Start by marking “The Fox (Love, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fox (Love, #2)

The Fox

(Love #2)

Second in the celebrated series of wildlife graphic novels, author Frederic Brremaud and illustrator Federico Bertolucci turn their lens on a northeastern woodland setting to follow a single fox through its daily journey through the trees and along the seafront. Only this is not just another day -- a spectacular volcanic eruption throws the area into chaos, sending creatur ...more
Published October 15th 2015 by Magnetic Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fox

karen
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREG!!!

photo IMG_7117_zpsmy2gy3rd.jpg

this is a stunning book of sequential art in which the only words are the epigraph and a quote from emerson at the end.

i was a little concerned with the epigraph, initially, because it's one of those goopy new age-y sounding statements full of abstractions but signifying nothing:

IN THE ANIMAL KINGDOM, ANIMALS NEITHER LOVE NOR HATE EACH OTHER.

LOVE AND HATE ARE PARTS OF A NATURAL WHOLE. A SUPREME BALANCE MANY CONSIDER TO BE UNIVERSAL, OR EVEN DIVINE. AN ELEMENTAL LOVE.

A LOV
Carmen
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Such a gorgeous, wordless, hardcover graphic novel.

A fox is out hunting one day when a volcano erupts. Animals are rushing and running to get away from the lava and fires. She has one ruined, dead eye from a past fight. Can she escape the fires and lava (and other aggressive animals she meets along the way) with her life?

The fox is the MC, but she engages with many other animals along the way - rabbits, squirrels, polar bear, bear, orca, etc. etc. etc. It's a brutal dog-eat-dog world out there,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I liked the first book in this series, the Tiger, very much, but the story in this one was even better. We get to follow a fox and several other animals during a volcano eruption. It's a game of survival; it doesn't matter if you are big and strong like a bear, there is always something bigger than you that want to eat you and the volcano itself consume everything in its way. It's an absolutely fantastic story, no dialog or any text except the short text before and after the story. And, the art ...more
Vivian
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, fr, ng, graphic-or-comic
Circle of Life in the Kodiak archipelago.

The illustrations are absolutely lovely, truly beautiful. The color and design are very evocative, a spectacle of animal life. It has a condensed nature documentary storyline. There are no words, only imagery. It is presented in a storyboard format. This is not happy go lucky; death comes to all, both young and old alike. The title alludes to what to expect in the end.

The target audience due to the repeated implications of death, not graphic, clearly make
Trish
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I bought all three books in one go and spent quite some money on them. Sometimes with art books I just can't help myself.

In this second volume, we follow a fox through a day in its life. Again, no narration, no dialogue - just stunning panels full of vivid colours and strong images. However, there is a significant difference to the first: the titular fox is there throughout the book BUT there are quite a number of other places we get to see as well (such as underwater scenes)! Not sure why
Kelli
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second in the series, this gorgeous YA graphic was my favorite. Beautiful rendering of life on the tundra with the added danger of an erupting volcano. I was swept away by this wordless graphic's stunning and vibrant artwork, blending scenes of danger and impending peril with nature's beauty. 5 stars.
Skip
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
On a frozen volcanic island, inhabited by numerous predators, some of which are battling for supremacy, there lives a one-eyed fox. When the volcano erupts, there is panic and chaos and create chaos for the animals and birds there. Facing catastrophe, there is competition and détente. The fox has its own agenda as it races around the deadly forces: lava and predators alike. Nice artwork, but you will have to use your imagination here because there are no words.
Christine
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

Why didn’t anyone tell me about this series? Seriously, isn’t that why we get on those book websites like Goodreads and Booklikes? You’ll are letting me down. Because no one told me about volume one.
Because this is friggin awesome!

I can’t figure out if this is supposed to simply be a graphic novel about a fox or a children’s picture book about a fox. It doesn’t really matter. There is no text for the most part, just opening and closing quotes. The action involve
Sesana
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, animals
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

Like the previous The Tiger, this is really just about the gorgeous art. It's a wordless book, basically a day in the wild. There's a bit more going on here than in The Tiger, including a volcano. Still, not really much to summarize. But it's just so incredibly beautiful. A pleasure simply to look at, even if it is incredibly quick to read. But I've gone through it more than once, enjoying the incredible detail of the art. So, so pretty.
Althea J.
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, netgalley
Gorgeous art!!
What first drew me in was the stunning depiction of wildlife. This story has no words so as I was going along, what I thought was a beautiful meditation on the circle-of-life, food chain of the wild, became a story of survival and the dramatic impact of natural world phenomena.

A very quick and beautiful read!
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a copy to review.
I had initially received the first volume of this series but it expired before I had the chance to read it, so I was
Dov Zeller
Reading this book is a bit like watching a nature video in cartoon form with no narration and a narrative through-line—a very dramatic day in the life of an arctic red fox. It's part of a series, all quite similar experientially and yet, each has its unique setting and set of protagonists. They're a bit gory (in the tradition of many nature videos). I think my 6 year old neighbor would like them, but I also know some kids (and adults) who might find the extended nature-is-violent motif a bit muc ...more
Taylor Knight
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what this was about when I started so I didn't really have any expectations but The Fox really surprised me. This graphic novel follows a fox on an island how she tries to survive. There's no dialogue so I read though this really quickly. The art is amazing. It's so beautiful.
I'm definitely going to be checking out the others in this series because I enjoyed The Fox so much.
Littlebookterror
Again, a fascinating story with a plot I did not expect. The colours especially in this one are absolutely gorgous.
Morgan
Not only just 80 pages long, this graphic novel also contains no words.

So it seemed like a quick read, and it was...comparatively, but there was nothing quick about the way I moved from page to page. I had to pour over each one, because the art was gorgeous.

If you're a nature lover this one will probably appeal to you. A fox and other creatures fight and run for survival when there's volcanic activity in their home. It definitely had close calls and it's touching moments too.

The story was com
Jennifer Meyer
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the Love series.
Art is just wonderful.
Melissa
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best disaster book I've ever read... my heart was pounding with excitement, fear, and downright dread as this fox and so many others fought for survival.
Matt
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great story in the series. The artwork was top notch once again and the story was intense with a lot going on. This series is great for anyone who enjoys animals and/or nature.
Pavel Pravda
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love series - four trips into animal’s world

Czech version here: vlcibouda.net/komiks/love-ctyri-vylety-sveta-zvirat

Writer Frédéric Brrémaud and artist Federico Bertolucci created comics series named Love. No, it’s not erotic series, but a bit of that is there also. This series is about animals. Not about antropomorf animals, as is usual in comics books and animated movies. This is about wild animals. It’s like National Geographic documentary movies. These animals don’t talk. They are hungry, the
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this with no expectations whatsoever, since I didn't know anything about it. I kept seeing its release advertised, so I decided to check out the NetGalley advanced reader copy.

What I found was a surprise. This is a wordless comic that captures the creator's awe and respect for nature, as well as nature's beauty. The "story" roughly chronicles the eruption of a volcano on an artic island, and the animals' responses to the event, the fox in particular. The art is beautiful, and Brremaud
Elizabeth (Elzburg)
My only complaint as that it was only 80 pages. It was so good, and then it just ends, leaving me wanting moooorrrrreeee!!!!!

This was such a cute little story. It just shows a bunch of different animals, and what they're up to when something bad happens... It was so suspenseful, and it made me gasp, and I was showing my dad like "Omg look! The polar bear!!!" that's how into it I was. It was basically like watching a movie or documentary but there was never any words or commentary. Also, the art.
Wayne McCoy
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'The Fox (Love #2)' continues this beautiful wordless graphic novel series. I'm still confused why they've called it Love.

A one-eyed fox living on a frozen volcanic island is on the run from all kinds of predators and larger animals living around it. To complicate matters, the volcano decides to erupt and create chaos with the animals. Suddenly animals are thrown together, sometimes violently. Not far offshore a pod of orca whales waits to see what food might be available. Meanwhile fox just wan
Vippi
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the animal kingdom, animals neither love nor hate each other.

Love and hate are parts of a natural whole. a supreme balance many consider to be universal, or even divine. an elemental love.

A love that mankind could never experience.

This graphic novel tells a story with no words, only stunning drawings (the only words are the epigraph at the beginning and the final quote).
However, the artwork speaks perfectly, powerfully for itself, composing a lovely hymn to the beauty and might of Nature.
Riina Y.T.
This is probably the most beautifully done graphic novel I've ever come across.

It's magical.

The story of little fox and her pups is actually told in form of sequential art–without words– and the artwork, oh the artwork is simply breathtaking.

Absolutely stunning.

Reading LOVE: The Fox feels like taking a dive into another world.

It's beautiful. It's heartbreaking. It's... hopeful?

I'm reminded of an animated movie I watched when I was young, very young, too young to understand: Watership Down.
Paul Decker
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from Diamond Book Distributors via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

The cool thing about this series of graphic novels is the lack of dialogue. The story in each volume is told with beautiful artwork. In this second volume, a fox is followed during a volcanic eruption. There are many other animals featured trying to escape from the aftermath.

The elements are shown at odds in beautiful panels. The nature is exquisite throughout the graphic novel.

I give
Darth
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ugh. And I thought Love, the Tiger was amazing.

This one is, if possibly, even better. It brings in a more humanizing element, something else to strive for other than food.

I'll be honest, I cried.

I like these comics because they are VERY important. Animals in the wild are falling like flies. I'm going to make a prediction and say African elephants will be extinct before the end of the decade.

These comics help to illustrate (heh) the plight of animals as well as how meaningful their lives are.
Michele
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Magnetic Press continues to impress with The Fox, second in the Love series. Beautifully scripted and illustrated, the wordless book gives the reader the opportunity to become enmeshed into a story of survival in the face of one of nature's occurrences.

Many questions came to mind while reading The Fox. Do you fight or flight, and what is the cost of that decision? When are you in control and when are you not? And, what is most important when facing adversity?

I'm looking forward to the next boo
amomentsilence
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to amomentsilence by: netgalley
This was GORGEOUS! Even better than the first one! I loved the Fox's story, and the dynamic images that accompanied this wordless tale. As always, the illustrations are superb, and the transitions from one action to the next SOOOO insanely smooth and crisp. I couldn't have asked for anything better. NO complaints from me whatsoever!

I'll most definitely be recommending this series (but specifically THIS BOOK) to everyone I know! What a fantastic "read".
Lisa
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous book. I'm a huge fan of foxes as it is, but this book paints an incredible visual of the harmony of the earth and its creatures while barely even using words themselves.
MC Bonet
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love the art! Great story told without words.
Camille
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple, but touching story with absolutely gorgeous illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever
  • Good Dog
  • The Dark Island
  • Figment
  • Bear Despair
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • Mister O
  • Iron: Or, the War After
  • Raising Dion #1
  • Red-Blooded American Male: Photographs
  • Panter
  • Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4)
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • The Ghost, The Owl
  • Herobear and the Kid Volume 1: The Inheritance
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 12
  • Le Petit Loup Rouge
  • The Autumnlands, Vol. 2: Woodland Creatures
Brrémaud, de son vrai nom Frédéric Brémaud, né le 11 mars 1973 à Séoul, est un scénariste de bande dessinée français. Il signe également sous les noms de Brr ou Frédéric Alléluïa Brémaud

Love (4 books)
  • The Tiger (Love, #1)
  • Le Lion (Love, #3)
  • Les Dinosaures (Love, #4)