Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon

Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon

(Sherlock Holmes & le Necronomicon #1)

Following his encounter with the vampire Selymes, Sherlock Holmes embarks on an Arctic expedition under the assumed name of Thomas Sigerson. During his excursion, the great detective uncovers strange and dark forces at work, and only learns that some mysteries are best left unsolved!

Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle meets H. P. Lovecraft!
Published October 20th 2015 by Dark Horse Books (first published August 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon

Start your review of Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon
Sean Gibson
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are those who would suggest that mixing Sherlock Holmes with the supernatural is like having a peanut butter and turkey sandwich—two great tastes that maybe don’t go so great together.

As someone whose love for Sherlock is deep and abiding and for whom Dracula was a formative reading experience at the age of 8, however, I say slather as much peanut butter on that turkey as you can, serve it up on some whole grain bread, and shove that thing in my mouth. When it comes to Holmesian pastiche,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle meets H. P. Lovecraft! Yeah, that line taken from the blurb quite summarize this graphic novel pretty good. Sherlock Holmes is on an Arctic expedition after everything that happened in the last volume with the vampire Selymes (A volume that I sadly haven't read). But something is calling him back to London, can it be that an old foe is back...from the dead? And what has the Necronomicon to do with it?

I do have a deep love for everything paranormal, and reading a Sherlock H
Michel Weatherall
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book uniquely forces the question of the different criteria with rating a book vs. a graphic novel. You don't read a graphic novel the same way as you read a book. A graphic novel must be rated on
a) its story and its telling
b) its art
c) use of its art in its story telling.

It is a herculean undertaking and challenge to write a story in the shadows of two literary giants: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and H. P. Lovecraft. But also is the interesting characters and universes these two 'mythos' poten
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss and Dark Horse Comics in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this one. The story was compelling, of course. I mean, the return of Moriarty (after the duel at Reichenback Falls) tied into this, and he's using the Necronomicon? Gimme more!

The artwork was very good, too, and fit the style of the storyline very well.
Wilde Sky
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the original books
Crittermom
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes and the Necronomicon is a simply marvelous graphic novel. This Soleil-Dark Horse joint production combines exquisitely detailed art with a thrilling supernatural plot. Sylvain Cordurie is a French writer and artist known for his tales pitting the classic detective against various nefarious supernatural creatures menacing London.

The one weakness it has is due to its length and format, if is difficult to portray Sherlock’s eye for detail and his superior reasoning ability. What pl
Roy
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Graphic novel. The graphics were nicely done in support of the story.
The story wasn't bad, but there wasn't any Sherlock Holmes there. In other words, if I had replaced the character called Sherlock Holmes and called him John Bloodnock, there would scarcely have been any way to indicate the story was written as a Sherlock Holmes story. In the same way, the story uses Professor Moriarty without any real use of the character as developed by Doyle. In fact, both of these two main characters end up
Ondra Král
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Když už jedu Lovecrafta, narazil jsem na tuhle zajímavou kombinaci. Bohužel je to totální slátanina, kde si musí pomáhat telepaty (sic!), aby příběh vůbec fungoval. Holmes mi přišel strašně out of character (je tam jakési zdůvodnění, ale je divné) a Necronomicon dělá věci, který Cordurié zrovna potřebuje. Všechno špatně.
May 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dnf 75% not for me. I love SH and I love Lovecraft but this mix does not work for me. It is not of a pace or quality - neither in writing or art work -that I have any interest in spending any more juice on it
Calvin Daniels
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
3.5

Another fun and fine effort from Cordurie , with a mystical twist and lots of hints of more to come perhaps?
Tanneke
Nederlandse vertaling... Beter eerst over de 'vampiers' gelezen...
Max Washington
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. Great writing and art. Many Powerful moments. Felt like it was really happening.
Pop Bop
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Well Plotted, Reasonably Entertaining, and Exceptionally Well Drawn

You know, Sherlock Holmes must be one of the most widely used and abused fictional characters in the public domain. (There's even a new book out that's based on the premise that Mrs. Hudson was the real brains behind Holmes and Watson.) So, a mashup of Holmes and the Necronomicon just struck me as possibly a bridge too far. Well, guess what? I'm an idiot. This book was a clever and entertaining variation on the Holmes canon.

This
Iván Giménez
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Aunque la premisa pueda parecer muy interesante (Holmes y los Mitos), no se aprovechan las potencialidades de enfrentar la racionalidad del personaje de Doyle con la locura de los horrores lovecraftianos.
Paul Hasbrouck
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Entertaining Sherlock Holmes adventure with the added spice of Mr. Lovecraft's horrible book making a appearance. A sequel to Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London, Holmes again(both volumes are set during his missing years) returns to London to face the darkest of magic, aided by agents of Queen Victoria, a lovely telepath and his own powers of logic. The bad guys are not surprise, but what is the creeping menace of Queen Victorica and her supernatural henchman-The High Lord.
A lot of Lovec
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This takes place after "Vampires of London", referencing it but is not really necessary to have read that first. Holmes talks more openly about his acceptance of the paranormal throughout this comic and while I didn't buy into it in "Vampires", I was more comfortable with this new Holmes by now. This is a fun story and a mix between Indiana Jones and a Buffy plot-line than anything to be found in a real Sherlock story. Set just after the Reichenbach Falls episode, this is Holmes vs Moriarty vs t ...more
Devero
Feb 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Qualche spunto e idea interessante, ma nel complesso l'albo è facilmente dimenticabile.
Chad
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A solid story featuring Sherlock Holmes talking on the forces of darkness from Lovecraft. Moriarty is back and unknowingly working for the Dark Lords. The first half of the book is very slow. He goes to Antarctica but nothing happens. It would have been the perfect opportunity for Sherlock to visit the lost city, R'lyeh, found in "The Call of Cthulhu". The second half shows Sherlock being consistently outwitted by Moriarty until the end.

Received an advance copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss in e
Brini
Ein schön gezeichneter Comic, allerdings ist dieser selbst für eine Leseprobe/ein Gratisexemplar im falschen Format. Die 5pt-Schrift dürfte auch für Nicht-Brillenträger zu klein sein. Es ist zu viel Text zu klein geschrieben sodass der Lesefluss darunter leidet. Dessen ungeachtet überzeugt die spannende Geschichte.
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A super fun H.P. Lovecraft/Sherlock Holmes crossover story. Great artwork except Sherlock looked like every other not-werewolf, no sideburns man in the story. I'll be keeping this one in my permanent collection!
Lilypad_doodle
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
art was solid and realistic for horror comic very drag colours for the settings which fitted. Story was a bit boring, seemed to not really lead anywhere to me but I liked the characterisation of Holmes and I like Megan who really needed a bigger part of you ask me
Marina Anik
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes going all freaky. Beautiful art.
Chris
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly written with outstanding artwork, letting the life of Holmes carry on yet with a good amount of imagination which doesn't overkill the story.
Camillie Eve
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • Samotność
  • Crna pokrajina
  • Les deux bâtards  (Les mondes de Thorgal - La jeunesse, #8)
  • Saga Valty 3 (Saga Valty, #3)
  • Cudowny lek
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Le Prince de la Nuit, 1 : Le chasseur
  • Take the Mic: The Art of Performance Poetry, Slam, and the Spoken Word
  • Trhlina
  • Zapora
  • La proie des chacals
Sylvain Cordurié is a French comic book writer who usually works in the science fiction and fantasy genres.

Sherlock Holmes & le Necronomicon (2 books)
  • La nuit sur le monde (Sherlock Holmes & le necronomicon, #2)