Start by marking “Dead Man's Steel (The Grim Company, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Steel (The Grim Company, #3)

Dead Man's Steel

(Grim Company #3)

As the “gripping”* epic from the author of Sword of the North continues, the Grim Company must battle a dangerous new enemy that is determined to destroy all of humanity...

In the City of Towers, former rebel Sasha and her comrade Davarus Cole struggle to keep the peace between the warring mages who vie for dominion. But when the White Lady sends Davarus south to the Shatt
Published January 3rd 2017 by Roc (first published December 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Steel, please sign up.
Luke Scull This is the final book in the trilogy. There may be more books set in the same world in the future.

Start your review of Dead Man's Steel (The Grim Company, #3)
Samir
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is difficult to rate. I hate it when the last book in the series is the weakest one. I hate it even more when the series in question is the one I love...It really makes me sad :(

After a lot of pondering I decided to give this book 2 stars. First half of the book deserved a 3 star rating but the second half wasn’t as good so it deserved only 2 stars. Actual rating 2.5 stars.

If you had a chance to read my reviews of the previous books of this series you know that I gave them much praise and t
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Dead Man’s Steel was a novel I was eagerly looking forward to reading. The Grim Company and The Sword of the North list among my favorite grimdark novels from the recent past, so, naturally, I assumed the final volume would be the best yet. Unfortunately, after finishing this installment of the series, all I feel is disappointment and a longing for what might have been.

Picking up where The Sword of the North ended, the new masters of Dorminia are the legendary
Andy
Found the last part easier to acclimatise with than the middle book, mind that’s oft the case.

Its a tried & trusted formulaic trilogy with book 1 getting all the gang together, book 2 sees them go separate paths on their quests whilst book 3 puts them all on converging paths for the grand finale.... sound familiar?? No honest im not pouring scorn on whats fast becoming a standard grimdark plot as I do actually enjoy it so long as I ration my fill of it which I have done of late & maybe one of t
Paul O'Neill
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Puts book down
Stands on table
Slow claps Luke Scull for delivering a damn good trilogy

Up there with my top trilogies (Mistborn B Sanderson and Broken Empire M Lawrence). Absolutely fantastic, this final book was the best one yet and soooo satisfying.

This had me on the edge of my seat, I could not put it down. I already want to go back and read the first book again.

The characters are awesome. I cared for each and every one. Usually there is an annoying one (well Cole is annoying but he's annoyin
Mark Lawrence
This was an enjoyable conclusion to the trilogy. It maintained the same style shown throughout the series, though with the humour dialled back somewhat.

The writing, especially in the early chapters, felt as if it had stepped up a notch. The cast remains large but they spend a lot of time together in groups that then merge to one big group.

Davarius Cole and Brodar Kayne remain the twin foci of the story. Davarius continues to be a bit of a Two-Face, brooding and tragic one moment, flip and shallo
Lancer
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've said it a couple of times as ive read through this series but the amount of complete ridiculousness that Scull was able to pack into these rather short (approx 400 page) books is absurd, but absurd in the greatest way possible. Every time you think he can pack in any more crazy plot points or ideas he somehow manages to. Some suspension of disbelief is required to enjoy these as much as I did.

Also a number of characters from the trilogy will be making into to my imaginary favourite charact
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dead Man's Steel (The Grim Company, #3), Luke Scull
Manoj Subberwal
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great finish to a great trilogy, Jerek and Kayne are probably my favorite characters among all fanatasy books i read
David
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Hey! You've got your SciFi in my Fantasy!

Pretty good finale for the Grim Company, though I'd call this one the third best of the series. So, a tiny bit of let-down at the ending. Still, I devoured this series and had great fun reading all 3 of the books.
Joe Lindley
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ending to an enjoyable trilogy
Michael
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in "The Grim Company" trilogy by Luke Scull. This is an epic Fantasy adventure with all the elements a great fantasy needs. In my reviews of the last two books I mentioned that they had everything a great Fantasy needs except a dragon. Well this one has the dragon! In this one the Grim Company reunites to fight an invasion of demons from out of the north and an invasion of Fade, an immortal and nearly indestructible race, from across the ocean. Both the demons and the Fade a ...more
G.R. Matthews
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It has the same gritty tone as the other books in the series and the characters come back, and keep coming back...

The book is full of death and heroes coming back from death, or at least the very brink of death.

It is also a book of multiple endings. An ending is not necessarily the end, even the end might not be the end, though it might be.

I enjoyed the story and characters, there is a lot crammed into the pages and the pace rarely drops. A fitting, and exciting end to the series.

THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy in terms of the story, as far as I'm concerned. It builds up on a grand scale, escalates the tension and conflicts, and delivers a enjoyable climax. Although some readers are somehow disappointed in the manner the story progressed, I'm actually quite enthusiastic and intrigued after reading it. Scull has explored the mythical Fade and their motivations, while giving a vivid picture of the decrepit conditions humanity is in. There isn't clear demarcations of ...more
Thomas Barnard
Not only a poor final entry to a mediocre series, but a poor fantasy novel in general. Completely bereft of tension, good characters, or even an interesting plot and, worst of all, the story takes you through a journey with no apparent direction. You will end up lost, confused, and desperately trying to decide why you stuck out this 15 hour slog.

Since the Grim Company series started with its eponymous first entry I have been quite critical of nearly every aspect of it. The reason I continued rea
Sean Bradshaw
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first thoughts on reading the first book of this trilogy was that this mofo has ripped off JA , and whilst there are parallels I'm pleased to say I was wrong , I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 books , strong characters I was sad to see the back of and a satisfying conclusion. There's plenty of action and also an interesting subtext about the nature of the world the story takes place in that is alluded to throughout. Looking forward to seeing more from The Scull.
Kurama9
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Dead Man’s Steel is book 3 of 3 in The Grim Company series. I did enjoy this book, but I found the previous two books better. The storytelling didn’t seem to flow as well as the previous two, not until the last 3rd of it. I enjoyed how the series wrapped up and it even left a small opening for another book if the author wanted to expand the series.

I thought the inclusion of the Fade and their technology was a bit much, considering the first two books centered on a civilization of where machines
Amy Braun
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gods above and below. I can't remember a book that has sucker-punched me this hard. It was merciless, didn't care who you loved or what you hoped for them. It completely breaks you and leaves you screaming "why why why"... and yet... I still loved it and still recommend it. The story was as intense as the previous two books, packed to the brim with betrayal and heartbreak. I can count on one hand how many truly happy moments there were, and still have fingers to spare. It was great to see more c ...more
Colby Blake
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed the entire series. Was a roller coaster ride & felt that the character Cole's development wasn't exactly what it should be but the character was still very enjoyable. Look forward to more books from this author! ...more
Immie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: immie
Disappointed -- Feel like the author suddenly had an idea for a totally different series, got excited, and decided to try to fit it into this one. Really liked the first 2 books, but this read like a fanfiction mashup.
RG
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Bittersweet ending. Scull has a lot of promise to be one of my fav authors. Just felt this was rushed and had some very strange/weird plotlines. Hopefully he can bring back a novel worthy of Bk 1 or 2.
Jakyro
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A good closure for a satisfying series. I prefer the final book over the first, but I also feel that the second book is better than this one. Nonetheless this was still a very enjoyable read. Luke Scull succeeded in closing of the major plot lines. There are still some threads hanging, but this gives opportunity to write more in this world, something Luke Scull apparentely is currently doing.

The story picks up where we left it in the second book with Brodar Kayne in the north, Sasha and Cole str
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Dead Man's Steel is the stellar finale to Luke Scull's The Grim Company trilogy following on from The Grim Company and Sword of the North.

Taking place after the events at the conclusion of the previous book (Sword of the North) we are thrust right back into the action.

Told from multiple ch
Skuzzy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well.

Spend 3 books building up a conflict with the Herald > Have the "final battle" be about as anti-climatic as can possibly be. Luke spends so much time building up the conflict with the Demon's to have it end with no real battles vs the Demons, and when they fight the Herald it's asleep and the whole ordeal is over in a page. I'm more character development and dialogue oriented than action (action isn't even a secondary appeal to me) but oh my God this was underwhelming as can possibly be.

Pre
Nick Brett
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The end of a satisfying trilogy (and you do need to read them in order). As we reach the final part a lot is thrown in, our Northern warriors, an invasion from an almost invincible from the other side of the world, and the additional problem of demons pouring in. Oh and the use of ancient technology...
This does channel the late, great David Gemmell and a bit of the modern master, Joe Abercrombie but the author tries and succeeds in giving this his own voice. Characters are well defined and you d
Nicholas Jagelman
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
So loved the first two books, yes the writing was clumsy and yes the world was insane but it was fun, the character are interesting and you could see some real growth in them, and the overall story arc seemed good. Like a Mark Lawernce story, but with worse dialogue, which given how rarely you get good grim fantasy is still pretty great.

Now of you are in the same place as me going into the third book, stop. Put down this book and slowly step away from it, this is no Wheel of Osheim. The book sta
Ralph
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this ebook through Netgalley.com, the author Luke Scull, and/or the publisher, Berkeley Publishing Group, in exchange for a review.

This is the third book in The Grim Company series. I really enjoyed this series, but unfortunately, this book pretty much ends the series. Not that I know how much further the story could have gone if it did continue. I was a bit miffed about the end results( I try not to give spoilers), but understand everyone doesn't always get a happily e
Richard Eyres
OH dear, this book dissolved into gibberish. Too many 'hey, what a cool idea, need to throw that in' were added to this. The narrative and pace was all over the place and was confusing. I would imagine it will be a good re-read, but i don't believe we need to read a book once to enjoy it as it should be in the next read.
Some of the characters were great (i am looking at you Wolf), but they needed something to work with better.
This had potential as a series, but lost it in this book. Disappointed
Milan
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Louise Hendley
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this latest installment in the Grim Company series. There is potential I feel for further adventures with some of the characters, although for quite a few their journey will go no further! This has been one of my favorite series. I liked (most) of the characters I met on the journey and cared what happened to them along the way which to me is what a good book is all about.
Steve Wasling
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That went about as well as expected! I have this image in my head of Luke Scull sniggering to himself as he thinks of each messed up situation these characters find themselves in. Still, could be worse; The Vogons didn't turn up at the end!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1)
  • A Plague of Swords (The Traitor Son Cycle, #4)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
  • The Fall of Dragons (The Traitor Son Cycle, #5)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Where Loyalties Lie (Best Laid Plans #1)
  • The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind, #1)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
LUKE SCULL was born in and lives in Bristol. Luke also designs computer roleplaying games and has worked on several acclaimed titles for Ossian Studios and Bioware.

Luke's first novel, THE GRIM COMPANY, was shortlisted for the David Gemmell Morningstar Award, 2014.

Visit his website at: www.lukescull.com

Grim Company (3 books)
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • Sword of the North (Grim Company, #2)