Start by marking “A Big Surprise for Little Card” as Want to Read:
A Big Surprise for Little Card

A Big Surprise for Little Card

In the world of cards, each one has a special job to do. Big Card keeps important papers in order. Tiny Card can be exchanged for a prize in an arcade. Round Card hangs out in a glamorous boutique. But is any card as lucky as Little Card?
Published February 9th 2016 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about A Big Surprise for Little Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Big Surprise for Little Card

Ranea
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It had me at, "The library wasn't exactly like a birthday, but it was close." :)
M. Lauritano
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Being a follower of Anna Raff, I have been seeing this book here and there on the internet and I finally dared to pick it up this afternoon. At its heart, it is an inoffensive celebration of libraries and librarians told through the experiences of the title character, an anthropomorphic library card. I guess I have to admit that no one has made a book with a library card as a character before, so it isn't unoriginal. But, ultimately, I felt compelled to put my thoughts down in a review because o ...more
Moms3Kidz
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Big Surprise for Little Card-By Charise Mericle Harper & Illustrated by Anna Raff

What a great for kids book who will be getting their first library card! We are such book lovers and readers and we love using our "little card" at our local Rebecca Baine Rigby Library (Madison County Library System). My kids theme saying is: "Yay, Library"! when it's time to go visit.

The easy-to-read font and awesome illustrations will appeal to young readers.

Librarians will find this picture book to be a ni
Jillian
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a keeper, even if it's a bit too long to use in a storytime.

But it was so cute! Little Card was sooooo excited to be a birthday card, and I was afraid that - when he found out about the mix-up - the story was going to be about learning to live with not being meant for something, or making the best of a bad situation. And don't get me wrong, those are both great lessons! It's important for kids to know that sometimes things don't work out, and you just have to deal with it.
But
Holly Claxton
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Reading this book made me nostalgic for my elementary school library, and the days I would spend at the public libraries surrounding me. Now I work for the public libraries, and this is a cute story for kids that can't wait to get their library cards!
Tegan
Cute book about the importance of a library card.
Anna Louise
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute!
Annette
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A BIG SURPRISE FOR LITTLE CARD by Charise Mericle Harper tells the sweet story of a young card who is destined to become a library card.

When Little Card opens the wrong letter, he thinks he’ll going to be trained as a birthday card. However he soon realizes that his destiny lies with a librarian named Miss Penny and a young library user called Alex.

The easy-to-read font and whimsical illustrations will appeal to young readers.

Librarians will find this picture book to be a nice addition to their
Colona Public Library
This was a great picture book about a library card, and is the perfect book to read in September for National Library Card Sign-up Month. I highly recommend that everyone should read this book to there kids when they get their first library card.

This book explains that every card has a job to do such: prize tickets, price tickets, post cards, folders, birthday cards, and library cards. They all have to learn a special job depending on their size. When some of their job letters get mixed in the
Holly
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: candy-challenge
I'm going to be honest, I read this book because the cover and the pictures are so CUTE! I also really liked the font used :) Anyway, the story was about a card who tries out different card jobs. He is a library card one day and a birthday card the next. What card is the best card? Is one card better than the other? You'll have to read the book to find out.
Casandria
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Guess what? He's a library card!
Rebecca
Mar 07, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Librarian alert!! "Fall in love with a disarming picture-book hero in this quirky ode to spirit, identity, and the joy of having (or being) a library card."
Ben Truong
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Big Surprise for Little Card is a children's picture book written by Charise Mericle Harper and illustrated by Anna Raff. It is a book about several anthropomorphic cards living together – each has their own jobs except for two – Little Card and Long Card.

Harper's text is rather straightforward and adorable – that is if you think anthropomorphic cards are adorable, which strangely I do. Raff's illustration is simplistic – the cards seem realistic in a cartoonish manner, while everything else s
Baby Bookworm
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Today’s book is A Big Surprise For Little Card, written by Charise Mericle Harper and illustrated by Anna Raff, a wonderfully fun story about a little card with a big destiny.

Little Card lives in an apartment building with many other cards, like price tags, prize tickets, and office folders. The only ones who do not know their job yet are Little Card and his friend, Long Card. T
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Harper, Charise Mericle A Big Surprise for Little Card, illustrated by Ann Raff. PICTURE BOOK. Candlewick Press, 2016. $16.99. Content: G.

Little Card grew up with all sorts of other cards, including folders, price tags, and postcards. He's thrilled when his assignment finally comes, and he gets to become a birthday card! Only, it turns out there was a mistake, and this very loud card is going to a library instead.

This was a cute introduction to library cards, especially in public libraries, but
Sam W
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Catherine
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
That was such a cute book. I feel that older children would like it because they could read it themselves; and little children can have their parents read it, to them.
I like how Little Card was so happy about being in the library; he acted like a little kid. This is why I feel this book will appeal to all ages.
Ryan
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such an adorable book. There are all types of cards and each has their own special duty. Little Card was excited to find out he was a birthday card. However, he got his letter switched up with Long Card, and he is not a Birthday card. He is a library card. A fun read, even if you don’t have a library nearby.
Meredith
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this, but it fell flat. The beginning with the cards living in an apartment was strange. I did enjoy some of the actual library part, but wouldn't use it at school because 1. the kids can't come every day, 2. they can't bring snacks, and 3. I don't care if they're quiet or loud.
Bridgette
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved that this book promotes library cards and will get a professional copy for story time use. However, it still made libraries out to be a very quiet and drab place. This stereotype is why a lot of children still doesn't want to come to the library or think it's a cool place to hang out.
Rommel Sison
7-year-old daughter: 🃏🃏🃏
5-year-old daughter: 🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏
Antoinette Scully
A very cute story about a card who learns how to become a library card. And how you can have the excitement of a birthday every day.
Ann Tuennerman
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable book! I am going to read it to my students next week as I give them their new library cards!
Susan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very cute book sure to delight librarians and those who love libraries! I especially liked the surprise ending and the colorful illustrations.
Rachel
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A recommendations from a fellow LA, this was a cute book about a everyone having their own job and Little Card having one of the most important ones of all. He is a library card!
Stephanie Fujii
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The sweetest. A celebration of the magic of reading, and of libraries. A sweet story, with great illustrations.
Jordana
If I could be a picture book, I would be this one! :) I love this book! <3
Tasha
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Every card has a special grown up job, except for Little Card and Long Card. There were cards who were price tags, others were office folders, others were postcards. So the two cards waited for their special letter to arrive. But on the day the letter arrived, the two cards collided and cards went everywhere. Little Card picked up a letter and read that he was going to be a birthday card! He got lots of training and found that he loved everything about being a birthday card. But one day when he ...more
Vera Godley
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a child growing up, I only used the school library as directed and required by my teachers. I don't recall the delightful world of children's picture books, and yet surely there were delightful picture books during that time. However, as my own children came along, I discovered and came to love this special world that engages, educates, and entertains the young child - from the time when my own children just looked at pictures and identified objects and people to where there are lots of words ...more
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Circus to the Library, Don't!
  • Wanted! Ralfy Rabbit, Book Burglar
  • Isabella, Star of the Story
  • Books for Me!
  • Floaty
  • How to Read a Story
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • The Wonderful Fluffy Little Squishy
  • Please, Open This Book!
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog