Start by marking “In Their Shoes” as Want to Read:
In Their Shoes

In Their Shoes

Step into the shoes of the world’s favourite princes and princesses, orphans and ogres. The footprints of these stories are visible all around the world—from Germany to Russia, from America to China.

The golden slipper enables Cinderella to marry the prince, but the red shoes force a girl to dance for ever; the worn out dancing shoes give away the princesses’ se
Published July 2nd 2015 by Pushkin Press

To ask other readers questions about In Their Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Their Shoes

Start your review of In Their Shoes
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Growing up, I loved, and devoured fairytales, and imagined myself in them. There were many books out there with collections of Hans Christian Andersen , the Brother's Grimm, and Charles Perrault. This collection has them and more.

The theme is shoes, so there is Puss in Boots, two versions of Cinderella, one from China and one from Russia, Hop o' my Thumb, and the Red Shoes, to name a few. There is even the story of Perseaus and Medusa, because there are the winged shoes of Hermes, th
Veena
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The stories inside are literally, featuring shoes. In all forms. Cinderella's dancing shoes, puss in its boots, the twelve dancing princesses and their shoes and some more of them. It may seem to be a little odd but the author has creatively picked up the stories containing the magic of shoes and traced back their origins and presented a great collectible.
Some stories are quite different from the Disney versions or even Grimm versions bordering to folklore.
The book makes an interesting read wh
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A decent collection of fairy tales aimed at children with the theme of shoes. The first tale is an ancient Chinese one considered to be the original "Cinderella". Then mostly well-known tales are presented in order from the 1600s through the 1800s. Unfortunately, two modern retellings are tacked onto the end spoiling the established chronological presentation. Good stories, though, with famous authors such as Perrault and Andersen. The book is illustrated but my review copy didn't contain them s ...more
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I went to see the Shoes: Pleasure and Pain Exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum today and browsing in the shop, I came upon this cute little book. I'm not gonna lie, the beautiful cover completely drew me in. The stunning teal and the golden shoes are beautiful.

Opening it up, I saw that it focuses on fairy tales that shoes feature heavily in. This was lovely, as around the exhibition were mentions about how important shoes are in folk lore and stories. So naturally, I had to buy it!

A lot of
A
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
**I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

An interesting collection of fairy tales and legends relating to shoes.
Most I had read previously, but there were several I hadn't yet heard of, which is a feat because I collect fairy tales :)
I enjoyed reading old favorites, like the 12 dancing princesses and Cinderella (from China), while I had actually not heard of Hop o' my Thumb and The Shoes.
Overall a good varied collection of
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

I am someone who loves stories and fables from all over the world. This book perfectly fits my personality. Some of the stories I knew, some where new. I found it very fun to rekindle my friendship with these stories again. I really like reading it and I think it's a perfect book to read before bed (the ones that are childfriendly, I feel that not all of them are...)
Kirsten Tattersall
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. In Their Shoes is a collection of fairy tales from all over the world. The stories are all tied together in the fact that each story has shoes in the central theme, or shoes become a large part of the story. These stories are a mix of stories I grew up with and stories I have never heard before. It was a delightful assortment of stories and I would highly recommend you pick up this collection.
Mary
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***I received this book as an ARC from the publisher and www.NetGalley.com in exchange for an honest review***

I loved this collection of fairy tales, a mix of stories both familiar and new to me. I also enjoyed the different takes on familiar stories like the tale of Cinderella. I would highly recommend to any parent as a wonderful bed time read, or just any lover of classic stories.
Fizza
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Found this gem of a book at the V&A pleasure and pain exhibitions. Loved the exhibition and loved this book.
Rasha