Start by marking “A Year of Picnics: Recipes for Dining Well in the Great Outdoors” as Want to Read:
A Year of Picnics: Recipes for Dining Well in the Great Outdoors

A Year of Picnics: Recipes for Dining Well in the Great Outdoors

Everyone loves picnicking—dining in the great outdoors, cozied up on blankets, and surrounded by the beauty of the natural world. Now imagine doing it year-round, where the setting speaks to the foods served, and you've got A Year of Picnics!

All it takes is a picnic blanket and some inspiration to take a meal from so-so to sensational. Pair the perfect location with the r
Published April 20th 2017 by Shambhala Publications Inc (first published April 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Year of Picnics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year of Picnics

Olivia (The Candid Cover)
If you are looking for a recipe book that is a little bit different from your typical book of tips and recipes, A Year of Picnics by Ashley English is sure to provide you with some inspiration. Not only are there themed picnics based on the four seasons, there are activities and ideas that revolve around the theme of each picnic. This book is full of fun ways to take your standard picnic and transform it into an event with its beautiful photographs and interesting approach.

As you can imagine, th
Marisa
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful!!! It has beautiful photographs and recipes that I can't wait to try! I think this book is a perfect coffee table book ... it is beautiful, but practical and useful!!
Joanie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of cute ideas however, I don't see myself dragging a full service of dishes and a "portable table" on a picnic hike. Some of the dishes did not seem suited for outdoor fare, and some looked insanely heavy to lug around. (Beef stew in cast iron, anyone?) Perhaps if one is simply plopping down in their backyard... ;)
Lisa
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was super interesting. It was divided into themes, and got broken down for food, activities, and prep. I don't really do picnics but I thought that this was an awesome idea. If I was planning a picnic or an outdoor outing, I would totally use this book. It is well work the look see. There are lots of good pictures and ideas.
Molly
I'm not totally sold on most of the picnic advice parts ("Romantic picnic: feed each other food": Not happening.) but alot of the recipes look pretty tasty. I think that many of them are a bit ambitious for me and my idea of a picnic, but they look good enough to give them a shot.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafty, winnefox
I liked the idea of this book, but the recipes were too fancy for this reader.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Erika
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun whimsical book for anyone into planning for a special party/meal.
Megan Devine
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! Ashley English continues her strong reputation of producing an aesthetically appealing go-to resource. A Year of Picnics is filled with recipes and ideas for picnicking fun!
Rachel
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I really, REALLY want to be the kind of person who takes lots of picnics. I like to be outside and I like to eat so it seems great. But somehow that never seems to happen. Maybe this book will help with that. Not only does it have recipes for picnic foods but each picnic follows a theme. They include tips for choosing the right site and suggestions for activities with each picnic. There is also information about the best ways to carry your picnic and tips for planning a menu that fits your site. ...more
Carly
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Year of Picnics left me yearning for Spring and Summer! Filled with beautiful photos, delightful recipes and creative picnic themes, each page gives inspiration to get outdoors!
Each picnic featured has a theme, menu, craft and or game and activity. The picnics range from small groups of adults, nature outings for children, and even a relaxing lunch break picnic for one!
I look forward to seeing this title in print and I am excited to recommend A Year of Picnics to cookbook lovers and those tha
Dawn
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A Year of Picnics is a gem! Not only does it include the amazing photography of Jen Altman, but also the sage advice of Ashley English on everything from activities to DIY crafts and food handling to yummy picnic fare. Recipes are not limited to the edible variety, included are directions for homemade bug spray and and how to make a portable picnic table. Everyone will want to dust off their picnic basket because English leaves no excuses to keep a picnic confined to one season, location or mood ...more
Tzigane Monda
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
~I loved this book! So many great ideas and lots of fun! I can't wait to plan picnics for my husband and I to enjoy and also for the kids! The pictures are amazing and so beautiful! So grab this book, your picnic basket and a blanket and have fun!
Kara
The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley.
Jess
Kjersten
Jun 09, 2018
Cat
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Its been ever so long since I've been on a picnic! This book has so many inspirational ideas, I may just have to plan a few again! Lots of great recipes and the photos just add to the sense of wanting to organize a picnic with friends and family!
Lisa Jimenez
rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2017
Irene
Jul 28, 2018
elin
Mar 19, 2018
Ashley English is the author of the "Homemade Living" book series (Lark Books) which showcases topics related to small-scale homesteading and some of the diverse ways people are reconnecting with their food and food communities and taking up sustainable food practices.

--from the author's blog