Start by marking “The Demonists (Demonist, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demonists (Demonist, #1)

The Demonists

(Demonist #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  293 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
There is more to our world than meets the eye—darker things, crueler things. Exorcist John Fogg and his wife, psychic medium Theodora Knight, know what lurks in the shadows. But even they’re not prepared for the worst Hell has to offer...

It was supposed to be a simple exorcism, a publicity stunt to firmly establish John and Theodora’s thriving paranormal investigation e
Published April 5th 2016 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about The Demonists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demonists

Bradley
I'm rating this purely upon personal enjoyment and the surprise that one feels when a certain book transforms before your eyes from a serviceable attempt at turning a tabloid TV show crew into an exorcist drama into a serious cabal of a supernatural team of demon hunters into a freaking awesome surprise turnaround for Theo that's all about the nasty surprises waiting just below the flesh. :)

Horror? Yes. Urban Fantasy? Yes.

It diverges from the usual UF in that we're never completely locked-in to
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/04/06/b...

Lots of interesting things are happening in the horror genre lately, as evidenced by my latest venture into Thomas E. Sniegoski’s new novel The Demonists. Imagine The Exorcist, urban fantasy style! This is also my first book by the author, and it certainly won’t be the last—not if there’s more like this coming my way.

The story follows the husband-and-wife team of John Fogg and Theodora Knight, who are the world’s foremos
Carrie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
John Fogg is the host of a reality show where he and his team, along with his wife Theodora, investigate haunted places and search for any paranormal activity. When entering the latest building while airing live, Theo who is a medium, was not getting any readings until entering the basement where one of the crew moved an object, the result is devastating and their actions unleash an evil upon the world.

The Demonists got off to a great start where I had high hopes for this novel but unfortunately
Cathy
Quite dark, very much the opposite of the Remy books, probably a deliberate contrast. (Though that series certainly had a dark streak, many of those angels weren't much about the light.) It had a lot of good elements, but a bit of a plodding nature at times early on. Another book that perhaps suffered from the author knowing that he had more than one book in the series contracted up front, so he took his time introducing things and focusing on the long arc of the series, and didn't focus as much ...more
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is definitely one of those cases where you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. The cover of The Demonists is very ‘pretty’, and my initial judgement was that this was going to be a book with a fantastic premise that was screwed up because of weak writing making it more acceptable to the masses. While it doesn’t go into The Exorcist level possession vulgarity, The Demonists is not a book that panders to the delicate sensibilities, and it’s one that you may want to read for yourself first if ...more
Jordan
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot even tell you how amazing this book is. This is my first foray into Sniegoski's writing, but if they are all this good I am going to need some more money!

Everything about this book was superb. It was well paced with great conflicts and emotion. They characters were completely realistic and flawed in their own unique ways. The bad guy(s) were completely creepy. Just superb.

The only thing that I will say could be improved was the back story and motivations of the main characters. The sec
Daniela Ark's Bookiverse
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dark Urban Fantasy at its Finest!

One of my favorite dark tales!

4.7 dark stars

THIS BOOK WAS SO FABULOUSLY DARK AND CREEPY!

When I saw this ARC in NetGalley last year [yeah I can be slow sometimes ;-)] I was like... Ooh.. Look at that cover... Ooohhh look at that title!... And then...

OOOOOOOOH OMG! LOOK AT THE WRIIIIIITER!

Oh how much I love Tom's books! *giggles* They are borderline insane!

It went down the hill from there, a click "REQUEST".. click "REQUEST"... click "REQUEST" click-mania :) Well
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Well, this was one of the strangest and creepiest books I have ever listened too.

John Fogg, was a bit of a skeptic till he met his wife who can talk to the dead. Now they have a TV show and one of those episodes they were filming things went horribly wrong and now his wife had several demon’s in her and at first was in catatonic state.

John will do just about anything to figure out how to help his wife, but he is in for more than he bargained for. This one is very hard to review without feeling l
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Demonists by Thomas E. Sniegoski is a great fantasy/horror book that keeps the reader on edge. John and his wife are TV host for a ghost show and the wife gets possessed by demons live on TV. The place explodes and the public thinks it is a gas explosion. John has to find help for his wife and ventures overseas to seek help and finds a group called the Demonists. They agree to help him if he will join their group. He tries to get rid of the demons himself but finds it will kill his wife so h ...more
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

The Demonists is the first installment in author Thomas E. Sniegnoski's Demonist series. Sniegnoski is best known to me as being the author of the Remy Chandler series. The constant remains the same between the two series. The setting is dark and dangerous, and it is almost always a battle between good and evil for the souls of the innocents. Meet John Fogg. John has traveled the world studying the weird, the unusual, and the parano
Mara
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, urban-fantasy
3 1/2
Surprisingly good. I wasn't a fan of the prologue as (IMHO) it did have nothing more to the story (it didn't show their love or bond, but simply how they met).

The story in itself is a panicky romp to save a woman, a group of children and the world with them. It was well done, if a bit shallow characterwise. But it was a group effort so that many characters were probably necessary.

It was something fresh for my reading tastes, but not in itself.
Natasha Lane
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Be warned that this novel may not be for the faint of heart. If you are accustomed to reading more light-hearted, Arthurian type fantasy novels, "The Demonists" is probably not for you. However, if you're looking to dive into something a bit darker, something that deals more with the occult (which can be guessed by the very name) then, pick this book up and give it a good read. Though, perhaps reading it when you're not alone is best...

Often, in fantasy novels, demons are portrayed along side ot
Starr
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book, free, in exchange for my honest opinion.
Click on the image for Goodreads summary.
It is the hope that in the end, good will overcome evil. John and Theo are one of the many defenses that keeps the demons from overstretching their domain. Theo becomes a literal and physical defense as the demons have taken up residence inside of her. John’s search for a way to save his wife takes him across the globe, and into deeper darkness than he was aware possible.
Mike
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The Demonists by Thomas E. Sniegoski marks the start of a new series. John Fogg and Theodora Knight are paranormal investigators; hosts of a popular television program. During a Halloween special where the couple and their team investigate a house filled with dark energy, a supposed haunting, things suddenly take a horrific turn as malevolent forces kill John’s team and leave Theodora in a catatonic state; possessed by countless demonic spirits. Confronted by the veil now inhabiting his wife Joh ...more
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This is one of those books where you really wish Goodreads would fix their rating system and you could give 1/2 stars. However, since they probably never will, and since I loved this book so damn much, I am rounding up to 5 and to heck with it! There are so many things I love about this book that I really don't know where to start. It was just the book I needed to quench my urban fantasy craving (or maybe fuel it, but that remains to be seen).

The Demonists follows John Fogg and his wife, Theo. T
Kt
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession

THE DEMONISTS was a mixed bag for me. At times I was completely sucked in, reading the pages as fast as I possibly could, and yet other times I found myself skimming, particularly the further along in the book I read. It felt like things took off with one heck of a bang from the start and fizzled from that point on. I kept waiting for things to get that early spark back, and while I was sucked back in a few times, it never quite got the moment
Donna
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
After his wife Theodora is inhabited by demons during their 'ghost hunter' TV show, John is willing to do almost anything to help her.

Good thing: There are masses of old school horror tropes: demon infestation, projectile vomit during exorcism, a secret Brotherhood whose goal is to defend the world against demons, as well as some nice tweaks: A husband/wife pair for a paranormal TV show that get in over their heads.

Bad thing: The writing is clunky to the point where it interrupts my ability to
Pamela
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Demonists can be frightening, but it is also a fantastic read. If you cannot stand horror, then this book is not for you. But it is dark fantasy, with demons (which are not nice creatures who do evil things like those in paranormal romance). It hooked me enough that I want to read the next book in this series. So, if you are looking for that scary and suspenseful book for your next read, this will fit the bill. Warning: just read it in the light, and not alone in bed at night.

Read rest of re
Kdawg91
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not big on horror but the premise hooked me. If you are a fan of stuff like the Conjuring, you will dig this. Well developed characters and a big dose of horror mixed in with your urban fantasy.

Horror is not my thing, I will read it but I don't generally seek horror titles out, but the strength of Mr. Sniegoski's writing makes this read worth a look.

If you like the spookiness, check it out
Erin
I have been waiting on this book for awhile. Stoked!!!

I'm a little torn on this one. In the beginning it was great. It started to get alittle boring has I read on. Then picked back up. I was hoping this would be a 5 star read. Why? Well look at the name? How freakin awesome is that. But unfortunately I could give only 3 stars. 3 1/2 actually.
Darcy
I made it 30% in before giving up on this one. It was a just a bit too weird and dark for me. I didn't like how the demons were so evil, dumb statement I know, but I hated how they took over normal people and subverted them. This one just wasn't for me.
Jerry
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Get out the crackers. This is a real cheese-fest.
Patrícia
It was like watching Hell Boy... Except I was reading, but it wasn't any better. :P
Amy Braun
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Seriously, I'm addicted. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, since the blurb gives an EXORCIST feel. While the comparison is justified, this is so much more than your typical scary-exorcism-story. The DEMONISTS is inventive, exciting, brutal, original, vivid, and has one of the best female lead characters ever. The story branched off in directions I wasn't expecting, revealing secret societies, wicked treasures, and fearsome demonic entities, all of which lead to ...more
Jack Okorn
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this book I knew I was looking for horror. I was not disappointed! I have read a lot of books covering possessions and this one is right up there with the exorcist. When this loving husband and wife team set out to help with demons they put themselves in harms way. From the very first chapter this book will not let you down if you like being scared. I would suggest leaving a light or two on in the house for your comfort level.
Keisha
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a bone chilling page turner! Supernatural meets The Exorcist meets Law & Order in a gripping story that has just the right amount of humor, fear, suspense and resolution.

This book read like a dream. I couldn’t put it down. The story grabs your from the first page. There’s no boring build up. From the first paragraph your thrown into the fight.

This book leaves you ready for the next journey. Packed with everything needed to make a satisfying read and reader.
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy, quick, dark read. I love anything paranormal and the premise of a reality TV show--totally up my alley. Add in an exorcism and demons and I'm sold. Children are disappearing and no one knows why. Enter our intrepid heroes, one of whom becomes possessed. I'm interested to see how the series continues with her remaining possessed, but with the tattoos/sigils to hold the demons at bay.
Kevin Piech
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelled to finish quick

It was one of those books that you wanted to find out what happened so you keep on reading until you're done. I finished it in two days. Anyone that appreciates Ghost Stories should like this book.
Amanda The Book Slayer
3.5/5 Stars

“The old nun was the first to be murdered, her fragile throat collapsing as the Vatican exorcist’s priestly hands wrapped around her thin neck and squeezed with all his supernaturally enhanced strength.”
Malcom Maxey
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and exciting. Twists and turns and a fascinating read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Surveillance (Chris Bruen #3)
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • Black Ice (Midgard, #2)
  • Dead Before Dying (Shadow Valley Manor #1)
  • Ghetto
  • Night of Pan
  • Darkness Fair (The Dark Cycle, #2)
  • Arena (Arena, #1)
  • The Traveler's Wake
  • Jack Strong
  • The Very Best of Tad Williams
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • The Guild of Assassins (Majat Code #2)
  • The Winter Boy
  • Divinity
  • Thinning the Herd
  • City of Liars and Thieves
  • Deadly Curiosities (Deadly Curiosities, #1)
THOMAS E. SNIEGOSKI is the author of more than two dozen novels for adults, teens, and children. His teen fantasy YA series Fallen was adapted into a trilogy of monstrously successful TV movies by ABC Family Channel. His other books for teens include Sleeper Code, Sleeper Agenda, and Force Majeure, as well as the upcoming series The Brimstone Network. The author's first adult novel, A Kiss Before ...more

Demonist (2 books)
  • Dark Exodus (Demonist #2)