Start by marking “Fiona” as Want to Read:
Fiona

Fiona

Fiona moves from her unstable home in Texas to take an au pair job in a castle in the Scottish Highlands, her deceased mother’s homeland and the place she has always dreamed of visiting. In this riveting, character-driven second novel, the fairy tale life Fiona imagined turns into a nightmare when a decades-old family feud resurfaces and forces her to confront the ghosts o ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Fiona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiona

Start your review of Fiona
Katherine
This book is basically Jane Eyre mashed up with Fatal Attraction and Wide Sargasso Sea. This might sound like a combination that would crash and burn, but surprisingly it works out. Of course, I’m probably partially biased because Jane Eyre is my favorite book of all time, and anyone who can successfully recreate Edward Fairfax Rochester is a win-win situation, in my eyes.

Fiona Smith is a feisty, redheaded girl living in a town in the middle of nowhere, Texas. After her mother dies, she resigns
Katie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is awesome. Twisty, dark, creepy awesome. I loved Meredith's I Am Her Revenge last year, and Fiona is just as great.

Basically, this is a Jane Eyre retelling, with a few key twists. I'm not sure why it wasn't marketed as such. I think it might have drawn in some more readers. In any case, I loved seeing Meredith's interpretation of the classic Bronte tale. (And I've got to say I liked Charlie a lot better than Mr. Rochester.)

If you read Meredith's debut, you know that she can come up wi
grieshaber.reads
Fiona is a riveting (though predictable) gothic read that filled my Rebecca-loving heart (I am certain author Meredith Moore is a Daphne Du Maurier fan; Fiona even chooses Rebecca as one of her many binge reads). After her mother’s death, Fiona spent years as the unwanted responsibility of her absent father’s sister. Out of nowhere, she gets an email from her mother’s childhood best friend, Lily. Lily lives in Scotland (her mother’s homeland) as an aristocrat complete with her own castle. Lily w ...more
Gina
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: british, fiction, romance
Fiona has grown up with stories from her mother about Scotland. She is surprised when she receives an email from her mother's wealthy friend Lily. Her mother had left Scotland to go with her irresponsible musician father to his home in Texas. When her mother dies she is left alone, since her father had deserted the family. She has been offered a position as au pair to Lily's young daughter. However, when she arrives at their castle in Scotland she finds out that Lily and her husband has been kil ...more
Thia Lee
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars...

This book started out slow, but after a few chapters it picked up and I didn't want to stop reading. I thought it was well written and the ending was really good. The story did read more like a New Adult vs. a Young Adult read, but that's what I really liked about it. I would recommend this one if you're looking for a mystery that will have you questioning even perhaps your own sanity. Great book, so glad I picked it up.

Content: No sex, some heated kisses
Language: very little- mild
Dori
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this year. A love triangle, mystery, murder, castles, ghosts, mental health - it kind of covers it all. Read it in three nights - loved it.
Ash
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Lovely setting and interesting plot lines with a bonus hint of cheesy romance but the horrid portrayal of mental illness ruined a lot of the book for me.
Parisgirl1022
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book!! It gives you insight into the world of schizophrenia while captivating you in a dark, suspenseful story. Highly recommended!
heddi ling // bookwormtopia
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to come
Chris Back
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and hope to find more of her books
Laura (midorireads)
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I'd originally rated this book, I'd given it 5 stars, but after some time to think about it, I changed it to 4; though it probably doesn't deserve even that much, I did finish it in one sitting, so that must mean I found it to be interesting, right? And being that it is supposed to be loosely based on the story of Jane Eyre, I couldn't resist reading this.

Fiona, or Fee as she prefers to be called, is the Jane Eyre of this story. She is an American girl, product of a a deceased Scottish moth
Kozmomo
When I first picked up, FIONA I was expecting a coming-of-age sort of story with mystery elements, but as I got deeper into the story it became this dark thriller that delves into the territory of mental illness, along with a heart-breaking romance. This book completely BLEW me away! It was awesome, amazing and brilliantly written! It was one of the books that lingered on my mind for hours after I finished.

The story starts off with Fiona, the main character, who is juggling with her own dark sec
Stephanie
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Link: https://holedupinabook.blogspot.com/2...

This was honestly one of the quickest read I have stumbled upon recently. Despite it being a relatively thick book, the writing style and the prose made it a very easy and fast read. It was incredibly easy for me to get into the story with the various characters and that hint of something just not quite right.

The buildup for the book was great – I think the author did a fabulous job because there was always just that hint of something peculiar going
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked the setting and the overall concept, but some things, such as the writing style and harmful portrayal of mental illness, really made it hard for me to enjoy this book.
St. Gerard Expectant Mothers
Being a fan of Meredith Moore's previous book I Am Her Revenge, I couldn't wait to devour this follow-up to the teen novel. The author sure doesn't disappoint. Fiona has everything in regards to homages done in reverence to classical novellas. Like in I Am Her Revenge which is basically Mommy Dearest meets Fatal Attraction mixed with a psychotic version of Miss Havisham and a doormat Estella from Great Expectations, Fiona basically throws in all the elements of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, Wuthe ...more
Becky
Fiona doesn't have anyone or anything left for her in Texas so she jumps at the opportunity to be a nanny for her late mother's friend in an old Scottish castle. But not even thing is not what seems. Is the castle haunted or is someone plotting against her.

I liked this book. I did however it all felt a little obvious. The character were good and Moore did a really good job of creating mood and setting. My problem with the story was the mystery. The basic plot felt very obvious. It took every ex
Stacey Conrad
I've never read Rebecca, so this was relatively new to me. I'm somewhat familiar with the story though so nothing was really a big surprise.

Fiona goes to Scotland to be a nanny to Poppy whose parents have died. Poppy's mom was friends with Fiona's mom. There is a handsome brother who has his own entanglements. Fiona's mom had schizophrenia and she's worried that she will have it too. Enter voices in the night, shadowy figures, a scheming fiancee and you have the makings of this mystery story.
Briar Rose
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, ya
This was a great psychological thriller.

Fiona is a girl who moves to Scotland to take care of the daughter of her mother's friend.

Then begins a story filled with ghosts, twists and turns, and great characters.

The only reason I didn't give it a five star is because it did drag at some points.
Lindsay
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one day and overall I enjoyed it - barely a 4 star. I love really dark mental books and this story was not as dark as I was expecting or wanted. However, there were parts that had me thinking if the whole story was in Fiona's head. Had to finish the book to find out. Honestly, the downer for me with this story was the ending. Too perfect, too predictable.
Susan
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! One of my favorites! The closest to an old-fashioned gothic mystery you can get these days!
Kiirsi Hellewell
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book!! Beautiful writing, likable characters, LOVED the setting. This is an author to watch! More books, please!
Randi
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enthralling story, didn't want to put it down.
Cassie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: second-quarter
Even though this book was realistic fiction, I still really liked it. I didn't see the twist coming!
Sammy
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very entertaining and compelling novel written by a friend.
Rebekah

• Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The Keeper of the Mist
  • All the Bad Apples
  • Qualityland (QualityLand - Saga, #1)
  • The Bakeshop at Pumpkin and Spice
  • Liebeslektionen in den Highlands
  • Die Tote von Schönbrunn: Ein historischer Wien-Krimi
  • Mirror in the Sky
  • Sweetness #9
  • The Ship
  • Die Känguru-Offenbarung (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #3)
  • Das Känguru-Manifest (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #2)
  • I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
  • The Dolls (The Dolls, #1)
Meredith Moore graduated from Harvard University with a degree in History, focusing on early modern England and France. She lives in Houston, Texas, where she loves pumpkin spice lattes, 19th century British literature, and road trips. I Am Her Revenge is her debut novel.