
Andrea
This is an example of a plot where I will never enjoy the set up (and indeed tend to skim through it), but then will happily read through the story once we get past the 'lowest point' that inevitably comes along with this particular plot.

This is not quite the resolution of the series - there's one more yet to be released, which I shall pick up and enjoy in due course.

In terms of Golden/Silver Age mysteries - well, for a start, despite the authorial bio, I'm fairly certain this is a modern book,
Debbie
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't even express exactly how excited I was to get an email yesterday that the new Angela Marchmont book was ready! Rarely have I loved a book series as much as I love this one, and this newest book...the best yet!
Angela herself is the victim in this book, and what a thrilling ride it was, right to the conclusion! It shocked me several times, completely surprised me, and made me cry at least twice. It had many of the characters I've grown to love, a great mystery, and even though it was much
Balaji
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The book is so wonderfully written and I loved every page of it, cover to cover. In the books that I have read in this genre (detective fiction) there is no drama or emotion, just pure wit (as one would expect), the detective solves the mystery through his ingenious methods and the criminal is brought to justice. Not this one! Angela is put in prison and she has to prove her innocence or she will be dead before christmas.

The book starts with an unexpected visit from a person whom she loves

Susan
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is nearly impossible to describe this book without spoiling the plot. So I will just say that Angela's past comes back to visit her and her life becomes very complicated. We learn more of her history and a surprise is revealed (at least it was a surprise to me!) Her old frenemy Edgar also makes an appearance. This was a fascinating book - I stayed awake all night because I couldn't bear to put it down without finding out what would happen.
Sherry Cross
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just the best, so far

Scandal @ 23 Mount Street is the 9th of the Angela Marchmont series, and byvfar the best yet. Angela winds up on trial for the murder of her worthless husband, and the scramble to save her from conviction and the gallows brings Edgar Valencourt to her rescue. Only now HE is in prison and awaiting the gallows. It will be interesting to read the final book in the series.
Wendy Menninger
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book revealed so much about the main character. You finally feel like the real Angela Marchmont is here. You, do however feel the pain of this very private person when all is exposed. Not a light novel like previous ones, but much more depth.
Cindy Chambers
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a deliciously intriguing tale

This one was unexpected on my part; who would think Angela would herself be in trouble! It certainly had me guessing if she could figure her way out.
Emily
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the Angela Marchmont books and this was no exception even though it was a completely different turn. Darker and more romantic. One more to go.
Nicole Shames
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book

This was probably the best of the series so far! So sad that book9 is the last. Going to dive right into it now that this one is finished...
Johnna
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Have read them all. Highly recommend.
ELzabeth Livingstone
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good tale

After reading mostly medieval books lately I really enjoyed this latest escapade of the heroine and look forward to the next Angela adventure.
Cathy
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This was different because Angela was charged with murder and her friends had to try to solve the crime. It was not as fun having Angela behind bars.
Leanne Pazik
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh this one was good, but didn’t like the ending!!!

I can’t ruin it BUT with ALL the people Angela has helped through 9books!! Her friends and loved ones should have helped her!!
Sharon Stine
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seldom in a mystery is the main character in this position and it kept getting more complicated.
Cathy Anne
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Marchmont

I couldn’t put it down!!! So good. The way the plot turns and twists, you never really know half the time what is going on. Onto the next book!!!
Gabi Eagon
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very good story

Almost didn't read it because I hate courtroom drama. I'm glad I did. I am sorry to know that book 10 will be the last of this series. I'm not happy how it ended but maybe book 10 will answer my questions.
Whistlers Mom
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Angela Marchmont has lived her adult life in a decidedly unconventional manner, and yet she is unmistakably a well-bred woman raised in a wealthy family in pre-WWI England. That combination of recklessness and reticence makes her fascinating, but in this book it almost gets her hanged.

Previous books have hinted at her past, but in this one the past catches up to and almost destroys her. Sitting in a cell awaiting trial, the celebrated amateur detective is powerless to track down the person who's
Pauline Ross
The ninth and penultimate outing in the Angela Marchmont series of murder mysteries set in the twenties is a complete change of pace. After the light-hearted, almost flippant, tone of the last few books, suddenly life takes a very grave turn for Angela, when her past comes back to haunt her and she has a fight for her very life on her hands.

The mystery this time isn’t so much in whodunit, which is almost incidental, but how on earth Angela is going to get out of the mess she’s in. I don’t think
Rosemary
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ah hah! I knew that at some point in this series, we'd have to find out some of amateur detective Angela Marchmont's secrets: namely, what happened to *Mister* Marchmont? What did Angela do in the United States that made her so wealthy? Whatever happened to her sometime-love interest, jewel thief Edgar Valencourt? Well, this ninth book in the recently discovered Golden Age series pretty much clears up all of the mysteries about Angela herself.

As an actual mystery novel, though, it's not really
Melissa
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, the arc of the story of the protagonist is becoming clearer. The plot deals with unsatisfactory relationships between men and women, unsatisfactory men, and the problems of unwed mothers ...

Many of the revelations in the book are about the past life of Angela Marchmont. She spends much of the book sitting in jail, accused of murdering her not-quite ex-husband who was shot in her flat. She has an alibi ... but it doesn't help her as her alibi is a known jewel thief who is wanted in several
JK
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good Book Great Series

I have read all the Angela Marchmont series, except the last which I cannot wait for it to be released. This book did not disappoint. In this book Angela is seen in a more vulnerable light. I enjoyed this divergence from the normal story lines. I also enjoyed learning more about the character and her secrets. If you have enjoyed other books in this series, I think you'll really enjoy this installment.
Betty
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angels runs into a great deal of trouble when a couple of the men in her past life show up in London. When one of them is murdered, it looks like the full weight of the law is going to come down on this lady who helped solve so many mysteries for Scotland Yard. But will she be able to get to the bottom of this particular situation. The ending leaves us begging for more.
Marley
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angela Angela Angela (or should I say Clara Clara Clara) what have you done. I'm still holding out that you're playing a trick on us. Whatever, it's great to learn more about Angela's pre-detective life.
Doris
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Too easy

Didn't like Edgar was disposed of so conveniently.seemed like his death by shooting by police was a quick solution to the end of theirrelationship
Kathryn Howell
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great series!

Can't wait to read the next in the series! Angela Marchmont is a great character. Hoping for really good things in the last book. Hate to see it end.
Ann
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this as well as the previous tales.
Scot
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Ninth in the series. All of the backstory on Angela starts to emerge in this one, as her husband from America suddenly shows up with whiskey on his breath, demanding more money. He's later found by Angela, shot in the head, lying on the floor behind the couch in her locked flat. The trial could lead to Angela's hanging, but she's honor bound n0ot to reveal her alibi. How can Angela's friends and loved ones help her?

I didn't like this one as much--I think it's because I had my own sense of

• The Curse of Braeburn Castle (Heathcliff Lennox #3)
  • Murder in the Shadows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #16)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
  • Murder on Skiathos (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 8)
  • Too Many Lies (Cherringham #35)
  • Mydworth Mysteries - A Little Night Murder (A Cosy Historical Mystery Series Book 2)
  • Kennington House Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #2)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • Murder & The Heir (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #1)
  • Murder by Plum Pudding (Ginger Gold Mysteries #11)
  • House Party Murder Rap (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 1)
  • The Burning Issue of the Day (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #5)
  • The Case at Barton Manor (Mrs. Lillywhite Investigates Book 1)
  • A Merry Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #4)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Angela Marchmont Mystery (10 books)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 4)
  • The Incident at Fives Castle (Angela Marchmont Mystery #5)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
  • The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)