Start by marking “Alan's Big, Scary Teeth” as Want to Read:
Alan's Big, Scary Teeth

Alan's Big, Scary Teeth

Meet Alan, an alligator with a secret. Famed for his big, scary teeth, he sneaks into the jungle every day to scare the jungle animals ..."I'm big, scary Alan! Fear my razor-sharp teeth!" But after a long day of scaring, Alan likes nothing better than to run a warm mud bath and take out his false teeth, which nobody knows about! That is, until his teeth go missing. What wi ...more
Published February 23rd 2016 by Candlewick Press (first published February 9th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Alan's Big, Scary Teeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alan's Big, Scary Teeth

Whispering Stories
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Alan the Crocodile likes to scare the other animals in the jungle. It’s all he knows how to do. Every morning he polishes his scales, sharpens his nails, brushes each of his teeth for ten minutes and practices his frightening faces in the mirror, then he sets off to go and do some scaring. Returning home later that day filled with joy.

However, Alan has a secret. His big teeth are not real, they are false. When he loses his teeth he doesn’t know
Louise
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
My little ones loved this. Bright pictures, lots of fun animal sounds.
Trulsa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ultimat sagostundsbok. Kan hädanefter bara gå med på att hoppa in som sagoläsare om jag får läsa böcker med minst ett rejält MOA-HA-HA-HA skratt.

Häftiga och roliga bilder, rolig tappat-löständerna-röst som inte kan annat än gå hem hos ungarna hur dålig man än är på röster.

Minuspoäng på att inga av djungeldjuren var tjejer, men i sagostundsfallet löstes det genom att döpa om den läskiga krokodilen i saga nr 2 från Krille till Kerstin.
Ivy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Well! That was a plot twist we did not expect!
Ana Calabresi
This one was a blast in storytime! So funny! The kids didn't see the big surprise coming. And they had lots of reaction during the reading. I will certainly read it again in the future.
Deb
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alena
I laughed out loud while reading this book to Alena today. She likes the book too. I read Alan's voice in a very loud, low, scary way. It was hilarious how Alena reacted with loud noises of her own. This one has fun illustrations and a good message too.
Gina
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty fun. In addition to some good lessons about cooperating and adapting, kids should enjoy the absurdity of an alligator who needs (and has lost) his dentures.
Mehsi
Wat een hilarisch, leuk, mooi geillustreerd boek!

Ik zag deze in de boekenhandel en de titel sprak me meteen aan. Ik wilde wel weten hoe gevaarlijk die tanden van Marc nou waren, de cover zag er mooi en kleurrijk uit, en toen die blurb. Tja, toen wilde ik ook nog weten wat nou dat Grote Geheim is.

En wat was dit grappig zeg. Ik moet wel zeggen dat ik Marc niet altijd mocht. Ik vond hem maar gemeen en een bullebak. Dieren laten schrikken is niet aardig, en dus, toen zijn geheim uitkwam, had ik eers
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Jarvis Alan’s Big Scary Teeth, PICTURE BOOK. Candlewick Press, 2016. $16.99

Alan the Alligator prides himself on being scary. That’s what he does all day - scares the animals in the jungle. But at night, he takes out his teeth because they are false teeth. When Barry the Beaver discovers Alan’s secret, he takes the teeth and tells the other animals. Now everyone is laughing at Alan and he certainly isn’t scary anymore. The animals make a deal with Alan, that changes his role in the jungle.

Thi
Heidi-Marie
This started out a little meh for me, and then turned to enjoyment. Fun twist--fun possibility to read aloud in storytime. Loved the ending with the beaver. Made me smile. Not oh my goodness amazing. But fun and one kids will probably enjoy.

3/10/18 SD picked this for bedtime read. She smiled, but didn't seem to laugh as much as I thought she could. It was also a very late night. Maybe she missed a couple of things. But she still enjoyed. Was confused about why he was telling scary stories when h
Kayla
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Lloyd loved this book!
Strawberry
This is a very funny board book with some great illustrations and a brilliant twist. Alan is an alligator and comes from a long line of scary alligators. Everyday after brushing his teeth, he goes into the jungle to scare everyone. All the jungle animals are scared of Alan and his big scary teeth, and Alan enjoys scaring them. But when he’s alone Alan reveals his not-so-scary secret, a secret which none of the jungle animals can ever find out!

This board book is around A5 in size and is filled wi
Bex
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is hilarious - I'm not embarrassed to admit it even made me chuckle to myself!

Alan comes from a long line of super scary alligators with perfectly sharp, sparkly white teeth to make that job all the more easy. But unfortunately Alan is hiding a pretty big secret. His teeth are FAKE! So, naturally, Alan hides his teeth when he goes to sleep so that all the animals he scares each day won't know he's a phoney. That is until one of them steals his teeth!

I liked Alan as a character - he's
Mirae Deimel
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Debra
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a board backed book which I always feel are designed for younger toddlers of 2.5 years and under. However, the story in this book is quite complex and long for a child of that age. The story is probably better suited for an older pre-school child.
The story is about Alan the scary alligator. He has big scary teeth and goes about scaring the jungle animals. That is until they discover that he has false teeth and he looses them so he isn't scary anymore. Alan does get his teeth back but pro
Ramon Requena
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 230
This story is about Alan, an alligator, who loves to scare the jungle animals with his... fake teeth. One morning, his teeth were taken and he had no choice but to try to scare without his teeth. He was embarrassed, so he went home and cried; here, the animals agreed to give his teeth back if he would stop scaring them and instead help in the community, so he did. This story brings the theme of finding what one is good at and what defines them. This is told through a simple but effective story.
T
Roxanne
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-cherie
Lindsay Soltis
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is about a big alligator named Alan who loves to scare everyone in the forest with his big teeth, until he lost them and he couldn't scare anyone anymore. Once he found them, the animals in the forest had one condition about his big scary teeth. Alan loved being scary. The story has a moral to it and it shows children that it isn't nice to be mean to friends or even people you don't know. The one possible issue of the story is that there are too many colors and it can be distracting f ...more
Kenneth
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
What a fantastic book! The surprises in the book, keeps you wanting for more. The lessons that you could teach using this book are endless. You could use this book to teach bullying, friendship, or how to use other talents to be successful. The illustrations are simple but detailed enough to find the characters. Here is a short rundown of the book: Alan has a talent and he enjoys using his talent, but his talent is harmful to others. Alan has secret. He has friends to help him find his hidden ta ...more
Tori
Alan is very proud of his big, scary teeth (which are false). When they go missing, he tries to be scary without them.
This book was a screaming success in both my pre-k and toddler storytimes. The kids and parents both laughed in surprise when they discovered that Alan's teeth were false. The story prompted a great discussion about how Alan needed to behave better to make friends and whether or not his actions at the beginning of the story were kind.
I followed this up with Jbrary's "There was a
Theresa Worona
I loved this book! the pictures were amazing, the story was amazing, and the text was awesome! i loved how the text adapted when Alan lost his fake teeth and he sounded silly with no teeth in his mouth, that was a great touch in letting the reader in on the context of what a tooth alligator would sound like. while the pictures were not the most fine tuned, they were still so detailed and very colorful and created a sense of mood in the story with the animals being scared at first, and then endin ...more
Brook Donatelli
I thought this was a silly book, I’m sure that young children would enjoy this one a lot! I enjoyed the illustrations because they were also silly and really made the story itself come alive while reading it. My favorite thing about this book was how I felt like I HAD to read it in a certain “alligator” voice. The story line about Alan being the bully who turns up being helpful was a good message for young children as well. Alan felt like he had to use his teeth to scare the other animals, until ...more
Jenn
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of Charlotte's Amazon picture books. Alan the alligator has big sharp teeth that he likes to use to scare the other animals in the jungle, but it turns out that they're dentures. When his teeth are stolen, Alan has to figure out who he is without his scary teeth. The other animals feel sorry for him and agree to return the teeth if Alan promises to no longer scare them.

The moral is okay. Pictures are nice. It's just not anything special to me. Or to Charlotte by the looks of it.

Also
Lara
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very silly book. This one would make for a fun storytime - alligators or jungle animals or being nice to friends. The pictures are very big and bright, good for a group read. And there's plenty of potential for fun sounds and animal noises. Plus Alan's Big Secret is a little more unusual, not the same ol' picture book plot device. Kids will get a kick out of it, I'm sure - he looks so silly! Alan does learn a good lesson too, about being nice to friends and using talents positively (even if his ...more
Olivia Mullen
I found this book to be very cute as a read aloud for a classroom of young children or even as a right time story at home. The storyline is very entertaining and engaging because the children are anxious to see what Alan is going to do next after losing his scary teeth. The message is also cute as now he must find different ways to fit in which children can relate too. The illustrations and image of Alan compliment the story and help engage the child also.
Charlie Moses
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was fun. Alan and his big, scary teeth have everyone scared of him. This is just what Alan wants, of course, but Alan has a secret, and when the truth is discovered, he has to find a new way to relate to his neighbors. Which, surprisingly, turns out to be better than what he had before. Hey! It's an important life lesson! Whaddaya know! And it's an enjoyable book whose appeal doesn't wear out quickly.
ashley folman
The book Alan's Big Scary Teeth is about doing what all alligators are known for doing, scaring people with their big sharp teeth. That's all they know how to do really. But this gator has an issue, his big and scary teeth are FAKE!!! He lies to everyone and tries scaring them, until his teeth go missing... Who do you think took the teeth??? This book is recommended for the preschool age.
Chloe Baker
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story tells us what happens when a scary alligator can’t find his scary teeth! The animals don’t fall off their branches in terror, they fall off laughing. The story explores how the animals come to an agreement of how Alan the alligator can use his scary talent.
The pictures bring the story to life and help children to understand the new vocabulary.
Karen
About five minutes after finishing this book, I had a mom come in looking for a book about biting. Perfect! She walked out with this book about an alligator who terrifies the other animals with his teeth. When the other animals call him on it though, he realizes being a friend is nicer than wielding his choppers. Good story time potential too.
Cassie Thornton
I thought the images in this picture were interesting. Some on the animals in this book were not painted their natural colors. I didn't like this because it could make younger readers think that there could really be pink monkeys out there. The colors were bright all throughout this book. I think this book is good to show students that even animals have feelings.

• Dragon Was Terrible
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • Horrible Bear!
  • The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water
  • Big Bad Bubble
  • One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree
  • Quit Calling Me a Monster!
  • Get Out of My Bath!
  • Baabwaa and Wooliam: A Tale of Literacy, Dental Hygiene, and Friendship
  • Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Nobody's Duck
  • Poor Little Guy
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Hector and Hummingbird
  • Max the Brave
  • A Piece of Cake
Jarvis is an illustrator and animator who has worked as both a record jacket designer and an animation director. He lives in Manchester, England.