Start by marking “Brave Enough” as Want to Read:
Brave Enough

Brave Enough

From the best-selling author of Wild, a collection of quotes--drawn from the wide range of her writings--that capture her wisdom, courage, and outspoken humor, presented in a gift-sized package that's as irresistible to give as it is to receive.

Around the world, thousands of people have found inspiration in the words of Cheryl Strayed, who in her three prior books and in h
Published October 27th 2015 by Knopf

Debbie
Feb 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A disaster! I thought I'd get witty Nora Ephron and ended up with sappy Hallmark--except the word fuck is thrown in to try to make it badass.

Picking this book up was just a mistake, actually. I didn't realize it was a collection of inspirational quotes, or I would have run for the hills. I got it because Strayed has a good reputation. (I haven't read her books and now I'm thinking I'll stay away.)

If only I had broken my rule and read the damn marketing blurb. I usually avoid blurbs like the pla
Debbie "DJ"
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Oh Cheryl, what were you thinking? These quotes read like something learned in teenage years. I like good quotes, they can touch my heart, but honestly these seem recycled and bland. I really hope this doesn't discourage others from reading both "Wild," and "Dear Sugar," which I thought were fantastic.
Amanda
I felt an immediate connection with Sheryl Strayed upon reading the introduction for Brave Enough. Strayed expresses her passion for quotes because she understands the power of words and the intrinsic human need for renewed encouragement and motivation. I remember the first quote I personally fell in love with being Gandhi's "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." I wrote it onto a magnetic locker mirror so that I would constantly be reminded.

Brave Enough is a collection of quote
Julie Ehlers
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-library
I am a fan of Cheryl Strayed and would recommend Wild and Tiny Beautiful Things to just about anyone, but this particular book should not have happened. Divorcing these quotes from their context did not work at all. I didn't feel uplifted and inspired, which was my goal in reading this. Instead, I felt that a dour Cheryl Strayed was lecturing me on all the ways I was failing to make the most of my life—this in spite of the fact that in her intro, Cheryl expressly says this was not what she was t ...more
♛Tash
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, non-fic
***A gifted copy was provided by the publisher for an honest review***

I loved Wild, the movie, but I haven't ready anything from Cheryl Strayed, so I requested this when I saw this listing in Edelweiss.

This is 160 page book of quotes from Cheryl Strayed, if you want straightforward (mostly anyway) motivation or some tough love, this is a good read and a terrific gift idea.

Quote from the book:

Olivia Baker
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No writer has ever made me feel the way Cheryl Strayed can. She has a way of speaking to you so intimately and without judgment. It's like she's in the room with you. I cannot describe it but it's how I've felt since the moment I picked up Wild. I want to send this book to everyone in my life who means something to me. It is a reminder that we are all doing the best we can and to be OK with that. This sounds incredibly emo and sappy but it's not meant to be. Please please please, read this book ...more
Lisa
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Cheryl Strayed, man. She gets it.
Teresa Bateman
Nov 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As the author herself notes, in the foreword to this book, some of us like to collect quotes--quotes that we return to again and again, and which bring us strength or inspiration when needed. That's why I requested this book. Clearly I should have done more research into the author, and for that I take full blame. I expected to find a lovely book of quotes, like a bag of trail mix--some days you pick out the almonds, some days the M&M's... you get my drift. Unfortunately the author's use of ...more
Lisa
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
I will be rereading this often. I've always been a collector of quotes and inspirational messages, and Strayed's slim volume of wisdom packs a walloping punch. Her insight and inspiration resonated in my soul. I highly recommend for anyone struggling or going through a rough patch on life's highway!
Shaina
Aug 27, 2018 marked it as no-just-not-interested-nope  ·  review of another edition
I read Wild; and I can’t imagine many quotable moments coming from this particular person that would make me feel cheered, inspired, etc. I know that a lot of them may contain curse words and the f-bomb and I am just not into inspiration of that form. I wish her well. I still am not sure she was brave; just really naive and very fortunate to make it off that hike alive.
Melissa Stacy
"Brave Enough" is a book of quotes from the previously-published work of Cheryl Strayed. Many of the quotes in this book were taken from her memoir, "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail" (2012), and her collection of essays, "Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar" (2012).

If you have read those two books, you will remember reading these quotes in their original context. Sadly, reading the quotes on their own just didn't work for me here. Cheryl Strayed cu
Mindy Kannon
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
I read a ton of inspirational books. Most have a few great ideas or points to make that mean a lot! This little book is page after page of "yeah, no shit" quotes that I just love.

This is not a read once and take back to the library book.

I need to own this one, highlight the heck out of it, add little tabs to like each page, dog ear and note the heck out of it!

Some of my favorite quotes - and there are many many more - like 130 of the 135 pages....

"Travel by foot, there is so much you cannot iden
Janet
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, arc, one-day-reads
Strayed's slim volume of advice is a shot in the arm, a no-holds-barred dose of genuine but utterly tough love that all of us need. Open any page and be inspired. If you're generally one to groan when you hear about a new book full of pithy advice, worry not: this one is guaranteed to at least get you right in the gut here and there. It can serve as a great gift for someone who already loves Strayed's work, or it can be a good introduction to those of you who haven't read her stuff but want to d ...more
Jen
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I wish this was already published because I've got a few people I'm going to buy it for as a gift. Brilliant, as always.
Morgan
Yes, this is just a collection of particularly insightful, beautiful quotes from Cheryl Strayed's other works (namely, Dear Sugar) but revisiting some of her most powerful words still fortifies my spirit.

"I considered my options. There was only one, I knew. There was always only one. To keep walking."

"You go on by doing the best you can. You go on by being generous. You go on by being true. You go on by offering comfort to others who can't go on. You go on by allowing the unbearable days to pas
Lorilin
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, wellness, own
I'm a big fan of Cheryl Strayed. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, of course, is great. But Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar was like a revelation to me. Oh my God, I loved that book.

Brave Enough is basically a prettily-packaged collection of quotes taken from Strayed's books, essays, and talks formatted in big text and centered on the page. (See attached picture.) There is no dust jacket, so the cover feels like canvas, but the vibrant green with
Leslie
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Cheryl Strayed but a lot of my favorites weren't in this book. Still a pretty good book but taken out of context the quotes weren't that powerful.
Lisa Filipczak
I think Cheryl Strayed is a bad ass.
Nusrah Javed
These were wonderful! And I am glad something like this exists.
Emilie Emzbooksandco
This little book is so inspiring. A must read
Amanda
Apr 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It's worth noting that I didn't know what this was when I picked it up. I liked Cheryl Strayed's autobiographical Wild.
I was fully on board as I began reading the introduction. The first sentence rang the bell in my heart!
Then things plummeted towards rubbish quality soon after.
I believe in language and words, their beauty and power. This cute little green book was kind of dreadful.
I guess my final verdict is that I don't think it's a good idea to publish a book with the sole purpose of quoting
Margaret
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I still feel ambivalent of a book of quotes from a living author, but Strayed's introduction alleviated some of that angst. Still, maybe in a few years this will be a little more positive than just inspirational quotes. A nice addition would have been where the quote came from book-wise so I could remember in context what they were from rather than looking over the shoulder of someone else's scrapbook.
Mairead
"If someone is being unkind or petty or jealous or distant or weird, you don’t have to take it in. You don’t have to turn it into a big psychodrama about your worth. That behavior so often is not even about you. It’s about the person who’s being unkind or petty or jealous or distant or weird. If this were summed up on a bumper sticker, it would say: Don’t own other people’s crap. The world would be a better place if we all did that."
Roxanne
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a restatement of Strayed's other beautiful writing, and there's no new content here. This book, however, is like a cup of tea, a familiar smell, a soft blanket: The type of feeling that soothes you by virtue of being known to you, by virtue of returning to your life like a friend. It's meant to be re-read, especially in tough moments. The bright green cover is a good reminder of that.
Fryeday
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl is becoming like the Luther Vandross of books for me. She can do no wrong. I personally just connect with her writing whether it be a memoir, an article or a book of quotes. There were several large reminders in this book of the what I can do to continue practicing being the person I desire to be.
Super quick read. Well worth it.
Erin Moulton
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only problem with Cheryl Strayed's new gem is that I want to tear out all the pages and plaster the quotes all around me. It's lovely. I think I'll be returning to it again and again whenever I need a pep talk, inspiration, or a good push toward the writing desk. Highly recommend.
Lorrie
If you loved "Wild", then you'll love this book. It contains many Cheryl Strayed quotes. Reading through it brought to mind so many of the reasons I enjoyed "Wild" so much. I bought the hard bound copy, which I normally don't do anymore....but I HAD to....because I love this book!!!
Nova Dudley-gough
Probably shouldn't have read this just after Tiny Beautiful Things. I liked it but I felt that in context, the quotes have a lot more power. I'll read TBT again but probably not this. I also suspect that a kindle doesn't really do the idea justice. Oh well.
Jay Zes
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should read her other works, I know. But I'm counting this as a book because it had some bomb quotes and I want to meet my Reading Challenge target.
Rhonda
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved all the quotes in this book. It's a book I will come back to time and again.
Fantastic Books &...: May's Book! Brave Enough by Cheryl Strayed 1 6 May 04, 2017 09:27AM
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • A Year Between Friends: 3191 Miles Apart: Crafts, Recipes, Letters, and Stories
  • Wer wir waren
  • The Responsibility of Intellectuals
  • Appetites: On the Search for True Nourishment
  • Die Freiheit, frei zu sein
  • Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou
  • Ein Tag im Jahr
  • Self-Compassion - I Don't Have To Feel Better Than Others To Feel Good About Myself: Learn How To See Self Esteem Through The Lens Of Self-Love and Mindfulness and Cultivate The Courage To Be You
  • Fully Alive: A Retreat with Pema Chodron on Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • Smile
  • Humanity
  • Adam's Return: The Five Promises of Male Initiation
  • Be Happy: 170 Ways to Transform Your Day
  • Help: The First Essential Prayer (Help, Thanks, Wow)
  • Take My Advice: Letters to the Next Generation from People Who Know a Thing or Two
  • Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession With Food
Cheryl Strayed is the author of four books: Tiny Beautiful Things, Torch, Brave Enough, and the #1 New York Times bestseller, Wild. She also co-hosts the hit podcast Dear Sugar Radio. You can find a listing of her events and answers to FAQ on her web site: http://www.cherylstrayed.com/
“If, as a culture, we don’t bear witness to grief, the burden of loss is placed entirely upon the bereaved, while the rest of us avert our eyes and wait for those in mourning to stop being sad, to let go, to move on, to cheer up. And if they don’t — if they have loved too deeply, if they do wake each morning thinking, I cannot continue to live — well, then we pathologize their pain; we call their suffering a disease.
We do not help them: we tell them that they need to get help.”
54 likes
“Hello, fear. Thank you for being here. You’re my indication that I’m doing what I need to do.” 46 likes