Start by marking “Daughters of Arkham (Daughters of Arkham, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Arkham (Daughters of Arkham, #1)

Daughters of Arkham

(Daughters of Arkham #1)

In Arkham, Massachusetts, the line between the haves and the have-nots is steeped in colonial tradition that stretches back over four hundred years. The Daughters of Arkham, a secret society of wealthy women, stand at the center of it all. On the surface, their power is assured by blood and money. Beneath it, they hold pacts with strange entities beyond the understanding o ...more
Published October 2nd 2015 by Th3rd World Studios

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Arkham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughters of Arkham

Start your review of Daughters of Arkham (Daughters of Arkham, #1)
Leila
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are young adults dealing with young adult problems in this story... but alongside that, young adults dealing with extremely adult (and horrifying) problems. This story is a wonderful blend of YA fiction and eldritch horror, with characters that are easy to relate to... and grow attached to. I'm not familiar with every YA book out there by any means, but nearly all of the teenagers in this story are as complex as any adult, and I feel like that's actually not all that common in YA books (br ...more
Dhiraj Bharude
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Books like Daughters of Arkham are the reason I fell in love with reading. The story sucks you in very early on, and I found myself completely unable to think about anything else until I finished it, stealing every free second I had to just read one page! The dialogue and internal struggles of the main characters feel genuine, and they don't seem dumbed down like we so often see in YA fiction, which makes it a story that I'd reccomend to anyone over 12, not 12-18.
The storyline has some moments t
Nicole Sharer
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed Daughters of Arkham.
It was a pleasure getting lost in the beautiful scenery and rich history of this magically constructed otherworldly town; through truth be told if it were a tangible place to visit I don't know if I would step foot there, not after what I know now.

The story is told in 3rd person with many shorter chapters, most of which are dedicated to each individual character. "One more chapter" can be a dangerous game sometimes, haha. This approach gives you an intere
Arcade Reads
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you hear the term, "Young Adult" with regards to book series, it is usually steeped in images of the Twilight or Divergent series. What Justin Robinson has been able to do is give us (the readers) a fully thought-out story about young people that is both real and engaging.

Daughters of Arkham is one of those books that pulls you in from the very start! Abigail Thorndike , is an intriguing and genuine character who you want to want to see return in future books! And the town of Arkham itself
Lenissa Davis
Amazing

What did I just read? This book was absolutely amazing. Words can't begin to describe how I feel about this book. I read a lot of YA and this book is different from the rest. It's unlike any book I ever read from the genre. The characters felt real, they weren't perfect. The ending, man that ending. I need to know what's going to happen next.
Malynnda Johnson
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous YA book. I started it in the summer but misplaced it. Then I picked it back up and could put it down! I want book two!!!!
Kayt Free
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Daughters of Arkham is the first book I've read in my adult life that I couldn't pick up before bedtime because I would either: read until 3am before I realized NO I HAVE TO STOP. I HAVE TO BE UP IN A FEW HOURS, or, if I did manage to pry myself away, couldn't sleep not from fear (though there is horror) but curiosity. DOA is the type of book that reminds me why I love reading so much.

Some others have commented that they were scared. I suppose I'm a little dark myself because it was the dark par
J. Ringo
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another gripping book by Robinson! With its mix of H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, Daniel Handler (think of The Basic Eight, not A Series of Unfortunate Events), and Roman Polanski, all mixed with a YA setting, it's a truly unique achievement. As someone who is, by all objective measures, too old to care about a group of 14-16 year old kids, I really wasn't too interested in this book and only read it because I'm a fan of Robinson's previous work (on a related note, I was previously unfamiliar wit ...more
Danielle Morales
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Edge of my seat through the whole book, but not in a painful way. In a "holy crap, where is this going and this is awesome" kind of way. That doesn't give you much about the story...but I think that's okay because I didn't know anything going into the book and I was pleasantly entertained by the turns the story took.

Can't wait for the next book! :D
Mrs. Jones
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bough my book at the Gen Con and could not put it down. It's captivating and amazingly creative!
Megan
I genuinely can't wait to read the next one!
Jessica Peveler
Very enjoyable addition to the Lovecraft universe. I was continually intrigued by where the plot was going and how dark it would get, given the age of the main characters and nature of the plot. Great balance, in the end. Looking forward to sequels.

Two drawbacks: authors' real-world references (stores, television, etc.) was out of place and interrupted the feel of the Arkham setting. Also, there were many editing and formatting errors (Kindle) that were distracting--probably the worst case I've
Adam Shilling
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book is very well written. The character development throughout the story makes the reader truly care what will happen by the end. While the story for the most part seems like it will resolve all questions by the finale it leaves a great ending that leaves the reader excitedly waiting for the nect installment of the series.
Lena
Mar 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Seriously disappointing. Promising story, but very juvenile, boring characters and not enough depth.
Katrina Roets
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you're handed a book and it turns out to be nothing like you were expecting. That's what happened to me with Daughters of Arkham. For some reason, I was expecting something a bit more Batman related. I blame that on the fact that when I think Arkham, I think Arkham Asylum and that I picked this book up from the author at a convention. My brain was firmly in comic mode.

This book is not that. It's a very well written Young Adult horror novel. So well written that as someone who doesn't
Alice
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed-it
Phenomenal read

Fantastic descriptions. I know of Lovecraft’s importance in the genre of horror, and the idea of “cosmic horror” was always intriguing, if not ambiguous, to me. But I hadn’t expected how much I’d enjoy this book. It had great descriptions, of environment, creatures, and psychology. The atmosphere of unease permeated throughout the book, with brief scenes of horror and grandure. It was not gory or graphic, but created a disturbing atmosphere nonetheless.
The plot reached a resoluti
Johann
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Lovecraftian Tale

Abby has lived in Arkham her whole life. She will soon be inducted into the secret society known as the Daughters but she's weighing the cost. One night at a carnival changes her entire life...a night she can't remember. As the mystery spills it's secrets, Abby finds that the town of Arkham holds a special place for her but will the new knowledge cost her her sanity, her life or both?
This was a great read and builds as you follow Abby through her crazy life that reveals mo
Sylri
So. Let me just say that this was the first YA book that I’ve read in a loooooooong long time.

A very long time.

And some of my problems with Daughters reminded me why I haven’t picked up a YA book in so long.

I’ve simply outgrown/grown tired of some teen problems, and I think they’re presented here in a way that will most likely be appreciated only by teens (not saying this is bad for a book aimed at teens, just is a heads up since YA seems to be read by a lot of adults).

Like the love triangl
Nicholas Diak
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Daughters of Arkham is a successful endeavor at taking only threadbare Lovecraft elements and re purposing them as a young adult novel, the first in a series. The novel reads as a YA detective-occult-thriller, and concerns the exploits of four friends looking into the town’s dark past, a town ruled by the titular Daughters. The lead character, Abby, is also pregnant after am amnesiac night at a carnival, and the town is full of Innsmouth-inspired fish-folk that only she can see. The characters a ...more
Brittany Marin
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
The characters were compelling and the mystery behind it all was intriguing. It did take me a while to get into it and the story lagged a bit, which is probably why it took so long for me to finish. Repetitive language and descriptors didn't help, either. Overall, I enjoyed reading Daughters of Arkham.
Mandy
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!

I'm ready for the next book now!
Fast paced, fun fantasy story.
Great characters; appreciate the way they are written.
Original yet familiar, 5 stars.
Didn't want to put it down.
Heather
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun read. Interesting characters and plot, but much more YA than I was expecting and I found the ending a little quick and disappointing.
Shannon
Free Kindle Ebooks: Free YA Horror Novel This Week! 1 10 Nov 03, 2015 05:01PM
FREE on Amazon Kindle 1 4 Nov 02, 2015 12:09PM

• The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • Kaninjägaren (Joona Linna, #6)
  • Stalker (Joona Linna, #5)
  • At the Mountains of Madness: A Graphic Novel
  • Just Try Not To Die  (Brian Helsing: The World's Unlikeliest Vampire Hunter. Mission #1)
  • Feliz Navidad From Acapulco: A Detective Emilia Cruz Christmas Story
  • Sanctuary (Kate Redman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Fall (Burning Skies, #1)
  • Lethal Seasons (A Changed World, #1)
  • Badass Broads
  • Scattered Seeds (A Changed World, #2)
  • UKD Trilogy: UK Dark 1-3
  • Cin d'Rella and the Water of Life : Circle of the Rose Chronicles, Book 1
  • McKinley Mysteries Box Set (McKinley Mysteries, #1-3)
  • Fur-miliar Felines (A Wonder Cats Mystery Book 7)
  • Noah's Ark: Survivors
  • Shopping is Murder (McKinley Mysteries, #6)
Much like film noir, Justin Robinson was born and raised in Los Angeles. He splits his time between editing comic books, writing prose and wondering what that disgusting smell is. Degrees in Anthropology and History prepared him for unemployment, but an obsession with horror fiction and a laundry list of phobias provided a more attractive option.

Daughters of Arkham (2 books)
  • Mother of Crows (Daughters of Arkham, #2)