Start by marking “Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)

Reading Up a Storm

(Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)

The national bestselling author of Booked for Trouble returns with another charming mystery set in the most literary lighthouse in North Carolina’s Outer Banks.

Misfortune blows into North Carolina’s Outer Banks when a dead body in a boat on the shore leaves local librarian Lucy Richardson racing to solve a strange new mystery....

After a successful party at Bodie Island’s Lighthouse Lib/>Misfortune/>
Published April 5th 2016 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Reading Up a Storm, please sign up.

LORI CASWELL
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Lucy Richardson loves her view from her apartment on the 4th floor of the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library especially at night with the rhythm of the light flashing in intervals out to the sea even during a storm. Tonight though, with the rain pouring down and the waves crashing she notices lights that appear to be coming from the beach. She also notices a boat in trouble not far from shore. She calls 911 so the Coast Guard can be called to help the passengers of th
Janet Robel
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super cute! I loved the whole concept of a library in a lighthouse. Lucy Richardson is an appealing character and the mystery was quite good.
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Author Eva Gates delights with this newest installment in her Lighthouse Library Mystery series!

What could be better than a library? A library in a lighthouse! And what could be better than that? The writing of Eva Gate telling the story of said lighthouse library!

In this splendid addition to her wonderful series, Ms. Gates manages to outshine the first two books in the series. A clever plot, and brilliant writing are in store for you when you read, READING UP A STORM. With a shipwreck, and mu
Tari
Now I'm finally caught up and ready to read the sixth book! I really loved this one, since it was a turning point for a couple of ongoing side story lines. Lucy is definitely getting smarter about meeting up with killers and had some good protection with her. The showdown was quick but satisfying, and the perp was hauled away.

I liked the two new characters that were introduced. Stephanie, the lawyer was my favorite, but I couldn't help sort of liking the quirky, crazy Marlene. I don't think I r
Karen
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found myself captivated by the story and even as it unfolded I was amazed at the twists and turns the mystery took, who the killer was, was not even on my radar until the very end. I hope this series becomes more then just a trilogy as I felt like I was only just getting re acquainted with my old friends as the story comes to a close.
I really loved and appreciated this story, for the way it took me away and the emotions it evoked. I also can not help but imagine what it would be like to live
Julie  Durnell
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern, mystery
I really like this Outer Banks series, such a great setting and background on the Bodie Lighthouse and the Graveyard of the Atlantic! To work in a library and live in the top of a lighthouse is such a fantastic dream! I hope there will be a new book in the series due out soon!?!
Kevin
I've really enjoyed this series and unfortunately I'm all caught up. I hope the next book will be released soon, as I need to fantasize some more about sitting at the top of a lighthouse filled with books reading. Decent mystery, the annoying characters are getting more humorous as the series continues and the nice ones are becoming even nicer.
Fred
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading Up A Storm is the third book in the A Lighthouse Library Mystery series.

Lucy Richardson, with the help of her staff, has had a successful birthday party for Bertie James, the head librarian, but it's been cut a little short due to increasing winds from a storm heading ashore. As Lucy is about to retire for the evening, she decides to take a look outside to check the progress of the storm and notices some lights on the beach and a boat that appears to be heading straight for
Shirley Schwartz
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series so was looking forward to this one. I was a bit disappointed unfortunately. I found the story a bit juvenile, especially Lucy's sudden epiphanies such as when she realized who the murderer was (who, I have to say, I had determined about 1/3 of the way through the book), and her sudden realization that she was "in love with the mayor of Nags Head". No lead up, no defining moment in either case really. I'm disappointed that the series isn't measu ...more
Sabine
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the Lighthouse Library series. Eva Gates (Vicki Delany) is one of my alltime favourite author. There wasn't one book that I haven't enjoyed!
The characters are believable and so much fun that I wish I'd live there too. A great mystery that kept me on my chair and guessing till the end.
Dawn Michelle
This one was W A Y better than #2 [with the exception that Louisa Jane did NOT get forever lost in the marsh like I was hoping she would]. The narrator has finally decided to only do one type of southern accent for everyone [which is L O V E L Y], the love triangle is no longer and the mystery was actually well thought out and the detective didn't automatically assume that Lucy was the killer and treat her so condescendingly. Other than it being about 75 pages too long, this one was a real impro ...more
Patricia
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this cozy mystery series! I love the characters who are in each of the first three books. The Lighthouse Library Mystery series gets my recommendation. I am delighted that the author continues to write books for this series!

Daniele
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
It was a dark and stormy night….No, really, Reading Up a Storm gets off to turbulent start when rough weather rolls in after Lucy, Bodie Island’s Lighthouse’s Library’s assistant librarian, and the other employees and locals celebrate their boss’s tenth anniversary at the library. Lucy sees strange lights down the beach and a boat caught in the violent waters. The boat’s occupants, Will Williams and his much younger companion Marlene, are recued by the Coast Guard (thanks to Lucy’s call to them) ...more
Mary Brown
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis:

After a successful party at Bodie Island’s Lighthouse Library, librarian Lucy Richardson is ready to curl up with her cat, Charles, an
Katie
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of this book which I received for an impartial and honest review. I enjoyed this book immensely even though I didn't read the first two in the series, I will be making sure that I go back to start at the beginning and catch up!

Reading Up A Storm is the third book in the Lighthouse Library cozy mystery series. The setting for the book combines 2 of my favourite things, lighthouses and libraries... and the assistant librarian Lucy, even gets to live above the li
Christine Denicola
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading Up A Storm by Eva Gates was the third in the series of mysteries set in the Outer Banks of North Carolina … where the residents proudly refer to themselves as “Bankers,” if their roots go back far enough. Lucy, whose mother was raised in the Outer Banks but who left for Boston as quickly as she could, loves her work (and her apartment!) all located in the Lighthouse Library. The only fly in the ointment … she hasn’t been there a year and she has been at the center of three murder investi ...more
Kimberly
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 75-books-in-2017
I suppose Im in the minority here with the rating and review.

Ill give one star for the cover and that is as far as I can go.

I had a hard time getting into the first book in the series but I loved the idea of the lighthouse and it housing the town library. Ocean included! I loved the setting and thought how can you go wrong writing something like this?

It has felt disjointed the whole time for me. As if something is totally missing. There is so much writing about the char
Donna
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great cozy series. I like the fact that it takes place in Nags Head, NC and that the library is in a lighthouse. Lucy, the librarian and main character also lives in a room at the top of the lighthouse so she can look out over the ocean but this particular night she notices mysterious lights along the shore leading a small boat to shore. She finds out the next day that the two people on the boat survived but then a few days later one of them ends of dead. The police think Lucy's friend ...more
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the prior two. Her wild ideas about the crimes are annoying and not based in fact. She believes herself smarter than the detective without actually being it (at least with regards to the murder) and she doesn't have as much spine as I want her to have and let's people walk all over her. And L.Jane is probably one of the most annoying characters I've ever read. Charles is the redeeming factor of this book.
Mele
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that I love Eva Gates. Along with another great mystery centered around the Lighthouse library, the love triangle is resolved. Not only is it resolved, but the introduction of a new character adds so much story potential. I can't wait for the next installment.
Jennifer Gallagher
I couldn't keep my interest in this one. I don't know if I had too much going on, or if I just couldn't get into he story or what... I liked the first two books in this series, but this one just didn't grab me. It dragged and the characters were annoying.
Linda Smatzny
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book, Lucy Richardson has decided between the two men she has been seeing but before she can tell them a murder occurs on the water behind the lighthouse. When a friend of Lucy's seems to be the prime suspect Lucy starts asking questions. The book was a quick easy read.
Mary Ann
Lucy is encountering her first hurricane in NC and she is a bit nervous and she sees a boat in danger out in the sea and calls the police, who send out the Coast Guard and the police then pick them up from the beach and take them back to town. Then they show up at the book club and then the man is found dead. When Lucy's new friend, Stephanie, is in the sites of the police for the man's death and then it is found that he is not what he has been claiming to be. Lucy works to find the truth so tha ...more
Carol
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This story, the third in the lighthouse series, was not as interesting as the first two, and I found it difficult to believe that Lucy was the better crime solver than the detective. However, the series remains an easy summer read and I'll read the fourth one. Most characters are likable, especially Charles the cat.
Micky Cox
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent addition to the Lighthouse Library series! Excellent character development and plotting make this an entertaining and interesting read. The storylines just get better and better! I can't wait to read or rather listen to the next book in the series! It is an added bonus that so far the entire series has been on audio! Great for those of us on the go, but still enjoy books!
Karen
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This third book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery took me a little bit to get into, but I was able to enjoy this book as much as the others I have read in the series.
Ruth Ellen
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A boat is in trouble and Lucy calls it in. A day later the castaways come to the Book Review and a day after that one of them turns up dead. Why? Read and find out.
Rachel
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, believable resolution, romantic progress. All of these conspire to make me eager for the next installment.
Christina Marie Reads
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
As usual, another great installment! Love this fun cozy mystery series!
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lucy has been enjoying her time at the Lighthouse Library. She has two very nice looking men who have been viaing for her attention, though she finally decides which one she likes more. Everything is going fine but then a man ends up dead.

It seems her new friend could be the culprit but she really doesn't think she did it and it's not like the man didn't have enemies. Lucy tries to stay out of things but with her friend being a suspect it's hard for her to do so, but the detective wa
Play Book Tag: Reading Up a Storm by Eva Gates - 3.5 stars 3 11 Apr 24, 2016 07:20AM

• Pouncing on Murder (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #4)
  • No Cats Allowed (Cat in the Stacks, #7)
  • Off the Books (Novel Idea, #5)
  • The Marsh Madness (Book Collector Mystery, #4)
  • The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle (Book Club Mystery, #2)
  • And Then There Were Nuns (League of Literary Ladies #4)
  • Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder in the Paperback Parlor (Book Retreat Mysteries, #2)
  • Éclair and Present Danger (An Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery, #1)
  • Plot Boiler (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Silence of the Lamps (Caprice De Luca Mystery, #5)
  • The Book Stops Here (A Bibliophile Mystery, #8)
  • Cover Story (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery, #3)
  • A Dark and Stormy Murder (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #1)
  • Title Wave (Booktown Mystery #10)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer (Paws and Claws Mystery, #2)
  • Looking for Mr. Good Witch (Retired Witches Mystery, #2)
Eva Gates is a pseudonym of Vicki Delany.

Lighthouse Library Mystery (6 books)
  • By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1)
  • Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library Mystery #2)
  • The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • Something Read, Something Dead (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #5)
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)