Start by marking “Who We Are!: All About Being the Same and Being Different” as Want to Read:
Who We Are!: All About Being the Same and Being Different

Who We Are!: All About Being the Same and Being Different

(Let’s Talk About You and Me)

New York Times best-selling author Robie H. Harris helps preschoolers understand what makes us who we are — from our height to our hair, from the shade of our skin to our eyesight.

Join Nellie, Gus, baby Jake, and their parents at Funland as they go on rides, watch performers, and play games along with many other children and grown-ups. As they enjoy their excursion, they —
Published March 22nd 2016 by Candlewick Press (first published March 8th 2016)

Stefanie Burns
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Long, but thorough picture book on what makes us different. The book explains that some people look alike, but not exactly alike. We all have different skin color, hair color, eye shape, skin blemishes, etc. Good way to point out how even though we all may look different, we are still similar and may like the same things. A book about acceptance and diversity. Just take note it does use the words vagina and penis.
Kristin
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book summary: This book is about discussing who we are and the similarities between people and the differences between people. This includes eye color, or skin color, or hair color and teaches the kids about differences in tones of skin and words such as melanin.
Grade level: K-5
Appropriate classroom use: This is a good interactive book the students could read this book or have it be read to them and then discuss what is different between them and their partner next to them or group at their tab
Jessica Silva
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
Summary: This book creates opportunity for a productive conversation about how to treat others who may be different with respect. Characters Ellie, Gus, Baby Jake, and their parents take the reader on a trip to Funland, where they go on rides, watch a performer, and play games with other kids and adults who portray what our nation looks like and different people that exist around our world. It reinforces the idea that diversity is all around us in our daily lives.

Review: This book teaches the v
Emily Peter
This picture book explores what makes us unique, while also reminding the reader to keep in mind that people have a lot in common, also. This book illustrates many different looking people and families, and reminds reader that even though differences can sometimes be scary, it would be really boring if everyone was the same.

An idea for an activity is simply to give your students supplies to create a self portrait where they can depict their own view of themselves and compare similarities and di
Michelle Matash
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a great read. It talked about how everyone is different , and there is only one "you". It gave examples of how skin tone, eyes color, hair color, shapes and sizes all make us different, but despite our differences people have a lot in common. At the end the author states "we all have feelings". I really liked the way the story was wrapped up with that because it can make children notice a time where they were feeling sad or upset and realize that it is not okay to pick on ...more
Hannah Brewster
This book addresses all the differences people have. It can spark great conversation! The only things may bring concern is if it’s conversations teachers should have or primarily parents. It may be best to provide discussions for families. The book is thorough, but way too long for some readers.

Traits: Ideas, Word Choice

Reading Levels:
DRA - 20
AR - 2.6
Angie Munoz
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
Another book that teaches about diversity. It shows to accept differences. The differences include eyes, hair color, and skin color.
Hunter
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
As far as children's books go, it was okay
Hannah
Mar 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: multicultural
This multicultural book touched on all of the ways that people can be different. It also went on to explain that differences are okay!
Thehappymeerkat
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a paperback copy of this book for free from the publisher Walker Books in return for a review.

This book aims to teach kids how we are all different, but also the same. Being a touch wider and shorter than an A4 book, this paperback has thick glossy pages filled with images and text. We follow the story of brother and sister Nellie and Gus as they enter Funland with their parents, baby brother and countless other families who all look different but are also the same.

This book is really
Alexis Speciale
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text-set
This book you could really see through the images the idea that the book was trying to get across and I thought that that was super cool! I really enjoyed reading this book!
Whispering Stories
Who We Are!, is a book for teaching children that in this world, there are lots of different people, and no-one is the same. From our skin, eyes, hair colour, to our height, weight, the clothes we wear and the way that we act, we are all different and unique.

It teaches children that it is good to be different, and that the world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

We go on a journey to Funland with Nellie, Gus, their baby brother Jake, and mum and dad. Whilst there, they notice that
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read many blog posts about talking to our children about diversity and trying to break down racism. This book is the perfect tool. It's marketed as a preschool book, but the text is long, so I think it's better suited for early elementary age kids. It talks about the things that make us all the same - physiologically - and the outward things that make us different - skin color, eye color, hair color, favorite foods, etc. The characters in the book are a mixed race family. The brother and ...more
Emily
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-2nd
Harris gives us a wonderful primary non-fiction book about the similarities and differences of the billions of people in the world. Throughout the trip to Funland, Nellie and Gus, two energetic children, see people that represent those from around the world. We see many races throughout the Funland trip, and the children highlighted are assumed to be biracial. There is a great mention of the different shades of skin colors we have, and how even in a family, they can be different. We learn about ...more
Jillian
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
There's good stuff happening in this book, but it's way too long to hold the attention of its intended audience. The repetition also gets very old - literally the same sentences about melanin were repeated for skin, eye, and hair color. Every possible physical trait was addressed and repeated, and I started skimming. Differences in religion were baaaaaarely mentioned (something about celebrating certain holidays) and disabilities only got the barest nod (wearing glasses, using a wheelchair or cr ...more
Maggie Mattmiller
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Wayyy too long and conversational. To me, a lot of this is valuable to talk to kids about, at some time or another. But to me, a lot of this should come from parents, teachers, adults conversationally. It shouldn't be scripted, because we would want kids to feel like we believe this, we know this, without having to read it. Although, I will say that I do use books a lot, so maybe that's an unfair claim. I do think it is way too long though, and kids would get bored quickly. They would not be abl ...more
Jen
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Cute book with a great idea. But very heavy-handed on the premise of the book. Lots of words on each page would probably be too much for younger readers, and simplistic terms would be too childish for older readers. Often a particular phrase is used over and over again on the same page, making the whole thing quite boring. The graphics are bright and clear, but there is so much going on in each scene that it would take quite awhile to view everything. And the diversity of characters, while admir ...more
Michelle
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Who We Are! All About Being the Same and Being Different by Robbie H. Harris is a great book to read to k-2 students. The message is that everyone is different and this a great concept to learn. Students will be more appreciative and open about their differences and will respect one another for who they are. This is a wonderful book to teach a lesson on diversity and culture. Illustrations are interesting to look at and very detailed.
Bookishrealm
Okay so while I think this is an important topic for kids and I loved the diversity shown in the artwork it was just too long for the intended age group. Most children who are in love with picture books cannot sit still long enough for a book this long. I think that this is a great idea but for a picture book it should be short, concise giving the children just enough information to develop their understanding of what it means to be different.
Christine
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diversity
After a while the book became very repetitive by listing every single physical difference that people can have. By the time the book switches to explaining why people have these differences, I lost interest and children will definitely have. Despite listing every variation in skin, hair and eyes the book fails to address people with physical or mental disabilities.
Laura McLoughlin
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really nice book introducing kids to how people are different, but still the same. It features an interracial family with a wide range of skin tones. The background characters are also very racially diverse. My daughter told me that they had just read this book at her (relatively diverse) preschool, so that's good!
Miss Sarah
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This book did a nice job of pointing out all the things people have in common but that we are each different. For example we all have noses but each nose is shaped differently. Preschool and up for length and complexity. I found it a bit long.
Courtenay
May 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
WAAAY too long for younger kids. Preschoolers may lose interest in this book pretty quickly; serious editing could have helped immensely to get to ta few choice facts and make this entertaining and fun. I skimmed it and was still bored with the repetition. Good idea, but it fell flat.
Yoo Kyung Sung
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Let's Talk about You and Me series..
This edition talks about how people are all different in wide range~. Children may engage with this series as familiarity is great way to engage children to the books.
Jen
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
sooooooo long. I'd probably only pick certain pages to share with kids. Readers could tackle it all, and I'd be happy to talk it over with them, but not storytime or bedtime material. material appropriate for all ages.
Sue Poduska
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
All the many ways physical appearance makes seven billion prople the same and different.
Tara
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Great concept, but too many words for a young child to sit through. It is also too long for any kind of storytime, although the concept would be perfect for storytime.

Maggie
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
A great idea but much too wordy.
Gricel
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book to link units about human body and diversity. Also, finding similarities and differences concepts can be cover. 4 years and up. Simplifications may can be done for 3 years old.
Tracie
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, non-fiction, all
Within a simple story, longer facts are given about why humans looks different and what we all have in common.
Robie H. Harris has written many award-winning books for children of all ages, including the definitive Family Library about sexuality: IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL, IT'S SO AMAZING!, and IT'S NOT THE STORK! She lives in Massachusetts.

Let’s Talk About You and Me (5 books)
  • What's in There?: All About Before You Were Born