Start by marking “Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!” as Want to Read:
Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!

Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!

"A valuable first step in celebrating the Asperger’s child."—Massachusetts General Hospital’s Aspire Program

Isaac may look like everyone else, but he actually has superpowers that make him different from his brother and his classmates. Some kids don’t understand that and call him names. But Isaac’s superhero brain remembers loads of things, he has energy enough to bounce
Published March 22nd 2016 by Candlewick Press (first published March 8th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!

Start your review of Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!
Jasmine
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good intro to what living with autism can be like, though I wasn't super into the "i'm a super hero, no not really" storytelling conceit. Possibly just cause I was grumpy that day. I was very amused by the page explaining why Isaac wasn't into eye contact though, a page showing staring eyes WAY TOO CLOSE, which I thought was a succinct and funny way of explaining why some people aren't super into faces.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Good book that describes one boy's experience with Asperger's syndrome. One of the things that is so difficult about writing books about those on the autism spectrum is that each person is so different in terms of strengths, deficits, stims, interests, and needs. I have been working with children on the spectrum (including a few diagnosed with Asperger's before it was discontinued) for the past six years and have never met two children who
Barb
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-ya
This is a great book that is written by someone who loves someone with Asperger's. It reminds me of a T-shirt I saw a person wearing once that said "Autism is my superpower. What is yours?" It is such a positively empowering statement, that I almost wished I had Autism! I am more of a sidekick to those with Autism, so that is my superpower. This book has lovely bold illustrations and helps readers to understand a bit more about Asperger's, Autism and Sensory processing disorders. Enjoy.
Julie
Well written and illustrated book about a young boy with Aspergers.
Anna Smith
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Story summary:
Isaac is a young boy who has aspergers and he wants his friends to know who he is and that he might not be like them but he is a normal boy!
Grade: 1st-4th
Classroom: reading and comprehension
Individual: children who have a disability or students who might not understand those with special needs.
Small group: discuss isaacs feelings about how others are treated.
Whole classroom: read aloud during bullying and special needs week
Related: any books about people with special needs or
Christine
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice framing of Asperger Syndrome as making kids extra good at some things (a fantastic brain that remembers lots of things, exceptional hearing) though those behaviors might run them into social difficulty. I like the ending that admits he's not really a superhero though he likes playing superheroes.
Marie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from the library to read to my Aspie kid, but ended up not using it because I doubted he's find it very relatable. As I didn't find the book useful for my purpose, let me start with what I found to be negative points. This kind of book is always tricky because you want to keep a balance between being accurate and being specific. You might want to give concrete examples for clarity , but you don't want to get overly specific or fall into stereotypes too much, because examples ...more
Desree Hawes
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Melanie Walsh’s book, Isaac and his amazing super powers she does an amazing job with writing it. The story of a young boy named Isaac, better known as a superhero takes the audience on an adventure of what all his powers can do. However, what makes this book realistic fiction is actually the super power Isaac possesses. This power makes Isaac slightly different than other kids his age. The power also allows him to remember interesting facts and have loads of energy all day. Ultimately his ...more
Helen Zhang
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: realistic
Grade Levels = Pre-K, 1-2

Summary:
Isaac has Aspergers, a type of Autism, which makes him different from the other students. He can hear sounds that others can’t hear, he can find things that others can’t see, and he needs special toys to stay focused in school. He learns from his parents not to say certain things but rather think them in his head because it can offend others so Isaac has learned to keep his comments to himself.

Review:
This storybook is a great way to introduce autism to
Zachary Hughes
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Isaac is a young boy who has aspergers and he wants his friends to know who he is and that heisn't like them, but he is special in his own way, like everyone else.
Grade: 1st-4th
Classroom: reading and comprehension
Small group: discuss isaacs feelings about how others are treated.
Whole classroom: read aloud during bullying and special needs week
Related: any books about people with special
Tweedledum
I am building up a little collection of books to show to parents who are wondering about how and when to tell their children about the "A" word. This one arrived in the post today. Great for young children focusing on the positives and just touching on a couple of common problems. I hope this book will help take away some of the fear and anxiety around telling your child he or she is on the spectrum.
Marissa Dunbar
This is probably one of my favorite books I have read, this gives a child a look into the life of a child with Asperger’s, and how they think, things that bother them, and how they function. I feel the way it was portrayed as well helps a child reading this understand what it is saying. The illustrations were child like and simple, kind of like the cut and paste technique, which I feel complemented the text.
Lacey
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish they had this when I was growing up, as my younger brother has Aspergers. This is a great way to introduce the topic, especially if someone the kids know has Aspergers, and it gives some insight as to what kinds of 'different' things those affected do, and why. I'll be adding this to my classroom.
Devon
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook, autism
Isaac is a young boy who has Asperger’s Syndrome. He explains to readers that it allows him to have special superpowers—he has a lot of energy and he’s very good at remembering things. He also tells readers that he it’s hard for him to make eye contact and he’s not trying to be rude. Isaac also explains that Asperger’s is a kind of autism and that it makes his brain work differently.
Mariah T.
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers! Is a great children's picture book to teach children about aspergers. Isaac is a young boy who has Aspergers, throughout the story Isaac explains how he thinks and behaves because of his aspergers. This book is great to use with young chidren to help them understand someone with aspergers.
Anne
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book and should be read by everyone. It gives the reader some insight on why some children do some of the things that they do. They aren't being rude or disrespectful, it is just how they are and should be loved as such. The gifts that these kids have should never be overlooked.
Cassidy Miller
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
While this book doesn’t exactly contain “facts” about autism and Asperger’s, if does give some insight. This makes this book a good one to have in the classroom to explain to other students and siblings of those with ASD.
Clara McIntosh
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome and it explains on a children's level what Asperger's is and how those with Asperger's act and learn. I would keep this book in class to promote diversity and help with acceptance of others in my classroom.
Disabled Children In Picture Books
The main character is autistic, specifically with Asperger's Syndrome.
Sydney
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My field experience teacher read this and it was honestly such an inspiring and insightful book and it makes it a lot easier to discuss difficult topics in a lighter way.
Darren Walland
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story can be used to illustrate to children how different we all are and that we should be valued for our differences.
Miss Sarah
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this picture book told fromt eh perspective of a boy with asperger's who talks about the ways he copes int eh world. Preschool and up
Amelia
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm happy that I learned about autism. I learned when you have it your ears can be strong listeners. But sometimes it can hurt they're ears. Isaac's brain works differently and that's OK.
Katie Douglas
Author: Melanie Walsh
Illustrator: Melanie Walsh
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Copyright: 2016
Target Audience: 1st grade read aloud
Keywords: Aspergers, super powers, super hero, type of autism,
Sierra Kisiday
people who are so called "different" may relate to this story. It can help through a lot of different things going on. I think these kind of stories are always cute and inspiring.
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This review was published on Lost in a Good Book

This is a book that celebrates the great talents and explains the challenges that a child with Asperger’s might face. It turns Isaac’s differences into his own superpowers. His boundless energy lets him play for hours on the trampoline, and he is always thinking of things therefore he might forget to say hello to someone.

The narrative explains some of the downsides too like being sensitive to noises and not wanting to look people in the eye, but
Hilary
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Isaac is aware that he is not really a super hero, but he likes to pretend he is one. He celebrates traits of Asperger Syndrome, which he has, as super powers -- a brain with a phenomenal memory, exceptional hearing...). All children will be able to identify with Isaac’s enjoyment in this game. The boldly graphic vibrant illustrations will also appeal to all young readers.

Author Melanie Walsh felt prompted to write this picture book to fill a gap in the literature that she perceived as a parent
Library_geek
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A beautiful introduction in understanding how Asperger's manifests itself.

Melanie Walsh has cleverly described Isaac as having a superpower. Even as an adult it gave me insight into Asperger's in a delightfully simple yet informative way.

I think it is a wonderful book for introducing children to Isaac's superpowers and how simple everyday actions, words or emotions can be quite confusing and sometimes scary to Isaac.

I think this book is a must read for any child and not just if they have contact
Lynn
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
One reviewer mentioned that this book held the common stereotypes, so I wonder what details he was referring to. Another reviewer commented positively on the ending that includes admission by the boy that he isn't really a superhero, and I agree it makes a great wrap-up for the book.
Since there is a quote from the Mass. General Hospital's Aspire Program and the author's son apparently has ASD, I would accept their authority on the topic and feel comfortable recommending this to teachers or even
Kate Puleo Unger
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
ages 5-10

Isaac has Asperger's, and other people don't always understand him. In this book he explains his "superpowers" so that kids can understand what it means to have Asperger's. He says things when they pop into his head, he doesn't always get jokes, high pitch noises hurt his ears, he doesn't like to make eye contact, etc. It's a great book to help explain this condition.

• The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • The Book of Mistakes
  • Brave Molly: (Empowering Books for Kids, Overcoming Fear Kids Books, Bravery Books for Kids)
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Little Robot
  • Jack (Not Jackie)
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • To the Arctic
  • The Neighbors
  • The Three Snow Bears
  • Dear Girl,
  • When We Were Alone
  • We Are the Gardeners
  • Love That Boy: What Two Presidents, Eight Road Trips, and My Son Taught Me About a Parent's Expectations
Melanie Walsh (born 18 July 1964) is an English writer and illustrator of children's books. She studied at Harrow School of Art and the Royal College of Art.

Walsh has published 46 works in 98 publications. Her books have been translated into nine different languages.[1]