Start by marking “The Walnut Tree” as Want to Read:
The Walnut Tree

The Walnut Tree

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  26 ratings  ·  17 reviews

'It's time to break out of the shell.'

Ambitious, young, ‘would-be’ journalist Carrie Langford is impatient to be free from her boring, sterile life at the newspaper. Can she escape the guilt that is daily forced upon her by her troubled mother?
A chance encounter with a stuttering young farmer and his father, 'staring' old man Wilson, transforms her life and the lives of
Published July 9th 2015 by Caroline Wedd

Susan Hampson
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I was expecting when I began to read this book. what I got was a captivating and compelling novel that I simply was drawn to every spare minute I had. From the first moment the young farmer literally bumped into Carrie, her life would change forever. This story unfolds at a steady pace over a number of months but it has such depth, I felt apprehensive and an uneasiness of what would happen.
It is a story of opposites, pure love but the temptation of lust, happiness and cruelty,
Hilary Weinstein
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Although I ploughed my way through this book, I have to say I did not give up as something compelled me to read to the end to see what developed in the strange relationship between Carrie and Jon, the would-be journalist and the farmer's son.

I feel bad giving this only two stars but from the outset I found the style of writing difficult to cope with. There was a sub text going on throughout which was the thoughts of the characters and then on occasion, there was a page entitled dear reader which
Jackie Roche
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Tracy at TBC and Caroline Wedd for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest and open review.
I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started reading this. I didn't expect such an enthralling story.
I started reading this just before I went to bed and only put it down when I dropped my kindle. (Luckily there was no damage!)
Caroline Wedd's description of the countryside was so realistic I found myself transported there.
Carrie is a "real" person and at
Louise
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't describe how much I loved this book.
When I started it I thought it was odd, strangely written with barely drawn characters.
Suddenly I was gripped, I found myself thinking about it all the time, dreaming of the places and people.
It's a lovely story, but beautifully told, the language pulled me in and captivated me.
Barbara Beswick
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This review is from: The Walnut Tree (I was kindly sent this book via THE Book Club in exchange for an honest review)
The instant this book was liberated from it's jiffy-bag I loved it! Read hundreds of paperbacks over many years, and this one looked to be 'right up there'! Shiny, smooth, easy to read print on bright white pages that felt cold and new against my skin, - oh yes, I'm a touchy sniffer! The cover was mesmerizing. Was she actually kissing a tree? Ah, not simply a tree. On closer inspe
Nicole
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Walnut Tree follows young journalist Carrie's experiences as "the twentieth century landgirl" for a year. As part of her budding journalist career, Carrie uses a chance encounter with a young farmer to write her own column in her hometown's newspaper. She learns hands-on farming work and important life lessons.
This was not a book I read in one sitting, it was more like a gentle stroll through the countryside. Caroline Wedd perfectly sets the surroundings and detailed descriptions of situatio
Karen Carter
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received via TBC
This book did not immediately grab my attention, rather I felt I got to know, and care, about the characters as the book progressed. I ended up feeling extremes of emotion for different characters and literally wanting to shout at some via my kindle. I felt there were some questions left about some characters that maybe deserve a story of their own...? Indeed we were perhaps only seeing the beginning of the journey that some of our characters were on. Carrie and her friends and f
Susan Angela Wallace
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an arc from the book club (tbc) in exchange for an honest review.
Ambitious, young, 'would be' journalist Carrie Langford is impatient to be free from her boring, sterile, life at the newspaper. Can she escape from the guilt that is daily forced upon her by her troubled mother?
OMG. Wow. Absolutely fantastic read.
CNPID.
I loved the story and the characters.
Carrie made me laugh. She is my favourite character.
Some of the things she said.
This is a lovely feel good read.
It brig
Craig Gillan
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-book-club
Received book from the book club (tbc) superbly written book, characters are brought to life by authors great descriptions of them. Loved it and looking forward to next one
Timea
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
I tried to love this book as I though the storyline had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, I just couldn't really get into it. I found it slow-going, the inner dialogues unnecessary and a bit confusing. I kept on reading it hoping that the pace will pick up and I was also curious to see what happens to the characters, but I ended up skim reading it. I can understand why many people gave this book a high rating. It does have some character
Amy Rose
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was given this book to read in return for an honest opinion. This was one of a very few books I couldn't finish. I didn't enjoy the style of writing. I couldn't get to grips with all the thoughts in the main characters head, and then the chapters entitled Dear reader. I read over half the book but I was really waiting for something more interesting to happen than the usual mucking out and milking.
Nicola Mitchell
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read, which left me wanting so much for the main character, Carrie. I think another read of the book, would help me to understand some of the flow between the spoken and unspoken word. Got a bit confusing at times. An extraordinary amount of personification too. Everything was alive! I would recommend it though.
Philippa Mckenna
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tbc-widget
Firstly, I'd like to thank Helen Boyce and TBConFB for allowing me to read this book in return for this review. I'm sorry to say I just did not get on with it. I found it really quite hard to follow, and kept losing the thread. What I did love, was the way the setting for the book was described, and I thought there was a meaningful connection between the main characters. Just not my thing!
Jo
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this is a really difficult review to write. This book drove me mad in places with its repetition, I found it much too long and ended up skipping some of it (something I very rarely do). But on the other hand I wanted to keep reading, it find out the outcome and I was glad I finished it. As a farmer's daughter I loved the farming descriptions and I thought her calving scene and plucking shed were both excellent and took me back 30 years. The scene with the new born lamb was gorgeous and a ...more
Tim
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book - the story lines are brilliantly described, and once you've started reading it's very hard to put down - always makes you want to read the next section! Several stories in one, but all of them written so well - you must read it!!
Tammy
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I don't know how to explain it but I was drawn into it from the beginning. Looking forward to reading more from Caroline Wedd.
Loved it!
CHRISTINE MILLER
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this first novel. Liked the style of writing. Was sad to leave the characters behind so looking forward to reading the sequel.
Victoria Clark
Aug 05, 2015
Michelle
Apr 02, 2018
Nicola Chown
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2016
Mar 25, 2017
Donna Cotton
Apr 01, 2018
drawn in 1 1 Mar 09, 2016 06:15AM
“You must be prepared to step into the darkness if you want to live in the light.' (from The Walnut Tree)” 0 likes