Start by marking “The Demonists (Demonist, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demonists (Demonist, #1)

The Demonists

(Demonist #1)

There is more to our world than meets the eye—darker things, crueler things. Exorcist John Fogg and his wife, psychic medium Theodora Knight, know what lurks in the shadows. But even they’re not prepared for the worst Hell has to offer...

It was supposed to be a simple exorcism, a publicity stunt to firmly establish John and Theodora’s thriving paranormal investigation e
Published April 5th 2016 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about The Demonists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demonists

Start your review of The Demonists (Demonist, #1)
Bradley
I'm rating this purely upon personal enjoyment and the surprise that one feels when a certain book transforms before your eyes from a serviceable attempt at turning a tabloid TV show crew into an exorcist drama into a serious cabal of a supernatural team of demon hunters into a freaking awesome surprise turnaround for Theo that's all about the nasty surprises waiting just below the flesh. :)

Horror? Yes. Urban Fantasy? Yes.

It diverges from the usual UF in that we're never completely locked-in to
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/04/06/b...

Lots of interesting things are happening in the horror genre lately, as evidenced by my latest venture into Thomas E. Sniegoski’s new novel The Demonists. Imagine The Exorcist, urban fantasy style! This is also my first book by the author, and it certainly won’t be the last—not if there’s more like this coming my way.

The story follows the husband-and-wife team of John Fogg and Theodora Knight, who are the world’s foremos
Carrie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
John Fogg is the host of a reality show where he and his team, along with his wife Theodora, investigate haunted places and search for any paranormal activity. When entering the latest building while airing live, Theo who is a medium, was not getting any readings until entering the basement where one of the crew moved an object, the result is devastating and their actions unleash an evil upon the world.

The Demonists got off to a great start where I had high hopes for this novel but unfortunately
Cathy
Quite dark, very much the opposite of the Remy books, probably a deliberate contrast. (Though that series certainly had a dark streak, many of those angels weren't much about the light.) It had a lot of good elements, but a bit of a plodding nature at times early on. Another book that perhaps suffered from the author knowing that he had more than one book in the series contracted up front, so he took his time introducing things and focusing on the long arc of the series, and didn't focus as much ...more
Sci-Fi & Scary
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is definitely one of those cases where you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. The cover of The Demonists is very ‘pretty’, and my initial judgement was that this was going to be a book with a fantastic premise that was screwed up because of weak writing making it more acceptable to the masses. While it doesn’t go into The Exorcist level possession vulgarity, The Demonists is not a book that panders to the delicate sensibilities, and it’s one that you may want to read for yourself first if ...more
Lady H
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020
The main reason I hated this book was the writing.

God, the writing.

It was just. So very bad. So melodramatic, clunky, awkward. It literally made me cringe every single page. It took away from and affected everything: dialogue, pacing, characters. It rendered the dialogue wooden and unrealistic, made the pacing come to a screeching halt even during tense scenes, and caused the characters to be one-dimensional paper cut outs.

Seriously, the dialogue here may have been more fitting in a particula
Jordan
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot even tell you how amazing this book is. This is my first foray into Sniegoski's writing, but if they are all this good I am going to need some more money!

Everything about this book was superb. It was well paced with great conflicts and emotion. They characters were completely realistic and flawed in their own unique ways. The bad guy(s) were completely creepy. Just superb.

The only thing that I will say could be improved was the back story and motivations of the main characters. The sec
Mar B
Dark Urban Fantasy at its Finest!

One of my favorite dark tales!

4.7 dark stars

THIS BOOK WAS SO FABULOUSLY DARK AND CREEPY!

When I saw this ARC on NetGalley last year [yeah I can be slow sometimes ;-)] I was like... Ooh.. Look at that cover... Ooohhh look at that title!... And then...

OOOOOOOOH OMG! LOOK AT THE WRIIIIIITER!

Oh how much I love Tom's books! *giggles* They are borderline insane!

It went down the hill from there, a click "REQUEST".. click "REQUEST"... click "REQUEST" click-mania :) We
Mara
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, horror
3 1/2
Surprisingly good. I wasn't a fan of the prologue as (IMHO) it did have nothing more to the story (it didn't show their love or bond, but simply how they met).

The story in itself is a panicky romp to save a woman, a group of children and the world with them. It was well done, if a bit shallow characterwise. But it was a group effort so that many characters were probably necessary.

It was something fresh for my reading tastes, but not in itself.
chucklesthescot
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, uf-pnr, fiction
This book was lurking on my shelves for ages and reviews I read didn't make me excited to go ahead and read it. I'm not the biggest fan of ghosts and exorcism stories and I grabbed this when I was reading another series by the author. The two MCs were decent characters and I particularly liked their personal assistant Stephan. The opening with how John and Theo met was interesting as was the actual Halloween show that went wrong but for me the plot then slowed down too much with little of intere ...more
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, this was one of the strangest and creepiest books I have ever listened too.

John Fogg, was a bit of a skeptic till he met his wife who can talk to the dead. Now they have a TV show and one of those episodes they were filming things went horribly wrong and now his wife had several demon’s in her and at first was in catatonic state.

John will do just about anything to figure out how to help his wife, but he is in for more than he bargained for. This one is very hard to review without feeling l
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Demonists by Thomas E. Sniegoski is a great fantasy/horror book that keeps the reader on edge. John and his wife are TV host for a ghost show and the wife gets possessed by demons live on TV. The place explodes and the public thinks it is a gas explosion. John has to find help for his wife and ventures overseas to seek help and finds a group called the Demonists. They agree to help him if he will join their group. He tries to get rid of the demons himself but finds it will kill his wife so h ...more
Natasha Lane
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Be warned that this novel may not be for the faint of heart. If you are accustomed to reading more light-hearted, Arthurian type fantasy novels, "The Demonists" is probably not for you. However, if you're looking to dive into something a bit darker, something that deals more with the occult (which can be guessed by the very name) then, pick this book up and give it a good read. Though, perhaps reading it when you're not alone is best...

Often, in fantasy novels, demons are portrayed along side ot
Starr
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-2020-read
I was given a copy of this book, free, in exchange for my honest opinion.
Click on the image for Goodreads summary.
It is the hope that in the end, good will overcome evil. John and Theo are one of the many defenses that keeps the demons from overstretching their domain. Theo becomes a literal and physical defense as the demons have taken up residence inside of her. John’s search for a way to save his wife takes him across the globe, and into deeper darkness than he was aware possible.
Shorty
Fantastic urban fantasy/horror novel, that I totally fell in love with. I loved it so much that when found my local library didn’t have a copy of the second novel in the series, I went out and bought it. And since this was the first novel I’d read of this author, and I enjoyed this novel so very much, I now follow him on amazon, and goodreads. And I don’t follow many authors.
I thoroughly enjoyed every single character in this novel, good and bad. Theo is a bad ass momma, and I hope her bad asser
Alice
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Do you find yourself watching shows on the paranormal? Well, that's what this book is based around. Add in abit if urban fantasy and you have a story about how gory demons can be, how dark and despicable.

Our main characters are John Fogg, his wife and medium Theodora Knight. Although the story does include other perspectives we mostly see it through these characters eyes. At times I did find myself wondering where the story would go as they told it, parts seemingly jumping ahead while switching
Mike
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The Demonists by Thomas E. Sniegoski marks the start of a new series. John Fogg and Theodora Knight are paranormal investigators; hosts of a popular television program. During a Halloween special where the couple and their team investigate a house filled with dark energy, a supposed haunting, things suddenly take a horrific turn as malevolent forces kill John’s team and leave Theodora in a catatonic state; possessed by countless demonic spirits. Confronted by the veil now inhabiting his wife Joh ...more
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This is one of those books where you really wish Goodreads would fix their rating system and you could give 1/2 stars. However, since they probably never will, and since I loved this book so damn much, I am rounding up to 5 and to heck with it! There are so many things I love about this book that I really don't know where to start. It was just the book I needed to quench my urban fantasy craving (or maybe fuel it, but that remains to be seen).

The Demonists follows John Fogg and his wife, Theo. T
Kt
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession

THE DEMONISTS was a mixed bag for me. At times I was completely sucked in, reading the pages as fast as I possibly could, and yet other times I found myself skimming, particularly the further along in the book I read. It felt like things took off with one heck of a bang from the start and fizzled from that point on. I kept waiting for things to get that early spark back, and while I was sucked back in a few times, it never quite got the moment
Sharon
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berkley Publishing Group and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Demonists, in exchange for an honest review.

Exorcist John Fogg and his wife, psychic medium Theodora Knight, are the hosts of a show called Spirit Chasers, on which they investigate structures with strange happenings and ghostly appearances. Although they are performing for their television audience, both John and Theodora have genuine psychic gifts. When the taping of a Halloween episode of their show goes horribl
Donna
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
After his wife Theodora is inhabited by demons during their 'ghost hunter' TV show, John is willing to do almost anything to help her.

Good thing: There are masses of old school horror tropes: demon infestation, projectile vomit during exorcism, a secret Brotherhood whose goal is to defend the world against demons, as well as some nice tweaks: A husband/wife pair for a paranormal TV show that get in over their heads.

Bad thing: The writing is clunky to the point where it interrupts my ability to
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

The Demonists is the first installment in author Thomas E. Sniegnoski's Demonist series. Sniegnoski is best known to me as being the author of the Remy Chandler series. The constant remains the same between the two series. The setting is dark and dangerous, and it is almost always a battle between good and evil for the souls of the innocents. Meet John Fogg. John has traveled the world studying the weird, the unusual, and the parano
Pamela
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Demonists can be frightening, but it is also a fantastic read. If you cannot stand horror, then this book is not for you. But it is dark fantasy, with demons (which are not nice creatures who do evil things like those in paranormal romance). It hooked me enough that I want to read the next book in this series. So, if you are looking for that scary and suspenseful book for your next read, this will fit the bill. Warning: just read it in the light, and not alone in bed at night.

Read rest of re
Kdawg91
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not big on horror but the premise hooked me. If you are a fan of stuff like the Conjuring, you will dig this. Well developed characters and a big dose of horror mixed in with your urban fantasy.

Horror is not my thing, I will read it but I don't generally seek horror titles out, but the strength of Mr. Sniegoski's writing makes this read worth a look.

If you like the spookiness, check it out
Erin
I have been waiting on this book for awhile. Stoked!!!

I'm a little torn on this one. In the beginning it was great. It started to get alittle boring has I read on. Then picked back up. I was hoping this would be a 5 star read. Why? Well look at the name? How freakin awesome is that. But unfortunately I could give only 3 stars. 3 1/2 actually.
Darcy
I made it 30% in before giving up on this one. It was a just a bit too weird and dark for me. I didn't like how the demons were so evil, dumb statement I know, but I hated how they took over normal people and subverted them. This one just wasn't for me. ...more
Patrícia
It was like watching Hell Boy... Except I was reading, but it wasn't any better. :P ...more
Jerry
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Get out the crackers. This is a real cheese-fest.
Amy Braun
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Seriously, I'm addicted. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, since the blurb gives an EXORCIST feel. While the comparison is justified, this is so much more than your typical scary-exorcism-story. The DEMONISTS is inventive, exciting, brutal, original, vivid, and has one of the best female lead characters ever. The story branched off in directions I wasn't expecting, revealing secret societies, wicked treasures, and fearsome demonic entities, all of which lead to ...more
Poetniknowit
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Firstly, this cover makes the novel look like a self published, new horror author's misguided attempt. Don't let it fool you. The book is not crap lol.

I'm not really into books with religious undertones. As a "nonbeliever", I steer far away from any novel or author that uses horror or fantasy to preach their religion in a novel's subtext.

I told myself "If there are any passages spouting religious bs that is not pertinent to the story, I will just return the book to my library." Luckily, there wa
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wylding Hall
  • Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1)
  • Blood Lust (Preternaturals, #1)
  • Don't Look Down
  • A Vampire's Heart: a lion shifters novella
  • Charnel House
  • Creative Spirit
  • Grave Danger
  • The Librarian's Vampire Assistant (The Librarian's Vampire Assistant #1)
  • Dogs and Goddesses
  • Outta the Bag (Cadence Jones, #0.5)
  • Murder for Christmas (Mordecai Tremaine #2)
  • Storm Front (Derrick Storm, #4)
  • Entombed (Spirelli Paranormal Investigations #7)
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange, #1)
  • Partners in Crime (Tommy & Tuppence, #2)
  • Vampires: Back in Time to the First Darkness - The Original Stories
THOMAS E. SNIEGOSKI is the author of more than two dozen novels for adults, teens, and children. His teen fantasy YA series Fallen was adapted into a trilogy of monstrously successful TV movies by ABC Family Channel. His other books for teens include Sleeper Code, Sleeper Agenda, and Force Majeure, as well as the upcoming series The Brimstone Network. The author's first adult novel, A Kiss Before ...more

Demonist (2 books)
  • Dark Exodus (Demonist #2)

News & Interviews