Start by marking “Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1” as Want to Read:
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1

(Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1)

The origin of Daredevil is retold by legends Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.! What led Matt Murdock on the path to becoming the Man Without Fear?
Published by Marvel (first published October 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daredevil

Lydia
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ah, Frank Miller.

So we meet again. How I've missed your gritty writing, your characters that are almost camp and, at times, have totally unclear motivations. Miller's writing has this strange tenor, like he doesn't have to explain anything, he doesn't owe you anything.

I've never liked the way he wrote women, not even when I was a little girl. He's problematic as all hell as an author but look at the content he's inspired. (Okay, forgetting the movie with Ben Affleck completely...) the Netflix s
Sedef Tekiner
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frank Miller desen zaten konuşmaya gerek kalmaz ama bu çizgi romanda daha da öne çıkan şey kesinlikle çizimler ve renklendirme. Harikaydı. Puan kırmamın tek sebebi Stan Lee'nin orijin hikayesinde olduğu gibi bu hikayede Jack ve Matt arasındaki baba-oğul ilişkisi detaylı işlenememişti. Onunla kıyasladım 4 verdim ^_^
Michael
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re retelling a characters origin there are so many ways to screw it up, but Frank Miller does it right. It’s a dark and gritty tale enhanced by some brilliant artwork. As a Miller fan, there’s nothing about this that I don’t like and as a newer Daredevil fan it makes me want to explore the entire history of this character. That what I loved about this first issue. If you aren’t a Daredevil or even a Marvel fan, you will be after this first issue.

We all know who this character is, but t
Nick Veldey
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first issue of The Man Without Fear paints a vivid picture of Hell's Kitchen as seen through the eyes of a young Matt Murdock. We are introduced to Matthew, his blind mentor Stick and Matt's father "Battlin'" Jack Murdock who is probably my favorite secondary character. Author Frank Miller does an excellent job characterizing these three especially when it comes to Matt after he is blinded. John Romita Jr.'s artwork works very well with Frank Miller's writing; the writing is very rough, very ...more
The
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full review at http://atg-reviews.com/books-and-comi...

Frank Miller’s Daredevil: The Man Without Fear begins the origin story of Matt Murdock, the man who would eventually become known as the Daredevil. I’m not the biggest fan of the Daredevil character, especially since my introduction to him was the 2003 Daredevil movie starring Ben Affleck. But this is a pretty strong comic, even though the plot was used for the first half of the before-mentioned movie. A lot of the little things that didn’t
Kaotic
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I have and always will love Frank Miller's writing. There is a reason he's one of the biggest comic book author names there are out there. And this was no exception.

By now most of us already knew Mat Murdocks life story (I hated the movie, but am loving the Netflix series), but this is a wonderful telling of it. The defined voice speaks throughout and consistently. The art is an excellent example of how much motion and emotion in just the inks, and how much more powerful they are when you get d
Shannon
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-books, graphics
John
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Nothing not to like about this tale of young Matt Murdocks life growing up in Hells Kitchen.The artwork is exceptional.The struggle of Matt as a young child blinded in a horrible accident is told in a very heartfelt way.This first volume is a strong reminder in why i hold Daredevil comics in such high regard.
Kurt Vosper
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Frank Miller has written some of my favourite stories in comics, and this is definitely one of them. The novel takes us from young Matt Murdock, pre accident and up and into his first meeting with Electra, his first adventures as a hero and the first time he crosses the Kingpin. This book would be a great read for fans of the Netflix TV series. Fantastic artwork compliments a masterful story.
Laura Ferreira
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
Definitely the best Daredevil Origin, if you're a fan of the vigilante then it's a must read.
If you are reading this because you liked the Netflix series, I must warn you it's different. Not good different or bad different, simply different.
Anna-Maria Morgenstern
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the Netflix show, and I am kind lf ashamed to say that this is my first Daredevil Comic, but I am all the more excited.
I loved everything about this. The writing, the art, everything.
I am so looking forward to the next few in the series!
William Adams
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With a work like this it's easy to see how Frank Miller rewrote the face of comics during the 80's. Not only is it leagues ahead of anything from the time period, but it's better than most comics being written today.

Just ignore the man behind the book and enjoy it for what it is.
Parker
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Up there with Superman: Birthright and Batman: Year One as definitive, thorough origin stories that vividly rebuild the character from the ground up. A particularly good read for new fans of the Netflix series(which is heavily inspired by this specific book) who aren't big into comics otherwise.
Carol
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Very exciting read. The TV show took its inspiration from this book.
Tyler Puryear
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sooo entertaining
Jesse Deschamp
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Made me fall in love with Daredevil. An incredible origin take.
Bodea
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice narrative and I love the art and colors.
Apoorva
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A great introduction.
Steven
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting beginning to the resetting of Daredevil's origin story...
Hanna Bork
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a gritty and tangible satisfaction of a graphic novel. It is nice to have such clear villains and heroes.
Stefu Smith
Enjoying this story so far! I don't actually know much about Daredevil, so this is fun. I'm a fan of Frank Miller, and he hasn't disappointed with this one.
Chloe
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the Daredevil TV show so I thought I'd give the comics a go! Loving them so far!
Allie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really good! Not the hugest fan of the art style, but I thought the storyline was good. I love the Daredevil show, so it was nice to delve more into his backstory.
Morgan
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Counted as vol 1. (#1-5)
Andrew Lovell
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
How Matt Murdock came to have his super powers.
Justin

• Hero Tales from American History
  • Man from the South
  • Boys and Girls
  • The Looking Glass
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (5 books)
  • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #2